A Fair Price For Cannabutter?

pic book

just figure waht you are putting into it product wise and materials.... theres no labor involved... you should get what it costs to make it and the price of the buds you grew and expect to get out of them or the cuttings. you can't expect to put 14 grams in and get 20$ per gram on the butter... you need to be realistic and make sure your making things in the right ratios to keep potency but not make a loss in product profit

• 2 years later...

If I was actually charging the hours it takes me to make 1lb of butter nobody would be able to afford it. I should clarify, if I charged my regular job hourly rate.   But, that being said when I do make it, I keep enough for me and just give the rest to my patients. I have never charged for butter or trim to make butter. I guess I get some karma out of it.

Charge what you used to make it...Ive never gotten what I consider to be good quality from regular trim tho, this is usually free...who wants to buy stuff that no matter the ratio its still gona have a green taste.although I had someone try to charge me a bill for a plain chocolate cake once....maybe we should open bakery's eh?

Try doing a second water run after you have completed the first one. Take the now solid butter , put it back in the pan with fresh water, melt it off again, let it simmer for a little while, then strain it off again. Your butter will be very clean.  And seriously, if you have high powered strains all you need is trim.

Try doing a second water run after you have completed the first one. Take the now solid butter , put it back in the pan with fresh water, melt it off again, let it simmer for a little while, then strain it off again. Your butter will be very clean.  And seriously, if you have high powered strains all you need is trim.

right on.....

Thanks...I didn't know doing that would make it cleaner.im by no means an experienced butter maker.very few have asked for it...but now I had a brownie the other day from a nice feller and man..I didn't taste a thing, was quite a delicious minty brownie and it more than did what I wanted.I'm thinking I wanna try to learn to replicate this level of quality. Difficult?

It isn't difficult man, just time consuming. Try sticking with a 1/4 lb of trim for 1lb of butter and do the second run with fresh water. It will be totally clean of any taste of "green".

hey thanks man.im really interested in doing it right or the way to get the best quality.i think if I can replicate that quality of the brownie I had, then I could get more people interested in edibles. Currently I use a crockpot to infuse the butter.can you refer me to a good tutorial?

nice tip, Im going to make cannabutter tomorrow for the first time in over a year, and going to try this.

To the OP, I think 25_50 dollars lb is fair dependent on potency JMO

• 1 month later...

I sell sticks of butter (1/4lb) for $40.

It's the most potent butter you can find.

a 1" x1 " treat will knock you on your donkey for 10 hours.

One guy was pissed at my prices and passsed.  He thought it should cost $10 per stick.  I guess he doesn't understand the word "concentration"

Edited by garyfisher

I'm doing for the most part the same thing. To your comment about time, I tend to brew up butter in the winter when I am stuck inside all day. I'm always happy when I have made the effort,but it's hard sometimes to block out time to do it.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

When i make butter i use buds only,, half oz for two sticks of butter., and i get 70,00 the cost of the buds. time and butter i give freely. I dont mind the hour or two  to make it!  I find the break down is 36 cookies at 40mg thc per cookie. thats enough to feel real good for a resonalble time 4hrs min.  there are charts for doseages break down all over the net ,,, No one has ever complained yet.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. This hasn't been updated in a Long While.

1st- I see very small ratios. I no longer bother using trim. I decarboxalate my greens. Perfectly. When I used trim, I used a 2:1 Ratio. Bud- 1:1 Ratio. 

1 part cannabis = 1g/Bud; or 2g/Good sugar leaf; or 1/2g/kief ... 1 liquid ounce- is the 2nd measurement in my ratio. 

So, for 1lb butter = 16g/Bud:16oz Butter. This yields 110- 130mg/thc/tsp... or 32g/Trim:16ozButter... Or 8g/Kief:16ozButter 

Why not, clarify your butter (takes About 30 minutes, prep/start/finish) then, add Decarbed cannabis. If the "green taste" is an issue. I make butter, that averages 110mg/tsp... I DO Not waste my time on trim. I use 1:1 Gram/Oz for All infusion- AS A Base. I never use bud that isn't Perfectly Decarbed. Yes- I Can make that claim. 

Clarify Butter: Ingredients:

Unsalted Butter 1 lb

Heavy bottom 2.5 quart pot. (A White enamel interior- will help you learn to "SEE" the process even better)

Silicone spatula

A cheesecloth, A fine mesh strainer, Funnel, Glass jar

In your sauce pan... on medium-low heat, melt all 4 sticks of butter. Slowly, is your best friend in this process.

Use a thermometer as needed, you do Not want any boiling, a very light simmer. 130° F is the ideal temperature for 20 minutes. Stirring Gently, occassionally- but never touching the bottom of the pan and mixing the solids back into the butter. You will see the milk solids separate from the butter. A foam will float to the top, and some will sink to the bottom. Skim the foam off of the top of the butter gently, the butter color will change as well, a pretty golden color. After 20 minutes, of extremely mild simmer pour the pan over your cheesecloth/strainer, into a quart jar. 

If you are confident in your clarified butter, you can pour it into a butter mold, or a portion mold, so you have an easy time using it. 

Ghee infuses with cannabis in a way that is indescribable. The taste is amazing, the nuttier flavor of ghee- certainly helps to cover. And the shelf life is much longer. 

Infused Ghee, lends itself well to flavored butters Ex: Fresh Ground Garlic cloves, whipped in for a beautiful, fresh Garlic butter, Cinnamon and Sugar- for Delectable toast,  Infused Ghee- as a base for homemade royal icing. The possibilities are Truly endless!!

The idea, is to remove the milk fat and milk fat solids from being homogenized. Clarifying (cleaning) the impurities from the butter. In turn, making a nuttier flavored, healthier alternative, to processed butter. As well as a better taste. Clarified Butter (Ghee) has a 450° smoking point- meaning you can Fry with it.