Help Me With My First Grow

totung

OK, I finally got around to building the grow room.  Now that that is done, I can move on to the better part of the project :)

This is where the big problem comes into play...I don't really know what to do from here.

I am using a Sun Blaze 48 for my clone/mother/veg room

I am using a 1000 watt HPS in my flower room

I am a big fan of process.  I like to have everything written out on paper so I can follow step by step.

I am looking for a simple process that I can follow since this is my first time.  I don't want to get into something that is too complicated for my first grow.

---- WATER ----

If I use regular tap water, I need to let it sit 24 hours before it can be used, right?

If I filter the tap water, can I use it right away?

Either way, I have to make sure the water is pH neutral before I do anything with it, right?

---- CLONES ----

I have a rapid rooter flat along with a dome cover.  It says to soak them in water before using them.  Do I just throw them into a bucket of water?

Once they are soaked and the clone is dipped and placed into them, do I just keep everything moist with water?  Do I need to use any nutes during this process?

Anything else that I am missing?

---- SOIL ----

This is where I have no clue what to do.  I have no idea about what kind of soil to get.  I see people buying soil then mixing this that and the other thing into it.  Is there soil that I can buy that is ready to go out of the bag?

Or perhaps a simple soil mix that I can make?  I don't want to have to buy 15 bags of stuff just to make soil.

---- NUTES ----

Another area that I have no clue about.

Not sure if I should go with synth or organic nutes.

Anyone care to recommend a simple nutrient regiment that I can follow for veg and flower?

check the tutorials section, there are cloning answers there as well as some other great info,

also, check out bubblegrowers profile for several links, the man has put some serious time and effort into his guide.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/18150-need-your-grow-questions-answered-come-on-in/

also, get the Marijuana growers bible, you wont regret it.

check the tutorials section, there are cloning answers there as well as some other great info,

also, check out bubblegrowers profile for several links, the man has put some serious time and effort into his guide.

http://michiganmedic...red-come-on-in/

also, get the Marijuana growers bible, you wont regret it.

+rep :)

yeah im here.

p.m. me if you need. but read first :)

and see the links in my signature.

hello and welcome to the most awesomest site in the world!

ok, now we intros out da way-so first things first: K.I.S.S.-remember that one? still applies to growers, (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) no matter what means of grow media you want to use, ie: straight organic soil, soil/substrate mix, hydroponics, aeroponics...just start with the basics, take you time and do everything w/a little bit'a love;) (tha plants like that:)

---- WATER ----

here, I would really recommend you TRYING to use RO filtered water, BUT-if thats not a realistic option, I would would try some form of filtered tapwater before straight-from-the-tap stuff. since you will want to have a large resevoir to hold all your water & nutes combined, you dont need to adjust pH until you've added the nutes to the resv. and established the PPM level you need (this will be easier to do w/RO water, as RO ppms are like 0 to 10, while tap water is around 2-500ppm depending on how clean your pipes/service line is)

---- CLONES ----

please-dont THROW anything in water! you'll make a big mess you'll have to clean up!! j/k-cubes can be simply placed in (filtered hopefully) water for a few secs-should absorb moisture nec. in less than 5 min. After soaking cubes, place them in your tray and THEN take your cuttings, one-by-one out of water where the cuttings should be waiting-make sure you've removed all but the top-most leaves and those that are left are trimmed for space-saving and to reduce transpiring(sweating out the moisture you're trying to put in them), then make your final 45-deg cut at base of the stem and dip in rooting compound, then place in cubes in tray and gently place lid on-no throwing that either;)

-clones will not need any nutes while they are trying to produce roots, their using completely diff. hormones to basically 'reverse' grow so food would not only be wasted, but can clog up cubes with nutrient salt-build up and stop root production.

---- SOIL ----

whoa, tiger-just stick to the basics here until you have some free time-I totally think your plants will benefit from a few of those 'other things' you see/hear about guys n gals pouring into their dirt, but only when you've figured out how/why they work will you be able to decide which ones will be of use to your babies, and which are just over-priced poop...of which there are many, so be forewarned. Basic growing soil will do the trick for your first run-take notes/pics document and datalog things so you can compare with your next run-try to do datalogging at same time of day each time-when lights first come on, mid-way thru cycle, when lights go off, at the end of a light cycle-all good times for you to check temps/pH/ppm and of course-ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT!!! check that s**t like you check to make sure you can still breathe!

---- NUTES ----

last but cetainly not least-look for nutes that are recommended for organic soil (if thats what your using-just ask the salesfolk at any hydro/grow shop, tell them what you're working with soil-wise and they should be able to hook you up) on a side note-some seed companies (and some nice growers) will tell you depending on what genetics/strains you buy, what you should look to use for the best results.

Good luck, hope all this gibberish helps, Grow Hard, Grow Well, have fun and FTW!

Scott

bg, I checked out your tutorials but see everything is based off of hydro

would I be able to use that info if I am doing soil?

for instance, the strength of nutes for the different phases of the grow...

Trust me you have everything you need growing medical quality medicine is simple its only when you get pest problems is when it becomes an issue.

I myself use

Fox farm ocean forest soil

Fox farm big bloom and tiger bloom

All the needed info such as amounts to feed when etc is found on the nutrient bottles. :thumbsu:

august19th2ndgroup008.jpg

3 gallon pots and a clone dome are also very important as well because before each plant goes into flower you should take a couple clones from her.

bg, I checked out your tutorials but see everything is based off of hydro

would I be able to use that info if I am doing soil?

for instance, the strength of nutes for the different phases of the grow...

there are pages upon pages of soil info, and feed charts in there. trust me, i wrote it :)

and the strength of nutes is basically the same..... except for the seedling stage. in soil, you do not need nutes because they are provided for the plant via the medium.

thank you for the replies everyone

i have been looking at links all day long and i think i have come up with a plan based off the fact that i should KISS!

first, i forgot to mention that i am going to be starting with clones because i am going to be purchasing them from a friend

with that being said, here is the plan for the first grow

i will be getting 12 clones of two strains. 6 clones from of each strain.

i will use 1 clone of each strain to grow out as mothers and the rest will go until they are getting me high

clones will root under the sun blaze 48 in rapid rooters using clone-x

veg will be done under the sun blaze 48 either in 3 gallon pots or something smaller

flower will be done under a 1000 watt hps in 3 gallon pots

for soil and nutes i decided to go with fox farm for everything

that way, everything is from the same company

probably ocean forest for soil

i am going to follow the fox farm nute schedule and use big bloom, grow big, and tiger bloom

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/FoxFarm-Soil-Schedule.pdf

if i missed anything, it is because i am high

thank you for the replies everyone

i have been looking at links all day long and i think i have come up with a plan based off the fact that i should KISS!

first, i forgot to mention that i am going to be starting with clones because i am going to be purchasing them from a friend

with that being said, here is the plan for the first grow

i will be getting 12 clones of two strains. 6 clones from of each strain.

i will use 1 clone of each strain to grow out as mothers and the rest will go until they are getting me high

clones will root under the sun blaze 48 in rapid rooters using clone-x

veg will be done under the sun blaze 48 either in 3 gallon pots or something smaller

flower will be done under a 1000 watt hps in 3 gallon pots

for soil and nutes i decided to go with fox farm for everything

that way, everything is from the same company

probably ocean forest for soil

i am going to follow the fox farm nute schedule and use big bloom, grow big, and tiger bloom

http://www.foxfarmfe...il-Schedule.pdf

if i missed anything, it is because i am high

sounds like a plan!!

make sure you start your own journal and take lots of pics when you get up-and-running!!

Archived