New Jersey Governor Questions Allowing Children Into Medical Marijuana Program

trix

New Jersey Governor Questions Allowing Children Into Medical Marijuana Program

On Sunday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie told the press that he is “not inclined” to allow children to participate in the state’s medical marijuana program.

The comment was sparked by the story of 2-year-old Vivian Wilson, who suffers from a rare and serious form of epilepsy.  Under New Jersey state law,  children may receive medical marijuana as long as they get approval from a pediatrician, a psychiatrist, and the child’s physician before the family can purchase the marijuana on the child’s behalf.

The Wilsons enrolled Vivian in the medical marijuana program in February and received her card from the Health Department, but they are unable to get her medical marijuana because they cannot find a psychiatrist to support her medical marijuana use.  The Wilsons are asking lawmakers to make an exception for Vivian and other seriously ill children who are not helped by traditional pharmaceuticals.

In regards to the Wilsons, Governor Christie said, “I have the health commissioner looking at that particular situation and making recommendations to me.  But I will tell you– I’ve said this all along and I’ll say it again– I want New Jersey to be a compassionate state.  And for people who this is your only option to get pain relief, for those who are terminally ill and chronically ill, we’ve authorized it.

“But I am not going to allow New Jersey to become a California or a Colorado where someone can fake a headache and get a bag of pot on every corner.  So I’m very concerned, if we go down this slope of allowing minors to use this, where it ends.  So I’ll have the health commissioner look at it, report back to me, but I don’t want to mislead people either, I’m not inclined to let them have it.”

Brian Wilson, Vivian’s father, spoke out against Christie’s statements.  He said, “Children’s lives are being saved in Colorado and California.  If Christie is against that, then what is he advocating?  Death?  Brain damage?”

[Source]

Trix

:bong2:

The drug has been proven, over centuries, to be benign and innocuous. What are they afraid of? I always was under the impression that the government knew something secret about marijuana that it was, for some reason, afraid or unwilling to reveal. I no longer believe this. I think that they have been just as susceptible to the wild propaganda thrown about regarding cannabis as the rest of the country.