400 Vs. 1000 Who Wins?

PadroPadro

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we got this straight.

-People buy 1000's and then wish they had bought 2 600's.

-600's (especially dimmable's)are the most versatile and efficient

-If you have two of something and one breaks, you still have one left

-With 2 600 dimmable lights, you can configure for 300W, 450W, 750W, 900W, 1050W or 1200W

-You can use 2 HPS, 2 MH or one MH & one HPS at the same time if you need to

-You can put one 600 in a veg room and one in flower if you need to

-You can place plants closer to 600's

I ran 400w CMH bulbs for years, and was happy with performance and yield was fine for me. I upgraded to 1000W HPS lights, and the improvement surpassed the high expectations that I already had. Harvest weights supported well in excess of the difference in running costs.

So, my opinion? 1000W lights are well worth the extra electricity cost, considering increased yield, and increased flexibility (i.e. with 1000W watt lights plants will grow fine over a larger area, so I can easily add in extra plants along the perimeter of the main grow).

edit: forgot to add: I should have mentioned that I would have stayed with 400w lights if I were only growing for myself. Fewer worries about heat.

X2

My plants have grown right into the glass on my 1k aircooled hood with no burn so my vote goes to the 1000 watter. :thumbsu:

More lumens more light coverage.

King what fans do you use with ur air coooled system? That is one of my biggest concerns is keeping a 1000watt room cool. Its easy with 400s but is it with 1000?

So I'm guessing sensei Bubblegrower agrees with the 1000 dimmables as the best option?

I ran 400w CMH bulbs for years, and was happy with performance and yield was fine for me. I upgraded to 1000W HPS lights, and the improvement surpassed the high expectations that I already had. Harvest weights supported well in excess of the difference in running costs.

So, my opinion? 1000W lights are well worth the extra electricity cost, considering increased yield, and increased flexibility (i.e. with 1000W watt lights plants will grow fine over a larger area, so I can easily add in extra plants along the perimeter of the main grow).

edit: forgot to add: I should have mentioned that I would have stayed with 400w lights if I were only growing for myself. Fewer worries about heat.

1000 all the way....no contest.

uh oh its gettn a lil one sided hahahaa

1000s hands down id agree increase yield and i think they speed the process up a bit who dont want an extra 60-80k lumens the digilux i run are 155k a piece they are great i have 2 400s also i run in a tent so i got a good birds eye view of difference gl

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yup :)

King what fans do you use with ur air coooled system? That is one of my biggest concerns is keeping a 1000watt room cool. Its easy with 400s but is it with 1000?

I utilize 1 442 cfm 6 inch inline for the hood and filter

I also use a converted oscilating table fan for air movement and two 9 inch converted table fans mounted face up in the floor of the bloom box to draw kool air from the vegetation area.

It depends on how your cooling it if your pulling in this frigid air you should have zero issues but i have odor control issues so mine runs off of a tallboy cannister filter then pulls through my fixture then outside I'm running the big kahuna hood 31x27 (or something like that) in a 5x5x7 bloom box so its a confined area and heat does become an issue but i simply just open the bloom box door while the lights are active and let the room breath that puts my temps in the high 70s low 80s with the door shut Ive gone as high as 90.

1500 watt Master Blasters!! I jam 2 of em, 440,000 lumens on the center plants in my bud room. NOTHING like total concentrated lumens. put 4 of em on a sun circle and watch the suns go by... and the crystals would be even more insane.. Not braggin but aint seen nothing come close to resin production given off by the Master Blaster. used to use 3 1000's, but the 2 1500's are far superior. planning on a rotator and doubling into 4 1500's. Also looking into Plasma lighting from Chameleon grow systems due to increased PAR spectrums making it superior to everything out there. cost is irrelevant when something pays for itself. Buy a 600 for your clones or starters. GO BIG or stay home.

1500 watt Master Blasters!! I jam 2 of em, 440,000 lumens on the center plants in my bud room. NOTHING like total concentrated lumens. put 4 of em on a sun circle and watch the suns go by... and the crystals would be even more insane.. Not braggin but aint seen nothing come close to resin production given off by the Master Blaster. used to use 3 1000's, but the 2 1500's are far superior. planning on a rotator and doubling into 4 1500's. Also looking into Plasma lighting from Chameleon grow systems due to increased PAR spectrums making it superior to everything out there. cost is irrelevant when something pays for itself. Buy a 600 for your clones or starters. GO BIG or stay home.

1500 does sound cool. But for a sog, srog probably overkill as the plants wont use the full penetration depth of the 1500 if they don't reach that height.

Pondering if a 1000W light is brighter (better?) than a 400W or 600W, is like asking if a 400HP car is faster than a 250HP.

Or if a thousand Watt stereo is louder than a 100W.

Is the fastest car the best? Is the loudest stereo the best?

Is the biggest and most expensive always the right fit?

When you are considering how components fit together in a system, there has to be a perspective on efficiency, cost and overall goal.

I'm sure if there was a 174 trillion Watt light, someone would buy it for 20 million dollars, and say, "Hey man, my new 174 trillion watt system rocks! It's as bright as the sun!!"

Archived