Got Hortilux?

Grow Thread

Guest Happy Guy

You definitely have to match your bulbs to your electronic ballast. I was buying from HTG online and had a few blow. Went local and Lumatek. Agrosun has a great bulb for the Lumatek ballasts.

to sum it up..... it says nothing bad about the growth coming out of the hortilux lamps...... just raises concerns about their life. a light meter may be needed to see where you are at: http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/HIDaccessories2.asp?ItemNo=lightMeter

sunleavesSunGauge.gif

there are better meters out there...... just wanted to link to one that i have used.

to sum it up..... it says nothing bad about the growth coming out of the hortilux lamps...... just raises concerns about their life. a light meter may be needed to see where you are at: http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/HIDaccessories2.asp?ItemNo=lightMeter

sunleavesSunGauge.gif

there are better meters out there...... just wanted to link to one that i have used.

Interesting stuff. Have you ever used one of those BG?

I never really thought about it... But I could have told y'all that would have been a problem... lol...

The 60hz "flicker" is why it's so difficult to get good pics under HIDs...

Or eyes CAN'T react fast enough to the flicker, but the camera can....

Same thing happens with fluorescent too.. which is why sometimes when under them you get the "strobe" effect...

If something is designed for say 60% duty cycle, and you up that to 95%, obviously problems will be had..

Thanks for pointing that out though BG...!!!!

I know I come from an electronics background, so I have a slightly better understanding than some.. :unsure:

Hello All,

I had a grand mal epipleptic seizer one time whuile checking my plants under a digital ballast.

The Dr. told me that it was the frequency of the "flicker" from the bulb effected something in my brain.

Oh well, no more digital ballasts for me!

Tnx for the interesting info!

Tnx,

LURD

I had a grand mal epipleptic seizer one time whuile checking my plants under a digital ballast.

i have a special place in my heart for epileptics. my wife is one. i feel so bad for you and your family.

we were just talking about seizures this morning in the chat room and i declared that you have never cried until you see/help a loved one through a grand-mal.

i pray the best for you and your family.

sunleavesSunGauge.gif

Same one I use Good unit for the price

Hm, really reconsidering my next purchase which was going to be a 600w digital! Might have to go with the standard magnetic ballasts. The fact that the digital ballasts make the HPS arc tube 'unstable' like that article says makes me wonder if they are more dangerous and prone to arc tube explosion or whatever that nonsense is that I read about? Thanks for the info bubble!

Hm, really reconsidering my next purchase which was going to be a 600w digital! Might have to go with the standard magnetic ballasts. The fact that the digital ballasts make the HPS arc tube 'unstable' like that article says makes me wonder if they are more dangerous and prone to arc tube explosion or whatever that nonsense is that I read about? Thanks for the info bubble!

They only make the arc unstable on bulbs NOT designed for it...

sunleavesSunGauge.gif

Bubblegrower ... it's interesting you zero in on Hortilux while the article clearly points out that the problem is the same for other bulbs across the industry, including Sunmaster, Phillips and GE. Seems to me that Hortilux should get some credit for integrity by publishing the study and telling the truth about it ... is there some reason you single them out?

Guest Happy Guy

Yup, it is nonsense. If you buy a quality digital like a Lumatek, and the appropriate bulb, like an Agrosun, then you will be golden for a year at least. On the other hand, if you buy a cheapo digital ballast and a Hortilux bulb, it might blow out in an hour. That is my personal experience, bad and good. My local hydro guy has a replacement gaurantee for the Lumateks for 3 years and the bulbs for a year. Problem solved.

Bubblegrower ... it's interesting you zero in on Hortilux while the article clearly points out that the problem is the same for other bulbs across the industry, including Sunmaster, Phillips and GE. Seems to me that Hortilux should get some credit for integrity by publishing the study and telling the truth about it ... is there some reason you single them out?

no, not at all. if the article would have been published about a different lamp manufacturer, i would have gladly taken the time to scan/resize the actual magazine on to my computer, and then upload them into the gallery :)

just trying to share the info....

for some of my personal thoughts on hortilux lamps, you can read here:

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/25792-best-bulbs/page__view__findpost__p__233888

Archived