Hb 5286:

torpid420

Theres a bill in the MI house that would require LARA to provide answers to law enforcement when they draft a search warrant to help determine the status of a caregiver or patient before they start beating down doors.

EDIT: It appears that the law in the current form could create a loophole to allow unlimited queries to LARA for the purposes of obtaining a search warrant, not necessarialy executing one.

This is a trojan horse. DO NOT SUPPORT. I REPEAT, DO NOT SUPPORT.

Start contacting your lawmakers ASAP and get them to oppose the current language in this bill. It is designed to potentially give police the OK to query any person or residence they suspect might be a illicit user/grower and do unlimited queries, possibly automated, to profile and map all the patients and caregivers on the registry, getting around the confidentiality requirements. Don't let them pull a fast one on the clueless legislators and get this amended, because it will be the end of privacy for patients and homeowners as we know it.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2012-HB-5286

If one of your legislators sits on the house judiciary committee, be sure to especially contact them to support it, as this is the next hurdle it needs to jump through before it reaches the house floor.

John J. Walsh (R), Committee Chair, 19th District
* Kurt Heise (R), Majority Vice-Chair, 20th District
Judson S. Gilbert II (R), 81st District
Kenneth B. Horn (R), 94th District
Kurt Damrow (R), 84th District
Paul Muxlow (R), 83rd District
Bradford C. Jacobsen (R), 46th District
Peter Pettalia (R), 106th District
Pat Somerville (R), 23rd District
Kevin Cotter (R), 99th District
Mark S. Meadows (D), Minority Vice-Chair, 69th District
Bob Constan (D), 16th District
Stacy Erwin Oakes (D), 95th District
Lisa Brown (D), 39th District
Jeff Irwin (D), 53rd District
Phil Cavanagh (D), 17th District
John Olumba (D), 5th District 

* Kurt Heise is the only person on the judiciary who has cosponsored this legislation.

A quick two minute phone call to their office and/or a personalized, short e-mail does wonders.

Theres a bill in the MI house that would require a background check to be performed on a person for the existence of their status in the medical marijuana registry before obtaining a search warrant to raid someone's house.

This would be a huge step in preventing unnecessary searches and seizures. It was introduced by a Democrat and is backed by THREE REPUBLICANS!

Surprisingly, at least one of these legislators cosponsoring it has traditionally not been downright counterproductive to medical marijuana, but everyone should be contacting their legislators regardless of who they are and their history with anti-pot laws and to put some support behind this common sense bill. If this passes, police will need more proof of criminal activity before busting down the door other than simply for example, suspicious odors, mold growth around the house, trimmings in the trash, etc.

Start contacting your lawmakers ASAP and get them behind this bill. I think both sides can agree that harassing medical marijuana patients on suspicion of nothing more than growing is a dangerous waste of time and money. If one of your lawmakers is listed as a sponsor, THANK THEM and tell them you like what they are doing. There is no reason we can't make this amendment into law and prevent growers from being needlessly harassed and to have their medicines uprooted.

Dont rely on a victory in November to completely legalize it to not take action and fix this part. We need to take baby steps and take whatever good things come out of the legislature. They might be changing their tune in part of the threat of a complete legalization in November.

http://legislature.m...px?2012-HB-5286

If one of your legislators sits on the house judiciary committee, be sure to especially contact them to support it, as this is the next hurdle it needs to jump through before it reaches the house floor.

John J. Walsh (R), Committee Chair, 19th District
* Kurt Heise (R), Majority Vice-Chair, 20th District
Judson S. Gilbert II (R), 81st District
Kenneth B. Horn (R), 94th District
Kurt Damrow (R), 84th District
Paul Muxlow (R), 83rd District
Bradford C. Jacobsen (R), 46th District
Peter Pettalia (R), 106th District
Pat Somerville (R), 23rd District
Kevin Cotter (R), 99th District
Mark S. Meadows (D), Minority Vice-Chair, 69th District
Bob Constan (D), 16th District
Stacy Erwin Oakes (D), 95th District
Lisa Brown (D), 39th District
Jeff Irwin (D), 53rd District
Phil Cavanagh (D), 17th District
John Olumba (D), 5th District 

* Kurt Heise is the only person on the judiciary who has cosponsored this legislation.

A quick two minute phone call to their office and/or a personalized, short e-mail does wonders.

You dont even have to say you are a patient or caregiver, just say that you support this legislation and you think its good common sense both sides can agree on.

There is nothing in the language offering protection to patients or that states they are to stop a search . It would be a portal for fishing expeditions which may injure patients . It does nothing but allow them to call the registry each time a warrant is sought . I would imagine if they found a cardholder there some would use it to search automatically to check for grow violations something they have been wanting to do but have not been able to so far . They have been trying to get warrantless searches of grows . This is against the beliefs of many and the main problem has been the abuse of patients during searches like happened to kingpin or Bob and Torrey .

It could be a good bill but it needs allot of work like attaching guarantees of patients to not have to go through normal arrest procedures allowing for , home arrest and a citation if their on the registry ..Since these are the weakest people often in the general population they could gaurantee the continuation of normal medication routines while in conflict with authorities but innocent until proven guilty . No more deaths should occur do to the punitive nature of paramillitary raids whose use could be restricted because of what happened to Mr Argo a true martyr that did nothing to deserve what occured and with patients causing death by stress and over activity is always possible , forseeable and in his instance most definitely caused by having his place destroyed and tossed creating physical work past his health capabillities necessary to just get into his bed a few days past major surgery as well as the stress of defending himself from arrest and court .

Shame on the State for not addressing what happened and educating Law Enforcement to stop it . I am upset just from hearing how a young man passed away trying to end rebound from a cold turkey opiate withdrawl situation forced on him by a rehab and supported by family that just doesn't know the situation persons find themselves in . he obviously needed a maintennce program with a long term taper or lifetime continuation . I know of another lady who had a hard drug problem who was cold turkeyed and died in Oakland County . There is no excuse for this . Even people with the best intentions like Amy Winehouse who refused to use her substance of abuse but died as a result can be saved if propertly cared for in relation to their reports of what is going on inside their bodies when people with common sense treat drug use as a medical problem and realize patients or even addicts have suffered enough . They need love and if a detox is comfortable it will take but is very time consuming and in patients case not always possible because were sick and in unsolvable intractable severe pain .

I support your concept but there is no instruction for the information to be used to protect patients . Infact as written it may only be used to further substanctiate tactical para miltary action to preserve evidence . Until their is instruction to protect and continue the normal care of patients I see no reason for this the Act already allows them to call upon being presented a card and the State should be required to man the phones 24/7 . They need a law to guarantee that it appears . This change to the act as I read it now would not guarantee in its form any special care at all and thus would not help patients other then making their Doctors information available and many may have several often working for hosptial systems that deny patients proper treatment now and whom will not write recommendations . They will not protect patients whom can not be jailed because proper care is not adminstred and or possible there within normal rules for healthy individuals . Practices that are pushed on patients now and have been for years . Further , many patients are using alternative care not supported by our managed care government in jail but it is very important to their existance and medical comfort . We are talking about people who scream in the night alone and suffering often without diagnosis or treatment available in our time this is why severe chronic pain must never be removed from the qualifying conditions . The system does not recognize mental pain and withdrawls for what it is cruel and unusual punishment and a unseen yet very real consequence felt by patients in our Judicial and Mental Health Systems based in zero tolerance practices written all through policy arrestee's are subjected too that are legal medical users now . Why change a patients medical routine because of a arrest that was previously written by a Doctor for a dependent medication ? It is discrimination and abuse when it is a legal FDA med . They have done it for decades . Patients need more real protections from policy that is injuring many , causing suffering in many involved and even killing some . Thanks for the post maybe we should discuss this more on the boards . .

There is nothing in the language offering protection to patients or that states they are to stop a search . It would be a portal for fishing expeditions which may injure patients . It does nothing but allow them to call the registry each time a warrant is sought . I would imagine if they found a cardholder there they would use it to search automatically to check for grow violations something they have been wanting to do but have not been able to so far . They have been trying to get warrantless searches of grows . This is against the beliefs of many and the main problem has been the abuse of patients during searches .

It could be a good bill but it needs allot of work like attaching guarantees of patients to not have to go through normal arrest procedures allowing for , home arrest and a citation if their on the registry ..Since these are the weakest people often in the general population they could gaurantee the continuation of normal medication routines while in conflict with authorities but innocent until proven guilty . No more deaths should occur do to the punitive nature of paramillitary raids whose use could be restricted because of what happened to Mr Argo a true martyr that did nothing to deserve what occured and with patients it is possible , forseeable and in his instance most definitely caused by having his place destroyed and tossed creating physical work past his health capabillities necessary to just get into his bed a few days past major surgery as well as the stress of defending himself from arrest and court . Shame on the State for not addressing what happened and educating Law Enforcement to stop it . I am upset just from hearing how a young man passed away trying to end rebound from a cold turkey opiate withdrawl situation forced on him by a rehab and supported by family that just doesn't know the situation persons find themselves in . he obviously needed a maintennce program with a long term taper or lifetime continuation . I know of another lady who had a hard drug problem who was cold turkeyed and died in Oakland County . There is no excuse for this . Even people with the best intentions like Amy Winehouse who refused to use her substance of abuse but died as a result can be saved if propertly cared for in relation to their reports of what is going on inside their bodies .

I support your concept but there is no instruction for the information to be used to protect patients . Infact as written it may only be used to further substanctiate tactical para miltary action to preserve evidence . Until their is instruction to protect and continue the normal care of patients I see no reason for this the Act already allows them to call upon being presented a card and the State should be required to man the phones 24/7 . They need a law to guarantee that it appears . This change to the act as I read it now would not guarantee in its form any special care at all and thus would not help patients other then making their Doctors information available and many may have several often working for hosptial systems that deny patients proper treatment now and whom will not write recommendations . They will not protect patients whom can not be jailed because proper care is not adminstred and or possible there within normal rules for healthy individuals . Many patients are using alternative care not supported by our managed care government but it is very important to their existance and medical comfort . The system does not recognize mental pain and withdrawls for what it is cruel and unusual punishment and a unseen yet very real consequence felt by patients in our Judicial and Mental Health Systems based in zero tolerance practices written all through policy arrestee's are subjected too that are legal medical users now . Thanks for the post .

i agree we don't need no Laws in any way keep the MMMA as is as soon as we say yes to any thing it will be over for us all i do agree some what with the first post call and call again and tell them you do not support any change's the the MMMA

this can be done with separate legislation, and while it does appear to help enforce LEO MUST contact the MMMP for Warrents, it doesn't address traffic stops, ect....

what is noted in the Amendment, should be a SOP of any LEO already. (SOP = Standard Operating Procedure).

Perhaps legislature should pressure LEO offices to draft NEW SOPs. That would go along way, and much much farther.

I commend our legislation for making what appears to be a needed amendment, but agree. no changes to the MMM Act of 08, Not a Period, Nor a Comma. if they would force implementation of the Full Act, and Make Appropriate SOP changes for corrisponding Offices, 98% of the grey areas would turn to blue skies and green bushes.

this can be done with separate legislation, and while it does appear to help enforce LEO MUST contact the MMMP for Warrents, it doesn't address traffic stops, ect....

what is noted in the Amendment, should be a SOP of any LEO already. (SOP = Standard Operating Procedure).

Perhaps legislature should pressure LEO offices to draft NEW SOPs. That would go along way, and much much farther.

I commend our legislation for making what appears to be a needed amendment, but agree. no changes to the MMM Act of 08, Not a Period, Nor a Comma. if they would force implementation of the Full Act, and Make Appropriate SOP changes for corrisponding Offices, 98% of the grey areas would turn to blue skies and green bushes.

i agree

Kiss your concealed weapons permit goodbye if this passes. Everyone who applies for their CCW gets their criminal history report read by the board before they approve the application. When your local gun board pulls up your criminal history and sees you are a cardholder it will result in a rejection of your CCW application.

I fear the 'reality' will be that the MMM Act 'will not' be 'directly' tampered with... it will be altered 'indirectly' by other legislation that weakens it into a meaningless law.

I have written my 'representatives', as I hope others have, and I greatly hope it will have an effect.

And right now our energies, I believe, 'should' be directed at doing what we can to keep and maintain the MMM Act.

But I also 'firmly' believe that in the end, after the MMM Act is pushed into 'legal limbo', we, the MMJ community will have no other choice but to support the 'full legalization of cannabis' if we want to be able to use cannabis as ''legal' medication.

But... Ever onward.

Kiss your concealed weapons permit goodbye if this passes. Everyone who applies for their CCW gets their criminal history report read by the board before they approve the application. When your local gun board pulls up your criminal history and sees you are a cardholder it will result in a rejection of your CCW application.

Any law that 'can' be abused and misused... WILL be abused and misused.

Positively quaranteeeeed!

Learn from AZ they went through same thing not sure on dates but AZ passed MM law like 10 yrs ago or more then legislature voted it out. So the people of AZ did a ballot initiative that basically said the the legislature cant change a ballot initiative. Then the people passed MM again in 2010. Exactly what we need and it would pass im sure much better chance to pass a ballot initiative that states the legislatures cant over turn the people.

Everyone watch closely. We will be reasonable, honest and rational. We will be right. So the fight will be down to whether the legislature intervenes to stop the oppression and civil rights violations or gives in to special interest. We are the sick. Our caregivers are poor and cannot afford lobbyist. But if they will listen, we will show them something seldom seen. People who have followed the law because it was the right thing to do. People who take care of each other, because it is the Golden Rule. People who will support those who supported us during the next election cycle. People who will work tirelessly to make sure that anyone who votes against our interest is unelectable. I had hoped to avoid the fight but it is what it is. Thanks, bb

thats it their are only a few people left here we must team up with others and fight together as one what happen to the MACC people were are they

will they help? just being right won't win this

am sorry we need a plan and not to post what they are i think they are using what they read here and they know are plans

when in war we can not let them know what the plan is imho

• 2 weeks later...

You need to edit this sentence or some people might encourage their legislators to support this bill in the confusion.

I have written to people here in Oakland County and it's obviously falling on deaf ears!! Not one response from anybody. I am starting to not like this county at all!!!!

Oakland County is the only county in Michigan that is polling pro-Romney.

What's that tell you about the kind of folks who live in Oakland County?

• torpid420 changed the title to Hb 5286:

Archived