The Water Curing Method

Water Curing method: This method is quicker and can improve a lower quality product. The freshly cut buds are submersed in water for a period of 7 straight days, changing the water every 24 hours. After 7 days the buds are then dried and are ready to use. Using this method, nutrients can be fed to the plants right up until they are harvested because the water flushes out harmful chemicals (such as the ones used to feed the plants) as well as proteins, sugars, pigments and some resins. This also increases the THC to weight ratio though many believe the finished product is not as attractive as using a standard dry and cure method. -says Wikipedia

I can't imagine this method being a bad idea unless there are more downsides than the aforementioned "finished product not as attractive"/less plant mass issue. I suppose the other major downside would be lack of taste and smell, for the connoisseurs. However, this method seems more appealing to me, being a complete nub, because it is an easier process for me to learn and a faster process than a dry cure. Also it seems there's less room for error; less of a chance for mold, no need to worry about opening and closing curing jars all the time, or worrying that I'm messing something up, etc etc.

So I googled, I found a few comments such as:

-The only downside is if your selling it people won't like it because it doesn't smell and it turns brown. But the looks and smell is deceiving. It smokes good.

- It doesn't smell much. It doesn't seem to really stain your clothes with the smell either.

- It doesn't taste much either

- It's pretty smooth.

- It burns, really, really well. Burns quite quickly, but evenly. And is like smoking tobacco when smoked through a pipe.

-It seems more potent simply because there's less plant mass but just as many trichs. For example; if you've got 100 grams of wet bud, and you air dry/cure, you're left with about 25 grams of dry bud, so there's 'X amount' of trichs in the 25 grams, but if you water cure that 100 grams of wet bud, you end up with about 15 grams of dry bud, and in that 15 grams there's still that same 'X amount' of trichs as the 25 grams, but 10 grams less plant mass. That's why it certainly seems more potent, and I guess you could argue it technically is more potent, but when selling, it still weighs less and not many people will by half a gram for the same price as one gram just because you say it's more potent.

But I'd like to hear what youuuuuuu guys say about this. Pros/Cons, Opinions or whatever! :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it the facepalm is because you disapprove :)

well...duh. yes all the bad listed, plus it sucks, and where did you get the idea it was easier?

i understand nubies read a lot into chit.....hears how you cure. the right way lol.... after you dry it....put it in a jar. open it so it doesnt get moldy.....besides why would you want tasteless crappy meds?

I get the idea that it's easier because all I have to do is soak it in water for seven days. change the water once a day. then after a week pull it out let it dry and it's done. that seems a lot less complicated to me, and a lot less time consuming, than a long dry cure. from my perspective as a new person, it seems that there is no set in stone dry cure method. a dry cure can take a month up to three months, and everyone seems to have their own method that they think is best. so...it seems to be more of an art and not a science since there is no set procedure. the art of curing comes with experience I would imagine. something I do not have. and since I could care less about if the end product doesn't "look pretty" or taste like marijuana typically does, the water cure method has some appeal for me. in no way am I defending the method, I'm just explaining my interest.

I'd like to add that I've smoked recreationally for 15 years now. of course i appreciate the taste and smell of quality buds, but if I'm using it as medicine in a legitimate manner I don't care if it tastes like donkeybutt, as long as it WORKS.

anyways more opinions, let's hear it!

Watercure removes the flavor and taste. It is interesting to note - the smoke smells non-descript - meaning that you might be able to smoke this around people and they might not know its marijuana!

Why would you do this? It is more work, and removes the taste and flavors. Most people will equate brown marijuana as street grade.

When I had it available - no takers.

-DN

Watercure removes the flavor and taste. It is interesting to note - the smoke smells non-descript - meaning that you might be able to smoke this around people and they might not know its marijuana!

Why would you do this? It is more work, and removes the taste and flavors. Most people will equate brown marijuana as street grade.

When I had it available - no takers.

-DN

Yes I've been reading that its great for stealth smoking and also great for edibles. I don't intend on distributing. Ever. When I grow it will be for personal meds only. I don't care what other people think of my stuff. It's myyyy stuff.

hears how you cure. the right way lol.... after you dry it....put it in a jar. open it so it doesnt get moldy.....besides why would you want tasteless crappy meds?

Your explanation of curing is "put in jar, open so it doesn't get moldy"?. I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that! Oh, and I don't "want" tasteless crappy meds. I just don't really put a priority on taste since I am getting my med card for medical purposes. My buds don't need to taste good because it's my medicine, and I don't care how it tastes as long as it works. If water curing is easier and less time consuming with the only downside being the way it looks and tastes, I could give a crap less.

I'd like to see more detailed explanations instead of "it sucks", "sounds yummy (not)", and "um...no." and I'd like to hear from people who have actually tried this method.

For lack of a better phrase, there are a few 'med snobs' that probably gasped in horror when you posted this. I personally dont recommend it either though (as being one myself). Does it work? (as in cure), yes. Does it turn it odd color and remove scents from meds? yes. Do the meds still function with thier intended purpose? Yes. Is it easier to change water daily, risk mold from doing the process incorrect and take on a process as a newer grower that people are unfamiliar with and would find difficulty in helping you with? No

Its not that you know one way or the other with being newer to this, and now that hopefully the bashing is over to your lack of knowledge on the subject hopefully at least those fact based snipits will help you decide for yourself.

For lack of a better phrase, there are a few 'med snobs' that probably gasped in horror when you posted this. I personally dont recommend it either though (as being one myself). Does it work? (as in cure), yes. Does it turn it odd color and remove scents from meds? yes. Do the meds still function with thier intended purpose? Yes. Is it easier to change water daily, risk mold from doing the process incorrect and take on a process as a newer grower that people are unfamiliar with and would find difficulty in helping you with? No

Its not that you know one way or the other with being newer to this, and now that hopefully the bashing is over to your lack of knowledge on the subject hopefully at least those fact based snipits will help you decide for yourself.

Thank you for a decent answer! And, that was bashing? Hahah, pretty mild. I'm not afraid of "med snobs". They can gasp all they want!!! I'm a pot snob. I've smoked everything from backyard boogie to super-potent strains, and I've been smoking for 15 years. But if we're talking about marijuana as a medicine, my attitude is completely different. Like I said if the buds will still work, this method may be the right one for me.

Honestly, I feel like the possibility of me screwing up a cure is more likely with a dry one over a wet one. I'd worry more about mold with a dry cure, and sometimes I can't be around to tend things. Seeing how buds are completely submerged under water for a water cure, there is absolutely no way mold will happen. Mold can't grow under water.

I think I might do it just to tinkle everyone off. I love being the underdog. ;)

Guest Happy Guy

You still have to dry it out in the end. The water only cures it. Same chances for mold. More actually, because you have to get it sopping wet before you dry it.

You still have to dry it out in the end. The water only cures it. Same chances for mold. More actually, because you have to get it sopping wet before you dry it.

Less, actually. From what I've read, it takes 5 hours to dry from sopping wet to finished with good air flow. No way mold can grow in 5 hours.

Has anyone actually TRIED the method? Looking for experienced opinions.

edit: Ohh I found a few good threads elsewhere if anyone cares to read them. Probably not. But here they are anyway.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/harvest-preparation-curing/108240-water-curing-marijuana.html

http://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/easy-water-cure-t4001.html

Honestly, I feel like the possibility of me screwing up a cure is more likely with a dry one over a wet one. I'd worry more about mold with a dry cure, and sometimes I can't be around to tend things. Seeing how buds are completely submerged under water for a water cure, there is absolutely no way mold will happen. Mold can't grow under water.

Everything you say is wrong, wait,i forget you're not getting it... Everything you say is STUPID. Why waste our time asking questions when you just whine that "it's too hard" or "that's too much work" and "i don't have the time for that".

Don't ask caring, dedicated, aficionados to tell you how to **** up, you are the expert on that subject.

I think you are missing the point..... most of us havent tried it. In spite of what you keep saying its NOT easier.....and imo MORE chance of getting moldy. I know you know what you have read..... im telling you grow out a decent plant and get it all wet change the water for a week and then hurry n speed dry it...and oh ya thats way more work.

look you dry your meds....place in jar. you burp it a couple times a day letting out the moisture. yes you will need to "get the hang of it" but if you flushed good and dont get a perfect cure.....its still less work and better taste than the water cure. just flush it and put it in jar. if you just know this is the way for you then just soak them buds and dont ask opinions. :D

Guest Happy Guy

Less, actually. From what I've read, it takes 5 hours to dry from sopping wet to finished with good air flow. No way mold can grow in 5 hours.

edit: Ohh I found a few good threads elsewhere if anyone cares to read them. Probably not. But here they are anyway.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/harvest-preparation-curing/108240-water-curing-marijuana.html

Cool. Just like I thought; After the 3-7 days, hang and dry the buds like you normally would.

I know buds, a sopping wet one doesn't dry in 5 hours.

i didnt read all your threads...but when people say stuff like "this will make better hash" you have to wonder....hash doesnt contain plant matter...ya i dk just sounds like bs to me but enjoy ur stuff.

Everything you say is wrong, wait,i forget you're not getting it... Everything you say is STUPID. Why waste our time asking questions when you just whine that "it's too hard" or "that's too much work" and "i don't have the time for that".

Don't ask caring, dedicated, aficionados to tell you how to **** up, you are the expert on that subject.

GTFO of the thread then, grumpypants. Your rude comments are nothing to me. If you knew my medical situation, perhaps you wouldn't speculate about my "whining". In fact, if you knew, you'd probably feel like a douche for saying that. You don't sound like a very caring, dedicated aficionado right now buddy. You sound like you need to medicate. Why don't you talk about why you think water curing is stupid instead of attacking me personally.

Looking for experienced people who have tried this method, still! Thanks guys :)

Cool. Just like I thought; After the 3-7 days, hang and dry the buds like you normally would.

I know buds, a sopping wet one doesn't dry in 5 hours.

Something about a fan somewhere, I read. Perhaps in another link I didn't post. Also something about the use of a fruit dehydrating machine. /shrug

Guest Happy Guy

Something about a fan somewhere, I read. Perhaps in another link I didn't post. Also something about the use of a fruit dehydrating machine. /shrug

I use the fruit dehydrator for the trim I use for cannabis oil. It's a rough way to treat what you would want to vape or smoke. I would keep the best buds separate and slow dry them.

I think you are missing the point..... most of us havent tried it. In spite of what you keep saying its NOT easier.....and imo MORE chance of getting moldy. I know you know what you have read..... im telling you grow out a decent plant and get it all wet change the water for a week and then hurry n speed dry it...and oh ya thats way more work.

look you dry your meds....place in jar. you burp it a couple times a day letting out the moisture. yes you will need to "get the hang of it" but if you flushed good and dont get a perfect cure.....its still less work and better taste than the water cure. just flush it and put it in jar. if you just know this is the way for you then just soak them buds and dont ask opinions. :D

No I'm not missing the point. People are just flaming me because they seem to be set in their ways, so far I've not seen a good argument as to why people think water cures are bad other than taste and smell. Catfinger gave me a good reply. I guess what I'm looking for, for me personally, is the easiest low maintenance way to cure buds so they are as smooth as possible. I have lung trouble. Seriously bad lung trouble. Smoking a vape even hurts sometimes, and I can't imagine attempting to smoke regularly. I am not capable of paying a caregiver. I'm also not capable of having to do a cure that's high maintenance due to work/health issues. So anyway a super smooth cure is what I'm after, just like everyone else, but mine needs to be hyper smooth for my hyper sensitive lungs. From what I'm reading, water curing provides that. And also from what I'm reading, screwing up a dry cure will make buds harsh also I've read that the best cures are the ones that take longer. So, is time = the best dry cure? Or is it more about the method?

I always like to hear opinions, it's how people figure out what they're gonna do. I'd appreciate more opinions and less flaming/attitude. Not from you I mean from other folks. No need to get all fiery over a curing discussion. Especially no need to attack me on a personal level. I have nothing but respect for everyone here. Even mister grumpypants up there.

this is the stupidest crap ive EVER heard of. dry your crappy crop, get better genetics, and try not to suck next time.

Thanks bro. Pro tips from such a nice guy. Very helpful. Fix your crappy attitude, get better manners, and try not to suck next time. ;)

doesnt get moldy.....besides why would you want tasteless crappy meds?

It doesn't really affect potency. And why would you want tasteless? If you want to cook with it and you have a PT that has an adversion to all of her food tasting like weed...

helps a little bit on that.

Archived