Michigan's Biggest Medical Marijuana Expo

If anyone is going to this, make note that Novi has a very marijuana hostile police force. Be safe.

http://metrotimes.com/mmj/all-together-now-1.1116151

All together now

Getting ready for Michigan's biggest medical marijuana expo

By Larry Gabriel

Published: March 9, 2011

Print Email Twitter Facebook MySpace Stumble Digg

More Destinations

What looks to be Michigan's biggest medical marijuana expo to date is set for this weekend at the Suburban Collection (formerly Rock Financial) Showplace in Novi. Mostly sponsored by Michigan-based organizations — MINORML, the American Medical Marijuana Professionals (AMMP) certification clinic, Brighton Area Compassion Clubs, High Times magazine, and others — the Medical Marijuana Expo 2011, THC (treating health concerns) in Michigan seems to be a solid event with about 100 vendors. Big Daddy's Hydro and Metro Times have hosted smaller events of this nature before, but this one looks to take it to a higher level.

"Hopefully it will grow from this," says Tom French, expo promoter and owner of AMMP. "We're putting it on to educate the public and promote all of these local companies."

Indeed, the Friday to Sunday schedule is packed with demonstrations, classes and speakers such as Tim Beck, who helped write Michigan's medical marijuana law, giving some insight into the process. Doug Orton of Oakland County NORML will address methods of ingestion, and the Rev. Steve Thompson of MINORML will discuss coming out of the closet with marijuana. Mike Whitty is to take on the psychological and spiritual benefits of cannabis. Those are just some of the speakers. Classes and demonstrations cover things like edible medications, growing, harvesting and activism. Dr. Dean Fior of AMMP will host an "ask the doctor" session.

There should be a very interesting mix of people at the Suburban Collection. The medical marijuana expo is in Hall A. Novi High School has a fundraiser scheduled for the American Cancer Society in Hall B, and there's a gun and knife show in Hall C. It doesn't get any better for the survivalist cancer patients who want to grow their own medicine back in the woods while hunting.

In addition to being an industry expo, the event raises the profile of the medical marijuana community in the public eye. It's the kind of thing people who attended a two-day activist training by Americans for Safe Access in February see as an opportunity to help the cause in Michigan. Michelle Selzer, who lives on the western side of the state but didn't want to give her exact location, took the activist training and plans on working at the ASA booth during the expo.

"I consider myself a volunteer patient advocate," says Selzer. "I've been following the medical marijuana movement since the act went into effect a couple of years ago. I have friends and family who are patients and caregivers. I think it's important to be the face that ends up in front of the city councils and talks about the importance of medical marijuana. Some people are too scared or too sick to do this. I think one of the things I really didn't appreciate before was the need to organize. There are a lot of different groups engaging at many different levels. I never really thought about how to go about building a coalition, building common ground and strategic planning for how we can go about doing that."

Dondi Meitz, a medical marijuana patient active in the Brighton Area Compassion Clubs who took the training, says, "It was good for honing my activist skills. ASA is a bigger group than I'm used to, so there's more outreach available, giving us the ability to network throughout the United States. ASA has been around a long time and it's in all of the states. It really is about networking."

ASA says it is the United States' oldest medical cannabis group and maintains a full-time lobbyist in Washington, D.C. The organization claims to have convinced President Barack Obama to back off on raiding medical marijuana dispensaries. Brandy Zink, a local ambassador, and Raudel Wilson, ASA's community development coordinator, will both speak at the expo. Then Wilson will stay in Michigan for a week to work with community activists. Wilson can be reached at raudel@safeaccessnow.org.

The Medical Marijuana Expo is an example of what can happen when people do get organized. You can find out more about it at ammp.com, or call 877-794-2099. There is a promotional video for the expo on YouTube under the title AMMP Medical Marijuana Expo. Also, ASA has a DVD of the activist training available. The organization can be reached through its website at safeaccessnow.org.

Remember the petition initiative to put the question of legalizing marijuana in Detroit on the ballot last year? If you don't, it may be because discussion pretty much died after the Detroit Election Board decided not to put it on the ballot. The proposed ordinance would have decriminalized possession of 1 ounce or less by a person 21 or older while on private property.

"We never really talked much about it because we knew it would be pre-empted by state law," City Council member Saunteel Jenkins told me when I spoke to her about it several weeks ago. Not that she has anything to do with the election board, but the comment tells you something about the sentiment at City Hall.

Maybe there will be more talk about it now. The Coalition for a Safer Detroit, which ran the petition effort, filed an appeal of the Wayne Circuit Court's decision last August backing the election board. The coalition argues that the election board's decision keeping the question off the ballot was clearly based on the members' "disapproval of the objective the initiative petition seeks to accomplish." Translation: They just didn't want to see marijuana legalized in the city.

"The appeal says that the city of Detroit created a fictitious conflict between state and city law as far as pre-emption," says Beck, a coalition leader. "The bottom line is we are determined that the rule of law is going to exist in the city of Detroit period, and in Wayne County. That is why we are so determined to go forward. This is a complete abuse of their authority. We may as well be living in a Third World country the way these people can arbitrarily and capriciously disregard the rule of law. And we're taking this as far as we can. We are also asking the appeals court to publish their opinion; that means that it becomes binding law. So that Detroit and any other city cannot play that type of game again. Either a ballot initiative process exists in Detroit or it doesn't. If we lose the case that means we don't have a ballot initiative process in Detroit."

One reason the appeal wasn't filed until January is that the coalition had to file a motion for contempt of court against the court reporter in order to get a transcript of the first hearing, which is required for an appeal. The coalition finally got its transcript on Jan. 6. The appeal argues that since the petition fulfilled all legal requirements to go on the ballot, it doesn't matter what anyone thought about its content.

http://metrotimes.com/mmj/all-together-now-1.1116151

*A Medical Marijuana Expo,T.H.C.in Michigan Expo" (Treating Health Concerns) "How To Make Money Off The Sick and Dieing"

No free presentations or classes for those who could benefit but cannot afford even a ten dollar ticket. Just another group of vultures out to suck any and all monies they can get their greedy little fingers on from patients.

Can learn anything and everything about Medicinal Cannabis here for FREE!! And at your local CC for FREE!!

Admission: Non-Card Holders $15.00 per day or $40.00 (3) day pass

Card Holders $10.00 per day or $25.00 (3) day pass

Classes/Speaker/Demonstrations $20.00 Each, 3 pack of classes for $50

VIP Pass $250.00 includes 3 day entrance pass, any/all

classes/speakers/demonstrations and entrance and to medication facility (if available)

* Annual Admittance Pass cannot be used for this event.

To Your Continued Good Health

Ed

Guest knucklehead bob

I know I can't afford it ! So , like the "IDIOT BOX" commercial suggests , you decide which is the better price . Learn here for free or go throw your HARD EARNED DOLLARS AWAY !

This event will primarily benefit MACC members and supporters. This means every dime you spend there will be used against you in the future. Thanks, Joe

During this months Brighton Area Compassion Club meeting a well known MACC rep said that they were considering pulling out their support for various reasons. MACC was asked to put on a couple of classes and was given a free class room, their only involvement. ASA and Matt Abel were also displeased with the promoters using their names to promote activity that they were against.

It does sound like those who are putting this event on may not be the most outstanding citizens, but we should put the blame were it belongs.

*A Medical Marijuana Expo,T.H.C.in Michigan Expo" (Treating Health Concerns) "How To Make Money Off The Sick and Dieing"

No free presentations or classes for those who could benefit but cannot afford even a ten dollar ticket. Just another group of vultures out to suck any and all monies they can get their greedy little fingers on from patients.

Can learn anything and everything about Medicinal Cannabis here for FREE!! And at your local CC for FREE!!

Admission: Non-Card Holders $15.00 per day or $40.00 (3) day pass

Card Holders $10.00 per day or $25.00 (3) day pass

Classes/Speaker/Demonstrations $20.00 Each, 3 pack of classes for $50

VIP Pass $250.00 includes 3 day entrance pass, any/all

classes/speakers/demonstrations and entrance and to medication facility (if available)

* Annual Admittance Pass cannot be used for this event.

To Your Continued Good Health

Ed

Did you go to the expo the MMMA through a couple of years back? Nothing was free during that ether. Many here volunteered their time to pull it off and it still lost money. It was a lot of fun though, even though it rained and we got all muddy. This event seems to have a similar structure to the MMMA event, with a few exceptions.

I am not going to this expo. I do not know if it is a good or bad event, but expos by nature are not inherently evil.

if you get bored the same building is hosting other events lol -

*A Medical Marijuana Expo, T.H.C. in Michigan Expo (Treating Health Concerns)

March 11-13, 2011

Gun & Knife Show

March 12-13, 2011

Relay for Life of Northville-Novi Students

March 12-13, 2011

*Corey's Bar Mitzvah

March 13, 2011

High school students, gun nuts, and marijuana expo - that should have the cops pretty busy there.

-DN

This is not true. MACC was offered some class room space for free, that is their only involvement.

They are being portrayed as the major sponsors of the event, and it matters little if they aren't as involved as the ads suggest.

Why would anyone offer MACC anything free unless they support MACC? Because they think we respect them? They can't be that disconnected from reality.

The people throwing this shindig want you to believe MACC is tossing the party - that's more than reason enough to abandon the project all together. Riding the fence for a buck doesn't excuse ones actions. If you attend this event you are supporting the MACC with both money and publicity they will use against patients and caregivers.

"They are being portrayed as the major sponsors of the event, and it matters little if they aren't as involved as the ads suggest."

Gotta ask, who among us has never made a mistake...??? I believe that many were fooled by this group, we'll know more by who actually shows up to do the show...

"They are being portrayed as the major sponsors of the event, and it matters little if they aren't as involved as the ads suggest."

Gotta ask, who among us has never made a mistake...??? I believe that many were fooled by this group, we'll know more by who actually shows up to do the show...

I'm not blaming you or anyone that got snookered. Believe me they already nailed me pretty good.

My point is that any support that is given will be used against the patients and caregivers.

The only way we get Lansing to take us seriously is to take ourselves seriously.

Not that I condone it, (and I think BB was just being emotional for effect anyway), how can we talk of having them arrested for the damage they do to the patients and caregivers, and then hang out in the next booth at a show dispaying thier logo with any credibility?

The same crew of guys have screwed this community over at least a half dozen times in just the last week!

People need to wake up.

You can't sit on the fence and expect to be effective or victorious.

I know I haven't been on these boards in a while but after reading this thread I feel compelled to add my two cents.

All the negitivity about expo's in general concerns me for the simple reason that if it's properly executed, it will generate a ton of positive press for "our community". A recent poll indicates 61% of Michigan voters would vote for Prop 1 again, we still have strong support among voters and any event that generates good publicity means that support stays strong and grows.

I do agree with the comments about Oakland County LEO's licking their chops at the thought of thousands of cannabis consumers together in one parking lot in their backyard. There is a strong likelyhood that they will try intimidating some visitors to this event. That's why I think we should be looking at this as an opportunity to directly engage any profiling or over-enforcement by those who are clearly on the wrong side of this issue. We should show up... and be prepared to videotape cops harassing patients and caregivers, encircle their cars to prevent them from leaving the parking area, and have signs ready to demonstrate for TV cameras if things get ugly.

Events that raise awareness of medical cannabis in the mainstream and are portrayed in a positive light must be embraced by this community, even if you can not afford to attend. Regarding this event, I'll rely on JustBudz feelings about this expo and it's organizers, but I will be attending on Friday to check it out.

I feel I must also disclose I own Expo Entertainment Group, Inc., a company that produces and promotes events for the medical cannabis community. Be assured, your concerns about these events have not fallen on deaf ears and when EEG produces our next event we will address the needs of the economically challenged.

Brad

Deep background: Tom French, late 40's, owns a patient certification clinic in Roseville (AAMP) and a cannabis school with a location in that same building in Roseville and another rented location in western suburbs. I think the doctor whose speaking, Dean (don't know last name) performs certs in Tom's offices in Roseville. Tom was/maybe still is, the operator of a driveway paving/cement contracting business. He's also the organizer and operator of near a dozen 99 plant grow rooms in suburbs located in rented warehouses west of Roseville (primarily Warren). He has done well with a 9th grade education. To Tom, everyone is 'bro.' His wife's family has money and she financed the expo, or so I hear.

This event will primarily benefit MACC members and supporters. This means every dime you spend there will be used against you in the future. Thanks, Joe

They are being portrayed as the major sponsors of the event, and it matters little if they aren't as involved as the ads suggest.

Why would anyone offer MACC anything free unless they support MACC? Because they think we respect them? They can't be that disconnected from reality.

The people throwing this shindig want you to believe MACC is tossing the party - that's more than reason enough to abandon the project all together. Riding the fence for a buck doesn't excuse ones actions. If you attend this event you are supporting the MACC with both money and publicity they will use against patients and caregivers.

I'm not sure what you saw that said MACC was a main sponsor for this event. I found this video ad for the expo and they are not even mentioned. Looks like the top 6 sponsors are Helping Hands, Michigan Normal, Absolute Herbal Remedies, Downriver Community Compassion Club, High Times and Brighton Area Compassion Club.

Seems like anytime anything happens, people think MACC's behind it, from Laws being re-introduced to server attacks. I'm getting scared to sleep at night thinking MACC might be trying to break into my house at night now.

LOL, forgot to add the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FridayFourTwenty

Stoner Moment =P

I know I haven't been on these boards in a while but after reading this thread I feel compelled to add my two cents.

All the negitivity about expo's in general concerns me for the simple reason that if it's properly executed, it will generate a ton of positive press for "our community". A recent poll indicates 61% of Michigan voters would vote for Prop 1 again, we still have strong support among voters and any event that generates good publicity means that support stays strong and grows.

I do agree with the comments about Oakland County LEO's licking their chops at the thought of thousands of cannabis consumers together in one parking lot in their backyard. There is a strong likelyhood that they will try intimidating some visitors to this event. That's why I think we should be looking at this as an opportunity to directly engage any profiling or over-enforcement by those who are clearly on the wrong side of this issue. We should show up... and be prepared to videotape cops harassing patients and caregivers, encircle their cars to prevent them from leaving the parking area, and have signs ready to demonstrate for TV cameras if things get ugly.

Events that raise awareness of medical cannabis in the mainstream and are portrayed in a positive light must be embraced by this community, even if you can not afford to attend. Regarding this event, I'll rely on JustBudz feelings about this expo and it's organizers, but I will be attending on Friday to check it out.

I feel I must also disclose I own Expo Entertainment Group, Inc., a company that produces and promotes events for the medical cannabis community. Be assured, your concerns about these events have not fallen on deaf ears and when EEG produces our next event we will address the needs of the economically challenged.

Brad

You and your partners told us you needed volunteers for a non-profit effort to support this org, (mmma) at that first Expo.

We volunteered en masse, and then found you had lied to us about your business interest in the affair.

You appear concerned; but it's clear you are concerned only for your next paycheck using the patients of Michigan to give you legitimacy.

I'm still waiting for that tee-shirt...

edit - okay I have a memory like an elephant, and I'm admittedly still sore over that mess.

I'll walk back the concern statement because I really don't know where you are coming from now, and because I want to believe you are still the old Brad in there somewhere.

I like your idea of providing entrance to patients; maybe pledge some proceeds to these fine people, and work closely with them to make it a success for you and them.

These patients and thier caregivers hold the power to make anything like this a success or a failure - if the event is planned properly with the patient/caregiver concerns front and center and out in the open, there is no reason not to work together.

Brighton Area Compassion Club

Promoting Positive Patient Outcomes Through Cannabis Therapy

A message to all members of Brighton Area Compassion Club

Due to recently revealed facts about the promoters of the Expo being held this weekend in Novi, the BACC, after much discussion and, finally, coming to an agreement among the board members of the group, we will not be attending the event. It has come to light that this is likely not to benefit the community at all, in fact, the major money man for the promoters has stated that "we don't need the cannabis community leadership" nor do they want our input, and so, we shall see how that works for them. If any of you have further concerns, I am willing to discuss this with you. I suggest that no one take any medicine with them to Novi, as Oakland and Novi police will be there "in force", both uniformed and plain clothes officers. There will be profileing done, so the odds are that many will be pulled over as they leave the event. If you get on the "medicine" bus and travel to their "safe" smoke spot there could be a surprise waiting for you. I apologize to the many of you who were looking forward to this event, but I must make these statements and follow my heart. I feel it is important that we protect you from those who don't care if they do you harm, and admit that we were completely taken in by this group running the event. Better we find out their intent later than never at all. We have tried very hard to keep the name of the BACC clean and unsullied and will continue to do so in the future...

I will be there, but the BACC will not have a booth, nor will I be giving classes as scheduled. When I discovered that instead of allowing folks to learn from me gratis, and charging a fee for my class, I had to withdraw.

Look for me at the MINORML booth, or at the ASA booth, where I will attempt to put some legitamacy to our community and counter what will likely be "bad press".

Any questions should be directed to me, SORRY DIDN'T REALIZE YOUR PHONE NUMBER WAS IN HERE!

Visit Brighton Area Compassion Club at: http://brightoncompassion.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

I was looking forward to this event, but its sounding kind of hinky.

Hmmm, I think maybe I'll go to the big sale at 2 guys and a grow shop up in Lennon instead.

I'm gonna advise my patient group to stay home and save their money for the next MOCC event.

big sales, buy my hood, enter this drawing, heres a free lighter, buy this 450 dollar bong, need a cert, want cannabis insurance.

i had at least 15 people ask if i needed a ride to the off site medication facility, great prices on the meds there they say. I even had a girl try to get me to head out to richmond to get her boyfriends purps, only $400 an ounce, really, you can flip that in no time and come back for the better stuff she flat out says to me :)

Usual trade show crap, although, the hookers, i mean models dressed in stripper nurse outfits with asscheeks hanging really added that touch of positive image and education i saw someone in another post describe.

Keep up the good work

WHATEVER

Oh, and the mega pierced hula-hoop dancer really had me wanting to buy that $1700 line of nutes.........NOT

Clean it up, it might be a worthwhile event in teh future

I attended this event on Friday. I got there at 5pm when they opened and there were about 50 people waiting to go in. The hall was set up nice and most vendors provided nice displays. While it was billed as Treating Health Concerns Expo, it was a cannabis lifestyle show with scantilly clad promo models and a charter bus that took passengers to a dispensary owned by the show's promoters where they had several people dispensing meds. The only vendors close to medical, not counting the certification centers and collectives, were a massage therapist and a chiropractor. I missed the speakers as they were away from the main show in a conference room and you could not hear the announcements because the PA echoed in the large hall. I stayed till closing at 10pm and estimate maybe 600 visitors on day 1.

I think it's worth visiting if you have extra cash. It cost $10 for a ticket and $5 to park. I will warn you about the Novi cops who showed up enmasse. They parked 4 shiney new cars right in front of the entrance of the show in what I suspect was an effort to scare visitors away. I would encourage the promoters to sue, I'll testify on their behalf. The cops paraded through the vendors all night intimidating many of them too no doubt.

Archived