How Much To Use.

I'm new to cooking with cannabis. I have an idea how to make cannabutter. but i'm having trouble with the amount to use. per pound of butter. I pretty much have a tollarence for thc. so how much top med grade buds. Should be added to it. I was suprised how much some of the recipes vary. some say 1/4 some say a 1/2 so i have no clue. could someone help me please.

Depends how strong you want it , I think. For a pound of butter I think half to an ounce would be very potent.

Maybee someone with more experience will chime in. I would be curious at what wieght of bud would no more thc be extracted with a pound of butter.

When I make my butter, glycerin , bho I use the bottom 1/3 of 2 plants and all the trim. So I am not sure what that equals.

Different strains of MJ will provide different end products.. Both in overall flavor profile and effect.. A little experimentation with strain and or combination of stains, and amount used will be necessary to provide a desired end product.. A good amount to start with would be between 7-14g of fine quality cannabis per lb of butter.. Lesser nug or sugar leaf trim will do nicely.. After your butter is prepared try a tsp sized smear on an english muffin or even better a warm homemade biscuit.. Add a little honey, peanut butter or jam and you have a true "Pharm House" treat.. After a few batches it is pretty easy to hone your skills and figure out the amount needed to provide a desired effect for your individual taste.. MMMmm... Biscuits.... Peace, Love and Big Buds

wow, some really good advice on this :)

Personally, when I've made butter.. Haven't the foggiest how much in weight I've used. But I have used the same amount of plant every time.

I use a really thick walled little ceramic glazed bowl and a dip warmer as sort of a double boiler.. I fill the bowl with plant, then bundle that matter into a small package wrapped lightly in cheese cloth. The package goes back into the bowl with a pound of unsalted butter.

I suppose should I have the occasion again to be asked to make it, I should weigh out how much I use.

Everyone here has offered good advise. Personally, I like to use an oz. of bud shake per lb. of butter. For instance: choc chip cookies use 1c (or half pound) of butter. They usually yield around 30. That means 14g is in the whole batch and then divide that by the yield and you have the amount per cookie. So, that's another good thing about and oz. per lb. is that no cookie is too powerful and the math is easy.......good luck with your treats.

Real trick is getting rid of the chlorophyll - green taste - in the butter.

I soak it out of it - wrap in cheese cloth and submerge in room temp water for 24 hours - changing the water every time you see any green tint - works well for me and removes most of the chlorophyll.

I suppose should I have the occasion again to be asked to make it, I should weigh out how much I use.

You should always weigh what you use. This is the only way to determine what strength works best for you. This is also how you insure the same level of enjoyment and relief with each batch.

The same process is used to make oil.

Have you all purchased your copy of Ms Chocolate Medical Edibles Cookbook?

I just found this, don't know how accurate it is.

Most recipes call for the manufacture of a certain quantity of "Bud Butter", which is then used as butter would normally be used in a cooking situation. THC is not a water-soluble compound, so butter would naturally be a good carrier substance for injestion. One version of a recipe for this kind of butter is included, the recipes are not. Use your imagination and you will find better food to make than the recipes I have.

Rough Guide To Consumption

1/16 (1.75g) med quality resin

12 people FLOATING

8 people FLYING

4 people IN OUTERSPACE

1/8 average weed (3.5g)

15 people FLOATING

10 people FLYING

5 people IN OUTERSPACE

1oz shade leaves (28g)

15 people FLOATING

10 people FLYING

5 people IN OUTERSPACE

Concept420

Real trick is getting rid of the chlorophyll - green taste - in the butter.

I soak it out of it - wrap in cheese cloth and submerge in room temp water for 24 hours - changing the water every time you see any green tint - works well for me and removes most of the chlorophyll.

You can remove the chlorophyll color and taste by boiling it a couple of times. Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a boil. Put your finished butter in the water. Once it melts pour it back into a bowl and put in refer. Let it get solid again and pull it out of the water and clean off the bottom. Again bring the water to boil and put the butter in the water and let it melt. Remove from heat and pour back into a bowl and put back into refer. After a couple of times the butter will turn back to yellow and you will get rid of most of the clorophyll taste. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Great information being posted here!

Does the same information everyone has provided hold true for using oil instead of butter? Does that make any difference in the amounts of trim or bud to use?

Everyone's product is a little different so it may vary. I only use honey oil in my medibles and everyone loves them. I use 7 grams of oil to a batch of rice crispy treats and there awesome. I believe being able to ad the oil with least amount of cooking time also preserves the thc level a little bit.

I would highly recommend using Plugra European butter because it has a butterfat content of 84-86% whereas domestic butter has around 80% butterfat content. THC is fat soluble so by having more fat in the same amount of butter, that translates to more THC being able to be absorbed. You can pick it up at Meijers for $2.79 for a half pound. If you're a foodie like me, once you try Plugra your whole culinary world changes. :) Just curious, is there anyone else out there that considers butter one of their top 5 favorite foods? Also, make sure you heed the advice of others and use water to remove the chlorophyll taste. It makes a big difference. Good luck and have fun! It's a learning journey!

• 2 months later...

It never stop amazing me how helpful everyone on here is .......

I just started making butter and like most everyone states it a learning trial and error thing but you must keep track of how much trim you use cause thats the only way you'll have consistant medz and you can adjust from there....

ps cant wait to try the 86% butter thanks willy wonka

It never stop amazing me how helpful everyone on here is .......

I just started making butter and like most everyone states it a learning trial and error thing but you must keep track of how much trim you use cause thats the only way you'll have consistant medz and you can adjust from there....

ps cant wait to try the 86% butter thanks willy wonka

Its called compassion.

Those people who work for us in Lansing and DC had better learn how to be compassionate and stop thinking we work for them or better yet, stop treating us like illiterate slaves.

W.L.A.E.

I just found this, don't know how accurate it is.

Most recipes call for the manufacture of a certain quantity of "Bud Butter", which is then used as butter would normally be used in a cooking situation. THC is not a water-soluble compound, so butter would naturally be a good carrier substance for injestion. One version of a recipe for this kind of butter is included, the recipes are not. Use your imagination and you will find better food to make than the recipes I have.

Rough Guide To Consumption

1/16 (1.75g) med quality resin

12 people FLOATING

8 people FLYING

4 people IN OUTERSPACE

1/8 average weed (3.5g)

15 people FLOATING

10 people FLYING

5 people IN OUTERSPACE

1oz shade leaves (28g)

15 people FLOATING

10 people FLYING

5 people IN OUTERSPACE

Concept420

well been months now! Have you found out how acurate it is yet?

:rolleyes:

Peace

FTW

Jim

Bump!

Archived