Editorial About Bs-Tells It Like It Is.

Traverse City Record-Eagle Editorial (Traverse City, MI)

The four public-not invited medical marijuana sessions sponsored by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette across Michigan had more to do with promoting Schuette’s stridently anti-pot political agenda than trying to find ways to make the law work for the tens of thousands of Michigan residents it was meant to help.

That’s a ludicrous approach for the state’s top cop to take, but when that top cop acts more like a politician than policeman it’s what we get.

The Schuette-sponsored mini-symposium “Clearing the Air: Implementing and Enforcing Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Law” was held in Traverse City last week, and it proved to be way more about enforcement than implementation.

The fact that medical marijuana patients, caregivers and advocates — the people who could best talk about implementation — were not invited to the party said a lot. And so did Schuette spokeswoman Joy Year out. She said the event was being held so: “... (local officials) can get a better handle on this very confusing law and have some confidence that they’re keeping their community safe.”

Safe from whom? And for whom? Was she referring to keeping untold thousands of Michigan residents safe from chronic pain or the debilitating effects of chemotherapy or radiation therapy?

Those are the people this law is all about. But even though the law is influx and many outlets where patients could go to buy marijuana have closed because of a recent court ruling, Schuette pointedly dis-invited patients,caregivers and advocates — the very people who could talk most authoritatively about how to make the law work while “protecting” the rest of us from potheads in the throes of reefer madness.

Another Schuette spokesperson underscored what a red herring the “safety”issue really was. He said Schuette has made clear “we don’t think voters intended for drug shops outside of elementary schools or next to churches.” Ofcourse they didn’t. But no one — including the AG’S office, presumably — is claiming that the problem with the law is that people are setting up drug shops outside churches and schools, either. That kind of rhetoric is aimed solely at changing the topic, not advancing the discussion.

The speakers at the Traverse City forum did not talk about the aim of the law or the people it was passed to serve, but rather how to crack down on people they think are cashing in. Many people, apparently including Schuette,don’t like to acknowledge that an overwhelming 63 percent of voters approved the state’s medical marijuana ballot proposal just over three years ago and it is the law of the land. Period.

Under that law, patients certified by a doctor are allowed to possess up to2.5 ounces of marijuana and 12 plants, and designated caregivers are also allowed to grow and distribute marijuana to up to five patients.

There’s no question that as passed, the medical marijuana act is unclear and lacks the kind of details and supporting legislation necessary to support those who need marijuana therapy for a severe physical condition and cull out those just trying to cash in.

But the blame for that lack of coherence lies directly with Michigan’s ohso-lame Legislature, which has essentially refused to create the necessary bedrock of enabling legislation, not with those who could benefit so much from medical marijuana.

A state police lieutenant at the Traverse City event railed that the process of certifying patients has become a “cottage industry for unscrupulous doctors.” He needs to take a deep breath and one, vent his anger at lawmakers who have utterly failed to do their job, and two, leave the decisions over whois “unscrupulous” up to prosecutors, judges and juries.

The fact that the four Schuette-sponsored pot summits across the state did not include patients or caregivers or anyone outside law enforcement or local government shows clearly that this wasn’t an effort to find ways to make the law work.

The session Wednesday was in no way an attempt to resolve the access and enforcement issues that have kept many medical marijuana users from getting the relief voters said they were entitled to have.

As Michigan’s top law enforcement officer, Schuette has failed the people he was elected to protect and defend, all in the name of a personal political agenda.

(This editorial was written by the Record Eagle's editorial staff)<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" clear="all">

The media just wants to make a story out of all this and following lock step with Mr. Bill and seems to scared to really look at the facts. Facts are simple, the law is simple and the only ones breaking the law is LAW IT SELF. I find it shocking that the media don't say " hey wait a minute, show me some truth in this problem issue or are you just pushing your own sick agenda". Why not talks on the increased violent crime rate around the state or talks on how to catch more child molesters. No the media just wants to follow lock step with this knothead and watch as he wastes countless tax dollars going after sick people that are not hurting NO ONE ...

There’s no question that as passed, the medical marijuana act is unclear and lacks the kind of details and supporting legislation necessary to support those who need marijuana therapy for a severe physical condition and cull out those just trying to cash in.

I wonder if the author considers migraines a "severe physical condition." Schuette etc. are welcome to tell me how healthy I look when I am projectile vomiting in their faces from the pain. :thumbsu:

Compared to the publicity this situation has been receiving, this article is a huge step in the right direction. Most editors would not have the guts to print something like this for fear of harassment or losing their jobs. This type of reporting is what we need to make the public aware of how an elected official is abusing his office. The article is not perfect, but it is certainly better than much of the reporting I am seeing lately. :bow: the editors

Please notice the mantra being chanted.

"The law is confusing." Over and over again.

The public is being bombarded with these very specific messages.

ANYTIME you hear this just say "please show me." The response breaks up the impact of the intended public programming.

Back to the mind numming TV .. So I can learn (again) the cops are the good guys ..

1323035250[/url]' post='343920']

Please notice the mantra being chanted.

"The law is confusing." Over and over again.

The public is being bombarded with these very specific messages.

ANYTIME you hear this just say "please show me." The response breaks up the impact of the intended public programming.

Back to the mind numming TV .. So I can learn (again) the cops are the good guys ..

You know my favorite response to this is: in 18 years of practicing law, I have learned that when the PROSECUOTR says a law is confusing, then is usually means it does not favor thier position.

Unfortunately the Individual that is most resposible for enforcement of our MMJ laws, our Attorney General is to busy trying to find a way to violate our rights to bother with giving us equal protections under the law. Instead Mr. Bill wants to attempt to change our law with out the Super Majority he needs to change our law. I guess I find it difficult to understand how Alchohol and bars are absolutely legal and it is understood that there will be fights and more likely that not many will drive after too many drinks. Then you view a MMMP Patient attempting to get easy acess to MMJ out of the way of Schools, Churches, and out of the public eye. How do we pose a larger threat to public saftey than alcohol. I of course do not think there is any issue with alcohol but Mr Bill barn storming around the state to encourage LEO's to also violate Michigan State Law by confiscating Marijuana from a Registered Patient is precisely what our law was supposed to protect us from. Then instructs LEO's that they have to keep the confiscated legal medicine due to federal law. Can anybody please explain how any of the LEO's believe or respect Mr. Bill after listening to his traveling Circus. How can they look him in the eye and not at least crack a smile or a slight chuckle?

jay420

I do not support the legalization of marijuana. Legalization would belie the seriousness of the social, health and economic costs of drug use. In addition, some experts believe that this approach would lead to an increase in drug abuse, which our country simply cannot afford. The United States Chamber of Commerce estimates that lost productivity, accidents, higher medical claims, increased absenteeism and theft of property resulting from drug abuse by workers already cost employers billions of dollars each year. While Congress cannot simply legislate an end to the drug problem in this country, we can make things more difficult for the drug growers and traffickers, encourage reductions in the demand for drugs through education, and address the social costs of drug abuse by improving treatment and rehabilitation programs.

Best Wishes. Sincerely,Carl Levin

There's your real reason. It's about profit. The same guys taking your house and laying you off want you in jail. If everyone smoked pot, and relaxed a bit on the workalohic thing, it'd be like an unplanned work slowdown or a strike. The end result would be that they would have to pay us more to do a given amount of work, and our standard of living would rise. can't have that!

Archived