Driver Arrested Under Ohio Law Making 'hidden' Compartments A Felony

Driver Arrested Under Ohio Law Making 'Hidden' Compartments A Felony

Ohio police arrested a driver because his car contained a compartment that could theoretically store illegal drugs, though no drugs were found at the time.

http://crooksandliars.com/2013/12/driver-arrested-under-ohio-law-making Video at link.

A search didn’t find any drugs on a 30-year-old Michigan man, but that didn’t stop police from making him the first person in the state to be arrested for violating a relatively new law that purportedly seeks to combat drug trafficking by prohibiting the use of vehicles containing hidden compartments.

WKYC-TV reports 30-year-old Norman Gurley was originally pulled over for speeding in Lorain County, Ohio Tuesday when State Highway Patrol troopers noticed wires running to the back of his car. “During the search, they noticed some components inside the vehicle that did not appear to be factory,” Lt. Michael Combs told WKYC. Even though Gurley did not have any illegal drugs or weapons in the car, he was still arrested due to the state’s “hidden compartment” law, becoming the first person to be arrested under this law in the state.

The law states: “No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance,” a felony of the fourth degree, a violation punishable by up to 18 months in prison. Yet according to the law, it’s unclear if troopers were even in the right. Sec. 2923.241 (I) of the law states it “does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms,” as long as said container “does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.”

The new law was sponsored by Ohio State Senators Hughes ®, and Patton ®. The ACLU of Ohio took issue with the law last year stating it was “an unnecessary and unproductive expansion of law. Drug trafficking is already prohibited under Ohio law, so there is no use for shifting the focus to the container. Further by focusing on the container itself, this bill criminalizes a person with prior felony drug trafficking convictions simply for driving a car with a hidden compartment, regardless of whether or not drugs or even drug residue are present.” -

Combs says the compartment was big enough to hold "several pounds" of drugs. “We apparently caught them between runs, so to speak, so this takes away one tool they have in their illegal trade,” Combs told WKYC. “The law does help us and is on our side. Gurley was released after posting bond.

I love how the pigs and the reporters just assume the guy is guilty as heck.

Ahh well, we all know what a piece of crap state OHIO is.  Sad thing is, Republican legislatures all over the country are doing similar things.  No regulations for private prisons because free market ya know, but heaven forbid you have an extra space in your vehicle. That is a felony!  Starving and beating the crap out of people in Prison; fine and dandy. Doing nothing illegal,... we best put a stop to that! You MIGHT be doing something wrong and we caught you.

Now we are going to send you to private prison spomsored by Republican Judges, Prosecutors and legislatures.

Bah.

Few of my friends have costum bumpers for silver lake that hold compressed air, sub woofer boxes for bass competitions, aftermarket t.v's in head rests, fuel cells for race cars, sand rails, the list goes on, Ohio just don't like Michigan, if he would have not waived his right to a search, perhaps he would have been fine, or like Bob stated, maybe he didn't know that was a LAW.. I sure wouldn't have.

Few of my friends have costum bumpers for silver lake that hold compressed air, sub woofer boxes for bass competitions, aftermarket t.v's in head rests, fuel cells for race cars, sand rails, the list goes on, Ohio just don't like Michigan, if he would have not waived his right to a search, perhaps he would have been fine, or like Bob stated, maybe he didn't know that was a LAW.. I sure wouldn't have.

You don't know he voluntarily gave up his consent to search.  Cops do what they want.

Maybe we should arrest every person that has a private plane. They MAY be guilty of Bank Fraud ya know.  I mean, why else would someone have a private plane. :-)

But yea,... I had to post this one.  When I read it, i was like WTF!

I here some even took the private plans to the White House and ask for $$ for a bail out

Thanks Bob, and Thank You for your service to the Michigam Medical Marijuana community.

Going to court hearings to support patients and caregivers in court must be disheartening.

Blessings be to you and yours from the Most High Jah.

Keep your spirits and your eyes up on a higher plane, your service is noticed and not just by me.

Jah Bless

D' Ilynnboy

One day we shall be free from these Shackles that our oppressors have saddled us in.

One Love to All

He is Love- Spread it far and wide.

Even to our oppressors for they are Children of the Most High such as we are.

Edited by ilynnboy