State Supreme Court Signs Off On Detroit Decriminalization Initiative

As many recall, Tim Beck via the Coalition for a Safer Detroit started a ballot initiative to de-criminalize the possession of an ounce or less by an adult in the City of Detroit. While they collected all the signatures needed and they were verified, the City tried to prevent the initiative from being on the ballot. The City of Detroit took this all the way to the State Supreme Court and lost. Hopefully we will see the question on the ballot soon! Congratulations Tim Beck, Matt Abel and Tim Knowlton.

Order

June 1, 2012

145079 & (82)

COALITION FOR A SAFER DETROIT,

Plaintiff-Appellee,

v SC: 145079

COA: 300516

Wayne CC: 10-009328-AW

DETROIT CITY CLERK and DETROIT

ELECTION COMMISSION,

Defendants-Appellants.

_________________________________________/

On order of the Court, the motion for immediate consideration is GRANTED.

The application for leave to appeal the February 9, 2012 judgment of the Court of

Appeals is considered, and it is DENIED, because we are not persuaded that the question

presented should be reviewed by this Court.

Michigan Supreme Court clears way to let Detroiters vote on legalizing marijuana

http://www.freep.com/article/20120602/NEWS01/206020372/Michigan-Supreme-Court-clears-way-to-let-Detroiters-vote-on-legalizing-marijuana

After a nearly two-year legal battle, the Michigan Supreme Court cleared the way Friday for a referendum question that could make Detroit the state's first city to legalize marijuana.

Voters in the Aug. 7 primary election can expect to see the question -- asking them to legalize possession and use of up to 1 ounce of the drug, on private property, by those 21 and older, said Tim Beck, a Detroiter who heads the referendum group Coalition for a Safer Detroit.

"A long trail of voter abuse by the City of Detroit has come to an end," said Beck, 60, in an e-mail to supporters.

"We got everything right. Our petitions were flawless," said Beck, a medical-marijuana user who owns Michigan Benefit Providers, a Detroit consulting firm.

In a brief order Friday, the Supreme Court denied the city's motion for immediate consideration of its appeal.

A longtime advocate of legalizing the drug, Beck also backed passage in November of a referendum in Kalamazoo, which made arrests for pot possession that city's lowest priority. "Voters are saying that we just can't afford this type of policing anymore," he said.

A spokeswoman for Mayor Dave Bing said Friday that he had no comment.

Unavailable for comment Friday, according to a representative, was City Council President Charles Pugh, who was outspoken in his opposition to the proposal in 2010, when it came before the City Council.

Pugh, as chairman of the Detroit Election Commission, was part of the commission's 3-0 vote in August 2010 to block the referendum from city ballots.

That vote triggered the legal battle that led to a state Court of Appeals ruling in February that rebuffed the city and said the ballot question should be allowed. The city's appeal of that decision took the dispute to the state Supreme Court.

Marijuana supporters, including those who use the drug as medicine, hailed Friday's decision.

"Anything that keeps law enforcement away from patients and caregivers is good," said Steven Greene, host of the weekly Medical Marijuana Radio Show, at noon Saturdays on WDTW-AM (1310).

Detroit police spokeswoman Sgt. Eren Stephens said Friday that the department would adapt to legalization "if it's handled in an appropriate way, and this is what the citizens of Detroit choose."

Sent from Jamie's iPhone

My, oh my, the Supreme Court is on an MMJ roll!

I'm thinking someone who sits on the high court had their prostate cancer cured with some Simpson Oil.

Nothing changes a Judges mind like having their life saved, or that of a loved one.

Just keeps getting better and better ehh, one fight at a time, one win at a time. The Supreme Court is doing the right thing, I have a renewed faith in this Medical Marijuana law, its so refreshing to see the courts finally coming around and standing up for the voters of their state.

Congrats to everyone involved, thank you for helping me re-think my status as a PT here in Michigan. I am starting to feel like I/We have protection before I/We have to pay out the butt to head to circuit court, and all that comes with the trauma of that. Hopefully these cases will be dismissed directly at the district level, or even prevent marijuana arrests all together ..

Trix

:bong2:

Has anyone seen why this question will be on the August ballot rather than November?

And why is Pugh so against this... it seems to me that marginalized classes of people--especially those who often use the term "open-minded"-- would be more open-minded to other marginalized classes.

Has anyone seen why this question will be on the August ballot rather than November?

And why is Pugh so against this... it seems to me that marginalized classes of people--especially those who often use the term "open-minded"-- would be more open-minded to other marginalized classes.

The reason it was thought to be in August is because it is when the next election is scheduled. It was assumed that since it was cleared and the next opportunity to vote is in August, it would show up then. However, I believe that the timing was such that the initiative could not be ready for the August elections, so it will be up for consideration, in the more desirable, November elections.

Edited by jamieuke