Clare County Compassion Busted?

Please explain to me how my Aunt, which is coming into the state next week and has just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer in late stage 3, is supposed to "Legally and Safely Acquire" the meds she needs?

Ask a Lawyer .. i would suggest

Good question, perhaps it would be best to have her own? Second best would be for a legal patient to give her some free of charge. Absolutely best advice is ask a lawyer, especially if travelling through non-legal states (Like Texas)

Dr. Bob

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while.. guess with that one this will close.... lol

no bro they wont close it unless some one they dont like makes a bad statement or get personal on some one, cav is right in this instance! ya have to read his posts, he is not your regular pt, he knows the law and proper english and spelling and what he says i usualy have to agree with, peace sj!

May I ask, Do you, as a Dr. have the ability to work for Any Medical Facility that will Hire you? That is, considering your License from the State Board is Current?

I guess I am Asking, as a State Licenced Dr, do you have to do anything specific to work with a Patient? any Patient?

As an Insurance Sales Agent, I have to hold a License with the State. That License allows me to deal with insurance specific situations with anyone in the state.

Now, if the State mandated I coud only underwrite policies to Citizens in the State of Michigan, then I would be restricted to those individuals that are ONLY Citizens of Michigan. If they further stated I could only offer policies for those with a Active State Drivers License, then I would be restricted to that group.

But until the State mandates I, as an authroized LIA, must only work with a specific class of a group of people, then I have the ability to underwrite LIPs to anyone that desires one, and can pay the monthly premiums.

Speaking of Groups. A Group Medical Policy is basically what the medican marihuna act is. It creates a Group of Citizens that have specific medical needs.

Now, the Insurance Industry is very well regulated (too much in favor of the Companies if you ask me personally) If one person of that group is allowed to have a benefit, then all participants of that group is allowed the same benefit.

The Law passed creates one group, with 4 sub catagories. Patients, Caregivers, Minor Patients, and Visiting Patients, but all participants are part of the same Lead Group.

it further creates two classes. registered, and not register, but again, these people are too under the same Lead Group.

Let me ask you my good Dr. How would you bill insurance companies (providing covering cannabis health sciences was allowed) for your services and determine the medication they need? And would it be right for that patient to only be allowed to fill that Cannabis RX at just one location? or any reasonable pharmacy?

I may like this place.

im far from a lawyer, but I do know how to read! I can cook anything if I have a recipee! I can do anything if I have the rite tools and directions, the law clearly states a c.g must be connected thru the registry, not every one in the registry! you are only connected to the person on the back of your c.g or pt card! end of it! it is the law if ya dont like it dont be legal any longer and dont get the bawhahahahahah protections it provides! lmao

Peace have a great weekend!

Jim

im far from a lawyer, but I do know how to read! I can cook anything if I have a recipee! I can do anything if I have the rite tools and directions, the law clearly states a c.g must be connected thru the registry, not every one in the registry! you are only connected to the person on the back of your c.g or pt card! end of it! it is the law if ya dont like it dont be legal any longer and dont get the bawhahahahahah protections it provides! lmao

Peace have a great weekend!

Jim

well Jim i do and don't agree but am not a judge and i have heard what they say many times and they are the one's that count

so why are the dispensaries still open?

well Jim i do and don't agree but am not a judge and i have heard what they say many times and they are the one's that count

so why are the dispensaries still open?

I dont know bro! I hope I didnt say something to make you mad, cause I have the utmost respect for you, You stuck it out! you are the man, Im sorry for what you have been thru over 3 1/2 yrs!

I cant even imagine 3 1/2 yrs, wow, I know what it is like to wait on court dates with your fate in the hands of others, and god it blows! but not for that long!

Thank You bob, You are a trooper and will make a big/great difference for those behind you!

Thank you!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

So why are the dispensaries still open? many reasons ,, the best one is that the local PA is not interested in prosecuting MM Now if your in a county that the PA does not like MM you will not see many dispensaries like Oakland county, It still all has to be decided in the supreme court,

As it looks now Clare county does not like dispensaries 3 shut down in the last week

Edited by cristinew

I dont know bro! I hope I didnt say something to make you mad, cause I have the utmost respect for you, You stuck it out! you are the man, Im sorry for what you have been thru over 3 1/2 yrs!

I cant even imagine 3 1/2 yrs, wow, I know what it is like to wait on court dates with your fate in the hands of others, and god it blows! but not for that long!

Thank You bob, You are a trooper and will make a big/great difference for those behind you!

Thank you!

Peace

Jim

of course you didn't make me mad we do thank you for your support Jim

So why are the dispensaries still open? many reasons ,, the best one is that the local PA is not interested in prosecuting MM Now if your in a county that the PA does not like MM you will not see many dispensaries like Oakland county, It still all has to be decided in the supreme court,

As it looks now Clare county does not like dispensaries 3 shut down in the last week

i understand that and the Ferndal case also got dismissed (oakland county)

HAYES TOWNSHIP, MI — A mid-Michigan man who was arrested and charged with illegal marijuana sales last week said he uses marijuana to manage chronic pain and wants to help others who are in pain gain access to the plant.

The half-brother of Anna Nicole Smith, Donnie Hogan said he believes marijuana is a safe alternative to narcotic painkillers.

“I’ve got nothing to hide,” said Hogan, 38.

He and his wife, Billie Jo, owners of Mid-Michigan Care Givers Club, were arrested Thursday, June 14, and charged with the illegal sale of marijuana.

Hogan said he has a hereditary condition that causes chronic pain, and he suspects his half-sister, Anna Nicole Smith, could have had the same illness.

Hogan said he believes state law allows the business to facilitate transfers between caregivers, aka growers, and medical marijuana patients.

The club is in Clare County’s Hayes Township.

“We’re strictly nonprofit,” he said. “Any caregiver can use it. It’s a place where a caregiver can get information, learn to grow and get clones.”

Club policy: Donnie Hogan

A marijuana cardholder walks in.

“I’m out of meds,” he says. “I have $200 to donate.”

The club contacts one of its members to see who can supply the weed.

The patient and caregiver meet at the club and make an exchange.

If the caregiver chooses to do so, he can make a donation to the club.

The club also gets donated marijuana that is sometimes given away to patients in need for free.

It’s also where a caregiver can accept a donation in exchange for a gram or a few ounces of marijuana.

Hogan said the club does not take a cut of the transactions, but it does accept donations of cash and other items, including air hockey tables, from the 80-plus members in the community.

“And growing,” he said.

He expects a lot of them will be at the courthouse as his case proceeds. The couple is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in the 80th District Court on June 25.

The club and its members often give free marijuana and edibles to patients in need, he said.

The arrests Thursday came after the club supplied a patient with an ounce of marijuana, Hogan said. The patient, who Hogan said he knew well, told the couple that her normal caregiver was out of town and she needed the marijuana.

After receiving the free ounce, the patient drove away from the club and was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy, Hogan said.

After speaking with the driver, officers came to the caregivers club and made the arrests, Hogan said.

During a search of the business, Hogan said deputies found two ounces of “smokeable” marijuana and one plant that was used for display at the club, he said.

At the couple’s house nearby, they found “about 2 ounces” of stems and marijuana leaf clippings, Hogan said, which he usually turns into edible items.

Hogan said he was at the business at the time of the transfer, but he was playing pool in another room.

“They took my Mustang that I paid for a long time ago with my own money,” Hogan said. “I’m not sure why they took the car or why they took me.”

The couple recently opened another caregivers club in Gladwin, and Hogan said he would like to open many more to help others in need of medication gain access to the plant.

He said medical marijuana laws in Michigan are “messed up” and confusing, adding that it seems law enforcement officials, attorneys and others close to the subject have different interpretations of how the law applies.

Many friends and medical marijuana supporters have called to show support for Hogan since the arrests, he said.

“I just want them to sup the cause,” he said. “If (police) are doing this to us, and we’re supposedly going by the book, who else are they going to go after?

“But what is the book?” Hogan said. “What’s going on here?”

Family history

Hogan is the half-brother of Anna Nicole Smith, who died Feb. 8, 2007, due to an accidental overdose.

Born Vickie Lynn Hogan and later changing her name after her first marriage, Smith did not know who her father was while growing up, Hogan said.

When she was about 23, she was modeling for Guess Jeans and hired someone to help her find out who her father was. She also found out Hogan, 17 at the time, was her half-brother, he said.

“She didn’t even tell me who she was until she flew us out to LA,” Hogan said.

She was fairly well-known in Hollywood already, he said, and soon she was picked up to pose in "Playboy."

Smith was a Playboy centerfold in June 1992 and was Playmate of the Year in 1993, Hogan said, remembering parties at the Playboy Mansion, going to MTV events and hanging out with rock stars and Playboy playmates.

He said he often would meet Smith and stay at her ranch home in Houston, where she shot some films for Playboy.

“We got to be pretty close,” he said. “We were down to earth with each other.”

donnie-and-danieljpg-98919d88b3be5ce8.jpg

Courtesy photo

Donnie Hogan and Daniel Smith.

Another favorite time was when Hogan went to Disneyland with Smith and her son, Daniel, who was about 7 at the time. He remembers everyone asking to take a picture with the rising star and having fun taking Daniel on many rides.

Smith started getting some offers for film roles, Hogan said, noting Smith “was kicking herself” because she chose a role in Naked Gun 33 1/3 instead of taking a role offered to star in “The Mask,” opposite a then somewhat unknown Jim Carrey.

“Me and (Anna) were pretty tight,” Hogan said. “Oh man, back in the day, when she was Playmate of the Year and all that, it was awesome as a young kid to experience that.”

After the early '90s, the two grew apart a little, Hogan said, but they still would speak occasionally.

The last time Hogan heard from Anna was in 2004, he said, when she called to say she loved him and to catch up.

Smith’s son, Daniel, died in 2006 of a drug overdose, Hogan said. Smith was dead the next year, also from an overdose.

Sometime after her death, Hogan moved to Michigan.

Hogan had been dealing with physical pain for a few years that grew more intense as he aged, he said.

It took visits to several doctors before he got the necessary test and was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, Hogan said, a long-term debilitating disease that causes inflammation of the joints between the spinal bones and the joints between the spine and pelvis, which eventually can cause spinal bones to fuse together.

Hogan was taking pills such as hydrocodone to dull the pain, but decided to switch to marijuana when he feared overdosing.

“I didn’t want to go to bed and not wake up,” he said.

The debilitating disease makes it hard for him to walk sometimes, Hogan said, and he is in constant severe pain.

“Marijuana doesn’t take the pain away, but neither do painkillers,” he said. “But (marijuana) sure takes my mind off it and makes me not want to kill myself practically.”

He wonders if Smith could have had the same condition, though he believes she never was tested for the disease, he said.

“We had a lot of things in common,” Hogan said. “She was always hurting, always in pain.”

Their father, Donald Hogan, also suffered from ankylosing spondylitis, which is hereditary.

“Marijuana definitely helps me. If she would have taken marijuana at night instead of (prescription drugs), maybe she would still be here,” Donnie Hogan said.

Related: Anna Nicole Smith's daughter asks, "Why did mommy die?"

“If she was in any pain like me, it would take a lot (of painkillers) to go to sleep,” he said.

Hogan’s great-aunt also died of an overdose.

Hogan’s wife, Billie Jo, helps him overcome the debilitation, he said. As she became involved in the world of medical marijuana, the couple decided to create the Mid-Michigan Care Givers Club. The couple believes in the club’s mission of helping those in need receive the marijuana that helps them for a variety of medical conditions.

They have been meeting with attorneys, and Hogan said he hopes his court case will lead to changes in the state’s marijuana laws.

“I want a lawyer that’s hungry, that’s gonna fight this all the way to the Supreme Court if need be,” he said.

Their arrests were followed by an arrest at another Clare County marijuana clubWednesday.

They opened the doors of the club days after their arrests, and they are in the process of opening another club in Gladwin.

“What can they really do? It’s my right,” Hogan said when asked if he is afraid that police will arrest him again on more charges. “If they want to come and get me again, come get me. I’ll just get out again.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/06/anna_nicole_smiths_half-brothe.html

Edited by bobandtorey

Well thank you for mentioning that the stems and leaves were being turned in to meds, nice argument for LEO that all trimmings are usable marijuana. Don't really see how Anna Nichole Smith has anything to do with this, and I am glad they enjoyed Disneyland.

I think this illustrates how careful you need to be about accepting 'donations' in exchange for marijuana. Give them the benifit of the doubt, but lets see what the facts of the situation are before condeming them or holding a rally for them.

Dr. Bob

Most recent comment on the story in MLive....

Marijuana needs to be legalized... and then taxed similar to tobacco and hard liquor. It's called sin tax. Let's face it, many cardholders have gamed the system and are really just recreational users. Also, if you have a family history of mental illness or are prone to mental illness, Marijuana can act as a trigger. Contact the UMHS Depression Center in Ann Arbor for more details or help.

I wonder if this comment came from one of the 63%? How common is this thought in the non-marijuana community and what are we doing to change that thinking?

Edited by Dr. Bob

Fight it hard and long.

The state has DEEP pockets when it comes to prosecuting patients and caregivers.

Good luck, you will need it.

Hopefully you with prevail.

To all the naysayers, I may have been mistaken when I voted for the Act.

Had I Not thought this was permissible (p2p, cg2p) I would have voted No.

This Act is a Joke that had been laughed at and trampled on by most prosecutors and judges in the state.

Good luck with the affirmative defense route.

Ask Bob and Torey how that works.

My card expires in 57 days. The state will not receive another cent from me.

I think I will be one of the unregistered patient now.

My2¢… Wrong or Right.

Yeah doc I understand what you're saying.

It seems to me that's too bad the card never worked as it was intended. It feels to me more like a target then a protection.

I am self medicated for almost 30 years now No protection from the state.

I think I will be fine.

How the feds even know that I am a cannibis consumer now. Right along with the other 100,000 Patients.

I sure am glad I fell for this trick.

Unless the supreme court steps m, I feel this will be nothing but a snare for people.

Look at all the people who have been arrested who thought they were in compliance.

Albee on ambiguous compliance statements Mean nothing.

If the police want to arrest you, you will go to jail And have to fight for your life and freedom.

If I'm going to be arrested for breaking the law I would rather know that I'm breaking the law then to think that I am not.

Respectfully

Ilynnboy

it is best to be legal, if you qualify get your card and save yourself a bunch of head aches! this site is watched by leo and they can find out who we are quicker than i can walk up my stairs to use the restroom and get back to my office!

Im pissed, im pissed! but im legal and being legal saved me 3 times, not big offenses, just simple possesion, and because of the fact ive had another simple possesion charge yrs ago, my simple possesion charges since becoming legal were felony's, I do not want a felony on my record, I stay within the law, I have no stems or leaves, if you are going to make tinctures, oil, medibles, you realy should do it often if you are growing and have the sugar leaf and lil buds, leo will weigh it and it will go against your 2.5 usable, its not hard to be compliant with the law, but it is hard to be arrested when you were within the law!

I would much rather have my card and stay within my limits than not have my card, and still stay within the legal limits, You have a much better chance of case getting dropped being legal and within your limits!

I know alot, too many folks been arrested within their limits and with their recs,app and or card! and it sucks, like mentioned I guess it matters where you live at this time, should not be that way, and it wont be like this forever! some one is gonna sue a county or the state and win and it will make things different now!

Be legal and dont tell any one your business!

I wish you luck either way you choose to go this time around!

Peace

Jim

I have a question to ask.

How do you feel about the card and the act now Bob?

When I say Bob I mean Bob from bobandtorey, I have agreed with 99.99 percent off everything he has said.

So what do you think Bob?

Did you renew?

Do you think the Act is a Very misleading law?

Knowing what you know now, would you have gotten your card to begin with?

I Look forward to hearing your opinions if you state them, as I Respect your opinions on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Medical marijuana rally cancelled due to cease and desist order http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/07/medical_marijuana_rally_cancel.html

HARRISON, MI — A medical marijuana rally planned for Saturday in Clare County has been canceled after organizers said they received a cease and desist letter from Hayes Township.

Billie Jo Hogan, co-owner of Mid-Michigan Caregiver's Club in Harrison along with her husband, Donnie Hogan, said they received the order against the rally on Thursday.

"I am taking my lawyer's advice and not having the rally," Billie Jo Hogan said.

She added that organizers thought they were in compliance after speaking with township officials.

Officials were not available for comment Friday night.

The cease and desist order said the event could not be held because organizers did not have permits to serve food and provide camping, Billie Jo Hogan said.

After receiving the order from a police officer, the Hogans met again with township officials and asked if they could hold the event with pre-packaged food and no camping, and the township said yes, Hogan said, but the couple is still scared they will be targeted if they hold the rally.

Donnie and Billie Jo Hogan are being charged with illegal marijuana sales after being arrested at Mid-Michigan Caregiver's Club on June 14.

After the cease and desist letter this week, they said they didn't have time to react and reluctantly began notifying supporters that the rally was cancelled.

"We have been scrambling to figure out what to do and it is a shame to know know that once again our little non-profit club has been targeted for doing something for the community," Billie Jo Hogan said.

"This was a family thing," Donnie Hogan said. "It was about families, it wasn't about who smokes what, you know? It was about giving back to families and the community."

Mid-Michigan Caregivers Club will still host a doctor to give medical marijuana recommendations on Sunday, Donnie Hogan said, though the couple believes authorities are watching them closely.

"There's no law against it," Donnie Hogan said.

Donnie Hogan said he'll ask supporters to instead join him in the courtroom during a preliminary hearing on Wednesday, July 18.

"We couldn't fill this up," Donnie Hogan said, "so we'll just fill the courtroom up."

Earlier (5:20 p.m.)

A man and his wife, charged with illegal marijuana sales, will rally with members of their caregivers club and others in support of medical marijuana as they wait for their next court date.

Donnie Hogan and his wife, Billie Jo, owners of Mid-Michigan Care Givers Club, were arrested Thursday, June 14, and charged with the illegal sale of marijuana.

Clare County Prosecutor Michelle Ambrozaitis said the couple was in violation of the act because they sold marijuana to a patient that did not have either of them designated as her caregiver.

Donnie Hogan, who said he suffers from a hereditary condition that causes chronic pain, believes he and his wife did nothing wrong when they gave a medical marijuana patient an ounce of the herb.

The rally will be held at the club, 3514 North Clare, in Harrison beginning at 2 p.m. and will include speakers from the Michigan Cannabis Cancer Project and testimonials from other marijuana clubs in the area, Billie Jo Hogan said.

A vigil for patients who have lost or are still fighting health battles will be held near dark, Billie Jo Hogan said.

“That is what the rally is about, it’s about patients, to stop the gossip and show the public what we are fighting for,” Hogan said. “We are honestly fighting for the right reasons.”

There will be three bands playing and poets reading to the crowd and informational flyers will be distributed, she said.

The Hogans encourage marijuana patients and caregivers to attend, along with their families, and any other supporters of the medical marijuana cause.

Face painting, balloons and games will be held for children and camping will be available nearby with a free breakfast for campers on Sunday morning, Hogan said.

The couple’s lawyer, Jeffery Weberman, has instructed them not to talk about the case. He confirmed that they will be in court on Wednesday, July 18, for a preliminary hearing.

Brad Devereaux Email |

Facebook | Twitter | 989-372-2442

• 7 months later...