Got Bubba?

porcupine

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also growing the good Doc Greenthmb's Bubba Kush. It's only my second grow ever and I have had zero problems...and I do mean ZERO! (This is a major improvement over grow #1...the Doc's ES...where inexperience was my biggest problem...LOL)

I am watching the pics here...I'm in day 34 of flowering four Bubba's and one Endless Sky under a 600 watt HPS. The Sky should be ready in a couple weeks...which will leave the four Bubba's have all the light for their big finish. I'm in 3 gallon injection molded nursery pots...and wish I would have used 5 gallon now...3 of the 4 are 30" plus (I, being new, haven't tried topping or growth inhibitors for flowering, nor do I know much about training...I just grow them straight up and hope for the best right now...)

My only problem is...lol...the incredible smell! I bought a carbon filter last fall, but didn't have to use it while growing Endless Sky...but I will most definitely be mounting the scrubber tomorrow, to my 4" inline vent fan... I know I'm going to love this stuff...but in all honesty, I'm not sure about growing it again...the smell is incredible and I still have 5 weeks to go, plus or minus...

If the carbon filter works...I will undoubtedly change my mind...LOL

I have never had the opportunity to taste Bubba Kush...that is soon to change...

I also wonder about the color...I see no purple yet 34 days in...my daytime temps run 78ºF to 81ºF and drop to 63º to 64º at night. I have a CO2 boost bucket...which I hope allows me to grow at a couple degrees higher temp. (I know 78º is optimum in a ventillated room)... I may get a second CO2 bucket after mounting the carbon scrubber...as the restricted air flow may make temp. go up a little more. My thinking is that 82º or 83º would work out OK with additional CO2... I tested and get 600-650 PPM...and 650 PPM solid at the vent fan's exit port (I can't shut off the fan...temp. would get ridiculously high and the room isn't 'sealed'...so I'm hoping for the best with the conditions I have to work with...

I am also growing the good Doc Greenthmb's Bubba Kush. It's only my second grow ever and I have had zero problems...and I do mean ZERO! (This is a major improvement over grow #1...the Doc's ES...where inexperience was my biggest problem...LOL)

I am watching the pics here...I'm in day 34 of flowering four Bubba's and one Endless Sky under a 600 watt HPS. The Sky should be ready in a couple weeks...which will leave the four Bubba's have all the light for their big finish. I'm in 3 gallon injection molded nursery pots...and wish I would have used 5 gallon now...3 of the 4 are 30" plus (I, being new, haven't tried topping or growth inhibitors for flowering, nor do I know much about training...I just grow them straight up and hope for the best right now...)

My only problem is...lol...the incredible smell! I bought a carbon filter last fall, but didn't have to use it while growing Endless Sky...but I will most definitely be mounting the scrubber tomorrow, to my 4" inline vent fan... I know I'm going to love this stuff...but in all honesty, I'm not sure about growing it again...the smell is incredible and I still have 5 weeks to go, plus or minus...

If the carbon filter works...I will undoubtedly change my mind...LOL

I have never had the opportunity to taste Bubba Kush...that is soon to change...

I also wonder about the color...I see no purple yet 34 days in...my daytime temps run 78ºF to 81ºF and drop to 63º to 64º at night. I have a CO2 boost bucket...which I hope allows me to grow at a couple degrees higher temp. (I know 78º is optimum in a ventillated room)... I may get a second CO2 bucket after mounting the carbon scrubber...as the restricted air flow may make temp. go up a little more. My thinking is that 82º or 83º would work out OK with additional CO2... I tested and get 600-650 PPM...and 650 PPM solid at the vent fan's exit port (I can't shut off the fan...temp. would get ridiculously high and the room isn't 'sealed'...so I'm hoping for the best with the conditions I have to work with...

The carbon filter should work...it worked for me on my Sour Diesel run and that was the most stinky stuff i ever grew. I had to change the design a few times to get the flow right but it does work.

I also used to use those buckets but i dont think it did anything and they cost alot so i stopped using them. You can also get a real CO2 set up which will last longer for a better price in the longrun form HTG supply or elsewhere. After reading a bunch of stuff on using CO2 i dont think it does much unless you have high temps and lots and lots of light. The air you pull from the vent fan should pull enough fresh air to do the job.

I also agree with King about lower night time temps.

The carbon filter should work...it worked for me on my Sour Diesel run and that was the most stinky stuff i ever grew. I had to change the design a few times to get the flow right but it does work.

I also used to use those buckets but i dont think it did anything and they cost alot so i stopped using them. You can also get a real CO2 set up which will last longer for a better price in the longrun form HTG supply or elsewhere. After reading a bunch of stuff on using CO2 i dont think it does much unless you have high temps and lots and lots of light. The air you pull from the vent fan should pull enough fresh air to do the job.

I also agree with King about lower night time temps.

Absolutely correct. Businesses like to sell you stuff but unless you're using about 1 x 1000 watt lamp per square yard/meter there is little to no benefit in using CO2 as there is enough ambient cO2 otherwise

Absolutely correct. Businesses like to sell you stuff but unless you're using about 1 x 1000 watt lamp per square yard/meter there is little to no benefit in using CO2 as there is enough ambient cO2 otherwise

I'm hearing you...but there are some other 'schools of thought' on that subject. A botanist told me that increasing your CO2 can help your plants even if it isn't 1500PPM in a sealed room...now, I agree it's debatable as to how much...at $100.00 plus a bucket, will you get the $100.00 back? Only way to find out is to experiment...and I have trouble with temp. control...I can't maintain 78º...I drift up to 81-82º and hope the CO2 compensates for the slightly higher temp. with slightly higher CO2...and I'm always game for trying something that may have benefits, especially when I know it can't hurt anything...it's really just a fun hobby to me, trying to learn something along the way...every grower's situation is unique, if I could hold a steady 78º...I wouldn't bother with the CO2 Boost Buckets, but it just seems to be a reasonable common sense solution at this point in time.

I'm not etching it in stone or anything...

The Happy Wanderer

I'm hearing you...but there are some other 'schools of thought' on that subject. A botanist told me that increasing your CO2 can help your plants even if it isn't 1500PPM in a sealed room...now, I agree it's debatable as to how much...at $100.00 plus a bucket, will you get the $100.00 back? Only way to find out is to experiment...and I have trouble with temp. control...I can't maintain 78º...I drift up to 81-82º and hope the CO2 compensates for the slightly higher temp. with slightly higher CO2...and I'm always game for trying something that may have benefits, especially when I know it can't hurt anything...it's really just a fun hobby to me, trying to learn something along the way...every grower's situation is unique, if I could hold a steady 78º...I wouldn't bother with the CO2 Boost Buckets, but it just seems to be a reasonable common sense solution at this point in time.

I'm not etching it in stone or anything...

The Happy Wanderer

If your plants are getting 3000 lumens per square foot, and all other factors are in place ( see Blackman's Law ) they can absorb 1500 ppm but all other factors MUST be in place and you need a virtual windstorm in your room to keep the air moving quickly. Plants getting 1000 lumens require 300 ppm and ambient CO2 usually runs about 400-500ppm

I received 5 Bubba seeds from a friend in Cali. Unfortunately, he shipped them in a plain envelope and only one seed was undamaged. I managed to grow that seed and have made hundreds of clones. Now, this Bubba strain is growing all over Jackson County. :P

I do things a bit differently than other posters on this thread. From the time I take the cuttings to the time they go into 12/12 is just four weeks. By this time the clones are 6 to 8 inches tall. I bud them under 2 1000 watt sodiums in magnum xxxl reflectors, these are suspended about 12 inches from the plants. My yield is about 1 oz per plant. From cutting to harvest in 90 days.

I, too, love this strain. The aroma of the this plant in flower is so sweet, reminds me of berries. All my patients have asked me to never change strains, even over G13Haze which is much more potent than bubba.

Unfortunately, I have to let this strain die out. I'm moving back to California, this May will be my last harvest in Michigan.

Four of the Doc's Bubbas...that's an Endless Sky, second from the left

Today is 36 days into flower, 600 watt HPS & six 40 watt CFL's in front...(100,000 lumens if my calculations are correct)...

Just mounted carbon filter yesterday...bought it last Fall for Endless Sky grow...but ES didn't stink like this stuff! Good news is...the carbon filter has COMPLETELY eliminated the odor (except inside the grow room...lol)...

Now I continue on, hopefully get to see some purple fans before the end...I know it's just for show, still would like to see it...

Peace

The Happy Wanderer

• 2 weeks later...
If your plants are getting 3000 lumens per square foot, and all other factors are in place ( see Blackman's Law ) they can absorb 1500 ppm but all other factors MUST be in place and you need a virtual windstorm in your room to keep the air moving quickly. Plants getting 1000 lumens require 300 ppm and ambient CO2 usually runs about 400-500ppm

Are we talking 'square feet' or 'cubic feet' here? In square feet I'd be off the chart high...in cubic feet, 1666.

If 1666 lumens per cubic foot is an accurate calculation (from soil line to HPS bulb)...would normal ambient levels be enough for those Bubba's? At what point would you need more?

• 3 weeks later...

I tasted this Bubba Kush again last night for the second time. Oh, man. When growers of this caliber stop smoking most other strains and say that Bubba is their smoke of choice for good, i now understand. Porc, and King, i am not sure who picked this pheno, but you were geniuses! I can't stop thinking of the Bubba!

I tasted this Bubba Kush again last night for the second time. Oh, man. When growers of this caliber stop smoking most other strains and say that Bubba is their smoke of choice for good, i now understand. Porc, and King, i am not sure who picked this pheno, but you were geniuses! I can't stop thinking of the Bubba!

I jst got my hands on this cut from Cannastyle through Mr Porcupine....after reading what you said and all ive heard before, i cant wait to get it going.

Thanks Canna and Porc!

I jst got my hands on this cut from Cannastyle through Mr Porcupine....after reading what you said and all ive heard before, i cant wait to get it going.

Thanks Canna and Porc!

Nice Nice !!

Cant wait to get my hands on some of this as well. People are probley sick of me PM'ing them and asking about it too ! :lol:

Archived