City Of Tawas Puts Moratorium On Medical Practices That Certify Patients Under The Mmma

Dr. Bob

This evening I attended the City Council meeting in Tawas Michigan. We are in the process of opening a medical office here to do certifications. Our business permit for a medical practice was submitted on 5-24, but was not accepted. At the council meeting this evening, there was a letter h) listed on the agenda with no explanation. At the start of the meeting, it was announced that letter h) referred to a moratorium of some sort.

When the agenda item was reached, it was announced that a six month moratorium on medical practices that certified patients under the MMMA was announced and passed with one negative vote. Other than one supporter on the council, they voted in a block and appeared to have already decided prior to the meeting, but that was impossible to say.

This is a ban of a medical practice based on specialty, specifically medical marijuana. To my knowledge, this is the first time a local government has taken the step of banning a specific medical practice, while allowing others to exist.

We have been invited to the zoning commission or some such nonsense tomorrow night at Tawas City Hall. I believe this is the case we are looking for, to make an example of a local government for a clearly foolish and probably illegal moratorium on an accepted business covered under state law. Unlike the other issues, this particular move targets physicians in medical practice specifically.

Dr. Bob

This evening I attended the City Council meeting in Tawas Michigan. We are in the process of opening a medical office here to do certifications. Our business permit for a medical practice was submitted on 5-24, but was not accepted. At the council meeting this evening, there was a letter h) listed on the agenda with no explanation. At the start of the meeting, it was announced that letter h) referred to a moratorium of some sort.

When the agenda item was reached, it was announced that a six month moratorium on medical practices that certified patients under the MMMA was announced and passed with one negative vote. Other than one supporter on the council, they voted in a block and appeared to have already decided prior to the meeting, but that was impossible to say.

This is a ban of a medical practice based on specialty, specifically medical marijuana. To my knowledge, this is the first time a local government has taken the step of banning a specific medical practice, while allowing others to exist.

We have been invited to the zoning commission or some such nonsense tomorrow night at Tawas City Hall. I believe this is the case we are looking for, to make an example of a local government for a clearly foolish and probably illegal moratorium on an accepted business covered under state law. Unlike the other issues, this particular move targets physicians in medical practice specifically.

Dr. Bob

Time for the Dr.s to pool there money together ,get a Attorney and SUE there pants off them...

Time for the Dr.s to pool there money together ,get a Attorney and SUE there pants off them...

Done, this is the case. I'm going to the planning commission tomorrow night and telling them I am going to defy the moratorium. I'm then going to my office, with a police officer, and certify a patient. I am going to dare them to arrest me. If I'm not heard from tomorrow evening after 11PM, I'm in jail in Tawas. I could use a cake (chocolate with caramel frosting) with a file baked in.

Dr. Bob

Done, this is the case. I'm going to the planning commission tomorrow night and telling them I am going to defy the moratorium. I'm then going to my office, with a police officer, and certify a patient. I am going to dare them to arrest me. If I'm not heard from tomorrow evening after 11PM, I'm in jail in Tawas. I could use a cake (chocolate with caramel frosting) with a file baked in.

Dr. Bob

Don't forget the reporters and tv camera's, this case is a win on so many levels...

Dr. Bob

Freedom Rider #1

Buses are a comin...........With 60,000 chocolate cakes, which one has the file in it?

It is hard to believe how insensitive some politicians are to the wishes of the populace !!

The vote to legalize MMJ won by a good 63%...in ALL counties !

So now these pinheads decide to take matters into their own hands...to deny the citizens of their city a medical specialty !!!

Be sure to have that cop with you...and the reporters with the cameras....and the attorney with the lawsuit !

Dr. Jinx

It is hard to believe how insensitive some politicians are to the wishes of the populace !!

The vote to legalize MMJ won by a good 63%...in ALL counties !

So now these pinheads decide to take matters into their own hands...to deny the citizens of their city a medical specialty !!!

Be sure to have that cop with you...and the reporters with the cameras....and the attorney with the lawsuit !

Dr. Jinx

First, let me say I like Tawas. I actually practiced internal medicine there and have been doing certifications there for over a year. I am very well known and respected in the community, not just as a 'certification doctor' but as a well respected physician. It is a tragedy the council took this move. There is a difference between being clever and out thinking an opponent, and being dishonest and sneaky. This was dishonest and sneaky as they left the agenda item blank and voted it in without any public comment before the vote.

The positive aspect of this is that what they did was clearly illegal. It is also wrong on a moral ground. We have a little municipality literally breeching the doctor patient relationship and targeting a group of physicians to prevent them from recommending a medication as allowed by state law. There is precedence all the way to the US Supreme Court that says they cannot do that. Tawas will be bankrupt and made an example of for all cities in Michigan to press home the point that 63% of the voters WILL BE HEARD.

What I need from the members of this board is a private message from each of you requesting a certification appointment. I am having a 'special clinic' in Tawas- Cost is $250 a certification, you will need records available. When I take them to court I want to show I can see a patient every 6 min, 10 per hour, 200 per day for 180 days. I need as many as possible to 'request a visit' to show the demand is there to support that number of patients, at least for opening day which will be a week from this Friday. While some of you may have 'scheduling conflicts' or 'can't locate records' and be 'unable to attend' at the last minute, I WANT THE APPOINTMENTS REQUESTED so I can show damages and punish the city. Please request your appointments for the record by PM. I know your renewals may not be due for 11 months, but hey, the early bird gets the worm. Sign up for this clinic. Your non-mmma friends may also send email directly to me at drrtownsend@msn.com.

This is a very clear cut case of misconduct. Unless immediate action is taken on the part of the City of Tawas, it will have a profound impact on all zoning issues related to MMJ in the coming years. As communities struggle with the issue, one overriding though in their debate will become 'we want to do this right, after all we don't want to have happen to us what happened to Tawas'. Come to Tawas and be a part of the history of this movement.

Thank you for your support, and the planning commission meeting is at 6pm tonight in Tawas City Hall. Tawas is at the intersection of US 23 and M55 in case you need directions. City Hall is just South of that intersection on the West side of 23- It has a big clock on the side of the building. See y'all there.

Chocolate cake, caramel frosting. And a file. Non-medicated, I don't have a card.

Dr. Bob

First, let me say I like Tawas. I actually practiced internal medicine there and have been doing certifications there for over a year. I am very well known and respected in the community, not just as a 'certification doctor' but as a well respected physician. It is a tragedy the council took this move. There is a difference between being clever and out thinking an opponent, and being dishonest and sneaky. This was dishonest and sneaky as they left the agenda item blank and voted it in without any public comment before the vote.

The positive aspect of this is that what they did was clearly illegal. It is also wrong on a moral ground. We have a little municipality literally breeching the doctor patient relationship and targeting a group of physicians to prevent them from recommending a medication as allowed by state law. There is precedence all the way to the US Supreme Court that says they cannot do that. Tawas will be bankrupt and made an example of for all cities in Michigan to press home the point that 63% of the voters WILL BE HEARD.

What I need from the members of this board is a private message from each of you requesting a certification appointment. I am having a 'special clinic' in Tawas- Cost is $250 a certification, you will need records available. When I take them to court I want to show I can see a patient every 6 min, 10 per hour, 200 per day for 180 days. I need as many as possible to 'request a visit' to show the demand is there to support that number of patients, at least for opening day which will be a week from this Friday. While some of you may have 'scheduling conflicts' or 'can't locate records' and be 'unable to attend' at the last minute, I WANT THE APPOINTMENTS REQUESTED so I can show damages and punish the city. Please request your appointments for the record by PM. I know your renewals may not be due for 11 months, but hey, the early bird gets the worm. Sign up for this clinic. Your non-mmma friends may also send email directly to me at drrtownsend@msn.com.

This is a very clear cut case of misconduct. Unless immediate action is taken on the part of the City of Tawas, it will have a profound impact on all zoning issues related to MMJ in the coming years. As communities struggle with the issue, one overriding though in their debate will become 'we want to do this right, after all we don't want to have happen to us what happened to Tawas'. Come to Tawas and be a part of the history of this movement.

Thank you for your support, and the planning commission meeting is at 6pm tonight in Tawas City Hall. Tawas is at the intersection of US 23 and M55 in case you need directions. City Hall is just South of that intersection on the West side of 23- It has a big clock on the side of the building. See y'all there.

Chocolate cake, caramel frosting. And a file. Non-medicated, I don't have a card.

Dr. Bob

Clare did the same thing , They snuck one in on us..didn't give us a chance to speak, slid right over it..But the Clare Police said they are supporting there rules..They are following state law..So as long as you follow STATE LAW..There is nothing they can do to you..

Will do Dr.

We need to keep the phone lines busy for awhile today, Call up the City of Tawas and say HI!

Dr. Bob

I 'll Pm you my Med Phone ( Private )

If by any Chance you Need Emergency Help ,

Please DON"T Hesitate Calling me ...

I will be there ....

Dr. Bob

God bless you Dr Bod and your courage to stand up for what is morally right. My prayers are with you and hope and pray you will not have to endure what I and others have had to go through from the gestapo thugs that work for are Government.

God bless you Dr Bod and your courage to stand up for what is morally right. My prayers are with you and hope and pray you will not have to endure what I and others have had to go through from the gestapo thugs that work for are Government.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28101571/Tawas%20Moratorium.tif

Here is the link to the actual moratorium from Tawas. Just got it.

Dr. Bob

OK, here is the update. We have a planning commission meeting this evening and will not have a chance to speak. We are going to do a little investigation, bring the right people and the news media in, and give them a chance to compound their mistakes. We are getting interest from the ACLU, MMMA and other organizations. My attorney is looking into the lawsuit. Keep your eyes open and I'll update in a few.

Dr. Bob

OK, here is the update. We have a planning commission meeting this evening and will not have a chance to speak. We are going to do a little investigation, bring the right people and the news media in, and give them a chance to compound their mistakes. We are getting interest from the ACLU, MMMA and other organizations. My attorney is looking into the lawsuit. Keep your eyes open and I'll update in a few.

Dr. Bob

We are waiting to see you take on the Tawas Goliath !!!!

I would say that they have met their match !!!!

dr. Jinx

Dr. Bob

HA ! :lol:

Your the best Dr Bob i applaud you ! :goodjob:

Archived