The Official Mmma Musician Thread!

Well I been talking with RockinLesPaul this morning and got the idea to make a thread for us musicians! Lets all introduce ourselves and have a little place to chat about our music, our gear, our projects! Who knows maybe the MMMA band will form :lol:

I'm a Guitarist, played for the last 12 years, I'm quite versatile. I love to learn, I play in a "Deathcore" band, for those who are unaware, its heavy, drop tuned, Death Metal w/ aspects of Hardcore music. However I'm not a Gothic little Death Metal kid by any means, I like the music and I love the energy and crowd response from playing it. I also play in a acoustic 2pc project with a singer/songwriter friend of mine, more of a stage guitarist for this band as its his outlet but he's only played for 2 years on and off and needs backing, so I play and "produce" his songs while he strums chords and sings, by produce I mean I add touches of theory and leadwork. I also dabble in a Classic Rock/Blues project, we're kind of on the back burner while I'm in the studio with my current band. However we're more geared towards covers then originals but we have been contemplating writing a few originals for a set.

I play on a Custom built warmoth Guitar, Mahogany body w/ Maple top, Custom Dimarzio pickups, Warmoth Maple neck KWS headstock w/ Scalloped rosewood fretboard. It's also custom painted, over the top I can't even begin to describe things to you :lol: Also a Fender American Deluxe Strat, Natural burst, flush mounted Floyd Rose (I hate floating tremelos) Pretty much stock other then a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge, as I wanted a humbucker but don't like the look of a strat with humbuckers. My amps are a JCM900 50w head, w/ a Marshall 4x12 cab, Its was a EL34 model amp head, I had it modded for 6l6 tubes for the extra low end and head room, Also had the transformer changed in it because the one was burning tubes out so I upgraded it instead. Also a Vox AC15 reissue for the clean channel and bedroom/office jams :lol: A handful of pedals plague my pedal board as well but rarely anything other then the Delay gets used, sometimes the Phaser for a lo-fi like effect.

So thats my story, lets here yours!!

e0ccabf1.jpg

My Strat in all her glory!

gfront.jpg

My guitar prior to the scalloped neck.

guitarback.jpg

Back side

Nice thread.

I am also a guitar player, mostly jazz/blues, but also dabble in rock/classic rock. Primarily acoustic but that is just because I'm just too lazy and cheap to invest in a bunch of electrical gear.

I have a Mexican Telecaster Special, Washburn dreadnaught, and a beautiful springfield electric/acoustic. When I play electric I go through an original Line6 Pod and floorboard.

I play bass - grew up playing trumpet, we were doing gigs back when I was in 9th grade back in75 - played swing/jazz/pop -

I play on a fender jazz sw-1 - ampeg SVT set up - have not been in a band for about 2 years now -prior to that was doing local gigs at bars and clubs - 18 or so years on bass - fake it if I don't know it -I do have and play guitar also - but - I am a bass player.

awsome topic. rockinlespaul is my dad. i wish i still had my bass i loved that thing. but i would really like to get a set of drums. but i was watching youtube the other day u gotta see this. 8 year old playing metallica one. not bad for being 8.

king of buds

Nice thread.

I am also a guitar player, mostly jazz/blues, but also dabble in rock/classic rock. Primarily acoustic but that is just because I'm just too lazy and cheap to invest in a bunch of electrical gear.

I have a Mexican Telecaster Special, Washburn dreadnaught, and a beautiful springfield electric/acoustic. When I play electric I go through an original Line6 Pod and floorboard.

Awesome!! I'd love to learn Jazz guitar one day, so many technicalities and intriguing chordal modes. I always get frustrated when trying to self teach myself jazz stuff and just can't find the time to go sit down with a good teacher.

I play bass - grew up playing trumpet, we were doing gigs back when I was in 9th grade back in75 - played swing/jazz/pop -

I play on a fender jazz sw-1 - ampeg SVT set up - have not been in a band for about 2 years now -prior to that was doing local gigs at bars and clubs - 18 or so years on bass - fake it if I don't know it -I do have and play guitar also - but - I am a bass player.

Love the SVT amp, one of the greatest sounding bass amps ever produced!

awsome topic. rockinlespaul is my dad. i wish i still had my bass i loved that thing. but i would really like to get a set of drums. but i was watching youtube the other day u gotta see this. 8 year old playing metallica one. not bad for being 8.

king of buds

Awesome as well! Father & Son thats so cool. Wish my dad wasn't so uptight about good old MJ :lol: That vids not bad either, thats one of the first "solo's" I ever learned as well! Check this kid out, I'm not sure if he's really 8 like the video says but he's definitely young and can play some insane stuff!

Yeah, I'm the cool mmj friendly jammin' dad..... B)

Been playing guitar since I was 14(30 years...yikes!). Cut my teeth on Sabbath, AC/DC, Zep, Who, etc., etc., etc., etc.......

Not currently in a band. I play mainly Gibson's and Marshall's though I've owned just about everything there is out there. My only current guitar is a 2001 Gibson historic 1958 reissue Les Paul lovingly known as "The Freak" because of it's unreal tone. This was my best friend's guitar. He lives out in New Jersey and recently quit playing due to his ailments. Being his best friend, he sent it to me... :D

Let me introduce "The Freak"....

thefreak030.jpg

thefreak043.jpg

I've had probably 50 Les Paul's over the years, along with strats, tele's, V's, etc., etc...

Here's a Les Paul replica I had made a few years back. 50 year old growth mahogany, brazilian board, hide glue, PAF's, etc...

Replica020.jpg

And my 1955 Gibson Les Paul Junior I recently sold off. I'll miss her... :(

juniorfront.jpg

juniorback.jpg

I enjoy mainly hard rock, classic rock, metal and good blues.

Here's a Les Paul replica I had made a few years back. 50 year old growth mahogany, brazilian board, hide glue, PAF's, etc...

Replica020.jpg

That top is absolutely GORGEOUS!! I'm diggin the pink inside to that case as well!

Kingdiamond should be chiming in soon. He's a guitar player as well.

Yes i am i love playing and have been since the mid 70s only problom is i still suck lol !

My gear includes

marshall solid state 100 watt half stack

Boss gt-8 guitar processer

ESP custom strat i built myself that has a dimarzio x2n in the bridge and a fat diesal blues pickup in the neck with a floyd rose trem

Custom built blue flamed warmouth strat with a maple neck and a custom wound black ops 57 ohm active distortion pickup with a floyd rose trem.

byd4trwbwkkgrhgohdwejll.jpg

My influences over the years

Eric Clapton

Randy Rhodes

Gary Moore

Michael Schenker

Jimi

Stevie

Tony Macalpine

Paul Gilbert

Tony Iomni (Who i actually got to meet along with the other original members of black sabbath in 96 at harmony house in taylor!)

I love ESP guitars, I've always wanted a ESP Horizon, I love those guitars, they play so well. I just hate how almost everything in america is a LTD. Thats quite the influences list pretty much sums up my idols lol!

Thats quite the influences list pretty much sums up my idols lol!

Well theres a ton more i didnt mention like

Frank Zappa

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

George Lynch

billy gibbons

steve stevens

Mick Ronson

Glen Buxton

Yngwie Malmsteen

My musical tastes vary from metal to the bee gees.

Hi again I see my guitar pic came through, it may be blurry from being resized. I don't like posting large pics like I see here, they take up so much space, though they are nice. To me, I'm not a good guitar player, I think my playing stinks, though I've been playing for many years also, but I am a very good singer. People say I'm good on guitar. We are our own worst critics sometimes. A lot of the names I see here of people's influences, are unfamiliar to me. I'll share more later.

Sb

Love this thread, that Gibson is gorgeous rockinlespaul. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years now. I learn 90% of covers on acoustic that way when I get on electric I just let it fly. I still to this day would choose my acoustic over my electric. I got into playing stuff like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God for a while, but now I'm back to learning acoustic songs mostly. I also enjoy learning covers that people don't expect to hear on acoustic (Michael Jackson, Rick Astley and other various pop/r&b songs) Been in a few bands that didn't last that long (others that were not dedicated). Oh how I miss those days when we actually played. I have 7 guitars (3 acoustic, 4 electric), I play 3... The first one is a $60 Johnson that was my first guitar. Elixir nanoweb strings. My favorite guitar of all time. This guitar is ugly, dents and scratches all over the place worn strum area. When people play this they cant believe how good it plays and how good it sounds. The second is an Ibanez RG 2EX2 that one is for my heavier rock songs it has EMG pickups, wizard II neck. This guitar plays so smooth. For only $300 this was an amazing deal. My third one that I play the least of the three is an Ibanez JS 100. This is a lead guitar players guitar. This guitar runs about $700-$800. Everyone loves this guitar, me personally I don't find anything really too special about it.

There is something that is just so relaxing to me as soon as I pick that guitar up.

• 2 months later...

Bump for inactivity. Awesome day last night, my custom modded JCM900 decided it was time to quit, almost made it to 20 years old, hopefully I can fix it, its not the tubes or transformer though and I'm scared to pull the board. On a brighter note, I'm buying A Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet head made of pure orgasm and bliss.

I didn't see this. I am a "wanna be" bass player. I say that cuz I have a little over a year and a half on bass, but I am getting better and better everyday. I can now play with 3 of my fingers, for strumming, starting to learn how to slap, and can play decent with a pic. I have a Fender International Series Milestone 3 and a Fender Basic 123 50w Bass Amp. Nothing special I know. My dream bass look wise, at the moment, is a B.C. Rich Zombie Exotic 5 string. I play all different stuff, from country and blues with my dad, more rock with my friend, and all over the board when I am by myself. I am not in a band now, but when I get better, according to ONLY MYSELF, I will be the bass player of "Irons In The Fire". That is my dads band. I think I have like 4 songs from him. My dad played lead guitar, bass, and lead vocals, of course not at the same time. Then he has a drummer and a pianist. I hope to get good enough some day to start making my own music. I am working on 2 different songs, well just the bass lines in the songs with a basic 4 count. I would say that my influences would be.... wow, where to start, anything that sounds good...lol But NonPoint, Pantera, Korn, Slipknot, Bobafelx, Mudvayne, and many, many others. Currently I am learning some classical music, but that is HARD!!!

Hey Jipo & Zombiefryd, it sounds like you guys would have a good time jammin' with a young fellow I know. I will show him your thread and see if he wants to talk or jam or whatever you music guys do. Keep playin!!:goodjob:

Bump for inactivity. Awesome day last night, my custom modded JCM900 decided it was time to quit, almost made it to 20 years old, hopefully I can fix it, its not the tubes or transformer though and I'm scared to pull the board. On a brighter note, I'm buying A Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet head made of pure orgasm and bliss.

You'll be happier with the Uberschall for your kind of music Jipo, trust me.... ;)

Since we're updating, here's my new baby...

This is a remake of the famous Peter Green/Gary Moore 1959 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst standard comissioned by a private builder. More authentic then the aged version Gibson just released and their's is 10K.

This one is completely handcarved including a one piece neck. 50 year old mahogany, brazilian fingerboard, hide glue construction, long neck tenon and real PAF pickups.

It's a pleasure to play...

les_paul_056_11234714_std.jpg

les_paul_050_11234832_std.jpg

greenyfreak003.jpg

I too am a musician. I've played guitar for about 25 years. I grew up playing a lot of hair band and thrash metal stuff, as well as some jazz, and world music. And i have added a few other instruments to my repertoire. I play bass, resonator guitar, lap steel, drum kit, djembe, doumbek, and (barely) played tablas for a short time.

My musical tastes are still all over the place as well. my favorite guitar players are vernon reid and nels cline. but i still love steve vai, satch, and yngwie. i love great hardcore music, 50's and 60's jazz, mathcore, motown and gritty funk, acoustic music (michael hedges and ani difranco), and a lil bluegrass too!

i am not currently playing with any bands. i do occasionally play with some friends that i have played on and off again for the last 15 years.

I'm guilty of playing music. Started playing sax in '65 and string instruments since '72.

Began teaching private classes in '77, college in '85 and retired this year. Schooled at Berklee, classes of '79, '84, '90, '98, '02, and '08. Studies in Theory, Harmony, Composition, Performance, Ear Training and Digital Recording/Mixing/Mastering.

Worked for Warner Bros., Hal Leonard, Columbia, and a few other publishers doing music transcriptions.

Main gtrs are Godin LGXT (MIDI synth controller) and a classical gtr made in Spain. Amp is Bose PAS.

Influences are too numerous to list but include: Jazz, Rock, Blues, and the Carnatic music of India.

Playing solo for some years but recently put a band together with some old bros.

Have much recorded (released 3 CDs and produced more for other artists) but hesitate to link to any of it due to privacy concerns.

I attempted to create a 'Musicians of MMMA' CD last year, but due to lack of response, the project was cancelled.

Maybe one day, we'll all get together and have a real nice MMMA jam. :thumbsu:

Always keep making music. Music is superior to words.

Peace.

I have a guitar and want to learn how to play it Lol does that count? Maybe someone cool from here can teach me.

Go to my gallery to see it because any time I try to post a photo on here I get this message...It is under my guitar LOL

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

Nice thread! I am not a musician, but I do manage a band from West Michigan. They have been featured in Billboard Magazine as well as main stages at festivals around the country. Serious heavy hitter. Rock/soul/blues. I love being involved in music and can't believe how many talented people there are in MI. What a state!

Archived