More Than Zero: Reclassifying Marijuana Could Have A Significant Impact On Drug Policy

bobandtorey

Ever since Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in 1970, drug policy reformers have complained that marijuana does not belong on Schedule I, the statute’s most restrictive drug category. Schedule I ostensibly is reserved for drugs with a “high potential for abuse” that have “no currently accepted medical use” and are so dangerous that they cannot be used safely, even under medical supervision.

It is highly debatable, to say the least, that marijuana meets any of those criteria, let alone all three. But over the years, most recently in 2011, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) hasrepeatedly rejected petitions asking it to take marijuana off Schedule I, where it sits alongside heroin and LSD, above supposedly safer drugs such as cocaine, morphine, and methamphetamine.

In light of President Obama’s recent observation that marijuana is safer than alcohol, CNN’s Jake Tapper wondered if he was open to reconsidering marijuana’s status as a Schedule I drug. When Tapper asked him that in aninterview that aired last week, Obama derailed the conversation by denyingthat the executive branch has the power to reclassify marijuana.

That clearly is not true, since the CSA gives the attorney general the authority to move drugs between schedules. The attorney general has delegated that authority to the DEA (a division of the Justice Department), which is why that agency has been the recipient of petitions urging it to put marijuana in a less restrictive category.

Read more here

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/02/07/more-than-zero-reclassifying-marijuana-would-have-a-significant-impact-on-drug-policy/

uummmmmm. one point, and I see it EVERYWHERE, including above.

COCAINE HCL is, and has always been, a schedule II narcotic

HCL signifies cocaine hydrochloride, the normal, familiar powder form of cocaine.

only cocaine base, AKA crack cocaine, is schedule I, even though it's the exact same drug, with a different pH

Yep, and mushrooms, peyote and LSD is highly addictive?  In other countries they pick psychadelic mushrooms and eat them without fear of arrest?  Lots of europeons give a confused look when possessing mushrooms that grow in your backyard can land you in jail for a looong time.

This is the problem.  Sen from Tennessee said it best when some law enforcement head dodged the which is more dangerous Heroin or mj question.  He said that this is the problem.  Any 12 year old can tell you which is worse.  This is why we have a problem, people have lost respect for the law because they don't act according to danger, just incarceration.  I'm paraphrasing and probably adding some in myself from my interpretation.

Good thread Bob!

It is unbelievable that mj is a sched 1. shed 1 was for the gov to be able to make something They feel uncontrolable ilegal over nite, once something is a schedual 1 it is ilegal and that is that!

What realy has me wondering is How is there more $ against it, than for it (legalization)?

I mean its not like I want government to have complete say so like they do with every thing else,,,I cant believe they dont think america can bring jobs and taxes In from cannibiss. For medical and commercial and everything else that can be done with this plant, If the government wants to make its lower class slaves they may as well give them jobs and use us for a good thing, why cant the U.S say we do not let no countrys ship there cannibiss to the U.S and only Let Ours go out of the U.S? Only Exports No Imports :)

As far as cannabiss goes, Like the old days in the car industry, Only American Made!

American Grown and manufactured!

Oh its free to dream!

Peace

The DEA will never reschedule cannabis

i agree. unless obama puts a new DEA head in there. does congress have to approve his dea appointment?

its up to president, congress or the atty general.

congress? i guess 1 in a million chance for this.

atty general ? i dont see it happening.

obama ? fed up with congress using that pen to make an executive order? 

chances are slim to none for all of these choices.

Edited by t-pain

i agree. unless obama puts a new DEA head in there. does congress have to approve his dea appointment?

its up to president, congress or the atty general.

congress? i guess 1 in a million chance for this.

atty general ? i dont see it happening.

obama ? fed up with congress using that pen to make an executive order?

chances are slim to none for all of these choices.

Yes Congress has to Chang the CSA if the President does it that won't help any at all