Batman Arrested In Petoskey

A 31-year-old Harbor Springs man who, police say,

was on the roof of Meyer Ace Hardware in downtown Petoskey,

dressed as Batman, and, who was arrested early Wednesday morning

for trespassing and possession of dangerous weapons, has been arraigned.

Mark Wayne Williams faces one count of carrying a concealed weapon,

for allegedly carrying Freeze Plus P, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison or a $2,500 fine; one count of carrying a concealed weapon, for allegedly carrying a folding steel baton or bludgeon, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison or a $2,500 fine; one count of carrying a concealed weapon, for allegedly carrying weighted Sap (sand filled) gloves, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison or a $2,500 fine; one count of dangerous weapon -- gas ejective device, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and, or a $2,500 fine; one count of dangerous weapon -- miscellaneous, for allegedly possessing a bludgeon, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and, or a $2,500 fine; one count of dangerous weapon -- miscellaneous, for allegedly possessing a sand bag, a felony offense, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and, or a $2,500 fine; and one count of disturbing the peace, a misdemeanor offense with a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and, or a $500 fine.

Williams is a habitual offender, third offense, court records show.

"I realize that this is a serious offense. I honestly had no idea the items I was holding are illegal," Williams told the court during his arraignment Wednesday afternoon in Emmet County 90th District Court. "I did not intend to harm anyone with these items. I swear that."

Petoskey police received a report of a man on the roof of a downtown business, located in the 400 block of East Mitchell Street, about 12:40 a.m. May 11, today, according to a Petoskey Department of Public Safety news release. Additional information supplied by central dispatch included the fact that the man was dressed as Batman.

Responding officers, including Michigan State Police troopers, saw "a male subject, dressed in a Batman costume, hanging off the western wall of the building," according to the release. The officers got onto the roof and pulled the man back onto it.

Officers detained the man and located a baton-type striking weapon, a can of chemical irritant spray and a pair of Sap sand filled gloves, according to the release. The suspect was arrested for trespassing and possession of dangerous weapons.

Public safety director John Calabrese said the department has had contact with Williams before.

"We've had contact with him in the past where he's made himself up to look like that Crow character, who's also a comic book character," Calabrese said, though he could not provide any further details.

Williams is to appear in court for a pre-trial conference May 23 and for a preliminary examination May 25. The court appointed Bryan Klawuhn to be his attorney.

Copy and Paste from :

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/breaking/pnr-batman-busted-20110511,0,3176877.story

-----------------------

Also made the News Channel

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=616473

Times are getting tough up here

when even Batman is getting Harassed & Arrested ...

Gesssssh .... WhatZ this world coming to ?

---------------------------------------------

Im sure he was just watching for when

" Petoskeystoned420 "

comes to town ..... LoL

The saddest part people neglect to see is it is apparent this poor man has issues.. mental issues. And thats not a laughing matter.. nor is it something this person should be thrown into prision over or fined as such with such harsh penalties.. I realize ignorance is no excuse for the law.. but when the police follow their own laws based upon ignorance its sad they contradict themselves yet we suffer besides with all the bullcrap laws and the thousands of laws and such out there how can one keep it all straight / know them all and avoid it all..get real then you add in a person with clear mental issues and what a combo.. This man should get counseling, there has to be a reason behind him no person in thier right real mind would dangle off a roof or building without the proper equipment etc.. Hes done this before... this clearly means this man needs help. not shoved in a cell to rot.. Cmon now.. Yeah we all laugh our butts off.. even I did.. But the other side of me is saying hey listen.. Hes childlike in actions and thoughts.. its an illness..maybe this is his way of getting attention-his way of reaching out..we all do in various ways for we all see things differently.

... Im sure if they took the time and effort to send him to proper professionals he may be able to be helped.. And hell i never knew carrying a baton was illegal.. hmmmm dont the cops carry the very same as well??? ... Illegal BAH! anyhoo.. there is more to this then meets the eye... Just another victim of this crappy life and system.. and hells bells we need a super hero these days.. is he really to far from the truth?.. maybe in his own mind he wanted to do something right.. play the part and feel part of the bigger picture since most of us are so oppressed there is essentially no way out.. ill put on a cat woman suit and join him! Best to him i hope he can find someone to care enough to look deeper and help him! :growl:

PPS looked up the Freeze P he had on him its sold in Ohio its easily purchased online.. its approved

AERKO - MIDWEST

AEROSOL DEFENSE SPRAYS

Willoughby, Ohio

Freeze + P 2K3

American Made

Home Page

Products

DEEP FREEZE

FREEZE +P 2K3

PUNCH II 2K3

PUNCH III

CLEAR OUT

Company

About Us

Contact Us

MSDS

SPECIAL FEATURES: Equipped with Aerko designed actuator – Black cans only

PROPELLANT: An HFC blend Dymel 134A chosen because it is relatively unaffected by temperature and will maintain a constant internal pressure, resulting in the last shot having the same range as the first shot. Range from

6 – 10 feet. Zero flammability potential. Secure On-Liine Ordering - Public

Secure On-line Ordering - Law Enforcement & Police Only

CONTENTS: Freeze + P is a mixture of 1% CS and 1% OC. A blend of industrial non-toxic solvents, capable of holding a stream yet rapid evaporation on the target. Formulated to penetrate a wet or greased face taking the active ingredient to the nerve endings for maximum effect. Formulated in 2002. (2K3) Specifically for use with electronic stunning devices. Zero flammability potential.

CANISTER: A seamless mono block aluminum can, lined for maximum shelf life. Equipped with the finest aerosol hardware available for long term reliability.

DYE: An ultra violet dye indelible and invisible showing the marking only under a black light. Cannot be washed off for a period of at least 24 hours.

EFFECTS: The person sprayed will quickly be incapacitated and for a period of approximately 20 minutes will be unable to take concerted action. His skin will burn; his eyelids will involuntarily close; he will have difficulty breathing. His mucus membranes will secrete freely. Most individuals will experience a feeling of panic.

FIRST AID: Without treatment the symptoms will clear up in about 20 minutes with no permanent effect. Recovery time may be shortened by washing with free-flowing water and soap or by directing a stream of fast flowing air into the face. Use no crams or salves.

POST EXPOSURE TREATMENT: No special procedures or washing are required as material will evaporate. Rate of evaporation can be speeded by increasing the rate of air flow.

ADVANTAGES: Freeze + P, is more effective than other products because it is non-flammable, holds a better stream, penetrates fatty outer skin and mark with ultra violet dye. They contain CS called by U.S. Army scientists “Super Tear Gas” and OC recognized by the Federal Agents as an effective inflammatory agent making Freeze + P the strongest, most effective agent available to non-military users. 2 Ounces 4 Ounces

Height 3 7/8in (100mm) 6 1/4in (160mm)

Diameter 1 3/8in (34mm) 1 1/2in (37mm)

NET Contents 59.8 grams 126 grams

Gross Weight 85 grams 175 grams

So is it Illegal to have pepper spray in MI?

PDATE TO MI PEPPER SPRAY LAW: As of December 2010, MI state now allows pepper spray products up to 10% OC (previouly only allowed 2%). Canister size is still restricted to (35grams approx. 1.2oz).

In Michigan, the only defense spray that is legal is a type of tear gas known as CS, so pepper spray itself is illegal. Canisters of CS may not contain anything above 35 grams of the spray, and they are not allowed to be made up of more than 2% of the active ingredient Oleoresin Capsicum (OC). This law is in place to ensure that people do not take advantage of their self defense weapon and use it for any other purpose than their own protection.

FROM ALL I SEE HE IS CLEARLY NOT OUT OF BOUNDS OF HIS LEGAL RIGHTS OF THIS FREEZE SPRAY SINCE THE SIMPLE RESEARCH I DID SHOWS THAT THE FREEZE PLUS P ONLY HAS 1% OC AND 1%CS AND MICHIGAN LAW SAYS PRODUCT UP TO 10%OC ARE ALLOWABLE.. THIS POOR MAN SEEMS TO BE GETTING SCREWED AND THEY SEE FIT TO USE HIS "DISABILITY" OF COMMON SENSE TO THEIR ADVANTAGE-- HES TELLING THE TRUTH ON HE DIDNT KNOW THOSE PARTICULAR ITEMS WERE ILLEGAL CUZ I JUST PROVED ON MY OWN THAT CARRYING THIS FREEZE PLUS P ISNT ILLEGAL (I wonder what size he had tho they only allow what is it 35grams and its sold in 59 STILL its pathetic).. I wish i could be at his hearing to see his story front lines... Dam i wish i had gone to law school.. sigh....

Shiningheart- You sound like you know this gentleman. Does he not have family or friends to force him to get the help he needs. Obviously if he is "childlike" in his thoughts, he should have a guardian??

I personally would want this man off the streets in this situation!! Can we really fault L.E.O for actually doing there job? Protecting citizens is in their job description. I can honestly say I would not feel safe with some man dressed in a superhero costume swinging down a building with pepper spray, whether his intents were childlike or not! Not to mention the harm he is placing himself in.

Crazy people do crazy things, childlike in thoughts or not.

I agree, he needs some serious psychological help. Truly though, without cops becoming involved, if there aren't family members stepping up to the plate...who is going to help? Surely not his sidekick Robin!!

If so many in Petoskey have seen this man do such "childlike" things unsupervised, did they expect someone would not become alarmed and call police? It reports that they have had run ins with him before, what was their resolution in those cases?? Did they make him get some counseling and then allow him to further endanger himself and others??

People with this mentality often do not respond well in jail like circumstances, but state facilities are not much better to be honest. Try visiting one sometime, but please do not do so believing that all "mentally challenged" are childlike at heart though!!! They may seem childlike but many have the urges of adults and will act out in adult fashion, being childlike in their thinking, right from wrong is obviously a challenge!!

Perhaps being childlike, he might spray another "child" in playful behavior and cause some serious damage? When he hurts himself or another, then will it be the courts job to charge him with something more serious??

I do not think these charges will stick and wonder what is truly behind the motivation here? (perhaps charging him not to jail him, but to FORCE him to get help???)

The saddest part people neglect to see is it is apparent this poor man has issues.. mental issues. And thats not a laughing matter.. nor is it something this person should be thrown into prision over or fined as such with such harsh penalties.. I realize ignorance is no excuse for the law.. but when the police follow their own laws based upon ignorance its sad they contradict themselves yet we suffer besides with all the bullcrap laws and the thousands of laws and such out there how can one keep it all straight / know them all and avoid it all..get real then you add in a person with clear mental issues and what a combo.. This man should get counseling, there has to be a reason behind him no person in thier right real mind would dangle off a roof or building without the proper equipment etc.. Hes done this before... this clearly means this man needs help. not shoved in a cell to rot.. Cmon now.. Yeah we all laugh our butts off.. even I did.. But the other side of me is saying hey listen.. Hes childlike in actions and thoughts.. its an illness..maybe this is his way of getting attention-his way of reaching out..we all do in various ways for we all see things differently.

... Im sure if they took the time and effort to send him to proper professionals he may be able to be helped.. And hell i never knew carrying a baton was illegal.. hmmmm dont the cops carry the very same as well??? ... Illegal BAH! anyhoo.. there is more to this then meets the eye... Just another victim of this crappy life and system.. and hells bells we need a super hero these days.. is he really to far from the truth?.. maybe in his own mind he wanted to do something right.. play the part and feel part of the bigger picture since most of us are so oppressed there is essentially no way out.. ill put on a cat woman suit and join him! Best to him i hope he can find someone to care enough to look deeper and help him! :growl:

Thank you dear.

My sentiments also.

Although the visual may make us laugh initially,

the truth is this man needs help not prison.

I'll put on my Sheena Queen of the Jungle outfit

to match your Cat Woman :P

Sheena.jpg

Shiningheart- You sound like you know this gentleman. Does he not have family or friends to force him to get the help he needs. Obviously if he is "childlike" in his thoughts, he should have a guardian??

I personally would want this man off the streets in this situation!! Can we really fault L.E.O for actually doing there job? Protecting citizens is in their job description. I can honestly say I would not feel safe with some man dressed in a superhero costume swinging down a building with pepper spray, whether his intents were childlike or not! Not to mention the harm he is placing himself in.

Crazy people do crazy things, childlike in thoughts or not.

I agree, he needs some serious psychological help. Truly though, without cops becoming involved, if there aren't family members stepping up to the plate...who is going to help? Surely not his sidekick Robin!!

If so many in Petoskey have seen this man do such "childlike" things unsupervised, did they expect someone would not become alarmed and call police? It reports that they have had run ins with him before, what was their resolution in those cases?? Did they make him get some counseling and then allow him to further endanger himself and others??

People with this mentality often do not respond well in jail like circumstances, but state facilities are not much better to be honest. Try visiting one sometime, but please do not do so believing that all "mentally challenged" are childlike at heart though!!! They may seem childlike but many have the urges of adults and will act out in adult fashion, being childlike in their thinking, right from wrong is obviously a challenge!!

Perhaps being childlike, he might spray another "child" in playful behavior and cause some serious damage? When he hurts himself or another, then will it be the courts job to charge him with something more serious??

I do not think these charges will stick and wonder what is truly behind the motivation here? (perhaps charging him not to jail him, but to FORCE him to get help???)

Love you are entitled to your opinion - tho i do not entirely agree with yours as you do not entirely agree or understand mine.. Not everyone is blessed with family willing to help mental patients.. back in the day if a child or person had mental issues they were stuffed in cellars or attics, beaten, abused, starved, killed, put into institutes (oh yes by the way a secret of mine that ive held close for too long since most are closed minded enough to judge when someone openly admits to it - but YES ive been in an institute - not for yrs but you have no idea what i did see, hear and feel sincere compassion for and it was a modern one.. not the evil ones of the past.. and even then the hells not only the patients had to deal with upon their own illness but what the staff put them thru i agree many cannot understand.) I never once said let the man do this.. yes get him off the streets.. my issue and beliefs are - read past the stereotypes and general population beliefs and look at the red flags.. this country has never been one to kindly see or recognize mental illness of any form let alone tolerate and properly treat its patients. There are many red flags.. no i do not know him personally but ive known people like him. And contrary to the general populations beliefs I find this saddening they are more willing to wrack up fine upon fine on this man, as well as TIME in a cell then to really HELP him to be a citizen.. Just more proof of the closed minded society we live in and allow today.. Why not lock up a person whose raped a child, nope sexual offenders live in suburbs work in schools, cmon there is much more to worry about then some poor man wearing a super hero suit hoping to be something this world has not allowed anyone let alone himself to be.. himself ... Whether you percieve it that way or not. Thats what makes each of us different - how we see and percieve things.. My point bottom line.. take away his "illegal" weapons smack his butt a few times get him PROPER HELP and help him to not allow this to happen again since he is habitual (another red flag) .. there are alternatives then a cell.. A cell and felonies and hundreds of dollars in fines or thousands isnt going to help them it only helps the state :notfair:

I respect your opinion.....more than I guess I conveyed! I understand where you are coming from. My point was only that the man is a repeat offender and is still "offending". We have no clue how many other times they have "let him off" easy, only to have him continue to possibly be a threat to society. Do we have any clue what those other charges were, nah? They may/may not say much for his character either way. He could very well be that child rapist you speak of or a very misguided person that truly needs help! Who are we to make that distinction? Who's job is it to indeed make that distinction if he has no family??

I suppose life circumstance is going to dictate some of ones opinions, as that is indeed how opinions are formed :) Our experiences with this obviously differ and to be honest I have not been on the end that you have. I can tell you, for a short time, I did some "research work" with "criminally insane" individuals and I would NEVER choose to do that again. I will not get into details here, but if you are ever interested, I have assisted in the writings of a few research documents on the subject! (my opinions on the subject are NOT included in the research....lol)

I suppose I did not convey the complete rationale behind my thoughts and I was speaking in general terms all could possibly understand.

I suppose if the gentleman is actually mentally ill, the subject is of mute point on imprisonment anyhow.

If a person can not comprehend their crime due to mental incapacity, truly they are not fit to stand on the charges anyhow.

"A person is not responsible for criminal conduct if at the time of such conduct as a result of mental disease or defect he lacks substantial capacity either to appreciate the criminality of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of the law."

OR:

Michigan was one of the first states to accept GBMI-Guilty But Mentally Ill

This results in a lesser conviction while the insanity defense pleads for a not guilty verdict in exchange for an indeterminate amount of time in a mental institution. Defendants with an indisputable diagnosed psychiatric mental illness determined as sane by the court's standards, are held responsible for their crimes under a Guilty but Mentally Ill or a Guilty but Insane verdict.

If you have interest in the law, mentally ill and society, you might check out one or more of the following books/writings. They were invaluable tools within my research!! I think I own them all and reference them in many different projects.

Asylums: Essays on the Social Situation of Mental Patients and Other Inmates BY: Erving Goffman

Madness and Civilization A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason BY: Michel Foucault

The Discovery of the Asylum New Lines In Criminology BY David Rothman

By no means was I suggesting all mentally ill people commit crimes, nor that this man would indeed be better off in prison vs. receiving help. I was simply stating "the other side" in respect to criminal behavior being carried out by this individual. I do not always agree that confining a mentally ill person is neccessary, but with repeat offenses, what is left to do?? (Taking in consideration I do not know the nature of previous offenses and am concluding there have been others that did not go so far. (the "crow" incident that is referenced) I am assuming this person had to have stood trial previously to be concluded a "Habitual Offender", meaning he either had a really poor lawyer each time he has been charged or he knew what he was doing when he perpetrated the crimes....

I believe in rehabilitating anyone that has the power to reason, but is there always "rehabilitation" in the case of someone who is indeed "criminally insane"? I do not believe so. But indeed this may not be this gentlemans case, who are we to know.

I have no reason to argue any points as there are so many variables in this case that unless we knew them all......

Beyond that I don't even disagree with most of what you concluded yourself :)

Have a great evening and seriously, if you have an interest in such things and find the time, check out those books. The last one is probably the most "user friendly".

This is the guy that used to dress up like the CROW when I lived in Petoskey...in fact I banged his gf Debbie...hey debbie if your reading this

IDK if he was mentally ill but he def did seem a lil unstable at the time, idk if he was medicated but he will be now

He was always the attention grabber than and seems that is why he did this

But he should have left the dangerous weapons at home cause as PS knows the emmett cty good ole boys club do not fukz around he could literally be getting azz banged in prison for this stupid stunt

thx 4 the info ng

Thank you dear.

My sentiments also.

Although the visual may make us laugh initially,

the truth is this man needs help not prison.

I'll put on my Sheena Queen of the Jungle outfit

to match your Cat Woman :P

Sheena.jpg

The two of you reveal yourselves, and I appreciate it. This guys mind is not at rest. Let's hope he finds some peace. I just want to see you two in the catwoman and sheena outfits!:devil:

Archived