Browser Hijacked By Malware

Windows malicious software tool removers your answer and might i suggest buying webroots spysweeper (best buy $29)it quarantines any virus or spyware automatically.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

same advice I was going to give. workrd for me a few weeks ago. regular scan w/anti-virus wouldn't find it

I use Avast to Knott, and spy bot search and destroy. But if you have something that you cant get rid and other programs like avast...ect cant get rid of, go to http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ . Its free, you have to register, it has volunteers so it might be a "over a few day" process but they have helped me in the past. I had a really nasty virus and they cleaned helped me clean it out, and some other stuff that I did not know about...lol

Will be using the fixes when I get back from my office. I have no idea how I picked this up. I don't open e mails from unknown sources etc. Haven't downloaded anything either but my better half may have....he wouldn't know even if there was a red blinking light telling him click me I'm a virus. So how do you get these nasty little bugs?

Well I'm back...nope that little bugger wouldn't shake loose. Called my cousin and it was a redirect virus. He can usually fix anything but this one just infected so many files and registries the way it works you will never get rid of it. We finally wiped the hard drive clean 4 times and reloaded my OS. Hope that did the trick....so far it didn't act up but will know more tomorrow. Anyone know how you get this one? I need to make sure It doesn't happen again.

Dizz download combofix from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Run it and answer yes to everything. Now this tool will look like nothing is happening for a long period of time. Do not reboot or stop it from running. Just step away from the computer. I have seen this thing take a couple of hours on really infected systems. It may or may not ask to reboot at the end and sometimes it will auto run after the reboot.

Once this is done then update malwarebytes and rescan doing a full scan. Keep running malwarebytes until clean. If that does not help let me know as I have one other tool that removes a particularly bad malware.

Edited to add: I guess I was too late you all read reloaded.

Guest Mr_smith

That sucks. I just had some virus get my comp. Wouldnt let me open ANY programs. I rebooted in safe mode, did a system restore and scanned with ad aware and avg. Im not a computer guy but it did the trick. I was kinda proud of myself lmao

My favorite anti virus is Avast. I use linux and never have any issues. You can use a live linux CD if you don't want to go there all the way but you can't save changes. If you are stuck on Microsoft you can use Sandboxie. It runs your browser (and other programs if you wish) in a sandbox that resets after you exit your browser. However Sandboxie has some issues like how it handles bookmarks and such.

Another choice is vmware workstation or player. You can load a windows virtual machine that will reset it's self to a snapshot on reboot. The problem there is any changes are lost.

There are many choices but in the end linux is the one that gives the fewest compromises in usability. Ubuntu is good for beginners.

Well I'm back...nope that little bugger wouldn't shake loose. Called my cousin and it was a redirect virus. He can usually fix anything but this one just infected so many files and registries the way it works you will never get rid of it. We finally wiped the hard drive clean 4 times and reloaded my OS. Hope that did the trick....so far it didn't act up but will know more tomorrow. Anyone know how you get this one? I need to make sure It doesn't happen again.

Webroots spy sweeper auto detects hijacks and quarantines them before they can make it into the registry $29.99 at best buy with a $20 renewal yearly.

Archived