Michigan House Bill Would Ban Marihuana Clubs

mremre

Legislation headed for the Michigan House seeks to ban marijuana clubs that have opened since voters approved use of the drug for medical purposes in 2008.

Republican Rep. Rick Jones of Grand Ledge said today he is introducing legislation to ban the clubs because marijuana users shouldn’t be encouraged to drive. Jones said it’s a safety risk, and people authorized to use marijuana should do so at home.

Marijuana club owners said there’s nothing prohibiting them from operating, and they provide an important service. There are pending court cases involving some club owners that could set precedents for how they’re allowed to operate.

The House bill would punish violators with up to 90 days in jail.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100819/NEWS06/100819088/Michigan-bill-aims-to-ban-medical-marijuana-clubs#ixzz0x65gFjcF

Hey .. this is great!!

So many people here agree that these folks should be out of business ..

Then everyone gets to go back to the street.

Legal growers and providers will be out of business, so everyone gets to purchase their medicine from criminals.

Cool folks .. Let's put every caregiver in jail .. really cool.

Let support crime again.

Legislation headed for the Michigan House seeks to ban marijuana clubs that have opened since voters approved use of the drug for medical purposes in 2008.

Republican Rep. Rick Jones of Grand Ledge said today he is introducing legislation to ban the clubs because marijuana users shouldn’t be encouraged to drive. Jones said it’s a safety risk, and people authorized to use marijuana should do so at home.

Marijuana club owners said there’s nothing prohibiting them from operating, and they provide an important service. There are pending court cases involving some club owners that could set precedents for how they’re allowed to operate.

The House bill would punish violators with up to 90 days in jail.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100819/NEWS06/100819088/Michigan-bill-aims-to-ban-medical-marijuana-clubs#ixzz0x65gFjcF

Dont have to leave our pills home, heck you can take them any wheres .That way you can eat them regulary. But for heavens sake dont smoke a Marijuana cig, You mite have a better day.

Its sad that marijuana is so taboo. Thousands of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters die every year b/c the average watering hole over serves its customers. The worst thing about it is that it keeps happening. What about the prescription pills? The whole thing is a joke.

With people drinking and taking pills, isnt that away to control population? Now if every one used Marijuana there would be way to many people On earth...JUst a thought.

OK fox this guy.... website: eye on jones, follows his record of voting in the house

his GOP house info

pulled this from the GOP site pertaining to this forum posting...

------------------------------------

August 19, 2010

State Rep. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, today introduced legislation to ban the marijuana bars and clubs that have popped up in Michigan since passage of the state's medical marijuana initiative, saying users should not be encouraged to drive on Michigan streets.

House Bill 6394 prohibits medical marijuana bars and clubs from operating anywhere in Michigan. The legislation imposes up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine for violators. Jones introduced the measure after a marijuana club opened in Williamston.

"Marijuana users who patronize these clubs invariably will have to drive home, which puts the people of Michigan at tremendous risk," said Jones, a former county sheriff. "I believe Michigan voters intended for people in pain to use marijuana in the safety of their own homes, not in bars and clubs where they then car drive a car and endanger people's lives."

Jones earlier this year participated in a televised debate with the owner of the Williamston pot club. At that time, the lawmaker became convinced that the practice was a hazard to the public.

"When the medical marijuana initiative was passed, voters did not envision the creation of clubs where users could get high and then drive away, endangering people," Jones said. "I have no objection to pain relief for a true medical need, supervised by a real doctor. However, we do not need 'clubs' springing up in cities or next to schools."

----------------------------------------------------

special awards on his bio from eaton county republican party:

---------------------------------------------------

Special Awards

Rick has been awarded the Service to Children Award from the Eaton County Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Council, the "Very Involved Person" Award from the Greater Lansing 100 Club for volunteer work, as well as appreciation awards from the Dimondale Lions, the Olivet Rotary, and the American Legion. He received the Charlotte Community Excellence Award for volunteer work from the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. He was also awarded Eaton County Sheriff’s Award for Bravery.

During his first term in office, Rick has been honored as Legislator of the Year by:

The Fraternal Order of Police

The Dads and Moms Association of Michigan

The Michigan Sheriffs’ Association

The Great Lakes Shooting Sports Association

The Police Officers’ Association of Michigan

Fight Crime: Invest In Kids (early childhood education)

The Above & Beyond Award, presented by the Department of Defense, National Guard and Reserve

Michigan Farm Bureau has named Rick as a Friend of Agriculture

----------------------------------------------------------

MI farm bureau named him a friend? How and more importantly why? Me thinks MI-HEMP might wanna look into this

eaton county GOP

Ballot/voting info, ballotpedia

Bit of history for ya... "

Rep. Rick Jones Gets Tasered in Committee all for 'the sake of Michigan women'

about him getting tased bro

and here he introduced a bill to ban other substances like "k2"... some milve story

Thank you google for lightening fast results though not thourough/complete

Lets see to it that Republican Rep. Rick Jones of Grand Ledge. NEVER gets reelected again to serve this state again.

"Marijuana users who patronize these clubs invariably will have to drive home, which puts the people of Michigan at tremendous risk," said Jones, a former county sheriff. "I believe Michigan voters intended for people in pain to use marijuana in the safety of their own homes, not in bars and clubs where they then car drive a car and endanger people's lives."

Tremendous risk, what an idiot.

Wake the "F" up Rick Jones of Grand Ledge. These "pot clubs" have been operating almost since the law was instated. Shouldn't we have a problem before we need to waste tax payer dollars. Where the hell are all these pot club related accidents?

There aren't any because marijuana doesn't impair driving ability nearly as much as booze. If you are too "high" to drive just wait a few minutes and it will be good. Try doing that after you've been drinking. These idiots really just need to smoke a joint before they start deciding how dangerous marijuana is, seriously. Oh and not after they have been drinking.

In other countries they have done testing on drivers abilities after using marijuana and actually found that people drive safer under the influence of marijuana. Although reaction time may be a fraction slower people tend to drive slower and pay more attention to the road.

Has there been any approved testing here in Michigan? They should have to do testing to see how marijuana influences driving ability before they start making laws like this. They should also have to do testing to see how people drive after drinking coffee, 5 hour energy, caffeine, cough medicine, nicotine and every other drug while they are at it. I'm willing to bet somebody amped up on coffee drives far more dangerously and aggressive than somebody who has smoked.

The witch hunt continues..........

This is clearly another attempt to prevent legal marijuana use. These clubs are beneficial to the community, the Genesee County Compassion Club has donated lots of cash to local charities and people in need. They better stop and think about what they are banning.

Link to what the G3C has been doing: G3C Gives

Jones will easily win election to the Senate in November, because of the character of the district. He is ideologically opposed to MM.

IDK there were several postings by people who said they voted for him and because of how he handled the whole affair with the campaign poster they were not pleased

\ck it out

http://noise.typepad.com/john_schneider/2006/10/readers_wag_fin.html

he is a douchebag and people are starting to see he is a leaky douchebag. I doubt this bill goes anywhere and they cannot target private clubs which is what compassion clubs are, PRIVATE and not subject to the law as far as is reported. They did use the word public. I am a member of a private club and I am sure we can start more if needed. The VFW and others will be getting exemptions from the smoking ban based on private status

I think the character is not accurately represented by votes as it is a fact that the more people as a percentage of those eligible increases then it is less likely a republican will win.

Eaton County voted 61.2% so almost 2 of every 3 people he meets disagrees with him

Studies on marijuana and driving safety are remarkably consistent, though greatly under-publicized because they fail to support the government’s anti-pot line. Eleven different studies of more than 50,000 fatal accidents have found that drivers with marijuana-only in their system are on average no more likely to cause accidents than those with low, legal levels of alcohol below the threshold for DUI.

The major exception is when marijuana is combined with alcohol, which tends to be highly dangerous.

Several studies have failed to detect any increased accident risk from marijuana at all. The reason for pot’s relative safety appears to be that it tends to make users drive more slowly, while alcohol makes them speed up.

Thus legalization could actually reduce accidents if more drivers used marijuana instead of alcohol, but it could also increase them if there were more combined use of the two. http://blog.norml.org/2010/08/09/risk-of-stoned-drivers-minimal-with-prop-19/

It won't pass, its just a campaign issue, a red flag for some people to get worked up over. D&D - The demographics of the Senate district make his election, especially this year, virtually certain. That is not to disparage Michelle DiSano in any way, she would be a far preferable Senator, imo. The Legislature's website doesn't have it posted yet, we'll post it for review when it goes electronic.

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

- Thomas Jefferson
:mellow:

It won't pass, its just a campaign issue, a red flag for some people to get worked up over. D&D - The demographics of the Senate district make his election, especially this year, virtually certain. That is not to disparage Michelle DiSano in any way, she would be a far preferable Senator, imo. The Legislature's website doesn't have it posted yet, we'll post it for review when it goes electronic.

just gotta get out the vote and hammer home the violation of the law and his mendacious, dissembling answer to the accusations. I do not live there so I m just bloviating here.

They can't restrict the right to peacefully assemble. The law is unconstitutional.

EXACTLY! MM people are part of the public he serves, whether he likes it or not and he will learn one way or the other that he serves them.

What factual information did he base his proposal on? He reminds me of San-Fran-Nan (Pelosi) with proposals like that.

Scare tactics and, frankly, false implications. It leads the general public to believe CCs are nothing more than "drug users" using the MM excuse to get together and legally consume marijuana for fun.

If what he was implying were true, can you imagine how many people would have already been arrested and made publicly known for political agendas? We would be hearing about "yet another MM THC driver" on the news all the time.

If driving is an issue use a designated driver. Better safe then sorry. However, I would suggest that any and all CC goers drive defensively in case any drunk drivers are on the road after leaving a bar or happy hour, where it is somehow legal to regularly serve people who become legally intoxicated, all over the United States, through out the week, regularly.

I am confused as to why public servants, city officials, and LEO representatives do not go to compassion clubs so they can know and learn first hand about a situation, learn to see people for what they are; human beings, but that would only be if a person wanted to know and actually CARED about the truth, instead of their own self serving agendas.

People like him won't prevail because nothing will stop the truth in coming out. Lies don't hold up so well these days, not even where federal authorities are concerned.

HOUSE LAWMAKER UNVEILS MEASURE TO BAN MARIJUANA CLUBS AND BARS

August 19, 2010

Rick Jones

"Marijuana users who patronize these clubs invariably will have to drive home, which puts the people of Michigan at tremendous risk," (HUH???) said Jones, a former county sheriff. "I believe Michigan voters intended for people in pain to use marijuana in the safety of their own homes, not in bars and clubs where they then [can] drive a car and endanger people's lives (HUH???)." (This is typical of an ignorant politician who I believe is intentionally motivated for another agenda, while at the same time doing his best to scare, shock and awe the general public from knowing the truth. Vote him out or help him see the truth. All he cares about are votes. That's his language.) I don't want any of my tax paying dollars to pay his salary! In fact, if it did, I want it back!!

Here is his website with his view on this issue:

http://www.gophouse.com/readarticle.asp?id=6626&District=71

Here is his contact information:

Send your letters

CONTACT INFO

LANSING OFFICE

We are located in the:

Anderson House Office Bldg.

N-1090 House Office Building

Lansing, MI 48933

MAILING ADDRESS

N-1090 House Office Building

P.O. Box 30014

Lansing, MI 48933

Phone: (517) 373-0853

Toll Free: (888) RICK-071

rickjones@house.mi.gov

I can't tell you how wrong that is for him to voice what HE thinks everyone else "intended". Obviously the voters intended to have CCs or they would not exist and not be growing. He better remember the number of voters that already have cards and are applying for cards.

If a person's home was the only place MM was allowed to be consumed, the law would have stated that, but it clearly does not. If this ignorant and self serving person took the time to read the MMM Act he would know exactly what was intended and exactly what the law stated. He doesn't care about anyone who qualifies for MM unless there are enough to vote him out.

Taken from the MDCH website:

Question: Where can I consume medical marihuana?

Answer: Presuming you are registered with the state patient registry and carrying your registry identification card, you may consume medical marihuana on your property or elsewhere. However, the law does not permit any person to do any of the following:

(1) Undertake any task under the influence of marihuana, when doing so would constitute negligence or professional malpractice.

(2) Possess marihuana, or otherwise engage in the medical use of marihuana:

(a) in a school bus;

(b) on the grounds of any preschool or primary or secondary school; or

© in any correctional facility.

(3) Smoke marihuana:

(a) on any form of public transportation; or

(b) in any public place.

(4) Operate, navigate, or be in actual physical control of any motor vehicle, aircraft, or motorboat while under the influence of marihuana.

Since this buffoon is so concerned about impaired people putting citizens at tremendous risk, I will expect to see his face plastered all over the TV and internet campaigning to make alcohol illegal and closing down every store and bar that sells alcohol in Michigan.

This all really shows how little they know and care to know about marijuana and public safety.

Darn pot heads are the root of all evil aye? No proof what so ever that marijuana accidents are happening after club visits. All kinds of proof that alcohol causes accidents. Not a single maneuver to stop drunk driving.

It's not about public safety Jones and you know it. You are just a twisted uneducated person who hates marijuana. You refuse to educate yourself. If you did you would understand that even the most potent varieties of cannabis do not intoxicate like booze does. I'm willing to be that you swill on your bottle of booze like a swine and cry about "those darn pot heads" the whole while. When you need a new bottle you probably jump into your car and run over a few innocent pedestrians on your way to the liquor store.

We know how you boozing public servants are. You have the largest hard on for marijuana than anybody. Your friend Randy Colbry already let the cat out of the bag.

Public safety my mule.

Rick Jones is just nervous by what is "blowin' in the wind".

He may be hearing the words, in his mind (or on XM or classic rock stations) penned by The Guess Who

"There's a new mother nature taking over.

There's a new splendid lady come to call.

There's a new mother nature taking over, and she's gettin' us all. She's gettin' us all!"

:))

Archived