Starting Seeds!

bdizzle88

ok so here is the deal.... i just planted 8 seeds about a week ago..... i planted them in one of those mini-tomato green house type things well one sprouted so far and is already like 3in. tall and the other 7 nothing yet..... any suggestions from any1 for starting seeds? and yes all the seeds were from a seed bank and i do have more than 1 of each strain i planted does this plant have super strength or am i doing something wrong planting this seeds??? plz help or suggestions would be great thanks ghouls and gals

8 days should be more then sprouted. You may have planted them to deep or they not sprout at all. Dig down a little bit see if you have little white sprouts down there. When I germ seeds I take a damp paper towel and put them in there and then check on them daily, generally everything sprouts within 3-5 days.

8 days should be more then sprouted. You may have planted them to deep or they not sprout at all. Dig down a little bit see if you have little white sprouts down there. When I germ seeds I take a damp paper towel and put them in there and then check on them daily, generally everything sprouts within 3-5 days.

i love it when u beat me to an answer. so much less typing for me :)

+rep to you.

The method that works for me is aluminum foil and wet paper towels.

I cut a sheet of aluminum foil about a foot long, or less depending on how many seeds I am sprouting.

Next I take two sheets of paper towel, I fold one in half long ways and place it on the sheet of aluminum foil.

I place any seeds at least an inch apart on this paper towel then fold the other sheet of paper towel lengthwise and place it over the seeds. Think of it as a bean sandwich.

I then put just enough water on the paper towels to soak them but not too much, just a good soak.

Next I fold the aluminum foil around the bean sandwich, and hold it up by one corner to let any extra water drain off. (Don't squeeze it out, if it's too much water it will drip out itself.)

Then I take the little package and slide it under my mattress, or on a sunny window sill for a couple days. Some of the heavier cased seeds take longer to wick the water into the seeds but they will sprout, just takes a bit longer. I like to wait until the roots are about a half inch long before I plant them in soil, white root tip down under about an eighth of an inch of soil covering them. I have planted them sooner with the root just sprouting out of the shell, but I have had much better success waiting until it's a bit longer.

Works well for me as I have rarely had a bean that produced a good starting root that didn't break the surface of the soil in only a few days, if not in a few hours.

Hope this helps,

----Nemo

i love it when u beat me to an answer. so much less typing for me :)

+rep to you.

:lol: I try every once in a while. I figured since you got wrecked last night and aren't functioning at 100% I'd lighten up the workload haha!

When I germinate seeds, I start by soaking the seeds in a small shot-glass, or something small that will fit in a humidome, (seperate containers for different strains) with a little pH 7.0 water. They are left in a slightly warmer than room-temperature area (75*F) and placed in a humidome for anywhere between 3-7 days, or until they begin to sink. The seeds should sink BEFORE they crack open and form the initial root. For those that have not sank yet, I simply tap them a bit or swish the water around a little. If they still do not sink then they continue to soak until they have. If the seeds do not sink within 7-10 days, they are more than likely not viable. This is a viability test done in horticultural labs all around the world. If a seed is viable, it will take on water and sink, if it is not it will float until the outer shell begins to rot away and is considered dead.

After that crucial step I place them directly into soil. I place the seeds about 1/4 of an inch deep. I use little planter trays with Fox Farms Ocean Forest to start them off. I then place them in a small humidome, keeping the temperatures around 75*F until the sprouts have formed thier cotyladons and the first set of single bladed leaves begins to form. That concludes the germination process.

This should prove very effective for you. Try different methods though and see which works best for you. I prefer this way as it has proved to be the fastest most effective method I have tried, to date.

if your just starting out, you may want to go to the web site" grow4me",for soom basic instruction and ideas.the site has been used by alot of newbes including me...i use damp paper towels,in a ziplock,on the hot water heater,2-4 days..zb

i use a paper towel and ziplock bag and put them in my closest between 2 sweat shirts just did it about 24 hrs and already have seeds popping big bud purple pine berry cole train and shark breath cant wait for them going to make mothers out of the one big bud one purple pine berry one cole train and one shark breath that way i got all the genectics i will ever need good luck with your seeds

Just a word of warning.................Don't use Jiffy 7s for seedlings............. only clone cuttings. Something has been changed with the peat formula and has killed many of my seedlings. Don't know if it was PH or what.

I noticed that also. Started using root riots, they seem to work pretty good.

I think Jiffy 7 pellets are too acidic for seedlings. I used to use them with no problems, now the roots don't seem to develop well and the plants start out with deficiencies.

I like using plugs for seedlings just in case they grow a little tall on me I can plant them deeper when they stop getting gangly. I know they can get stem rot but I rarely have that problem. That weakness has been bred out of most indoor lines.

Of course if you give your seedlings proper lighting and simulated wind they don't usually get tall and gangly.

• 4 weeks later...

These are 3 weeks from seed in dirt no germination, every single bean popped in 5 days max! Im pretty sure it is do to the blue plastic barrel keeping the heat in, i planted some in ground and they took 8 days and are no where near as healthy as these, no expensive nutes, just xpert gardner plant food (wallmart $3.56) when I can remember 1 time a week starte at 2 weeks from popping just to see what happens! I need a new pic, they are 2 times bigger now than the pic!

FTW

Peace!

Jim

http://i83.photobuck...100621-2044.jpg

this is 4 weeks

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Phaquetoo_pics/hillbilly%20legal%20free%20grow/IMG00097-20100701-0857.jpg

This 25-count pack of Jiffy-7® Peat Pellets can either be used in one of our Jiffy seed starter trays or in any container of your choice, even an egg carton! Made from premium sphagnum peat, we add a little lime and a specially formulated fertilizer to stimulate seed germination and growth. Wrapped in a thin, biodegradable net, you simply plop the Jiffy Peat Pellets into a Jiffy seed starter tray or other appropriate container, add a few seeds and water and wait for the magic to happen! Then, when the time is right—place the whole perfect peat pod into the ground or decorative planter. No mess and no fuss! This is truly the easiest way to start any plant from seeds!

Ran across this today and it gives ingredients other than their special fert. I used just three of them and lost all three. Back to paper towels for me.

Dizz

Archived