Medicating After Tooth Extraction

Smoking can cause dry socket I was told and... that doesn't sound pleasant.

Luckily, I still have some oil I made. Should do fine :phew:

Just thought I would mention this for anyone that may need a tooth pulled to

have alternative method of medicating other than to smoke.

Oh yeah know all about tooth extractions etc.. had all wisdoms taken out, had 7 teeth pulled at once when i was 6yrs old, etc.. As for dry sockets... yup NOT FUN!!! Seen a few loved ones go thru it luckily never had to thank heavens knock on wood lol.. BUT the last wisdoms i got taken out was when i was 18.. took 2 of them at once both bottoms.. ill be very honest.. they said the same thing to me no smoking etc.. but i did..not cigs.. but i got home and mom and dad smoked me out they knew it would help. I never had a problem with dry sockets from mm. And even back in the day loooooong time ago when the dinosaurs roamed my parents knew it would help and it sure did.. BUT since there are still variables and each person is essentially different.. your right oils, medibles etc can work.. make sure the medibles are soft.. and no big deal :) Good to post this out there for others... knowledge is power and thank you for sharing :) Peace and Love and I hope that you feel better soon. Can completely sympathize with ya on this one for sure.. :hugs:

Not actually its the hot smoke that causes the dry socket .

actually and to be very honest even tho the hot smoke as well as the chemicals ie nicotine can have affects on the healing of such its neither of those that "causes" the dry socket. What really does it is the "Sucking" in of the smoke be it cigarettes or Medical cannabis or anything for that matter that requires you to suck alot (lol). They also recommend that you do not use a straw after a tooth extraction for the very same reasoning. Like I said before, I smoked cannabis after they took out both of my bottom wisdoms and had no problems but thats not saying that it could happen to someone else. So anyways I just wanted to Clear up the misinformation i read in here and try to shed some real information in place for the better understanding of all involved! peace and love all!! :)

Smoke is indeed another cause of dry socket first it irritates the general open wound from the hot smoke second inhaling any smoke decreases blood flow thus hindering the clotting process if the clot cant normaly form it falls out .

I'm not sure what you see As misinformation in my quote i never said it was the only cause just that its one of them and theres no difference in what smoke you inhale cigarettes or cannabis both can cause dry socket .

It is the suction created when drawing in on cigs or medicine- or drinking through a straw- that interferes with proper clot formation. Spitting, sneezing with your mouth closed or blowing your nose hard, or blowing up balloons can also dislodge the clot. I have not heard anything about the heat of the smoke creating the problem per se.

I've never had a dry socket, but have heard many reports from patients over the years about how painful having a dry socket is.

You really don't want to take any chances on creating one of those by doing anything to prevent the clot from forming in that first 48 hours afterwards!

I would suggest tinctures or medibles instead as better choices for post op pain.

Ya, that mostly refers to tobacco products with nicotine, not mm.

You should learn what you are talking about before you speak, its not only cigarettes its any type of smoking or suction going past the area where the tooth was extracted that causes a dry socket.

You should learn what you are talking about before you speak, its not only cigarettes its any type of smoking or suction going past the area where the tooth was extracted that causes a dry socket.

be nice, but you're correct. I made a gravity bong when I had mine out. Worked out ok for me.

Rockinlespaul and kingofbuds provided me with some very potent canna budder to get me through this trying process . :bow:

Hat's off to them! Each time I hear of a member stepping up

to help others, I tear up (yeah, I'm kinda gooey that way)

I'm so glad you found relief Kd.

It is a trying time to even loose a tooth/ teeth.

I was depressed as heck. I hadn't expected it to be pulled

as I had no pain. New dentist, new ex-rays showed me that

after 36yrs of fixing this tooth... it was beyond repair :(

(unless I wanted to shell out 2k give or take :startle:)

Dentistry is a sore (haha) spot w/ me. Our teeth are our

1st. defense. There is no/ or little (?) control over what

Dentists can charge you for services. The cost is extreme.

If you are poor you walk around w/ rotted teeth, which means

infection coursing through your body. One isn't able to chew

up food properly, causing the digestive system to work harder.

Oye... I could go on but won't.

I understood it to be the suction, possibly dislodging the clot.

DON'T quote me!

Feel better today. Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

If you would like to experiment, maybe a little myrrh oil in one of the holes would help it heal more quickly? If you try it, I would be interested in the results.

Look past the sales pitch about 3/4 down the page for more info

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/myrrh-essential-oil.html

PS I'm not a doctor and cannot be held responsible for anything you do, I just have a curious mind.

Hat's off to them! Each time I hear of a member stepping up

to help others, I tear up (yeah, I'm kinda gooey that way)

I'm so glad you found relief Kd.

It is a trying time to even loose a tooth/ teeth.

I was depressed as heck. I hadn't expected it to be pulled

as I had no pain. New dentist, new ex-rays showed me that

after 36yrs of fixing this tooth... it was beyond repair :(

(unless I wanted to shell out 2k give or take :startle:)

Dentistry is a sore (haha) spot w/ me. Our teeth are our

1st. defense. There is no/ or little (?) control over what

Dentists can charge you for services. The cost is extreme.

If you are poor you walk around w/ rotted teeth, which means

infection coursing through your body. One isn't able to chew

up food properly, causing the digestive system to work harder.

Oye... I could go on but won't.

I understood it to be the suction, possibly dislodging the clot.

DON'T quote me!

Feel better today. Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Glad to hear your doing better today! Best wishes always! As for the costs amen to that one. Its been over 10 yrs since ive seen a dentist. ive tried to maintain my teeth regularly but alas with time age and diet its all against our teeth and your right I cannot afford to go in and get the tooth that just broke a week ago fixed. Huge chunk came out of an old filling exposing my roots.. holy pain.. thats for sure.. and EXPENSIVE!!!!! But cant afford to see anyone, have no insurance to cover it.. So I feel ya, sympathize with ya and again wish you the best.. Hope this beautiful sunny weather we are supposed to have coming up will help put a smile on your face despite the pain. Peace and love always! :)

If you would like to experiment, maybe a little myrrh oil in one of the holes would help it heal more quickly? If you try it, I would be interested in the results.

Look past the sales pitch about 3/4 down the page for more info

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/myrrh-essential-oil.html

PS I'm not a doctor and cannot be held responsible for anything you do, I just have a curious mind.

My mother swore by whole cloves.. put them in the mouth near the affected areas and just let the saliva break it down kinda suck on it without sucking lol.. but really it does work for all kinds of tooth pains etc.. When you mentioned myrrh oil it sparked my memories (i am curious about myrrh oil too tho) but i do know that cloves help from my own experiences as well as that of my loved ones... peace and love always :) great suggestion to think on :) i may even myself look into this :)

My mother swore by whole cloves.. put them in the mouth near the affected areas and just let the saliva break it down kinda suck on it without sucking lol.. but really it does work for all kinds of tooth pains etc.. When you mentioned myrrh oil it sparked my memories (i am curious about myrrh oil too tho) but i do know that cloves help from my own experiences as well as that of my loved ones... peace and love always :) great suggestion to think on :) i may even myself look into this :)

Just went to the dentist today, Im a younger guy with horrible teeth. Had a drinking problem when I was in my late teens, would drink my self to black out and not brust my teeth, 5 years of the and a cavatiy in nearly every tooth. Right now I am getting my teeth fixed slowly since it does cost so much but the clove aspect it still to this day one of the best cures for tooth pain. I had 3 crowns put on this afternoon and my teeth were very sensitive after taking the temp off, my dentist wants to avoid as many root canals as he can becasue that basically kills the tooth, anyways his solution was to cement my caps in with a medicated cement with clove in it. 6 hours later and my teeth feel great, my gums are really sore and my wallet is EMPTY. $1900 for 3 crowns, and thats with my "discount plan" since I can't afford full out insurance.

Sorry for the mini rant I just have a sore spot with dentists aswell

Good Luck!!

lmao :thumbsu::goodjob:

Thats funny what you got an extraction coming up, and want a ginue pig lol!

Mimom............says your way funny!

No extraction coming up. Myrrh has been used for a really long time for oral hygiene, among other things, and I am curious if it helps speed healing of the socket. It helps speed healing of canker sores in my experiences. I use myrrh 2x daily as a mouthwash and the dental assistant was so impressed w/the condition my gums she got the dentist and they asked what I was using.

It is the suction created when drawing in on cigs or medicine- or drinking through a straw- that interferes with proper clot formation. Spitting, sneezing with your mouth closed or blowing your nose hard, or blowing up balloons can also dislodge the clot. I have not heard anything about the heat of the smoke creating the problem per se.

I've never had a dry socket, but have heard many reports from patients over the years about how painful having a dry socket is.

You really don't want to take any chances on creating one of those by doing anything to prevent the clot from forming in that first 48 hours afterwards!

I would suggest tinctures or medibles instead as better choices for post op pain.

Great Post....

Also, I had dry sockets......from.....you guessed it smoking MM.

BUT~~~ I did some research. I read that they mostly have found dry sockets happen with Wisdom teeth.

Specifically, the lower. Which is where I had mine.

Anyone have dry sockets anywhere aside from the lower Wisdom teeth?

It would be interesting none the less......

I did have a lower back tooth pulled in Jan. I smoked afterwards........(darn the Dry sockets!) and this time I did not get them!

HOWEVER~~ I did NOT draw hard. I had my CG light it and get it going for me (talk about assisting with my medical use!) And then I

just kinda inhaled it.

And you should follow your own advice, especially if all you proffer on your own is "suction"? That argument is mentioned in the literature only in conjunction with the use of straws and drinks, i certainly can not remember seeing a normal person sucking on a cigarette in any way that would produce negative pressures of any consequence. I talk not out of my asp, and in this case both Wikipedia and the MayoClinic seem to agree.

In opposition, the pronounced vasoconstrictive effects of nicotine, and concomitant rise in blood pressure seem a much more likely pathway for blood clot loss, although you're welcome to stick with your sucky reasoning...

Are the arguments ever going to end on this site? I'm not saying its just you guys it happens in darn near every thread on here. It reminds me of the high school drama of when everyone had to be the biggest and the best. We need to act like adults if we ever want anyone to take us seriously, if anyone comes on here and reads these threads it sounds like a bunch of 15 year old girls complaining about the boy of the week and to be brash its very annoying. We really need to try to get along and work together or our movement is going to fail miserably.

Are the arguments ever going to end on this site? I'm not saying its just you guys it happens in darn near every thread on here. It reminds me of the high school drama of when everyone had to be the biggest and the best. We need to act like adults if we ever want anyone to take us seriously, if anyone comes on here and reads these threads it sounds like a bunch of 15 year old girls complaining about the boy of the week and to be brash its very annoying. We really need to try to get along and work together or our movement is going to fail miserably.

Thank you.

I put this up so those who may need this type of dental work to

be fore warned to the possiblilities of dry socket. I was led to

believe that it was the sucking but...

anywho, why argue over something as trite as to why... instead

of concentrating upon a solution?

Cripes, I can't stand all this aggravation of ppl wanting to stir

up others posts.

Make your point then cite. No neg comments need to be made

in a personal fashion. jmho

Great Post....

Also, I had dry sockets......from.....you guessed it smoking MM.

BUT~~~ I did some research. I read that they mostly have found dry sockets happen with Wisdom teeth.

Specifically, the lower. Which is where I had mine.

Anyone have dry sockets anywhere aside from the lower Wisdom teeth?

It would be interesting none the less......

I did have a lower back tooth pulled in Jan. I smoked afterwards........(darn the Dry sockets!) and this time I did not get them!

HOWEVER~~ I did NOT draw hard. I had my CG light it and get it going for me (talk about assisting with my medical use!) And then I

just kinda inhaled it.

Hi Irish!

Sorry to hear of your pain :(

That is Care Giving in the finest sense :thumbsu:

And you should follow your own advice, especially if all you proffer on your own is "suction"? That argument is mentioned in the literature only in conjunction with the use of straws and drinks, i certainly can not remember seeing a normal person sucking on a cigarette in any way that would produce negative pressures of any consequence. I talk not out of my asp, and in this case both Wikipedia and the MayoClinic seem to agree.

In opposition, the pronounced vasoconstrictive effects of nicotine, and concomitant rise in blood pressure seem a much more likely pathway for blood clot loss, although you're welcome to stick with your sucky reasoning...

when you draw on a cig or a j it creates suction it does not have to be a ton, I very rarely use straws but when I never sucked on a straw harder than a cigarette unless of course it was a milkshake. Any suction is bad suction when you have an opening in your gums, but hey if you read it on Wikipedia lord knows it must be right...

(Disclaimer- Not everything on Wikipedia is always 100% accurate, people who live by that logic are naive and simple, citing what you read on Wikipedia does not count as knowledge it counts as citing an inaccurate source and you are just as smart or as stupid as you were before reading it.)

Archived