The Rally Has It's Detractors

Is a protest the best way to demonstrate?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next event be

• A Tar and Feathering
    • A Protest Rally
    • A Meet and Greet
    • A Picnic
    • A Concert or Show
    • A Town Hall
    • Other (describe in your comments)

I think we're doing the best we can with what we have. We've done so many things, from writing, calling, doing testimonials, everything helps. Let's remember what we did right, and keep the negatives in their place. OK things could've been better but they could've been worse. I think there has to be a balance in how things are done. As far as perception goes, we want the public to see we are just regular folks like them. It wouldn't hurt to have more professional people in suits there, especially if they are patients or caregivers, the public also needs to see they are affected, too. That alone can help offset the preconcieved notion that we're all irresponsible hippie pothead bums. The point about the tie was very good. I knew people who were very talented and good at their job but the way they dressed often put their customers off. No one could say a word to sway the person and make them realize they needed to improve the way they dressed when in a business situation. As much as I respected them, I knew they were hurting their careers. Being mindful of appearance and the words we choose will help our image a LOT. I really wanted to speak, but my fear held me back. If I spoke I hope somehow I would've hidden my face. I wanted to do a testimonial, too but was too afraid. If I could've hidden my face I would've done it but I hope one day to overcome that fear.

No medicating in public, PLEASE- and if someone wants to give something away please do it privately. It's wonderful there are people who are kind and generous to do such a compassionate thing. Remember where we are and who we're appealing to. We should always remember the affect we will have on others, the impression we give. That's why I'm usually very careful of what I say on these public forums. We don't know who's reading all this and I hope we haven't damaged our credibility with such posts. So I want to remind our guests that THIS IS MEDICINE. I've also been saying to this community to please remember that not all who voted for our law has anything to do with Mj, but they believed in our right to choose what we feel is the best medicine for us..

Sincerely, Sb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with much love sb i say this... we have done nowhere near enough yet to save our law, they are writing bills as we speak to take our legal rights away. Our next rally has to be big, pull no punches... we have to be heard!

hugs sb.

Q-tipper you are right, so sad to have to admit. We did accomplished something but still have a long way to go. I hope we can say, if we lose, that we did our best.

Sb

Here is another take on the idea that we seem to be living in a real POLICE STATE !!!

This is Karl Deninger who runs themarketticker.com with some thoughts which are very close to some who have posted earlier.

Check it out !!!

"As we grill up some burgers, ribs or chicken, downing that proverbial six pack in remembrance of those who have given their lives for our Republic, perhaps we should take stock of what our alleged Republic has become.

Do we have a free country in any meaningful fashion?

Our forefathers primarily went to war with Britain over two issues: Taxation Without Representation and Writs of Assistance. While we're at it we'll add Equal Protection Under The Law.

The former everyone understands: The extraction of taxes from the people without any right to direct where the funds go.

How are we doing today?

Some half of the population pays no Federal Tax. They receive funds, net-net. Since it is now quite possible to "vote for a living", that's exactly what has happened. But this means that for each and every person who pays taxes on net, you no longer have representation.

How about the latter?

Well, we have the following:

Searches on I-40 in Tennessee; these have been clearly identified (and admitted!) through media investigation to be effectively stopping drivers for profit. Where's the probable cause to search a traffic stop's vehicle for money and then declare it "drug proceeds" simply due to which direction the vehicle is traveling on I-40? In this case the police aren't even bothering with the formality of getting the Writ of Assistance - they're simply stealing the funds.

Kicking down doors in Kentucky. Yes, the cops were chasing a person who allegedly sold crack cocaine. But we're then supposed to believe that seconds after this person ran into one of two apartments - being actively chased by the police - the suspect lit up a joint? (The rationale for the cops kicking down the door was that they smelled marijuana, and upon knocking heard "movement" and believed the occupants might be "destroying evidence.") That conviction was upheld in the United States Supreme Court - even though the person they were looking for wasn't in the apartment.

Arresting a man for refusing entry to his apartment when no evidence of a crime was present and no probable cause existed. When the cops barged in anyway, he used only the amount of force necessary to prevent the unlawful entry. This event not only was upheld as "lawful" but the State Supreme Court (Indiana) ruled that you have no right to resist an unlawful entry as you can appeal to the courts. How well does that work when you've been shot dead during that unlawful entry?

Think people being shot dead - some entirely innocent - doesn't happen? Oh really eh? Talk to the dead young girl in Detroit. Or to the dead former servicemember in Arizona. Or the deaf woodcarver in Seattle. Or the hundreds of others. In some cases was the person being sought inside? Yes. Was in some cases the person guilty of an offense? Yes. In how many cases have the circumstances justified summary execution? More to the point, in how many of these cases was this sort of violent entry justified? There's only one good excuse for that: If the person being sought has taken hostages. Otherwise good old-fashioned police work dictates that it's far more likely for the police to effectuate their lawful arrest by waiting for the subject to depart his residence and arrest him outside (where he's alone, cannot barricade himself, and cannot easily be in possession of anything more powerful than a handgun - which he has to be carrying concealed.) The use of military tactics must be reserved for those cases where imminent harm to innocent people is likely to occur. (If you think the suspect is going to flush evidence shut off the water to his house!)

The Patriot Act. 4th Amendment? Where? And more to the point, show me where it's necessary. You can do that by documenting how it would have stopped 9/11 when we had every ability to do so as the hijackers were reported to the FBI in plenty of time to prevent the attack. Government malfeasance and misfeasance is never justification for new laws. Ever. Malfeasance and misfeasance must result in firings, not new legislation. Never mind that un-uniformed non-citizen combatants have no "Constitutional Rights" to abridge as the International Laws of War allow you to shoot such a person when caught as a spy. If there's actual evidence of criminal wrongdoing such as plotting an actual terrorist attack what's the problem with getting an ordinary warrant for your activities as a law enforcement agency?

The increasingly secretive - and militarized - police forces. Throughout the land there are initiatives being pushed to prevent you, the average citizen, from video or audio-taping your encounters with law enforcement. Why? This, at the same time that we are treated to literal cameras on every corner, cameras in every cop car (scanning license plates in real-time in many cases!) and more. What's wrong with a nice, robust right of review of the acts of our "law enforcement" community? Exactly how many dogs have we seen video evidence of being shot execution-style when they have displayed no aggressive behavior at all? Or how about the known fact that police can and do lie to cover up their own acts of malfeasance? This is not a bald assertion; The Federal Government has in fact argued that it has the right to lie in sworn proceedings before the courts! (Islamic Sura Council .v. FBI) In that case the government's declared right to lie was rebuked - but no punishment was meted out, nor has it been in other, similar cases.

As for Equal Protection, may I ask where? Many forms of "special status" are in fact ensconced within the law. Others are notable by their absence. For example:

It is "more illegal" to assault (or worse) a police officer, a federal official, or certain minorities than it is other people. Predicated on..... exactly what? If we have equal protection under the law, why is it more of an offense to assault someone if they're black than white, a cop than an office janitor? Either the offense is worthy of punishment or it is not. Equal protection means what it says.

Congress can (and does) trade on inside information. I have often written on this topic. But if you do the same thing, you go to prison. It must be nice to know what the outcome will be of some Congressional action and trade in the markets on that information entirely legally and yet if you're a common person and get inside information and trade on it you go to prison. Being a Congressperson isn't just about making laws. It's also about personally profiting from the laws you make. Isn't that effectively identical to what "Kings" and "Barons" were all about?

It's illegal to rob someone through deception and you can go to prison for many years. How is it that the words "stable prices", which are defined as the Federal Reserve's mandate, are turned into "2% inflation" which serially robs you of half of your wealth within a working man's life and yet nobody goes to prison for doing it? Just as damning, the FDIC's "Prompt Corrective Action" law contains so many "shalls" that it's difficult to count them, all of which (if complied with) prevent any depositor fund losses. Yet we have seen dozens of bank failures and in virtually every case PCA was ignored - with no punishment - and the losses have run to the billions. You'd go to prison for that sort of intentional malfeasance. Have government officials even lost their jobs, say much less faced indictment? Nope.

So as we say "Thank you" to those patriots, past and present, who have risked all, and those who have given all for our way of life in America, let us at the same time consider what it is that we have left of the founders' principles - and whether we, as a body politic and members of the armed forces, will sit for these willful and intentional acts of destruction of our Constitution, or whether we will instead use that time before the grill and while performing our 12oz curls to formulate peaceful yet forceful insistence that these, and other, violations of that Constitution be remedied.

Dr. Jinx

I often wonder if we're better or worse off than we were a few years ago, or before 911, or some time period to measure any progress or backsliding. I don't feel any safer than I did after the attacks. I think they were allowed to happen so it'd be an excuse to strengthen that police state and keep us in their chokehold of control. Too many insecure, cowardly, bullies who can't control their own lives, yet feel secure in controlling others, believing that is self empowerment. NOT! I think they're all mentally ill and any one of us could do a far better job. For starters, even I can balance a budget! If we lived beyond our means and were as fiscally irresponsible like they are, we'd be bankrupt and in jail, then we'd be homeless! It's amazing what people get away with, obstructing justice and abusing their authority. Our dear Tarzan describes himself as mentally ill, but I can tell you this, I think he is far saner than most of the people running this country. First of all, he has the ONE THING they lack- COMPASSION! IF he or any of us are mentally ill, it's because of the constant ABUSE we endure! Oh don't get me started on that! Abuse causes such scars that never completely heal. With all my emotional frailties, even I could do better than most of the idiots in power! The only reason they ARE in power is because they CHEATED TO GET THERE! THEY CAN'T PLAY FAIR, THEY know THEY COULD NEVER GAIN POWER THAT WAY, SO THEY HAD TO SEIZE IT any way they can, through fear, intimidation, unfair amounts of contributions, secrecy, etc.. When we're children, we're taught to play fair, to share, and be nice. If they can't play by the rules, they can't be making up their own as they go along, expect US to know them, and have unwritten rules we're also expected to know. They must abide by the same laws. They can't use ignorance as an excuse if WE can't. If they can't play fair, they need to GET OUT! They think they're better than us, THAT'S WHY they do these things! Delusional, sick, miserable beings that enjoy preying on the weak! If THAT ain't mental illness, I don't know what is! It's like playing a game where the rules keep changing according to the bully's wishes, to gain the advantage, an UNFAIR advantage. They say lying, cheating and stealing is a sin, yet THEY are immune from punishment- I doubt it. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and karma has a nasty way of sneaking up on us and just when we least expect it, POW! They've had their way for far too long. I've said most of this before, if not all of it.

For quite awhile I've heard people say we were living in a police state. Never in my wildest dreams could I have EVER imagined I'd be living in such a cruel world. I wish I could get my book published, it tells the story of a hopeful child who was already severely depressed by age 7, who's hope was stripped away by uncaring, miserable beings who believed they were within their rights to abuse me. I'm not the only one but that's NO comfort! It should NEVER hurt to be a child! It breaks my heart to know of the trauma children are being subjected to in a society that claims to treasure its children. A police state is no place to raise children.

Teach your children well, or they'll vote you out of office.

Sincerely, Sb :(

I think a meet and greet with legislators is the way to go. Try a little soft shoe, make it less adversarial. I am sincerely interested in how many of them have formed their opinions about MMJ, because often it is a case of them repeating propaganda.

They need us (our votes) more than we need them, because let's face it...many of us medicated illegally in the past and never got anywhere near being "caught". If we have to, we can go back to that. And our votes will go to their opponents. ;-)

I think a meet and greet with legislators is the way to go. Try a little soft shoe, make it less adversarial. I am sincerely interested in how many of them have formed their opinions about MMJ, because often it is a case of them repeating propaganda.

They need us (our votes) more than we need them, because let's face it...many of us medicated illegally in the past and never got anywhere near being "caught". If we have to, we can go back to that. And our votes will go to their opponents. ;-)

Great idea - and its easy to start small - start with your city council members!!!!

Do dress nice, do watch your language (smart people can find better words to express themselves), and carry FACTS with you.

-DN

Money and political influence.

We don't have a great deal of money but if we can show in the 2012 elections that we can influence just who gets elected and who does NOT we stand a much better chance of reversing whatever changes 'Lansing' might make to the MMM Act AND in doing what we can in keeping our 'law' as it is.

Until we as a 'community' can show that we can 'change' elections we can shout from the roof tops, but we may only be heard by those that already HAVE the 'message'.

IMHO our strategy should be to show we have 'political' power through our 'votes' and our 'tactics' should include having our 'voices' heard as 'strategically' needed AND to at times 'calmly and patiently' present our 'message' to those 'pols and others' that might see themselves as TOO dignified to have their 'opinions' changed by what THEY may perceive as 'force' and intimidation.

And IMHO we should remember, at times, 'politics makes strange bed fellows'.

We may not always like the people we have to work with to get something accomplished, but it may come down to a choice of the 'lessor of two evils'.

JM2CW

The point I've been making since April is that we need to make it our business that every card holder gets 10 signed up this year to get us to 500,000 in the next 1 to 2 years. That is more powerful in Lansing than any rally, protest, or speech. Not a matter of sending them to me, I am just one of the 55 docs that does this 'for a living' as opposed to a hobby. We also need to talk to the 28,000 out of 30,000 doctors in this state that have never written EVEN ONE certification. If you meet with 'we don't do that here' encourage them to refer their patients to someone that DOES and is a professional.

The future of this movement (and of a cardholder on your jury) is in your hands. Get your friends off the fence, teach them what to look for in a certification clinic (beyond 'how much do you charge, and can I get a cert without records?'). Records, meet the physician and discuss, then have a follow up to see how it is working. In short, start demanding standards. If you have cancer, you question should be cure rates, not price.

Dr. Bob

I wrote a white paper for a community, sent it in to a couple of folks here, was hoping to get some feedback. I am wondering if I should just publish it instead. Also had some ideas on collectives, but I am getting out of my field.

Dr. Bob

IMPLANTATION! They claim the law is broken but they NEVER GAVE IT A CHANCE! That's why I said, "Give this law a chance," in my last song. I'll sing it far and wide. I'd love to meet with my reps, but I need some coaching on doing it. I think a good face to face, eye to eye meeting would be a way to "plant a seed," so to speak, to let them see WHO we are on a one-to-one basis. Perhaps the "meet and greet" idea should be our next step. Rallies have their place, but let's not depend totally on them. I'm glad we're having the letter writing and phone calls- everything we can do will help. We DO need the numbers, I totally agree. Once I called a rep about SB17 but to my embarrassment I called the wrong rep! I think I called a federal rep instead of a state rep! Oops! :blush: But I was proud of myself, though it was just an assistant I spoke with, I was calm, polite, diplomatic, respectful, and spoke the facts. I did apologize for getting the wrong rep, too. What amazed me was I remembered exactly what to say. So that was a practice run. I'd make more calls when I can get focused enough, get my script in order. Seriously I would like to get more involved and speak with them in person so I guess I'll have to move closer to Lansing.

On a side note I did see someone in costume at the rally and/or the Loft, I thought it was Paul Revere! If I weren't so tired and focused on other things I would've talked to him to find out what was going on with that, it was interesting to see. I didn't know who it was, didn't know it was someone from the Libertarian group, it may've been mentioned on here that they were planning to do that but I totally forgot! I had so much on my mind and was so sore and tired, felt bad for being unable to stay long at the rally so I went to the Loft, where I remember seeing him, I may've seen one of them at the rally but I don't remember, (think I'd remember that!) 'lol- but my arms were so sore from holding my things, even though some kind people helped me; I stood there as long as I could and if I had put my boots on, and had some tarp to wrap my things in, I would've stayed for the entire rally. Thanks again to Chad for rescuing me, and thanks again to all those who helped me.

So, perhaps a "meet and greet" would be a positive next step, and a get together for us afterwards. When I go someplace I wanna make the whole day worthwhile, especially for traveling such a long distance. I'm Proud I was able to stand with you all, even though it was only for about a half hour. :)

Sb :wub:

The point I've been making since April is that we need to make it our business that every card holder gets 10 signed up this year to get us to 500,000 in the next 1 to 2 years. That is more powerful in Lansing than any rally, protest, or speech. Not a matter of sending them to me, I am just one of the 55 docs that does this 'for a living' as opposed to a hobby. We also need to talk to the 28,000 out of 30,000 doctors in this state that have never written EVEN ONE certification. If you meet with 'we don't do that here' encourage them to refer their patients to someone that DOES and is a professional.

The future of this movement (and of a cardholder on your jury) is in your hands. Get your friends off the fence, teach them what to look for in a certification clinic (beyond 'how much do you charge, and can I get a cert without records?'). Records, meet the physician and discuss, then have a follow up to see how it is working. In short, start demanding standards. If you have cancer, you question should be cure rates, not price.

Dr. Bob

And if we could get a large portion of those increased numbers to vote... our voices will be heard.

Brother, have you watched the video. We were pretty! We were all wearing our Sunday go to meeting clothes. I am going to be hooking up with lobbyist in the next week to talk about implementation. I am also raising money to sue for civil rights violations. The carrot and the hammer method. Thanks, bb

I was there my friend and you were most hansom as were others on stage. :D It is just a general comment that we could all use an improvement in image and dress is the first way to make that impression.

One other comment about the propane lobby. If we had their money this would be so easy. It is about the constant touch to keep our name the MMMA in their minds. No opportunity is wasted by the propane lobby. I bet every legislator gets a gift basket on his birthday. Christmas cards and easter cards heck I bet they get Valentine cards from the lobbyist. If lobbyist do lunches like the drug reps do they have food everyday. A personal hand written thank you note after any meeting we get is a must. Useful gifts like pens with the MMMA logo that gets used often to keep them thinking about us. We need to have it so when someone says MMMA the response is favorable because they know who we are and they like our lobbyist. That is how the game is played.

I like the idea of a lobby day and would take another day off to participate.

One other comment about the propane lobby. If we had their money this would be so easy. It is about the constant touch to keep our name the MMMA in their minds. No opportunity is wasted by the propane lobby. I bet every legislator gets a gift basket on his birthday. Christmas cards and easter cards heck I bet they get Valentine cards from the lobbyist. If lobbyist do lunches like the drug reps do they have food everyday. A personal hand written thank you note after any meeting we get is a must. Useful gifts like pens with the MMMA logo that gets used often to keep them thinking about us. We need to have it so when someone says MMMA the response is favorable because they know who we are and they like our lobbyist. That is how the game is played.

I like the idea of a lobby day and would take another day off to participate.

Great idea, 420 Athiest. wait, aren't we supposed to be just a bunch of vapid stoners with wildly idealistic flights of fancy? Nope, real ideas from intelligent people. Love it!

While this thread has generated some wonderful dialog, I think we strayed just a little off topic.

The question is; What is the best way to effectively communicate our message to legislators and the public?

Resources are scarce, we need to make wise choices.

Brad, i am so glad that you brought up this dialog. THIS is a beautiful intersection of Democracy with the Internet. don't see that often. i think one can be for full legalization, but really rally around Medical Marijuana. I don't think we have to either/or this. many or most (should we poll?) of us probably believe in some form of legalization anyway. But politics of today do not lend to nuanced and/or multi-faceted ideas. if you cannot put it into a soundbite or bumper sticker, you can't use it.

The next event should be the annual MMMA Farmers market, and it should run on the capitol lawn obviously.

I mean this is the type of thing to not only attract patients with providing a shopping mall of medicine directly from farmers but its kind of flashy and empowers patients rights.

Considering the MMMA stance on P2P, Farmers Markets and the caregiver system I think this would help focus the efforts.

And not to take it over the top but to take it over the top, if the "charge" to the caregiver was say 10,20,30 grams donated to patients you can promote it as FREE WEED, ALA the local radio stations FREE BEER FRIDAY.

Obviously weed is a questionable term to put promotion behind but its an aspect that is targeted towards a more mainstream audience.

IDK,just thinking aloud.

carry on.

T4gb

Overall it was a good rally, but I must agree that if we want to be taken seriously we have to comport ourselves in a serious and professional manner. The smoking that went on was totally inappropriate; it definitely caused our purpose to not be taken as seriously as it should be and I firmly believe it did hurt us a bit, as our law specifically states no public use. The swearing, well, freedom of speech and all is a good thing, but again seriousness was needed.

A few bombs here and there was one thing, but many F-bombs were not needed and did not make our points any stronger. I was definitely glad I had already given my medicine away before patients lit up; I noticed a LOT of LEO appeared soon after the smell of burning marihuana wafted through the crowd. I had 15 ounces, so I was legal, but I wouldn't have wanted LEO to see me open my briefcase in the beginning lol!

I think we should have an information rally. And in a few locations. Maybe 3 or 4, in key places of the state. Perhaps with speakers including a doctor, a lawyer, current or ex law enforcement, and a patient or two from every generation in each location if possible, willing to tell their story. Someone close to a patient, that has witnessed what cannabis can do. Make them winning stories, stories of renewed vigor-for-life through cannabis, etc.... Raid stories and CPS stories are needed, believe me I know. However, if the public doesn't realize that the raids and beatings and such are happening to grandparents and children and mothers and the ill, then I think they are just assuming those being raided and arrested are in the wrong, just the way opponents want it. So when we scream our profanity's from the steps, the parents are saying to their children "look Namelesschild, pot makes you rude and desperate." Desperate sometimes? maybe. Rude? Rarely.

My 35 year old cousin died from colon cancer Sunday night. RIP cuz. He was 35. Matt, despite several attempts to ease the hurting the last year or so, Matt was raised that drugs were, bad....and pot was drugs.

Fri, Sat, and Sunday Barbi and Jenny and I will be in Grand Rapids for the funeral and other meetings. I would love to meet any of you in the area that have an interest in networking, cannabis-information distribution, etc. I will also have some local meds and literature, and plan on visiting some shops. Let me know if you want to hang...

I tried to stay away for my own health's sake, but I can't. You all mean to much to my now, and my darn blackberry has so many alerts that if one of you has a doctor's apt my phone flashing...lol. The truth be told, we need you guys. I have been served literally 4 search warrants now, the most recent on the MDCH for all of my records and those of my patients. They have them all, to our dismay and those of my patients rights and privacy.

God Bless,

Rich

onguard.gif

Jesus Christ Scooter, They were probably sparking up the stuff you transferred to them on the steps in public. You and the rest of the heathen that broke the rules are going to the woodshed. If I would have seen either occur during the rally, I would have booted you and whoever else. I have spoken with the people who dropped the F bomb, but they are clearly protected under the First Amendment. What would have happened if they saw you transferring and moved into the crowd? People could have gotten hurt. Why didn't you wait until the after party? Thanks, bb

I legally transferred medicine to legal patients free of charge and did it VERY discreetly. I broke NO part of the law, and the people I gave it to were the VERY sick only; not one of them were part of the "smoke in" that occurred. Every one I transferred to was wheelchair bound and most were unable to medicate themselves without help they were so bad off. I made certain they were legal, and I have 5 registered patients;thus, I can have 15 ounces in my possession with no issues. The smokers at the rally were the younger college age patients, to whom I transferred nothing.

I have studied this law in-depth; 3 years ago I faced 5 felonies and my girlfriend faced 6 so my whole life depended on my knowledge of it(!), and I was the 34th member of this site and one of the original Moderators. I have my scars from the courts and have been in the courtroom with dozens of patients in their defense; I am a certified Paralegal and my momma didn't raise no fools.

I did what I did for the EXTREMELY sick; 7 were full-blown AIDS patients, over a dozen were end stage cancer patients, there were numerous long term Glaucoma sufferers, many were second stage pancreatic, throat, and melanoma sufferers and one gentlemen had severe brain damage issues. These patients were asked by me to be discreet and take it home; I transferred 15 ounces in 7 gram containers ( one per patient ) at the bottom of the steps and was discreet enough that you and almost no one else noticed :).

I drove 3 1/2 hours, soaked the only tailored suit I have, and gave away thousands worth of medicine along with every informational document I had ( I drained my printers ( both of them! ) dry printing them, and most were from the MMMA ). I couldn't make the party; I'm a single father and had to get home before my daughter got off the bus. I would have done as you stated had I could. But again, I was VERY VERY discreet and selective as to whom I helped, and I made certain that legality was upheld. And I do appreciate your honesty, but again, if what I was doing was illegal that would be one thing. To see it otherwise would be seeing it as a "wrong", which it was not.

Archived