Cereal City Cc Member Killed By Bc Police

Updated: Suspect killed by police

Comments 47 | Recommend 0

July 21, 2010 9:06 AM

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A Battle Creek police officer has been put on administrative leave after shooting and killing a man.

The victim of the shooting has been identified as 32-year-old Leroy Leslie Nelson Jr.

Police say it happened around 4:45 Wednesday morning on Oakhill Drive near Echo Street.

Officers say the officer shot the man when he attacked them.

Battle Creek police are still piecing together this latest shooting in the Cereal City.

This is the second officer involved shooting in Battle Creek this summer.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/officer-fatally-shoots-knife-suspect

Police were first called to the area just before 5:00 am after several residents reported a man wandering this neighborhood armed with a knife.

Police are not releasing much information at this hour, but neighbors describe what they saw.

"Police said they were looking for a tall guy with tattoos - next thing I knew there was a big ruckus up there," said Rob Garkey.

Residents who live nearby tell us they saw several spot lights and a police dog combing the neighborhood trying to track the suspect down.

When police found him they say he became violent and attacked.

That's when one of the men opened fire, killing him.

My thoughts and prayers goes out to this young mans family!

We have only knew Leroy for a few months as he was a member of our club,and was very helpful in daily club duties. He was struggling with life,living place to place...but gave his compassion so much to help out any patient or caregiver in the club. He was not medicating{he was a MM Patient} do to trying to get a job to get on his feet again.

Its a shame that BC police have to use deadly force as the tax payers paid for the leo to have stun guns,WHY SHOOT TO KILL? :growl:

This is the 3rd officer shooting a person in Battle Creek this year! One was they shot a mentally retarded man w a meat cleaver in his hand,that was threatening them...i cant recall the other shooting.Hope someone stands up to the leo over this matter!

Rest in Peace LEROY!

Ohh...just to show how compassionate Leroy was..he road his bike to Bc hospital like his life depended on it when my wife was recently stabbed and robbed at our head shop in BC!

Even tho the news continues to make him out to be a bad guy,he was a great person!

Guest Medicinal Patient

Ohh...just to show how compassionate Leroy was..he road his bike to Bc hospital like his life depended on it when my wife was recently stabbed and robbed at our head shop in BC!

Even tho the news continues to make him out to be a bad guy,he was a great person!

:( Dude that is so sad. Could you share these stories with woodtv so he is portrayed in the light he deserves? And the killing a mentally Handicap guy? wtf!? My condolences to all the families and the victims of these tragedies. If a fund is set up and the family requests donations to pay for the funeral and burial please let the board know. darn :(

My thoughts and prayers goes out to this young mans family!

We have only knew Leroy for a few months as he was a member of our club,and was very helpful in daily club duties. He was struggling with life,living place to place...but gave his compassion so much to help out any patient or caregiver in the club. He was not medicating{he was a MM Patient} do to trying to get a job to get on his feet again.

Its a shame that BC police have to use deadly force as the tax payers paid for the leo to have stun guns,WHY SHOOT TO KILL? :growl:

This is the 3rd officer shooting a person in Battle Creek this year! One was they shot a mentally retarded man w a meat cleaver in his hand,that was threatening them...i cant recall the other shooting.Hope someone stands up to the leo over this matter!

Rest in Peace LEROY!

Same here in Clare, a cpl years ago they shot and killed a handi cap man. @special trained cops,emptyed there guns on him.

Leroy Nelson and Maggie my other CC side kick at Willow Ranch"peace fest"!

Leroy helped out vending all weekend,tried to offer him money for helping and he didn't accept it! Even tho we was broke as a joke :( and no job,he still refused to take money for helping!

post-10871-045167800 1279801543_thumb.jpg

I am so sorry for this horrible injustice Scotty. The police are out of control.. For example this happened to my 24 yr old dtrs friend 10 years ago. In Mt Pleasant Mi. A 15 yr old boys mother called the police to come and help her regain control of her Son who had stopped taking his medications for several days and was threatening to kill himself. When the police arrived the mother met them outside and wanted to accompany them inside but they stopped her and would not let her back in. The son was freaking out and charged outside to stop the police from touching his mother. The cops shot this 15 yr old mentally unstable boy dead in front of his mother who had called them for help. THere was no need to kill this young man. Rip Leroy and tommy..

He Scotty why was your HEad shop robbed..? Not sure about coming to the canna market if there is going to be violent people there because I do no tlike carrying my guns on me even though I am a legal CCW holder. This is disturbing to the least that people are targeting MJ relateed businesses now....what has this world come to ..?

I am so sorry for this horrible injustice Scotty. The police are out of control.. For example this happened to my 24 yr old dtrs friend 10 years ago. In Mt Pleasant Mi. A 15 yr old boys mother called the police to come and help her regain control of her Son who had stopped taking his medications for several days and was threatening to kill himself. When the police arrived the mother met them outside and wanted to accompany them inside but they stopped her and would not let her back in. The son was freaking out and charged outside to stop the police from touching his mother. The cops shot this 15 yr old mentally unstable boy dead in front of his mother who had called them for help. THere was no need to kill this young man. Rip Leroy and tommy..

Yep call 911 and you die :growl:

The head shop was robbed by a low life,we now have stepped up to top notch security!

I myself am have CPL permit do to this theft! The robbery had NOTHING to do w the compassion club,the thief is looking at 25 to life in prison over this matter as it was MY wife that got stabbed and cut before he even asked to rob her...hope he gets LIFE!

With the world mostly on unemployment,CRAP will happen....

~PEACE~

ScottyBud

He Scotty why was your HEad shop robbed..? Not sure about coming to the canna market if there is going to be violent people there because I do no tlike carrying my guns on me even though I am a legal CCW holder. This is disturbing to the least that people are targeting MJ relateed businesses now....what has this world come to ..?

You go anywhere in the state of michigan without your piece your a fool you got you ccw for a reason dont get caught empty handed by some lowlife.

I've been following along with the site, but haven't posted in forever and a day.

enough's enough, guys. as each day goes by, this forum sounds more like the michigan militia, than the MMMA. yes, it IS wrong to harass MM users, but jeeze o petes! you make a run at anyone with a knife, and they have a readily available gun, YOU'RE GOING TO GET SHOT! if i had a gun on my hand and this dude is charging me with a knife, he's going down. PERIOD. you would do the same.

now, to threaten an officer's life? that's just asking to be shot. every cop has been trained that if someone is coming at you with a knife, shoot them! EVERY COP, EVERY STATE, EVERYWHERE!!

to support MM is one thing, but to lose our senses, is another. this kind of talk is NOT going to help us get it legalized for everyone. you're making us look like a bunch of idiots that a sensible person wouldn't support.

so the guy was a MM patient, a friend to some here, a son, and whatever else he was to anyone else. i'm sorry for the loss, but if I see the cops, I'm not going to incite them to shoot me!! yes, that is what they are trained to do! there is a reason they carry a gun! you need to respect that reason, lest share the same fate.

I've been following along with the site, but haven't posted in forever and a day.

enough's enough, guys. as each day goes by, this forum sounds more like the michigan militia, than the MMMA. yes, it IS wrong to harass MM users, but jeeze o petes! you make a run at anyone with a knife, and they have a readily available gun, YOU'RE GOING TO GET SHOT! if i had a gun on my hand and this dude is charging me with a knife, he's going down. PERIOD. you would do the same.

now, to threaten an officer's life? that's just asking to be shot. every cop has been trained that if someone is coming at you with a knife, shoot them! EVERY COP, EVERY STATE, EVERYWHERE!!

to support MM is one thing, but to lose our senses, is another. this kind of talk is NOT going to help us get it legalized for everyone. you're making us look like a bunch of idiots that a sensible person wouldn't support.

so the guy was a MM patient, a friend to some here, a son, and whatever else he was to anyone else. i'm sorry for the loss, but if I see the cops, I'm not going to incite them to shoot me!! yes, that is what they are trained to do! there is a reason they carry a gun! you need to respect that reason, lest share the same fate.

Your a 100% right,if ya fight w leo w a knife you get whats coming. BUT as a compassion club and me a compassion club leader,we have a open hand to help all MM patients!

I don't feel what Leroy did was right or what the leo did was right..we all are humans and humans make mistakes! Right or wrong he was still a good person that help out w many CC duties in the club! May he rest in ~PEACE~

Archived