The Rally Has It's Detractors

Is a protest the best way to demonstrate?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next event be

• A Tar and Feathering
    • A Protest Rally
    • A Meet and Greet
    • A Picnic
    • A Concert or Show
    • A Town Hall
    • Other (describe in your comments)

Like everyone that chimes in on these boards, I thought the rally was a huge success. Over 500 people showed up and demonstrated proudly, even when mother nature tried to dampen our spirits. The patient testimonials, for the most part, were moving and illustrated the need for medical marijuana. The signs were on message, we stood united on the steps of the Capital, it was moving and I was very excited to be exercising my right to peacefully demonstrate at the state Capital building. How could this event not be a huge success for us?

I spent the next couple days in Ann Arbor and Detroit and had the opportunity to talk with many advocates and a few said they thought the rally was a disaster for medical cannabis. I was certainly shocked to hear this and asked why, and wondered if we were even talking about the same event?

Now I respect the people who expressed the negative comments to me, and they have caused me to reassess what “successful” really means. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not quite ready to back away from my original thinking, but their comments did make sense, and as my peers their thoughts were worthy of consideration. This is what they told me.

The chief complaint was that this appeared to be a legalization protest rally. I countered with, “what about our great signs and patient speakers”? It was pointed out to me that the Propane Industry was also rallying on the other side of the building, I said I saw them. They had no protest signs. They threw a BBQ to entice representatives to come down and have a pork sandwich and a Dr. Pepper where propane advocates could build bridges with legislators and discuss their concerns. I was asked if any legislators appeared at our event and I said I wasn’t sure but I don’t believe any did.

Other legitimate complaints were that people were smoking cannabis in public (supporting the notion of a legalization rally), and the use of foul language by some of us. Even I admit it was good for the youts to see democracy in action, but the smell of cannabis and F-bombs exploding were totally inappropriate. These youts came from across the state to be inspired by seeing government in action, not for a crash course in adult bad manners. One person even suggested we lost a valuable opportunity to teach young people about medical cannabis. I disagreed stating that was not the mission of this event, but was reminded that we should seize every opportunity to share our message in a polite and unoffending way, especially to the children.

So that’s what some other advocates think. Has it changed my mind about the rally, do I think it was a disaster? Of course not, but I do believe that we had a couple faux-pas, and that protesting may not be an effective way to deliver our message to legislators and the public.

I also believe that we must evolve the way we communicate our message and the image we project to the public. The Propane people looked friendly and inviting, their pork sandwiches smelled and probably tasted fantastic, and I bet they actually got to tell several legislators why they were having a BBQ on the front lawn. Their attitude was humble and projected a positive image that legislators could easily embrace. I believe our movement would fare far better by adopting a policy of positive imaging and moving away from the angry-protest model we have relied on for the past twenty years. It’s clearly time to change tactics if we hope to change the results!

Disagreements and in-fighting between individuals and groups are expected in a population as diverse and individualistic as our medical cannabis community, but all differences must be hashed-out in private so that a unified, positive message is echoed by all community members.

Our messages must be perceived by the public as rational and legitimate for the wheels of change to start turning. Only when we convince our elected officials that we are able to generate broad public support for our positions (because we delivered the right messages), will we be in a position to influence any changes to our law. Until that happens, all we can do is react to changes proposed by those who rely on the contributions and votes of the well-organized law enforcement community.

Most importantly, we need the professionals in our industry, the attorneys and physicians, to become more engaged in proactive lobbying efforts because they do not project the “typical stoner” image, and can be effective at educating legislators. I understand that most are already working long hours and doling-out freebies to those who can’t afford to pay for their services, but now we also need them to devote one day each month to contacting public officials and legislators. This would instantly provide our community with what, at least 30 effective lobbyists at no additional cost to patients and caregivers.

We live in a time when image is still everything and right now we are still perceived as “the stoner crowd” by the general public, our elected officials and law enforcement. If we hope to preserve or expand our medical cannabis protections, we must start by changing how we are perceived by these people. When we begin to deliver our message in a way that’s not offensive to people, but makes them feel compation for our cause, then we will make an impact on our legislators. I believe the Lansing Rally was certainly a step in that direction, and I hope we use it as the learning experience it was.

POST EDIT: POLL CLOSED TO PUBLIC VIEW

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the first point: Are propane users being arrested? Need I say more?

The second point is the better one. I mean I think a number of people probably needed to medicate for their condition so I have no problem with that whatsoever. Our tactics could be better is what I mean. Chanting gets you heard but maybe not listened to.

Thanks Brad for your input am not a great poster here but i think some story's were not told i sure wish we could have told ares and i do tell it every day to the people that want to listen am just not good at telling it inn front of a lot of people

the MMMA has not had a lot of protest so lets hope if we do have to have another one we will get better at it but i do understand what you are saying i thank the MMMA Lawyer Mike K and the people here that came we just need a little push from people like you to get the ball rolling am just not sure if we can stop what has already happen to are Law

Thanks again for posting here

Peace From The Front

Bob

i will vote latter i need to think about it

Thanks Bob...

That's all I intended with this post was to provoke thought. I know we are smarter then our opponents, we just need to straighten our thinking-caps a little and get-r-done!

Guest thequietone

I did notice a couple of representatives stopped and listened for a minute as they were walking in. They didn't stay long, but they did stop. I also heard one respond to someone shouting from the crowd about how they don't listen, his comment was "yes we do". I up and said "prove it" and I noticed he did stop and listened also.

I didn't see anyone medicating at the capital, but if someone was they should have known to wait till they got to the loft. I know I stopped there and medicated before going to the capital because it is hard for me to sit in a vehicle for long rides. If anyone needed to medicate they should have done so before going to the capital.

I would hope we are there for our rights,not to protect the plant, to me it's always about our rights and freedom to self-determination and right to exist for our own sake , period . The details , the plant in this case , are secondary. If you preserve your rights you won't have to worry about the plant.If I have my freedom of thought ,body and deed no one will care what I do with a plant. On this principle I would hope we can all agree. May this be our common ground , Leave me alone". Peace.

I think Brad made some good points and we should keep them in mind. Our message is better expressed with education than with anger and emotion.

As a side note, my mother was there- you can't get any more mainstream than she is. She is a retired English teacher, and knows many ways to express herself and in her 70+ years has used many of them. Her comment after the rally was she was beginning to believe we are living in a police state. I thought the rally was supposed to be about patient rights to choose their own care and be free of fear for making the choice to use cannabis. Our goal was to foster communication with the capital.

Thank you BB for all the work you and others put into this rally. The weather didn't cooperate, but unlike the rain we control our message and perception.

Dr. Bob

Deferring to a group of lobbyists seems a little elitist. The "stoner crowd" votes-for the most part. We need all the people we can get.

If people want to lobby that would help. Demontrations and letters help. It all helps. We need to hit them on all fronts.

I honestly think we are a majority. We are in a police state. Lets let them have all the stress, anxiety and heart attacks.

how about the lady that worked at the capitol building that attacked my girlfriend,myself and a few other people with her umbrella.

we were standing by the steps and this lady comes by us, we step back and she starts beating her umbrella on ours and the other people to get us to move!

i yell "excuse me works better" and she just kept going!

I thought it was a good rally, sure the swears ,F-bombs, were a little much and i thought i smelt that smell too.

doing something is better then not doing anything, so in that it was a good rally.

they take this away from us what ya's gunna do? say oh well that was fun while it lasted! fight now and fight hard people!

dont back down!

I didn't smell anything; I have mixed emotions about what I did see. If people were medicating, I think they should've done it out of sight. I really and truly hate saying that, with all my heart, it hurts to even think it- honestly, because WE ARE LEGAL, but we have this image thing to fight and a positive image to protect, AND being in a public place ... 'nuff said about that. We are NOT a "stoner crowd." I'm so tired of being labeled that way, it doesn't matter what I did in my past, it doesn't matter if I wanna wear a peace sign at a party, as I was planning to do but didn't. In public I present myself differently, because unfortunately it does seem to be true that image is everything. That's why I couldn't make it in the music business, I don't have the looks, despite all my talent.

My emotions about this thread are all mixed up. Our anger is justified, but the diplomatic part of me says we can express that anger in a way that will be more receptive for others. Expressing anger is a tricky thing, we need to let them know we are angry and we have a right to be, but we also need to say it in a way that they'll be willing to hear. I know how badly anger can hurt, I know this as a healer, too. The most important point I can think of here is, it's not what is said, but how it's said. This point has fueled many arguments between me and others. It's a delicate balancing act that requires some work- being respectful, disciplined, assertive, refined, diplomatic, and effective. Someone in my family was an English major, I think I inherited a love of words. I never heard the expression "F bomb" till very recently from this site. Although it's understandable, I wouldn't use them at a public event. My heart aches for all the victims of the system. I could hear the crying in their voice, I could see it on their faces when I watched the video, though I have trouble watching them due to slow service, even when I had a higher speed I had trouble. Anyway, when I saw their faces, my heart was crushed. My heart goes out to all of you, that's why I stood there for as long as I could with you. I love you all so much and wish I could do more to help you.

I wish I could've talked with Dr. Bob's mom. Effective communication has been a pet peeve of mine for many years. Communication seems to be a lost art, especially the listening part. People don't know how to listen. Someone needs to teach that, among other things. People need to learn how to say what they mean and mean what they say. I'm no expert on this, nor am I judging anyone. This is a problem that originates from society's lack of caring. This community has more compassion in one person's little finger than all our politicians, judges, PA's, etc. put together.

I will be at the bbq and I will have a lot to say, I also plan on getting to meet more people and having some fun. I want to be on the Hospitality Committee and if I may, I'd like to stay on the other one I was invited to be on. It is an honor for me to be able to help this community.

Sincerely, Sb :wub::bighug:

The first patient was in tears. I wanted to give her a BIG HUG and take away all her pain and suffering. I wish it were that simple.

HEY BB, Thanks for all you do! You cracked me up when I tried to retrieve the paper that got away from you and you said you didn't need that part. LOL!

Sb:)

I know we need many things that are very costly but we have to do the best with what we have as a poor community. despite what we lack, we kicked some butt, which PROVES we CAN do something to make a difference, without professional this and that. I understand the point about that and other things, but I also understand the other points. We would've had live music if it weren't for the rain, I didn't stand in a thunderstorm with my guitar for nothing but it never let up and there was no dry place with enough room for me to play. I warned everyone it might rain, hoping there'd be preparations for it. I didn't wanna discourage people from coming but I wanted us to be prepared. Even if I had put my boots on, I had to protect my guitar, my speech, and my camera. My camera got slightly wet but is OK. We need to pool all our resources., not just money, but being as prepared as possible. I never did get any pictures, it was too rainy. On the way down I got one pic of the sky just before sunrise.

Sb

I've attended a lot of the protests that the cannabis community has put together over the past few years. Some of my peers wonder why I do it, bringing pretty much the same arguements to the table that Brad has heard recently. My answer is that I enjoy doing it, first and foremost. Secondary to that, I think that the patients need to be defended, as so many of them are physically unable to do this themselves.

Now I wonder tho, is this really our most effective way of communicating with these folks? I'm beginning to doubt that it is. I am developing ideas to increase our presence to the public in another way. I think that what is needed is for the public to meet the folks who have recieved benefits from cannabis therapies. I am working with a local television tech to get these stories into the news cycle, should have more news on this very soon.

Peace ... j.b.

Well I see the points from both sides,I personnally am taking the plant a seed aproach.The latest example of this is that my wife and I just got a new home so naturally all the parents,grand parents aunts and uncles made the trip out to see the new place and get the tour-now my wife said maybe I should tuck my plants in a closet so I dont offend any of the more conservative family,I debated it and decided I would show my card so they know im not breaking laws and it also generated many questions especially from the grand parents about if it really helps and how it helps which I was more then happy to tell them how it helps me and my condition.Mind you these are people that prob voted against the law in the first place but as I told them of the amount of narcotics I was able to break free from and to use what God gave us to help my symptoms as well as the dif methods example medibles which they had no idea alot of legal patients do not sit in a smoky room listening to pink floyd but use tintures etc to help them through the day they really seemed to have a dif attitude in the hour or so we spent disscussing the issue.My hope is the tell their friends and the stigma of pot is viewed in a dif light.My own family is very conservative but they have all known since day 1 and all accept it and respect that if it makes me feel better that it makes them feel better,they hated seeing me at my worse and I remember my mother asking how I was feeling and replying I feel like dying and I wish it would end-those days are gone now and I hope they dont ever come back but I wish I had the ability to relate on a personal level with these politicians and more so my strait laced family on the obvious change its made in my life.I can now be a good dad to my children and a husband to my wife and not feel on the verge of my demise so maybe non patients observings would be more impactful then patients...I dont know just my 2 cents.

squeeky wheel gets grease. but a wheel that is just making too much noise gets replaced and left behind.

its pretty simple really. PERCEPTION. its a POWERFULL adversary, or opponant. i missed this rally. but by all i have read and heard, first hand for folks that were in attendance, a small percentage did not fully think thru their reasoning for attending. sounds like a few were there to be more of a radical voice, which is not needed, and is actually hurtfull.

Brad, you are Spot on imo with your post. i ll take a moment to quote and add my thoughts in bold in response:

Like everyone that chimes in on these boards, I thought the rally was a huge success. Over 500 people showed up and demonstrated proudly, even when mother nature tried to dampen our spirits. The patient testimonials, for the most part, were moving and illustrated the need for medical marijuana. The signs were on message, we stood united on the steps of the Capital, it was moving and I was very excited to be exercising my right to peacefully demonstrate at the state Capital building. How could this event not be a huge success for us?

I spent the next couple days in Ann Arbor and Detroit and had the opportunity to talk with many advocates and a few said they thought the rally was a disaster for medical cannabis. I was certainly shocked to hear this and asked why, and wondered if we were even talking about the same event?

Now I respect the people who expressed the negative comments to me, and they have caused me to reassess what “successful” really means. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not quite ready to back away from my original thinking, but their comments did make sense, and as my peers their thoughts were worthy of consideration. This is what they told me.

PERCEPTION is King. Ive been making this point sence I joined 3MA. I sometimes wonder if Its the right place for me. Fact is, everything and anything ANYONE Does, or that Happens and/or transpires around MMJ, will have a baring on Public Opinion on MMJ. Look, 65% of Michigan Voters (those registered to, and take their obligation up to actaully go to the polls and vote) voted to legalize MMJ under the rules set forth in the MMA Act. And while i know their are ALOT of closet cannabis users even in my very very conserative neighborhoods, of which i expect we have 75% voter activity in my county, i know not every person in that 75% uses or every used cannabis to any extent. I do however believe of the number of voter that did vote to legalize, but are not assiciated with MMJ is the reason this law was passed. Do not delude your self in thinking all the MMJ users of michigan were the only yes votes, and do not further think that John and Jane Q Public did put forth the vote effort to pass this inniative into law. To turn your back on them now would be nothing short of Disasterous, and extremely ludicris as well.

what is being said is those that did act disparringly, and even outrageously, could do more harm in one day, than 1000 rallys of 100% respectable attendees, causing no issues like the propane guys likey handled themselves, could do in one year. its afact, good news travels, but bad news travels faster, farther and louder.

The chief complaint was that this appeared to be a legalization protest rally. I countered with, “what about our great signs and patient speakers”? It was pointed out to me that the Propane Industry was also rallying on the other side of the building, I said I saw them. They had no protest signs. They threw a BBQ to entice representatives to come down and have a pork sandwich and a Dr. Pepper where propane advocates could build bridges with legislators and discuss their concerns. I was asked if any legislators appeared at our event and I said I wasn’t sure but I don’t believe any did.

while free speach is a right i ll fight for, common curtisy is a charecter trait, something that everyone has, and i personally expect to be use myself, and hope others do as well. We MUST BE RESPECTFULL of public spaces and those in them. That does not mean we have to be politically correct, but at the minimum, suggests while in this area, you should carry yourself with the Tact, Common Curtisy and Human Dignity we expect to recieve from others. you can not catch flys with vinegar.

Other legitimate complaints were that people were smoking cannabis in public Our Law Implicity states currently as it is now written, Using MMJ in a Public Space, Such as near the building at the State Capitol (REALLY ARE YOU FKING SERIOUS? IF I WERE THERE< I CERTAINLY WOULD OF SAID SOMETHING DIRECTLY TO THOSE INVOLVED. I dont give 2 defecates if your ill, a CG helping ill, or just a bystander, to DO something so STUPID as to smoke at the capitol of all places, durring a Rally, is just beyond me. If i was associated with the Rally, I would of asked you to leave, and if you refused, lets just say your not going to like my next response, so i ll leave it with this last word about it, with members like this, this movement doesnt need any enemys....), is NOT ACCEPTABLE AND ILLEGAL. Enough Said on that. (supporting the notion of a legalization rally), and the use of foul language by some of us.

Passion envokes responce that is most often, short, blunt and to the point when it comes to situations of this nature. It is to be expected, but does not need to be condoned. While Freedom of Speach is a great thing, like everything there is a time and a place. Whether the childeren were marched thru the area of the MMJ Rally on purpose or not, it remains the simple and blatent fact they Were There. I would hope that the folks in attendance would of had atleast enough respect for the time the children to be right in the middle of it all, to have a chance to vacate. Plenty can be said without using profanit or vulgarity (and believe me, if any of you folks meet me in person, you ll quickly see im one to say whats on my mind, and i do not ever buy into political correctness. but that does not mean i do not have mannors, and understand the differance between being Respectable and Responsible in declaring my opposition to unjust legislation. Espeacially when young shapable minds are around, they are going to take care of us when we are too old to do it for ourselfs. I for one want them to be Compitant, and not all messed up in the melon) and just being a rude and disrespectfull individual. I digress to no flys with vingar, and Perception Perception Perception is King. while our children need to be educated CORRECTLY on ALL points of our government and legislation, they need to be taught you try to talk things thru, and work things out non aggressivly. Only after all other peacefull avenues are attempted, and failed, only then is it time to Step up, and drop the dinner napkin and pick up the bayonette.

Even I admit it was good for the youts to see democracy in action, but the smell of cannabis and F-bombs exploding were totally inappropriate. These youts came from across the state to be inspired by seeing government in action, not for a crash course in adult bad manners. One person even suggested we lost a valuable opportunity to teach young people about medical cannabis. I disagreed stating that was not the mission of this event, but was reminded that we should seize every opportunity to share our message in a polite and unoffending way, especially to the children.

So that’s what some other advocates think. Has it changed my mind about the rally, do I think it was a disaster? Of course not, but I do believe that we had a couple faux-pas, and that protesting may not be an effective way to deliver our message to legislators and the public.

I also believe that we must evolve the way we communicate our message and the image we project to the public. The Propane people looked friendly and inviting, their pork sandwiches smelled and probably tasted fantastic, and I bet they actually got to tell several legislators why they were having a BBQ on the front lawn. Their attitude was humble and projected a positive image that legislators could easily embrace. I believe our movement would fare far better by adopting a policy of positive imaging and moving away from the angry-protest model we have relied on for the past twenty years. It’s clearly time to change tactics if we hope to change the results!

Disagreements and in-fighting between individuals and groups are expected in a population as diverse and individualistic as our medical cannabis community, but all differences must be hashed-out in private so that a unified, positive message is echoed by all community members.

Our messages must be perceived by the public as rational and legitimate for the wheels of change to start turning. Only when we convince our elected officials that we are able to generate broad public support for our positions (because we delivered the right messages), will we be in a position to influence any changes to our law. Until that happens, all we can do is react to changes proposed by those who rely on the contributions and votes of the well-organized law enforcement community.

Most importantly, we need the professionals in our industry, the attorneys and physicians, to become more engaged in proactive lobbying efforts because they do not project the “typical stoner” image, and can be effective at educating legislators. I understand that most are already working long hours and doling-out freebies to those who can’t afford to pay for their services, but now we also need them to devote one day each month to contacting public officials and legislators. This would instantly provide our community with what, at least 30 effective lobbyists at no additional cost to patients and caregivers.

We live in a time when image is still everything and right now we are still perceived as “the stoner crowd” by the general public, our elected officials and law enforcement. If we hope to preserve or expand our medical cannabis protections, we must start by changing how we are perceived by these people. When we begin to deliver our message in a way that’s not offensive to people, but makes them feel compation for our cause, then we will make an impact on our legislators. I believe the Lansing Rally was certainly a step in that direction, and I hope we use it as the learning experience it was.

Perception is what sways public opinion. give the perception of a pothead, stoner loser, is like trying to get flies with vinegar. we must change how we perceive ourselves, if we are to change how others percieve us. this too is a fact.

Brad I think you make a good point about image. I agree 100% we need to change that.

But lets think through the propane comments. If those detractors think the smell of BBQ enticed anyone to come down to the tent they are sadly mistaken and don't really understand how things work in US politics. Nothing is left to chance in politics and those representatives who did show up to the tent were all ready committed to do so by the propane lobby. Now go lobby all the representatives and see how many commitments you can get to attend a MMJ lunch. I will personally buy BBQ sandwiches for every one you can get. My belief is you will get zero because the next time that person runs for office there will be a TV ad that goes something like "senator so-and-so is soft on crime. he even attended a pro marijuana rally."

So how do we change image? It is very easy and it will probably never happen. People are going to hate me for this but it is the honest truth. Let me start with a story. I am a consultant and work with many different small and medium size businesses. When I first started I knew a tie was required every day. I was wearing the cool and funny cartoon ties with Bugs Bunny and the gang on them. The ladies loved them by the way. I was making some recommendations to a owner of an insurance company when he came right out and said "I don't know if I can take advice from a guy wearing a cartoon tie." Right then and there I realized it was not the value of my well researched recommendations that my clients were buying into. It was the image that I am a professional that knows what i am doing. After that I switched to Jerry Garcia ties. Professional looking but I secretly knew they were cool. Anyway my point is 90% of your image will be summed up at the first look. Don't judge a book by it's cover is just a hackneyed saying.

Protest are important to show the level of support and we do need to refine proper conduct at them. Guys in suits are also important to lobby on our behalf. We need to get the brightest and most polished of our cannabis army together and start a lobby campaign. These guys need to have a unified message and be well coordinated.

Well it's time for me to step in it.

I see far too many people in my approximate age group (I am 58) and who ,including me, went to protests over the Vietmnam Police Action and over civil rights. Those times formed our views and in some ways many of us felt involved, because we new we were doing something important. And because the news used to actually show what was going on it would be on the six o'clock news. Now the news is often overlooked if it is of a political nature. Things are a little better with Obama but its still "Toto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."

They still see validity in the act but do not pay much attention to seeing if the protest was effective. For instance what newspapers, tv stations, blogs, web pages outside of those with a med mj orientation (no point in counting the converted.).

These are measurable things. They do not tell us how the message was received. There might some areas where we can see feedback or you tube hits.

Did anyone Tweet the rally? Were speakers shown on the net?

Were news packets sent out to the legislature with personal letters informing and inviting them to talk at the rally or after it at their convenience?

The model for this site is a good warhorse but perhaps we should look at sites like the huffington post and see if there are approaches we can emulate in creating a better site.

Okay here it comes As long as we focus on news of sick people being prime importance we are not going to be well received. We need to create clips of people's stories and present the best three. We need something that makes people cry and feel empathy and we should tailor that message to evoke the right kind of reaction. Sure everyone has a story and maybe a documentary dealing with it is a good idea.

I certainly am not suggesting that we do not help sick people or that they are unimportant but rather people can just take so much. We need to try to target to those who are on the fence about the whole thing. Thats the low lying fruit. Converting someone who anchors their beliefs with emotions takes a lot more time or a major event like having a relative who needs med mj suddenly.

Who is for us and who is against us in the state legislature ? Let us organize and have them get thousands of snail mails , supposedly the most effective, and emails and tweets. (no I have never tweeted)

Same for Congress.

I personally think that anyone who lit up at the march or used profane language when acting as a representative of what we stand for, should be forced, and I will say it again FORCED to smoke nothing but schwag for the next two years! The natives are restless enough. Yeah yeah you can complain about your rights but this is about winning the war. Besides there are medibles,and you can think whatever you like in your head, but when you represent us your on your best verbal behavior. You should attack effectivly grasshopper. We shouldn't give those who are in opposition a stick to beat us with. This is about image. We must not think about how we might react but how the fence sitters will react. Later you can eloquently express your moral indignation in company that will appreciate your fervor. This is a game played to win. We should avoid shooting ourselves in our foot.

We should examine what can be done through the internet and other less expensive means of communication. Some of this is going to take time and money so we are going to have to try to raise funds. So we must learn how to do it well. People's time is worth something. If a person wrote a column every week then they deserve something. If they take it or not or what it is, is not my business but we should try to utilize approaches that are current and effective rather then just looking at the protests of the 1960's as our sole model for getting our side of the story out and what we want and need.

Ahhh, now I feel so much better was it my rant or the mutant lemoncake? I'll never tell. Please feel free to add to my idea or help me fix what is weak.

With respect

Mrd

Brilliant! ( Also I agree with more lobbying.)

Well I see the points from both sides,I personnally am taking the plant a seed aproach.The latest example of this is that my wife and I just got a new home so naturally all the parents,grand parents aunts and uncles made the trip out to see the new place and get the tour-now my wife said maybe I should tuck my plants in a closet so I dont offend any of the more conservative family,I debated it and decided I would show my card so they know im not breaking laws and it also generated many questions especially from the grand parents about if it really helps and how it helps which I was more then happy to tell them how it helps me and my condition.Mind you these are people that prob voted against the law in the first place but as I told them of the amount of narcotics I was able to break free from and to use what God gave us to help my symptoms as well as the dif methods example medibles which they had no idea alot of legal patients do not sit in a smoky room listening to pink floyd but use tintures etc to help them through the day they really seemed to have a dif attitude in the hour or so we spent disscussing the issue.My hope is the tell their friends and the stigma of pot is viewed in a dif light.My own family is very conservative but they have all known since day 1 and all accept it and respect that if it makes me feel better that it makes them feel better,they hated seeing me at my worse and I remember my mother asking how I was feeling and replying I feel like dying and I wish it would end-those days are gone now and I hope they dont ever come back but I wish I had the ability to relate on a personal level with these politicians and more so my strait laced family on the obvious change its made in my life.I can now be a good dad to my children and a husband to my wife and not feel on the verge of my demise so maybe non patients observings would be more impactful then patients...I dont know just my 2 cents.

Thanks Brad for your input am not a great poster here

I disagree my friend misspelled words aside people want to hear from you i know i do this all started at your doorstep and you should be along for the ride until they leave us alone and let us live in peace. :mellow:

I've attended a lot of the protests that the cannabis community has put together over the past few years. Some of my peers wonder why I do it, bringing pretty much the same arguements to the table that Brad has heard recently. My answer is that I enjoy doing it, first and foremost. Secondary to that, I think that the patients need to be defended, as so many of them are physically unable to do this themselves.

Now I wonder tho, is this really our most effective way of communicating with these folks? I'm beginning to doubt that it is. I am developing ideas to increase our presence to the public in another way. I think that what is needed is for the public to meet the folks who have recieved benefits from cannabis therapies. I am working with a local television tech to get these stories into the news cycle, should have more news on this very soon.

Peace ... j.b.

Very cool JB. I 've always thought we have the moral high ground, we have the stories, but we need to get the stories out. Let's face it the anti's won't watch a protest video, but personal stories done in a tasteful way have the power to change minds, and sway perceptions. Our mutual friends personal story would be a inspiration to those with similar afflictions, and an eye opener to those on the fence. So many times we forget to make clear, this stuff is medicine, it works, and we have checks and balances in place to keep it above board.......shredder

I agree totally. Bob, you and Torie have inspired many and some of us remember your encounter well. Your continued support of others within this community is a shining example of how to defend your rights when government thugs kick your door in.

We have many good examples to follow in this community. Sorry for straying off topic.

EDIT: SPELLING

Archived