Pain Pill Reductions With Mmj

I would like to get some idea of the percentage of Pain Pill Reductions amongst our MMJ users here-like is the average 25%, or 50% or ? I know that if we can get more stats SHOWING that MMJ is in fact saving the Health System money, we can help to further the acceptance of MMJ in a BIG way!!

So if you are taking MMJ for Pain Reduction, please list the number and dosage per day of the specific pain-directed meds you took/take pre and post your utilization of MMJ.I promise to calculate the results daily if there is enough interest in this issue.

Zanix ...Been talking 6mg of Zanix a day since 2002..Down to 3 ..BP is down..Feeling pretty dam good..Not pain..related..Yet still drug related...

I was taking Vicodin 750mg 2-4 times a day along with a naproxin or 2. When I HAVE ENOUGH high quality cannabis I do not need to take the vicodin anymore at all. The problem that I have been running into is that I have only just obtained my legal MMJ status about 1 month ago and am still piecing together the equipment i need to grow my own medicine so im stuck getting it from a patient for now at a high price. I consume about 2oz per month ideally and i cant afford that and the equipment I need to grow currently. I did, however wean myself off Vicodin completely, my doctor and I are very pleased with the results MMJ has had in regards to this, not just because of the addictive nature of Vicodin but also because it reaaaly messed with my digestive system.

I am hoping that once I finish getting the equipment I will no longer have to ration my MMJ so closeley. When I smoke as much as I need I function much better that I ever did with Vicodin.

Hi Dark !!!!

Many thanks for your report.

I wish you luck on your grow efforts...be sure you do not have any firearms in your house if you have MMJ around..plants or even useable cannabis.

Did the Vicodin cause any constipation issues ?

When you are smoking, do you usually smoke to just take the edge off the pain.....or do you get stoned ? several of my contacts emphasize that they do not smoke to get high...they smoke to get their work done by reducing the pain to a more manageable level.

And, finally, I am curious as to your pain condition's cause...auto injury or ????

Many thanks, dr. Jinx

Did the Vicodin cause any constipation issues ?

When you are smoking, do you usually smoke to just take the edge off the pain.....or do you get stoned ? several of my contacts emphasize that they do not smoke to get high...they smoke to get their work done by reducing the pain to a more manageable level.

And, finally, I am curious as to your pain condition's cause...auto injury or ????

I smoke so that I can move around and do my work without biting people heads off. My pain is intense enough that it never goes away completley and I don't sleep well. This causes me to get very irritable during the day especailly when the spasms get bad. I think the best way to explain it is that the intoxicating effect the THC produces calms my nerves and helps me cope, while the natural CBDs relive some of the pain.

As for the nature of my injury, It occoured during a street hockey game in a 3 man colision which I was at the bottom of. My friend came down on me knee on my neck, and another player fell on him. I now have pinched nerves and fused discs in my neck. My neck now also curves the wrong way. So it's kinda like it's stuck in the wrong position.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will ever make the pain dissapear. Vicodin did not, when I was in the hospital morphine did not even really work. I would not get the sugery for it even if I could afford it (I have no health insurance) It is high risk and would require me to be in halo traction for some time, and I am claustrophobic.

Yes the Vicodin caused me constipation and other nastier ailments.

I smoke so that I can move around and do my work without biting people heads off. My pain is intense enough that it never goes away completley and I don't sleep well. This causes me to get very irritable during the day especailly when the spasms get bad. I think the best way to explain it is that the intoxicating effect the THC produces calms my nerves and helps me cope, while the natural CBDs relive some of the pain.

As for the nature of my injury, It occoured during a street hockey game in a 3 man colision which I was at the bottom of. My friend came down on me knee on my neck, and another player fell on him. I now have pinched nerves and fused discs in my neck. My neck now also curves the wrong way. So it's kinda like it's stuck in the wrong position.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will ever make the pain dissapear. Vicodin did not, when I was in the hospital morphine did not even really work. I would not get the sugery for it even if I could afford it (I have no health insurance) It is high risk and would require me to be in halo traction for some time, and I am claustrophobic.

Yes the Vicodin caused me constipation and other nastier ailments.

Hi Dark,

Thanks for the follow-up.

I am glad that the MMMA allows you to have this legal option and it sounds as though you are using cannabis to so attenuate your pain that you can do your job....and not get high....am I right ?

It is always amazing how a "little accident"-as you ending under a pileup at a street hockey game...can result in such a tragic outcome...I applaud your use of MMJ over narcotic analgesics and am so very glad for you that you have got something that works.

Are you using a strong indica strain ? I have heard from contacts that Galactica produces a very sound sleep.

Dr. jinx

I personally have said in previous thread, That I quit taking ALL the narcotic pain meds I was on Fentanyl 100mkg, Oxycoton 80mg, Lorcet 10mg.

I quit it all, The Judge made me stop smoking and start pain pills again... I'm right back where I started, waking up taking a pill taking them at lunch time now.. I cant afford Marijuana. gallery_14200_584_193284.jpg

anywho, I'm right on the verge of quitting marijuana altogether I have way to many bad experiences because of this medical MM crap, and since the Judge made me quit smoking and start taking pain meds again. I'm right back to square one with my addiction... I hate you for this Judge Viviano, i hope your days in power come to a end quickly.. I'm for real super pissed... the Dr. just diagnosed me w/ PTSD. because of all the crappy things the police have done to my brain.!!!! I'm a prisoner in my own home, and I don't want anything to do with marijuana anymore. the police and the court are killing me due to this fake azz marijuana law, I'll go back to the freaking pain meds least I can die w/o the stress of not knowing if im gonna get busted AGAIN! and not have to go through this court B.S anymore. I don't have to feel like a vagrant and beg the Dr.s for pain meds. but that's how I feel everyday when I seek out MM like I'm looking for a handout. I have never felt like this before I became disabled and it makes me sick.. anywho I'm done ranting.. just fed up.

(pot traumatic stress disorder)

Trix :bong2:

anywho, I'm right on the verge of quitting marijuana altogether I have way to many bad experiences because of this medical MM crap, and since the Judge made me quit smoking and start taking pain meds again. I'm right back to square one with my addiction... I hate you for this Judge Viviano, i hope your days in power come to a end quickly.. I'm for real super pissed... the Dr. just diagnosed me w/ PTSD. because of all the crappy things the police have done to my brain.!!!! I'm a prisoner in my own home, and I don't want anything to do with marijuana anymore. the police and the court are killing me due to this fake azz marijuana law, I'll go back to the freaking pain meds least I can die w/o the stress of not knowing if im gonna get busted AGAIN! and not have to go through this court B.S anymore. I don't have to feel like a vagrant and beg the Dr.s for pain meds. but that's how I feel everyday when I seek out MM like I'm looking for a handout. I have never felt like this before I became disabled and it makes me sick.. anywho I'm done ranting.. just fed up.

(pot traumatic stress disorder)

Trix :bong2:

Hi trix ......

So sad to hear of your situation. I take it that when you got raided and they found the MMj they also found you had a firearm...a pistol or a rifle in your home...am I right ?

Can you afford an attorney...probably not.

It is really sad how things have turned out for you...

Dr. Jinx

Back surgery in 2009. I no longer take pills. Was on pain pills and muscle relaxer.

(I also stopped taking Cymbalta......wife liked me better on it.)

:bong2:

Peace !!

Hi there, Budz...

Many thanks for your report.

How many and what were you taking in the way of narcotic analgesics before you stopped in favor of MMJ ?

Why did your wife like you "better" when you were on cymbalta ?

Sometimes I note that, we men, we get so much into our MMJ that we tend to neglect our spouse at night and and go off to sleep without evening a goodbye kiss or hug...we may be too "stoned" night after night...bad mistake !!

Please correct me if I am way off.

I do not mean to offend..just curious and wondering.

Dr. jinx

1337GR:

I applaud your stamina and determination.Your anecdotal comment is wonderfully revealing and very helpful. Please keep us informed re how your use of MMJ is assisting in the pain management once you get legal.

Ibuprofen? What Ibuprofen? I have taken 4 Ibuprofen in the last 3 months i bet. Nothing else. Cannabis cures.

• 2 months later...
When I HAVE ENOUGH high quality cannabis I do not need to take the vicodin anymore at all.

Well it was worth a shot anyways...

Yesterday the pain was finally just way too much. I wound up in the ER. Lately I guess, I have been pushing myself a bit too hard the surgery that I have been trying to avoid is now an inevitability if I ever want to be able to function. My hands are getting worse as well. I have no insurance either, I have re-applied for state aid once again. But since I work and make money, and have no children I most likely wont qualify for what I need.

So they gave me some vicodin...enough for a few days. I can not afford the surgery so what the F else am I going to do? I can barely move my head rifght now it's so bad.

Please excuse the whining. It is helping to get this off my chest though. I am ashamed for taking tjhese darn pills. I feel like the beat me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was worth a shot anyways...

Yesterday the pain was finally just way too much. I wound up in the ER. Lately I guess, I have been pushing myself a bit too hard the surgery that I have been trying to avoid is now an inevitability if I ever want to be able to function. My hands are getting worse as well. I have no insurance either, I have re-applied for state aid once again. But since I work and make money, and have no children I most likely wont qualify for what I need.

So they gave me some vicodin...enough for a few days. I can not afford the surgery so what the F else am I going to do? I can barely move my head rifght now it's so bad.

Please excuse the whining. It is helping to get this off my chest though. I am ashamed for taking tjhese darn pills. I feel like the beat me.

Your not alone in your struggles or thoughts . Though you may be facing them alone .All the programs pain patients are going through this . Cannabis for me allowed me to eliminate my pain meds long enough for them to be effective again and I have learned I am basically on my own . Nobody can help other then to make sure I have access to pain control . I understand emergency rooms and the public will never support me , even hurt me because they just do not have the knowledge I do about my circumstances . They can't feel my pain In my case they are not able to diagnose overly severe withdrawl symptoms or my bowel issues . It is a crime our State does not have continuation of care laws for depednent medications along with guaranteed slow titrations off for patients and it should be carried over to addicts in a civil infraction system with maintenence and treatment that is voluntary . .

The key to survival is to work within your disabillity not against it . Avoid what triggers your pain while keeping as fit and active as possible . Easier said then done . I am a c section injury patient among other issues like arthritus . I scream in pain most mornings and there is nothing anyone can do it sets the tone for the whole day its often that traumatic . I consider myself lucky compaired to many . I look and act normal when people see me Bbut I know the key is to slow down and work with your limitations not against them . Put emphathis on activity that doesn't agrevate your pain .and avoid what does within reason . You may have to change work habbits or find two doctors to support disabillity . I know its tough mentally to grasp and do . I make mistakes all the time . My love is to ride my bike and my neck swells everytime I do and I have to lie still after ......taking meds for a day or two to return to normal . Your not alone .

Surgery isnt always good but if thats what you need do not give up . Maybe a hosptial program will help . McAuley has some financial assistance you may have to choose another surgeon who works at a hospital with assistance . Or go on disabillity for medicare I pray you have family to help the transistion requires savings most people do not have . I do not know the details of the new health care program as I have been on medicare already but maybe that will help soon . It took years for me to get help don't give up . It is so sad our legislators are not supporting us having campassion centers where we can use our medicine and meet others transmitting infomration . Most people have never been injured to where they need to be medicated to literally be able to function or think clear at rest or low activity levels . Abstinence of pain pills is a great goal but it isnt a means unto itself for patients pain problems . You have to do what you need to survive . I have been reading information from the American Pain Foundation for years patients should realize everyone is different and every therapy effects others differently one is not better then the next and dependancy is terrible and should be avoided but there are cases where its the best option . Freedom of choice is always the best option .

BTW there are online chronic pain support groups where people may feel more comfortable expressing their pain as everyone there knows whats up or they wouldnt be there . Being in pain for days , weeks , months years takes a toll on anyone . Telling the truth and getting out frustrations are not whining nor is feeling confused as society puts pressure on one to do this or that . You have to do what helps you . Took me 16 years to find peace to fight for what I need regardless of societal pressures . I am a pain patient not a criminal . Nobody can evaluate my pain but subjectively and I shouldn't have to suffer because they get it wrong guessing . Doctors are to assist patients with choices not manage them for imaginery ideals to hypothetical ends within the largest statistical population metric .

Edited by Croppled1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was on 2 medications and have completely eliminated one of them. The other medication that I'm still currently on has reduced 25%. This is good information to share with potential patients and good talking points to gain support however, I would imagine the pharm industry isn't pleased at all. wink.gif

I was on 2 medications and have completely eliminated one of them. The other medication that I'm still currently on has reduced 25%. This is good information to share with potential patients and good talking points to gain support however, I would imagine the pharm industry isn't pleased at all. wink.gif

Meet Your New Cannabis Dealer: Big Pharma

http://www.cannabisnews.org/united-states-cannabis-news/meet-your-new-pot-dealer-big-pharma/

I am prescribed 90 mg of meyhadone and 60 flexeril, and 60 xanax, I have degenerative disc deterioration/disease, When I smoke/eat my meds./medibles i am only taking 3-6/ day of the methadone, and flexeril......i just had a nerve test done and my deterioration has started shutting down/killing my nerves, so all u ppl just using this medical card to make money and rip ppl off deserve to be shut the fuckkkkkkkkkkk down, as I am a true patient, and see caregivers that screw there patients everyday as well as the sleezy dispensaries charging 30/gr Rip Off (i grow my own and way better than anything that i have ever bought anywhere in this state).....So maybe some of these dispensaries need to be closed down that rip patients off..........YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE $30/gr .......YOU ARE LOSERS TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK......And i praise all you out there that are trying to help patients, and not make some drug dealer a buck........

I would like to get some idea of the percentage of Pain Pill Reductions amongst our MMJ users here-like is the average 25%, or 50% or ? I know that if we can get more stats SHOWING that MMJ is in fact saving the Health System money, we can help to further the acceptance of MMJ in a BIG way!!

So if you are taking MMJ for Pain Reduction, please list the number and dosage per day of the specific pain-directed meds you took/take pre and post your utilization of MMJ.I promise to calculate the results daily if there is enough interest in this issue.

Wish i could paste my Veterans Affairs medical records on here.... 25 flippin pages of medications ive been on.. and i only been goin to the v.a. for 3 years!!! been on EVERYTHING for pain from methadone, morphine, anexsia, fetanayl, oxycottin,dilaudid u name it i was on it and im only 25 (my v.a. doctor actually went to prison for OVER PRESCRIBING imagine that hey) ... i was straight addicted, now they got me on suboxone...that crap is addicting as hell too... u just cannot win!!! BUT.... starting smoking again and cut my suboxone down by alot!! I cannot mix M.J. and suboxone cuz i get head dizzy and sick!!! and MJ helps way more wit pain anyways!!! went from straight needle junky to a "normal" person.... really proud of myself!!! THANK YOU M.M.

What VA were.you going to when they put you on all those drugs???

• 2 weeks later...

I utilize MMJ now in substitute to prescription pills. I went through a long withdrawal period but let me tell you if you get off all the darn pills and just allow your body to flush out and only smoke the herb you will eventually feel better about yourself. I actually was addicted to pain medication for 2 years, I abused methadone, the worst narcotics out there that has the LONGEST withdrawal period. I was taking 10 mg on average a day for approx. 2 years and then I cut down over one week and then just stopped cold turkey and that was about two years ago and now I wouldn't even think to go back to the pills to numb my pain..Other medications that I was using were prescribed... Alprazalom- 1mg every 4-6 hours as needed is what i was prescribed to for my extreme anxiety disorder and Bi Polar disorder. Now that I have my card I slowly got myself off the xanx and now I ONLY take it when i have panic attacks or on occasion when I have a lot of stress and troubles sleeping. MMJ is the best medicine out there, I smoke when I wake up every morning now instead of taking a xanx to get my day started:) MMJ just allows me to relax, I'm just so much calmer. I wish people would realize it...yes I am a statistic to this.

Thanks, K-la

This is exactly the type of thread I want for my own research. I have interviewed several patients about this issue. All agree that cannabis provides a level of pain relief equal to Codeine but NOT as good a Vicodin or Percocet. This is consistent with some research on this particular issue. Everybody I spoke with in chronic pain was able to get by on less than 1/2 of the pills they were taking before- and in 2 cases they stopped taking pills completely.