Wasn't Sure Where Else To Post This (Getting More Involved)

I'm up in Wexford, so a ways away.

Towards Jointed, I'd prefer to have a good relationship with a caregiver if I were to choose one ever again, just a preference. But again, this isn't about me getting another caregiver for myself, in fact I'd much rather not do that again.

In regards to my growing ideas, I'm a particularly branch minded individual, I'd like to grow using as FEW clones as possible, if possible. I just like the thought of growing them each from seed. I really want to grow as many strains as I can, trying new ones as often as possible. Sure, I'll keep in mind some favorites, but like I said I'd really prefer to have a broader range overall. I'm a sucker for choice, that being said: Nutrients for Hydro..I'm thinking about using Advanced Nutrients (PH perfect line I'm told is a good starting point), but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions? 

Example;

A caregiver agrees to grow medical cannabis for a patient and the patient never intends to pay for any of it.

Here's another the patient gets a caregiver with some type of arrangement involving free meds, and then gets another caregiver and another.  Oops the patient you thought was yours really isn't.

Towards Jointed, I'd prefer to have a good relationship with a caregiver if I were to choose one ever again, just a preference. But again, this isn't about me getting another caregiver for myself, in fact I'd much rather not do that again.

In regards to my growing ideas, I'm a particularly branch minded individual, I'd like to grow using as FEW clones as possible, if possible. I just like the thought of growing them each from seed. I really want to grow as many strains as I can, trying new ones as often as possible. Sure, I'll keep in mind some favorites, but like I said I'd really prefer to have a broader range overall. I'm a sucker for choice, that being said: Nutrients for Hydro..I'm thinking about using Advanced Nutrients (PH perfect line I'm told is a good starting point), but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions? 

Sorry, can't help with hydro, never did it.  I'd start slow, sounds like lofty goals.  Learn how to grow one strain before trying others.  You'll want to get a hold of yield and size or you'll be constantly over or not producing.  Each strain is a little different to a lot different on stretch, yield, water/nutrient preference, etc.   A mixed perpetual garden is the hardest thing going.  You need different nutrient levels for different strains and with a single reservoir in hydro your asking for problems.  And from seeds your going to be disappointed with some but it's the only way to find some keepers without just buying clones.  Best of luck.

I followed directions found in Jorge Cervantes grow bible 6 years ago and have used literally every basal salt nutrient available on amazon and at my local grow store. They all functioned well, differed in price, and had varying components needing to be added to the system. I liked AN much, except for the costs of their choices. PH perfect is a bonus. I've used the Dutch Bucket system, Flood/Drain(ebb/flow), Top Feed, Undercurrent, bubbling hempy buckets, mostly automated and found they all functioned great. The choice is purely personal, with space, water risk, humidity, labor, initial costs etc in mind. I settled on flood/drain as the easiest least risk system for me. then ditched it the first time I mixed happy frog with promix, and used that AN tea. Now I make my own tea with the help of near 75,000 worms basking in he veg room worm farms.

The organic solutions offered commercially all failed in hydro, except for one, and that was AN Mother Earth Tea. They all worked great in soil though.

good luck, keep us apprised of your trials and success

jointedone, I think you are speaking too much from your own experience. There are caregivers all over this state that have all sorts of arrangements, and the vast majority are quite friendly and open. Many are family members and close friends. I am sorry that your experience has been so negative, but it is not indicative of the general situation.

Unlike other people,I ONLY speak from my own experience. I do not take it upon myself to tell other people how and what they should do. Thank you for the advice,I will treasure it.

I wont be using a single reservoir for my hydro setup, I'll be running each of my plants individually as Deep Water Culture (Non-recirculating) modules, which I'll also be trellising.  The point of it is that it will be a lot of work, which is perfect because I really want to be as involved as I can be. Love the plants and they'll love you, right? That's the hope. All good things to look into, thank you Grass, though you'll have to explain the whole worm thing to me, I'm pretty much a beginner so a lot of the more advanced (or seeming such) things are beyond my current knowledge.

I wont be using a single reservoir for my hydro setup, I'll be running each of my plants individually as Deep Water Culture (Non-recirculating) modules, which I'll also be trellising.  The point of it is that it will be a lot of work, which is perfect because I really want to be as involved as I can be. Love the plants and they'll love you, right? That's the hope. All good things to look into, thank you Grass, though you'll have to explain the whole worm thing to me, I'm pretty much a beginner so a lot of the more advanced (or seeming such) things are beyond my current knowledge.

Keep a close eye on your temperatures in those buckets.  If you get over about 70F you'll likely run into root rot issues.  At that point, you'll wish you had your buckets connected with a chiller running.  DWC is awesome but doesn't leave much room for error...once a root rot issue starts, it is tough to get under control.  Also, look into enzyme products like senizyme or hygrozyme...this helps keeps the bad bacteria in check.

worm farming is like a whole different craft. I have commercial worm farm trays stacked, each filled with "spent" grow dirt, left after harvesting. trays are around 10 trays high, with top one being the "feed" bin. In there goes the root balls, and garden daily garden and harvest trim. The bins get water from the top daily, about a gallon per day. There's millions of crawling beneficial insects in every tray. The worms work there way from the bottom to the top, leaving their black gold dirt behind for my next planting. The liquid I call Black Gold is used to fertilize all of my plants, including the veggies and herbs in the same room. I pull the bottom tray out, empty, fill with spent dirt, return to the top of the system and repeat. It was a natural approach for me because I used the same system to raise worms to feed my tilapia fish when they were indoors. Now they're "free range" fed.

I like the closed loop system scheme, always have. I don't buy fertilizer, or dirt. worms eat marijuana and produce fresh dirt and food for more marijuana plants. Just add water, and enjoy what the worms don't use lol

That sounds pretty stellar actually, I'll have to make a note to at some point in my time growing to make the attempt at a worm castings grow. Part of me wonders if maybe I should just put a couple of the planned plants into DWC and the rest into a more easily controlled newbie medium. Quick questioning on lights though, if I'm only going to be running 12 plants in a 10" by 13" area, what should I shoot for in terms of quantity vs wattage of light? Would it be best to get like 4 of the 600 watt lights and space three plants under each, or could the space be managed better?

Also, thank you Highlander for mentioning that root rot problem, I knew I was overlooking something big and that just so happened to be it!

Edited by Comfortably_Numb

could be as easy as a dirt pot and Jobes organic fertilizer spikes too.

two of those lights will be sufficient, and one would do the job, if you don't mind crowding plants. I grew 12 in a 2x4 tent with no issues. Jorge Cervantes lays it all out for the technical stuff, like par lighting, square footage, etc. his book is 25 bucks on amazon, or free online somewhere.  don't flower all 12 of your plants at one time though, space the flowering/harvest out to fit your medical harvest needs. An uninterrupted supply is the goal.