How To Rewet Bone Dry Bud?

From time to time in the course of drying/curing I end up with bud that is too dry; it crumbles and fragments (so it has no end use but to end up in edibles). I wonder, is there a way to "rewet" it so it is once again a high quality smokable? I am afraid of trying to rewet it but ending up with moldy compost.

Get a tote or Tupperware bowl and some lettuce leaf or a piece of bread periodicaly check your buds texture

May I ask how are you currently drying and curing?

I hang dry mine in a closet for 3 days with a fan circulating directly under the buds then i cut each individual bud off the stem and place them in plain brown grocery bags for the additional drying process usually 2-4 more days then they go into widemouth mason jars to cure.

I hang cut plants over a rope in a dark room 70 degrees F and dark, with fan oscillating to keep air the moving. When I'm gone for two weeks (and that's often) my choice is to shut the fan off and risk mold or leave it run and risk bone dry. Any suggestions?

Two weeks is way too long the buds are turned to dust if i leave them hanging for more than 10 days usually around 8 days its time to jar it up.

I hang cut plants over a rope in a dark room 70 degrees F and dark, with fan oscillating to keep air the moving. When I'm gone for two weeks (and that's often) my choice is to shut the fan off and risk mold or leave it run and risk bone dry. Any suggestions?

Two weeks is a long time, I'd turn the fan down considerably and make sure it's not directly hitting the bud with air flow. Leaving the fan leaves on might help retain the moisture if you know you have to leave for two weeks, but then the risk of mold is much higher. Don't leave, stay and tend your crop if at all possible.

I always used water to re-hydrate my bud that got really really dry. I'd put 1 drop of water in the baggie (usually about a 1/4 oz.) and throw it in the fridge overnight. the next day the bud was hydrated and flexible like a fresh new bud. you dont want it wet, so when I say 1 drop of water to about 1/4 of dry bud I mean 1 drop! it has always worked for me. it brings the buds back to like new texture and freshness.

I always used water to re-hydrate my bud that got really really dry. I'd put 1 drop of water in the baggie (usually about a 1/4 oz.) and throw it in the fridge overnight. the next day the bud was hydrated and flexible like a fresh new bud. you dont want it wet, so when I say 1 drop of water to about 1/4 of dry bud I mean 1 drop! it has always worked for me. it brings the buds back to like new texture and freshness.

you avatar is well lets say

I've used lettuce and water to rehydrate weed for years, with no ill effect on the product. Both work great as long as you don't over do it.

Most anything else (especially fruits) will leave some type of residue or flavor in the final product, not always for the better.

A few drops of water or the white part of the lettuce work the best. Green lettuce leaves can wilt and turn slimy quickly but the white hard pieces near the core or at the base of the leaf works the best as it wont break down as fast as the green leaves.

Usually a few drops of water or a few chunks of white lettuce left in a jar or bag over night will rehydrate your MJ. If it's too wet let it air out a bit and then re-cure it (or it could mold if it's too wet). If it's still too dry do the over night process again until you get the moisture level you want.

After a few tries you'll learn how much you'll need to do the job. A little goes a long way, so use caution when re-hydrating so you don't get it too wet to smoke!

Just out of curiosity why can't you just use a traditional humidor? I have a rather large one for cigars and an electronic device that allows me to dial in the humidity. I keep it at 70%, but, if I forget to refill the reservoir and the humidity drops, I can turn it up for a couple days and rehydrated the cigars no problem. It's like a no brainedrfor me.

I have heard of lemon, lettuce, orange peel, water, apple pear. And a few others.

I have tried a couple, and seemed like of the fruits, the apple leaves less flavor behind than say, an orange peel. So if you don't want orange flavor or lemon, apple or pear is a lot more subtle.

The idea above of putting some MJ leaf material in there is a great one IMO I really like the idea of using the same material to rehydrate, and not leave any unintended flavors behind. Fixing weed with weed ;) I'm going to have to try that some time :D

I have heard of lemon, lettuce, orange peel, water, apple pear. And a few others.

I have tried a couple, and seemed like of the fruits, the apple leaves less flavor behind than say, an orange peel. So if you don't want orange flavor or lemon, apple or pear is a lot more subtle.

The idea above of putting some MJ leaf material in there is a great one IMO I really like the idea of using the same material to rehydrate, and not leave any unintended flavors behind. Fixing weed with weed ;) I'm going to have to try that some time :D

I've used fresh or nearly fresh bud also, to re hydrate. Usually just to add a little extra moisture, but it can improve the smell and flavor too.

Archived