I Got My Baby Back!

No i'm not talking about Applebees ribs ;)

In 1994 I was at the Cannabis Cup and got some Bubblegum seeds from T.H.Seeds. I came home, a college kid totally geeked to finally grow some world class genetics. I got into it hardcore, skipped soil growing and went straight to hydro thanks to guys the at SGS in East Lansing. A few years later I traveled to British Columbia, and picked up some seeds of a strain of blueberry, I cannot recall the breeder as it was someone local to their scene but it was very berry flavored. This was my my first try at breeding and I crossed the female clone of bubblegum to the best male out of 20 blueberry seeds I popped. I had created my own version of bubbleberry. I grew out a batch of seeds and picked the best female and grew that as clone only for several years.

Well the worst thing in the world happened about 4 years ago, I lost my girls to the boys in blue. My babies they took my babies!

Flash forward to this summer, I run into a friend who I havent seen in years and he had been given some of my bubbleberry back in the day, 5+ years ago I would guess. Well he had found 5 seeds in a jar and kept them for years and just this summer gave them to a patient friend of his to grow out. I was invited over to see what came about from it and sure enough, he has it, my baby! I knew it as soon as I seen her, the dark shade of green it has is unmistakable, I touched her and the very strong smell of berry filled the air, I almost wept, it was like finding a lost child. Well luckily he took some cuttings off her that rooted and gave me a few :)They are rough looking but I think I can pull them through. Now I just have to sweat it out and see if the keeper he has hermies in flower, so far so good 4 weeks into flowering.

Well, I have decided that if all goes well and this ends up being a close resemblance to its grandparents that I will attempt my first run at feminized seeds. I have studied for years on how to create feminized seeds and know several different ways to do it, but just have never tried as I do not like the chances of hermaphrodite genes showing up. Any advice from those who know what they are doing is greatly appreciated.

I will make sure to keep a good grow log on here in the coming months with plenty of pictures as I do this step by step.

I'm so happy, im all smiles that I got my BABY BACK! ;)

Guest Medicinal Patient

The feel good story of the Summer!

Couldn't of said it better myself! Sweet lookin avatar too! Congrats on such a touching reunion HLS! Great story! :thumbsu:

• 1 month later...

Well, I have decided that if all goes well and this ends up being a close resemblance to its grandparents that I will attempt my first run at feminized seeds. I have studied for years on how to create feminized seeds and know several different ways to do it, but just have never tried as I do not like the chances of hermaphrodite genes showing up. Any advice from those who know what they are doing is greatly appreciated.

Like you stated Herban, feminized seeds have a good chance of producing hermaphroditic offspring. I'd rather deal with male plants, they aren't sneaky and are what they look like they are.

I personally feel that there is too much reputation at risk in releasing seeds that will likely produce hermaphroditic plants. Calling them feminized would be a little misleading imo. People might accept a hermie or 2 in normal beans but when they pay extra they expect higher quality. If they were reasonable and the consumer is fully aware of the possibility of hermaphroditic plants then that would be more acceptable imo.

If you want to produce beans and accept cash for your services and stay "legal" you have a very small market to work with compared to folks who sell beans on the black market. By legal I mean only hooking up legal Michigan growers. In such a small market I think reputation is imperative. Under such scrutiny those who produce top quality will be those who succeed in the long haul.

There will be a demand for a variety of top quality Michigan made seed strains. I think you are on the right track by questioning the integrity of "feminized" seeds and will move on to create better things. I do look forward to seeing your work out there HerbanLegends, whatever you decide! :goodjob:

Like you stated Herban, feminized seeds have a good chance of producing hermaphroditic offspring. I'd rather deal with male plants, they aren't sneaky and are what they look like they are.

I personally feel that there is too much reputation at risk in releasing seeds that will likely produce hermaphroditic plants. Calling them feminized would be a little misleading imo. People might accept a hermie or 2 in normal beans but when they pay extra they expect higher quality. If they were reasonable and the consumer is fully aware of the possibility of hermaphroditic plants then that would be more acceptable imo.

If you want to produce beans and accept cash for your services and stay "legal" you have a very small market to work with compared to folks who sell beans on the black market. By legal I mean only hooking up legal Michigan growers. In such a small market I think reputation is imperative. Under such scrutiny those who produce top quality will be those who succeed in the long haul.

There will be a demand for a variety of top quality Michigan made seed strains. I think you are on the right track by questioning the integrity of "feminized" seeds and will move on to create better things. I do look forward to seeing your work out there HerbanLegends, whatever you decide! :goodjob:

dang! I'm all out of "+" to give, already!

darn good answer, tricloud!

Thanks to all for sharing!

Be FREE!

SHARE The CURE!

Thanks guys,

Yea Tricloud well said, I have thought about the consequences if I try to make feminized seeds and if they end up crap hermaphrodites, that is why I have slowed down and taken the time to test everything I cross myself and make sure whats released is 100% quality genetics, I am in no rush, we are just getting started here in Michigan, plenty of time to make things happen the right way

I am considering finding another good blueberry male to cross with the bubbleberry to keep things simple instead of trying feminize them, perhaps call it "Double Bubbleberry" ;) Its just so hard to find a "good" reliable bluebery seed now days.

I also have B.O.G. Sour Bubble males I could put into the mix as well now that I think of it, hmmm could be interesting, "Sour Bubbleberry" ;)

No hermie issues in Dr. Greenthumbs genetics that I've heard of. I'll let you know for sure soon enough though.

Herban...good luck in your endeavors! I noticed we share a full page of beautiful cannabis pictures in the May 2010 issue of Michigan Medical Marijuana Magazine. :thumbsu:

I'm sure some breeders are better at it than others but facts are facts and I constantly hear horror stories about feminized seed. I was talking to a guy last night who said he found a male in a pack of feminized seeds. A few weeks back another grower told me he got 3 males from a pack of feminized beans.

Keep us posted on the DocGreenthumbs feminized seeds though. If I had to try feminized seeds I would definitely research Docs work.

• 8 months later...

Archived