A Fair Price For Cannabutter?

pic book

I get $40 per stick donation as well. I make mine with hash, 16g per pound of butter, usually dry sift hash, made from trim. I also  make real butter. What I mean by that is that I add sunflower lecithin, and mix back together as it cools. This way it is one solid color, and the fat is recombined. It is not like Ghee. It is a very light brown color, and very potent, but does not have a strong taste like other methods. One of my patients is a baker and choclatier,  and loves my butter, he makes some super awesome truffles. I often give him butter in exchange for truffles. For those, that said, they don't want a strong taste, try using hash.

15 hours ago, Aunt Billie said:

Wow. This hasn't been updated in a Long While.

1st- I see very small ratios. I no longer bother using trim. I decarboxalate my greens. Perfectly. When I used trim, I used a 2:1 Ratio. Bud- 1:1 Ratio. 

1 part cannabis = 1g/Bud; or 2g/Good sugar leaf; or 1/2g/kief ... 1 liquid ounce- is the 2nd measurement in my ratio. 

So, for 1lb butter = 16g/Bud:16oz Butter. This yields 110- 130mg/thc/tsp... or 32g/Trim:16ozButter... Or 8g/Kief:16ozButter 

Why not, clarify your butter (takes About 30 minutes, prep/start/finish) then, add Decarbed cannabis. If the "green taste" is an issue. I make butter, that averages 110mg/tsp... I DO Not waste my time on trim. I use 1:1 Gram/Oz for All infusion- AS A Base. I never use bud that isn't Perfectly Decarbed. Yes- I Can make that claim. 

Clarify Butter: Ingredients:

Unsalted Butter 1 lb

Heavy bottom 2.5 quart pot. (A White enamel interior- will help you learn to "SEE" the process even better)

Silicone spatula

A cheesecloth, A fine mesh strainer, Funnel, Glass jar

In your sauce pan... on medium-low heat, melt all 4 sticks of butter. Slowly, is your best friend in this process.

Use a thermometer as needed, you do Not want any boiling, a very light simmer. 130° F is the ideal temperature for 20 minutes. Stirring Gently, occassionally- but never touching the bottom of the pan and mixing the solids back into the butter. You will see the milk solids separate from the butter. A foam will float to the top, and some will sink to the bottom. Skim the foam off of the top of the butter gently, the butter color will change as well, a pretty golden color. After 20 minutes, of extremely mild simmer pour the pan over your cheesecloth/strainer, into a quart jar. 

If you are confident in your clarified butter, you can pour it into a butter mold, or a portion mold, so you have an easy time using it. 

Ghee infuses with cannabis in a way that is indescribable. The taste is amazing, the nuttier flavor of ghee- certainly helps to cover. And the shelf life is much longer. 

Infused Ghee, lends itself well to flavored butters Ex: Fresh Ground Garlic cloves, whipped in for a beautiful, fresh Garlic butter, Cinnamon and Sugar- for Delectable toast,  Infused Ghee- as a base for homemade royal icing. The possibilities are Truly endless!!

The idea, is to remove the milk fat and milk fat solids from being homogenized. Clarifying (cleaning) the impurities from the butter. In turn, making a nuttier flavored, healthier alternative, to processed butter. As well as a better taste. Clarified Butter (Ghee) has a 450° smoking point- meaning you can Fry with it. 

So, I got a ? Here.  You say that your butter averages 110mg per tsp, there are 96tsp in a lb of butter, so what is the potency of your start material? If you used 16g of bud that was 20% thc, that would be 33.3mg thc/tsp. 16g is 16000mg of material. if the material is 20%thc then 16000*.2=3200mg thc 3200/96tsp=33.3mg thc per tsp

So, are you saying your bud is 60%+ thc?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2013 at 8:15 AM, kak1963 said:

right on.....

I use an ounce of trim per lb of butter.  My neighbor gives trim to me so it only cost me the butter and time.  I do mine crockpot style for 2 weeks.  You guys think I should scale back the trim?  The trim is mixed strains but always good quality.

6 hours ago, Cindiesel said:

I use an ounce of trim per lb of butter.  My neighbor gives trim to me so it only cost me the butter and time.  I do mine crockpot style for 2 weeks.  You guys think I should scale back the trim?  The trim is mixed strains but always good quality.

If you are happy with outcome, stick with it.

I use 2 ounces of trim per lb of butter in crockpot for 6 to 8 hours.

It is all a personal choice.

8 hours ago, Cindiesel said:

An oz per pound of butter, is not a bad ratio, as long as trim is all sugar leaf. If it also has fan leaf in there, you may want to double that.

Also, 2 weeks in a crockpot? That is WAY longer than necessary. If you decarb you product first, 4-6hrs will more than do the trick. If you don't decarb first, 12min -24max is all you need. If you want less green tasting butter, take all that trim and make dry and ice hash. It is very simple and makes a much better product. If you have any ?s feel free to message me.

5 hours ago, glued gorilla said:

An oz per pound of butter, is not a bad ratio, as long as trim is all sugar leaf. If it also has fan leaf in there, you may want to double that.

Also, 2 weeks in a crockpot? That is WAY longer than necessary. If you decarb you product first, 4-6hrs will more than do the trick. If you don't decarb first, 12min -24max is all you need. If you want less green tasting butter, take all that trim and make dry and ice hash. It is very simple and makes a much better product. If you have any ?s feel free to message me.

How you process after making ice hash? I checked into ice hash a few years back, but never made any.

I'd like to learn to make the oil for vape cartridges. 

2 hours ago, blackhorse said:

How you process after making ice hash? I checked into ice hash a few years back, but never made any.

I'd like to learn to make the oil for vape cartridges. 

I don't know how to make it usable for cartridges. I decarb and make butter and tincture. 16g per lb of butter.  16g for 1c of MCT for an approx 500mg thc per oz. Tincture.

I just use a 120 micron bag, golf ball sized chunks of dry ice. Shake over a mirror till it starts to get darker, then stop.  I collect, then decarb at 240 for 40 minutes. Then load jars with butter or MCT and hash, and infuse in a pressure cooker.

7 hours ago, blackhorse said:

I will pull up the ISO2 machine.

Is this an easy process?

Thanks

Not hard but it does have a lot of steps and you have to buy some hardware. 

You will need the iso machine or a homemade machine that does the same thing.

And a few things to do the filtering like a vacuum  pump or a seal a meal with vacuum. 

Couple chemistry items like a special flask and filtering funnel.

This is like making coffee old school then filtering it a special way. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2013 at 6:46 AM, SFC said:

Try doing a second water run after you have completed the first one. Take the now solid butter , put it back in the pan with fresh water, melt it off again, let it simmer for a little while, then strain it off again. Your butter will be very clean.  And seriously, if you have high powered strains all you need is trim.

How much water should be used?

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you saying there's no labor involved - I beg to differ. I grow my own blue dream and there's plenty of labor involved. Plenty. I know because it's called weed  people think that it just grows like a weed but that's not the case . It's a lot of work. There's also a lot of labor involved in processing the weed once it's harvested and then before you cook you have to de-carb. It's quite a process from seed to butter.

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, Kayper said:

For those of you saying there's no labor involved - I beg to differ. I grow my own blue dream and there's plenty of labor involved. Plenty. I know because it's called weed  people think that it just grows like a weed but that's not the case . It's a lot of work. There's also a lot of labor involved in processing the weed once it's harvested and then before you cook you have to de-carb. It's quite a process from seed to butter.

I agree, it is time consuming no doubt. People saying that there is no labor does not make it.

As long as you can make a batch of cookies from it where a loaded cookie is less than $5 it should be fine. 

If it works out to more than that then it's not worth it. 

You can do the same thing with cannabis oil in a gel cap. 

One dose is about $2 (or less). Just like a cookie without the junk for your trunk! lol

Everything needs to be in perspective. Lots of choices out there these days.

19 hours ago, Gmobetter said:

Your thc level must be kind of low to be infusing 1lb buds:1lb butter. I run 1/2lb:3lbs of 18%thc flower and my numbers come out  203mg/tbsp. Your 1:1 seems a little low outcome for the ratio you’re using. Don’t see how my thc/tbsp is higher then yours when you use more flower. 

Don't you mean 1oz bud:1 lb butter? 

I run 2 oz trimmings to 1 lb of butter and it is strong enough for us.

What do you run? 

Welcome

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2011 at 11:22 PM, Annnie said:

I saw canna butter at a dispensary in houghton Lake for 80.00 for 8 oz.. thats two sticks..

80.00= not fair...

That's actually very good priced cause say you make a batch of cookies with 12 cookies, u can sell each for 10 and that's just 1 batch so if you make 2 batches for 80 total then you make 240 selling price

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If flower is $250 an oz and an oz goes into a pound (2 cups) of butter which is 7grams of flower per stick (half cup/8tblspn)... And 7g of flower is $70.... Is $70 per stick fair? It doesnt include the cost of labor, butter nor a % of the cost of the machine used to make it; only the retail cost of the flower that went into it..... Plus consuming has different benefits than smoking, including a longer high. The customer will also have versatility in what they choose to infuse. Plus if they are looking anyway they prefer the butter to the flower (at least at that moment)... I think that would be fair..... Or they can spend $70 on the flower, buy the butter and lecithin and make it themselves.

And if the maker uses a good amount of trim to where the potency is the same, well great for them and their business savvy 👏 cause they saved money on the back end. It works great for the seller and the buyer. So its very fair.