State Senator Targets Marijuana Bars

AKenewell

State senator targets marijuana bars

Jones seeks ban on consumption at dispensaries

Taxation of medical marijuana and new regulations for marijuana dispensaries may be sprouting later this year under the green thumb of a mid-Michigan lawmaker.

Sen. Rick Jones, a Grand Ledge Republican, is leading the charge to take a fresh look at the state's 2-year-old medical marijuana law, which critics have said is ambiguous and not sufficiently restrictive on how the drug is dispensed.

This month, Jones reintroduced legislation in the GOP-controlled Senate to ban "medical marijuana bars," or dispensaries that allow patients to buy marijuana and consume it on site. A similar bill sponsored by Jones died last year in what was a Democratic-controlled House.

Jones now is convening an informal task force to gather information from interested parties on medical marijuana. His hope is to draft further legislation, including possibly taxation of medical marijuana sales or dispensaries, by midsummer.

"When Pfizer manufactures a pill, they get taxed. Why shouldn't someone who manufactures marijuana get taxed?" said Jones, adding he is unsure how much money might be generated.

So far, Jones' efforts to further regulate medical marijuana have not spurred a significant backlash among medical marijuana advocates.

Tim Beck, political director of Oak Park-based Michigan Association of Compassion Centers, hopes to participate in Jones' task force and supports the concept of taxing medical marijuana and clarifying laws related to dispensaries.

"I think Senator Jones is a fair man," Beck said. "We believe in his concepts, but the devil, in the end, will be in the details. We feel comfortable working with him."

Grandfather Clause

Citing ambiguities in the medical marijuana law, some mid-Michigan municipalities, including Lansing, have banned new medical dispensaries as they draft ordinances regulating how the drug can be dispensed.

For now, more than a dozen marijuana dispensaries are open in Lansing, operating, essentially, under a grandfather clause.

Rep. Joan Bauer, D-Lansing, said she is open to clarifying regulations related to dispensaries. She said she has heard several complaints from Lansing residents about the high numbers of dispensaries there.

"We'll be looking at different aspects of the law, not to replace it, but to clarify it so that cities and townships don't have to deal with it," said Jones, adding cities now are spending thousands of dollars on attorney fees.

Jones' bill on marijuana bars was spurred by the May 2010 police raid on the Green Leaf Smokers Club in Williamstown Township - an establishment in which owners sold marijuana to medical patients and allowed them to consume it there. One owner, Fredrick Wayne Dagit, was arrested after police claimed he tried to buy 50 pounds of marijuana from an undercover officer.

Voices Concern

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth, who dismissed the Green Leaf club as a "joke" when it opened in February 2010, said he remains concerned that those who use marijuana at the establishments will drive away impaired, presenting a danger on the road. He said he favors legislation to ban the establishments.

"I shouldn't be the only one concerned," Wriggelsworth said. "The general public should be concerned by this."

Driving While High

Matt Newburg, a Delta Township attorney who specializes in criminal defense in medical marijuana-related cases, said he supports banning the consumption of marijuana at dispensaries, partly because it is very difficult for authorities to determine whether a patient is driving high.

He noted authorities can use blood-alcohol testing to determine accurately whether someone is driving drunk, but can only use marijuana testing to determine whether someone has consumed the drug in recent days.

"For public health and safety issues, it's a good bill," Newburg said, "and some of the clients I have had believe the same thing."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110128/NEWS04/101280321/State-senator-targets-marijuana-bars

I read this post today. When stories like this are released, it just goes to show how little politicians know about the legislation they write. Marijuana "bar"? We have those? Where can I find one? What is a Marjiana Bar and wheres the closest one to me? Do these bars have a ladies night? Last time I checked, it's not even legal to smoke inside of ANY bar ("marijuana bar" or alcohol bar").

I wanted to find that Senators email so I could ask him where the closest bar to me was so I could smoke marijuana inside.

To my knowledge, it isn't legal for any dispensary to allow smoking on premises. It's also to my knowledge that those who do allow it, are doing so illegally.

I like how the story says the Senator is going to form a task force or information team or whatever it said to further investigate the technicalities of the marijuana act. I find it funny how a college student going for criminal justice who is merely a patient knows more about the damned basics Marijuana Act than those who wrote it. Let alone the technicalities.

My political opinion is hatred to democrats AND republicans, but I think without Granholm, the state should go back to Demo. Too many republicians jumping into their newly elected seats trying to make a name for themselves. Nice publicity move by Senator Rick Jones to get his name out there, but I'd be more concerned about Attorney General Bill Schuette trying to completely remove the Marijuana Act from Michigan's books.

Guest thequietone

The conclusion I come up with after reading this article is that MACC is backing this bill. And they want to work with Jones to further their cause and restrict the rights of patients and caregivers.

State senator targets marijuana bars

Jones seeks ban on consumption at dispensaries

Taxation of medical marijuana and new regulations for marijuana dispensaries may be sprouting later this year under the green thumb of a mid-Michigan lawmaker.

Sen. Rick Jones, a Grand Ledge Republican, is leading the charge to take a fresh look at the state's 2-year-old medical marijuana law, which critics have said is ambiguous and not sufficiently restrictive on how the drug is dispensed.

This month, Jones reintroduced legislation in the GOP-controlled Senate to ban "medical marijuana bars," or dispensaries that allow patients to buy marijuana and consume it on site. A similar bill sponsored by Jones died last year in what was a Democratic-controlled House.

Jones now is convening an informal task force to gather information from interested parties on medical marijuana. His hope is to draft further legislation, including possibly taxation of medical marijuana sales or dispensaries, by midsummer.

"When Pfizer manufactures a pill, they get taxed. Why shouldn't someone who manufactures marijuana get taxed?" said Jones, adding he is unsure how much money might be generated.

So far, Jones' efforts to further regulate medical marijuana have not spurred a significant backlash among medical marijuana advocates.

Tim Beck, political director of Oak Park-based Michigan Association of Compassion Centers, hopes to participate in Jones' task force and supports the concept of taxing medical marijuana and clarifying laws related to dispensaries.

"I think Senator Jones is a fair man," Beck said. "We believe in his concepts, but the devil, in the end, will be in the details. We feel comfortable working with him."

Grandfather Clause

Citing ambiguities in the medical marijuana law, some mid-Michigan municipalities, including Lansing, have banned new medical dispensaries as they draft ordinances regulating how the drug can be dispensed.

For now, more than a dozen marijuana dispensaries are open in Lansing, operating, essentially, under a grandfather clause.

Rep. Joan Bauer, D-Lansing, said she is open to clarifying regulations related to dispensaries. She said she has heard several complaints from Lansing residents about the high numbers of dispensaries there.

"We'll be looking at different aspects of the law, not to replace it, but to clarify it so that cities and townships don't have to deal with it," said Jones, adding cities now are spending thousands of dollars on attorney fees.

Jones' bill on marijuana bars was spurred by the May 2010 police raid on the Green Leaf Smokers Club in Williamstown Township - an establishment in which owners sold marijuana to medical patients and allowed them to consume it there. One owner, Fredrick Wayne Dagit, was arrested after police claimed he tried to buy 50 pounds of marijuana from an undercover officer.

Voices Concern

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth, who dismissed the Green Leaf club as a "joke" when it opened in February 2010, said he remains concerned that those who use marijuana at the establishments will drive away impaired, presenting a danger on the road. He said he favors legislation to ban the establishments.

"I shouldn't be the only one concerned," Wriggelsworth said. "The general public should be concerned by this."

Driving While High

Matt Newburg, a Delta Township attorney who specializes in criminal defense in medical marijuana-related cases, said he supports banning the consumption of marijuana at dispensaries, partly because it is very difficult for authorities to determine whether a patient is driving high.

He noted authorities can use blood-alcohol testing to determine accurately whether someone is driving drunk, but can only use marijuana testing to determine whether someone has consumed the drug in recent days.

"For public health and safety issues, it's a good bill," Newburg said, "and some of the clients I have had believe the same thing."

http://www.lansingst...-marijuana-bars

so if you cant smoke at the bar then you smoke on the way home that makes no cents

I read this post today. When stories like this are released, it just goes to show how little politicians know about the legislation they write. Marijuana "bar"? We have those? Where can I find one? What is a Marjiana Bar and wheres the closest one to me? Do these bars have a ladies night? Last time I checked, it's not even legal to smoke inside of ANY bar ("marijuana bar" or alcohol bar").

I wanted to find that Senators email so I could ask him where the closest bar to me was so I could smoke marijuana inside.

To my knowledge, it isn't legal for any dispensary to allow smoking on premises. It's also to my knowledge that those who do allow it, are doing so illegally.

I like how the story says the Senator is going to form a task force or information team or whatever it said to further investigate the technicalities of the marijuana act. I find it funny how a college student going for criminal justice who is merely a patient knows more about the damned basics Marijuana Act than those who wrote it. Let alone the technicalities.

My political opinion is hatred to democrats AND republicans, but I think without Granholm, the state should go back to Demo. Too many republicians jumping into their newly elected seats trying to make a name for themselves. Nice publicity move by Senator Rick Jones to get his name out there, but I'd be more concerned about Attorney General Bill Schuette trying to completely remove the Marijuana Act from Michigan's books.

It is not illegal to smoke on private property for medical use now . You could smoke cannabis in a private club and some do exist under the radar There are events for patients only in the State that allow medicating and the socializing is very healthy for patients . As far as smoking in public you are restricted by the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act but the smoking ban refers explecitely to tobacco . This has come up in Hotel rooms and their has been debate whether medical cannabis use is illegal there if it is your private room and your a patient , if you do need to medicate in one I would vaporize and treat the event like it was illegal being very polite , quiet and stealthy . There is a good arguement it is not illegal per se but maybe against fire codes if the property is designated as non smoking but not coverred under the umbrella of the broader laws . Don't expect everyone to believe it in law enforcement and verify yourself before acting on this information being disabled myself I make a few more errors then before my change in health .

I write it daily and those that read it must be sick of it but this is my thinking on taxation .

All the items used in the growing and activities surrounding medicinal Cannabis are taxed at the local rate 6% in Michigan ( lights , power , etc ) so as a community patients do contribute positively in taxation to our beloved State . Medicinal Cannabis is only recommended because it cannot be prescribed per Federal law but the effect is the same , as well as , the medicinal need . Prescribed items for patients are not taxed in Michigan thus medicinal Cannabis itself or products containing it for medicinal use should not be taxed .

When and if we accept Cannabis use in our minds as a State seperating medicinal and legalization.... then go further and legalize Cannabis for all then the sale of Cannabis outside the parameters of medicinal use will be up for discussion of taxation . I believe the absence of direct taxation on Cannabis to be a very important point of fairness and compassion for the ill and infirmed . Only those not comprehending the amazing medicinal and spillover benefits of Cannabis to our community from years of wrong thinking could even imagine driving up prices with increased taxation over any other prescribed ( Dr . recommended ) item .

Anti Cannabis interests are trying to restrict medicinal Cannabis use in Arizona now by proposing a 300% tax . I never can understand how people who truly care about patients and detering a black market profit margin can support direct taxation on medical cannabis . As a person that wishes to learn I am willing to listen .

The conclusion I come up with after reading this article is that MACC is backing this bill. And they want to work with Jones to further their cause and restrict the rights of patients and caregivers.

is this true do we no this for sure is so we should get it posted for all to see

who no's for sure?

UNBELIEVABLE. So what should we say? We are part of 3MA not the other groups? I'm trying to think up a short letter to send, and still have to shorten my other one. I wanna get these sent out. My heart is sunk. Oh, I tried writing to ASA a month or so ago when they sent me something about how well things were going for them in CA, told them how bad things were going here, all I got back was the same letter they sent before, with no response to me on it. I was so MAD! NOW I KNOW WHY! This is too much.

Sb

Our worst enemies are within our own ranks. Anyone who says that someone is reasonable who wants to ban Compassion Clubs and to heap taxes upon Patients and caregivers(Jones uses the term Producers), has been bought and paid for. If this is Tim Beck's opinion he is a traitor. Folks, I am disgusted that the MACC and ASA(Tim Beck also works for ASA), has turned it's back on the community(patients and caregivers) in order to make sure that dispensaries can make fortunes off of the suffering of the sick.

Our Producers(caregivers) can't compete with Colo/Cal. now. Our streets are flooded with their dirt weed. Imagine heaping another 10% on our caregivers/growing patients. You got it folks, Michigan looses tens of thousands of jobs. We haven't even started talking about the regulations that Tim Beck and crew have already proposed that would put inspectors/police in patients/caregivers homes. Enough is Enough.

Email your Reps and Senators and let them know the MMMA represents you. We can stop them, but we must move now.

The MMMA has been criticized for not uniting under the flag of MACC/ASA. It was not that we did not want unity, we refused to sell you out. The last 5 months of my life has been hell, because the MMMA was bombarded with lies and patients/caregivers were abused by these folks seeking to prove that they had our proxy. We will always remain faithful to you. So if you don't see us jumping on a band wagon, it is because it might harm you. You are our number one priority. We will fight and even go to jail or die for you. We will never betray you.

Boycott all MACC gatherings and dispensaries. They are trying to put together a protest on the Feb. 1st or 2nd to show the government they have your proxy. Don't go, because you'll just be empowering our enemies. Get the word out to boycott. It's time we saved ourselves. Thanks, BB

When Tim and others in MACC were in CPU they were doing this dialog with Jones and that is when I quit.

Unknown to Beck; myself and others were reading the listserv, and I finally had had enough when I read this bills draft the day after they met with their lobbyist and another legislator.

I wrote Beck an email telling him I knew what was up, and that it was sickening what he was doing with our donations and using the Patients name as cover for their legitamacy. I told him I wasn't the one he needed to worry about; but when this comes out everyone involved would be rightly seen as traitors to our movement.

He wrote me back saying "Bring it on". That was 6 months ago. I guess I just did.

Wouldn't it be better to stand beside other activists and openly protest what they are espousing to show the number of people concerned about the direction of medicinal Cannabis in Michigan ? Then to fragment openly showing weaker numbers to the public ? . There are 49,000 patients now and many do not comprehend many of the issues involved as well as many use so little cannabis the dispensory model pricing does not concern them - yet . Just wondering ? Besides some of those involved in the MACC are very powerful long standing activists who are gaining more and more $$$ behind them .( often tainted with eventually winning legalization over medicinal use alone as their primary goal ) we need to influence them not fight against eachother . Patients first .

I listen to my Congressmans town hall meetings and many Citizens are definitely willing to sacrifice patient needs on all topics of health care right now as they see them as a unaffordable problem and almost villian to blame for all societal problems . These are scarey times as always to be sick and injured . Personaly I cannot afford dispensory services except as a occasional extravageance and I have never been to one or yet felt extravagance was warranted .... I reallly feel like I am out on a isalnd by myself right now in terms of who will care about my views as a patient or a Citizen . It's pretty darn lonely out here in illness imprisoned without walls afraid to drive due to predjudice and yes at times inhabillity .. I am glad for what support I find here and I know there is more then I realize as people here care most about patients but it feels lonely and I have lost many rights to medical care and being part of society due to being a cannabis patient I never envisioned . Change is taking so long , were in year 3 of 40 as explained at the Law Symposium at Wayne State University . Its easy to get down but I know one thing many people do not yet comprehend - the modern medical complex was killing me and unable to accept that truth . I had no choice and my life has been extended by being part of this program .Somedays like today I just wish the fight was over so I could spend all my efforts on getting better and contribute to my State and qualifty of life just as all of you would too . However I will find the strength to keep learning , reading , evaluatiing and hopefully contribute in a positive manner .

I ask again isn't it better we do not fragment but enjoin eachother and use our influence to attempt to change the other groups ideas and influence over our belief's ? What we decide as a whole will be what we obtain . Even with Rick Jones as he will be a former of policy and if you ever read his resumee at least on the surface you can't help but respect him even though he approaches this with slanted views of punituve control that never have worked in the past . I also hate to see the views of the MACC get press coverage without expression of opposing veiws taking place at that time do to non participation at their protests . Lastly a dispensory system and caregiver system can and should co-exist . The balance of influence is what is in question . May your God(s) go with you all and our truths someday be one ..

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/ccs_files/downloads/CCOrganizationalGuide.pdf

This bill pisses me off....working on a face book page so i can show the world the fascist dikheads that rule in this state. tax it...tax it my donkey. we need to call him and remind him that as a republican hes against taxes and against big bizz....he mentions how some pharm corp gets taxed.... does that mean im allowed the same type profit margin? lol these greedy parasites need to get out of my medicne cab....

Big Smoke Dog: I don't know where to send you to a "marijuana bar." I'm not sure what one would look like. But I could send you to a number of dispensaries where officially the policy is 'no smoking,' but both staff and frequently patients are allowed to smoke. Just walk in--the nose knows. If you have been in many dispensaries, you know.

As a dispensary (Chamberlain model) operator, I know the temptation. Patients don't want to buy a gram of a dozen or so strains, go to a legal place, try it, and drive back to get more of the particular one that "did it" for them. Patients beg, promise not to inhale, plead just this one time, and so the pressure is to let them light up, what's the harm? It's just a plant, right?

But it's no different than tobacco smokers in an alcohol bar. The answer is no, you cannot light up, and if you do, we wll make you leave; do it again, and we will ban you. We have some people operating dispensaries who need to police themselves before the legislature does it for us, and in my opinion, unnecessarily so. We need to grow up and discipline ourselves and our patients.

"Patients don't want to buy a gram of a dozen or so strains, go to a legal place, try it, and drive back to get more of the particular one that "did it" for them" pic book

My friend you just explained why this is a different then most medicinal items as patients need to try items when purhasing them as were talking about real medicinal need .Often the patients who work in these places must medicate also , these people often volunteer their time there not always employee's .

As far as use at Compassion Clubs there are patients so suffering they can't socialize or get out unless medicated and staying that way but if they do this they may and often do improve and can use less and less growing stronger and stronger from being around people they seek for support and friendship with benefiting from socialization .

Lending more support for this is the fact State institutions are often withdrawing access to their other medications when they are found to be on the program putting them in despreate situations as this restricts abillity to be active thus creating dire health consequences and further isolation ( most often from severe chronic pain untreated or psychiatric conditions no longer lessoned due to severe hidden disabillity ) . This was particularily sad to me in the Waterford case where one place served healthy food offered innexpensively at one location that could be a wonderful thing for patients and is now never discussed . I am at a loss how many people do not realize there are patients out there wanting to eat healthier but cannot for a variety of reasons . This is why there is need and there are reasons to back them up that merely having a business based on the almighty dollar or just being happy to have access through dispensories alone does not justify giving up the right to medicate on private property in group situations . .

Many patients whose needs are not being heard are out there . My Congressman a good man whom I do not always agree with - holds town hall meetings tieing together Citizens by phone . ( Tim Walberg ) This is the future and a great way to interact , discuss issues and for people and politicians to learn about others needs . I hope to be able to speak my mind a few times this year but so far I have always doubted my abillity to communicate by speech due to my problems with critical thinking from severe chronic pain when the calls occured . It is a good thing to be part of the process not just complain .I believe other members here should seek to encourage their political leaders to engage in this form of reaching out to their consituency inside their homes and participate . Like in medicine technologoy is changing what are considered norms of interaction .

I feel like the whole world has betrayed me all my life. Very few care about my feelings. I just wanna keep what we have. Here's a quick draft off the top of my head.

Dear whoever:

There are 2 organizations who claim to represent the medical marijuana community. One is ASA, Americans for Safe Access, the other is MACC, a group of supposed compassion clubs. Most of these people are the ones pushing for dispensaries, which many of us feel would do more harm than good. Compassion clubs are not supposed to be dispensaries in disguise, they're only meant to be for support and education.. These groups do not represent me and many of the others in our community. The one group that has stood by patients and caregivers rights is MMMA, Michigan Medical Marijuana Association- they have defended many of our members and stayed true to their mission of helping protect and defend us. The group is run by patients who are very ill, yet feel the need to do all they can for our community. All we want is to keep the law 63% of us voted for.

Sincerely, Sb

I PREDICT: Those betraying organizations are working with politicians, and you know how many politicians are, they'll stab anyone in the back to serve their own purposes; those politicians will betray the groups who are betraying us, then those groups will be begging us for help. Sorry, it don't work that way, we see right through you, we know who you really care about, and it isn't us.

Sb

Archived