Courts, Us Public At Odds Over Worker Firings

trix

Courts, US Public at Odds Over Worker Firings

Colorado -- A worker in Colorado who undergoes a random drug test is found to test positive for marijuana use, but in less than a month pot-smoking will legal in there. Can a company with a zero-tolerance policy for illegal drug use still fire that worker, or should it instead adjust its policy on employee drug use?

That's just one of many questions that employers in both Colorado and the state of Washington are wrestling with as they adjust to new marijuana laws, which as of Jan. 1 will permit individuals to buy and possess up to an ounce of pot.

Read More...

A close acquaintance of mine went for a interview at gordons food.. the job paid $8 a hr. and they took a hair sample from this person.. they went back 8 months and found trace amounts of Marijuana.. and needless to say he didnt get the job.

I was amazed that for a $8 an hr job  that they would spend the money on a hair test, crazy in my eyes..

According to this article: Federal Law places few limits on employer drug testing: Although the federal government requires testing by employers in a few safety-sensitive industries (including transportation, aviation, and contractors with NASA and the Department of Defense), federal law doesn’t otherwise require – or prohibit drug tests. For the most part, state and local laws determine whether an employer may test employees and applicants for drugs. And in Michigan:

Workplace Drug Testing in Michigan
Michigan has no statute addressing drug testing in private employment.

Legal Claims for Drug Testing

Because Michigan law doesn’t put any limits on workplace drug testing, employees who believe their test was illegal will have to rely on other legal theories. For example, an employer may run into legal trouble based on who is tested or how the test is conducted. Here are some examples: Here

Joe Casias v sMall Mart review

Edited by solabeirtan

And I thought with moving to Michigan I could go and get a job without a problem.  I guess now I can apply for any job without a worry.  Just when I thought I could become part of society again, oh well.  And they wonder why we hate them so.

The reason there is a stigma with pot smokers being lazy and not working isn't because they don't want to work, it's because they can't.  Gotta keep those druggies from working to keep up stereotypes.

Edited by Norby