Why Doesnt Everyone Air Clone?

GanjaWarrior

I just stumbled upon this tech....n just started 20 of them. they grow roots while still on the plant. seems it solves my frustration with number limits and sharing genetics. the way i see it i can root em out, call my patient buddy and have him come over and hand em to him as i cut em off.... but as they were never separated from the plant, so shouldnt count towards my 12? if u dnt know this tech just search clones its a video under the re-veg thread. so what u think?

I think it's a great way to handle plant limits.  I just took clones the old-fashioned way, though, just because plant counts allowed and that's the way I'm used to.

Have you tried it yet?  I would like to see feedback on how easy it is relative to the traditional methods.  Sure looks easy enough, easier than some of the traditional methods, actually.

What is air layering?

Contributed by strawdog

ITEMS NEEDED:

PLANT!

matchstick or toothpick

tape

razor blade

rooting hormone (Clonex)

tweezers

plastic wrap

scissors

pin

(1)Sterilize all tools before using them.

(2)Cut a branch that is at least 1/8 inch thick with at least two nodes.

(3)Select area from which roots will sprout. This area needs to be midway up the main stem, with enough room on each side of the cut to fasten the bag.

(4)Use the Razor Blade to make a 1-2" lengthwise incision along the stem. Cut all the way through the bark, to which the phloem is attached. Don't cut into the xylem, which is the layer under the bark.

(5) A ring of bark is removed from around the stem. The phloem and cambium are attached to the inside of the bark, so when the bark is removed the phloem is also removed. This leaves the central cylinder of xylem and upward water flow unaffected.

p89f1000.gif

(6)Get clonex and apply it to the exposed xylem. For increased stability, you may tape a toothpick or matchstick parrallel to the stem.

(7)With thumb get some grow medium. (perlite, peatmoss, whatever) Pack the wound carefully with the soil.

(icon_cool.gifAttach plastic wrap below incision with tape. Tape the vertical seam where the ends meet. The effect of this should be a funnel shaped plastic wrap enclosure.

(9)Pack with grow medium. Be sure to leave enough "slack" at the top so that it may be taped to the stem above the incision.

(10)Fasten closed with tape.

p90f1000.gif

(11)Use pin to create holes in around bag. This will allow soil to breath.

Use an eye dropper to keep the soil wet. Do this every day. After 2 weeks, your cutting will have roots and will be ready for propagation.

Guest finallyfree09

What is air layering?

Contributed by strawdog

ITEMS NEEDED:

PLANT!

matchstick or toothpick

tape

razor blade

rooting hormone (Clonex)

tweezers

plastic wrap

scissors

pin

(1)Sterilize all tools before using them.

(2)Cut a branch that is at least 1/8 inch thick with at least two nodes.

(3)Select area from which roots will sprout. This area needs to be midway up the main stem, with enough room on each side of the cut to fasten the bag.

(4)Use the Razor Blade to make a 1-2" lengthwise incision along the stem. Cut all the way through the bark, to which the phloem is attached. Don't cut into the xylem, which is the layer under the bark.

(5) A ring of bark is removed from around the stem. The phloem and cambium are attached to the inside of the bark, so when the bark is removed the phloem is also removed. This leaves the central cylinder of xylem and upward water flow unaffected.

p89f1000.gif

(6)Get clonex and apply it to the exposed xylem. For increased stability, you may tape a toothpick or matchstick parrallel to the stem.

(7)With thumb get some grow medium. (perlite, peatmoss, whatever) Pack the wound carefully with the soil.

(icon_cool.gifAttach plastic wrap below incision with tape. Tape the vertical seam where the ends meet. The effect of this should be a funnel shaped plastic wrap enclosure.

(9)Pack with grow medium. Be sure to leave enough "slack" at the top so that it may be taped to the stem above the incision.

(10)Fasten closed with tape.

p90f1000.gif

(11)Use pin to create holes in around bag. This will allow soil to breath.

Use an eye dropper to keep the soil wet. Do this every day. After 2 weeks, your cutting will have roots and will be ready for propagation.

wow! thats an awful lot of precision trimming and carving. i don't know if i could do that. clumsy oaf syndrome.

nope easy as cake.... wifes home with the new baby so when i get time away from work and the garden room ill try n do a tut or whatever u wanna call it.... this is the way to clone for me...ive got a room full of strains id like ever pt in Michigan to try. I did it on three branches just to test it...i also cut three clones.... the three i di this way already have bumps roots coming soon.... and they are still all green and healthy. one of the ones i cut died, and the other two dont appear to have anything going on yet.

I just love this method, it allows us to have clones ready to share w/o it counting as one of my 12

The question is "why doesn't everyone air clone"...

The answer... Cause it's a major PITA...

one word for ya aero-clone..

couldn't be easier.. roots in a week generally..

New talks with MDCH outline that a plant isn't considered a plant, till it's ready to transplant.. I've had "little" girls in my aero-cloner that where over 12" tall and 1/2" thick at the base.. lol..

Just a flip side to Air Cloneing..

• 8 months later...

New talks with MDCH outline that a plant isn't considered a plant, till it's ready to transplant.. I've had "little" girls in my aero-cloner that where over 12" tall and 1/2" thick at the base.. lol..

New talks with MDCH outline that 10,000 12-inch rooted green things with stems 1/2 inch thick in an aerocloner of one square acre equal sufficient leaf and stem to make enough cannabutter for every man, wom,an and child in the state of zmichigan to butter their bread on both sides for one year.

Even newer talks with the head stoner at MDCH outline that 10,000 12-inch rooted green things with stems 1/2 inch thick in an aerocloner of one square acre equal sufficient leaf and stem to make cannabutter for every man, woman and child in the State of Michigan to butter their bread on both sides for one year.

• 2 months later...

On the 23rd of last month I started 3 clones the usual way and air layered two stems ( I scraped the bark off) both have great roots and are over 10 inches long, one clone died and the other 2 are alot smaller than the air-layered, only now that plant is ready to start flowering, which will give me 2 sour diesel over my count.

I've just started air cloning, and I'm in love with it. I'm transitioning to using this technique exclusively. By air layering, clones don't take up any of my plant count allowing me to keep more varieties on hand. Also, I'm finding that I can "hold" the air layered clones longer than traditional clones until I'm ready to move them into the veg area...

Ok ....wow ....lol I see a old post from me. I guess ive been around for a sec now......on a side note, notice where i mention the new baby..... lol wife just told me "8 weeks" i love my lil ones....ne way.

Before i get started let me say how sad i am to see a couple folks i thought of as cool drinking hateraid all on my post......im just teasing. but so i dont show my hurt feelings im gonna vap some widow b4 i tell you...lol

Ok....for about 9 months now ive been using a cloner i built...............boy do i have to say you guys are so wrong. air layering is the way to go if you dont have the numbers or the time trying to worry about your cloner.

i can make ten clones in this way in the time it takes me to get my cloner set up lol. no its not hard. the pics are for doing it with trees just a bit dif from our plants.i put knife edge flat against stem and scrap a lil skin off.no surgery no tricky removing whole layers. then apply clonex wrap in a bit of rockwool and keep moist. I cover with alum foil as it keeps light out n water in. i really need to find someone to make a tuit for this.....cuz if you think its hard you dont understand me.

Now you may wonder why i dont do it....anymore. In the long run for me it was too much work. I have a high enough plant count and when my cycles running i can do ok.... i can commit a part of my plant count to clones...so i have a cloner. If your new, or just grow for yourself......your crazy to not try this. I spread so much of my genetics when i first started and it never had to count towards my total.

Guest finallyfree09

This tecnique of cloning has been around a long time. Its generally called jamacain style cloning within the Cannabis circle of horticulturists ..

I will say its very easy and fool proof for the most part . I use rapid rooters , just slip one on the stem after scraping and dust with rooting powder and cover in saran wrap after misting .. Works like a charm . This tecnique has been used on hard to clone houseplants and trees for a very long time in the horticulture industry .. OD

how much do you scrape the stem???? i have tried this twice now with no success. i dont want to try girdling the plant as the instructions in the beginning of this thread suggest... thats how you kill a tree right? well.... i don't want to kill a mother either.

it would be nice to be able to save plant count.

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

For me personally....Don't need to air clone. All these alternative grow techs are cool, but really once your op has been up for a year, and you have more then 12 plants allowed, this would be just another thing I'd have to take time to research and make allowances for in my op

The bottom line is I don't really need to produce more. I achieve my limits fine allowing un-topped/1cola(basically) plants to do what nature intended...

I'm just replying to the topic title now. I'm not saying it isn't a wonderful trick growers can use...Just giving my reasons for not using it or even spending time reading about it...

i used a DIY bubble tote cloner successfully for a little while, but i made it too big, and had plant limits to consider. so i made a smaller one. Except that one never really worked well, after late fall arrived and the heater kicked in. Then i purchased a daisy aero cloner. This was a simple successful cloning solution for a number of people that i know. It did work initially. but after prolonged times of dry heat in the room my veg tent sits in, the leaves of the clones just cannot take it, and dry up. once they dry up, the aerocloner sprayer becomes extremely susceptible to getting plugged by dried leaf matter. i have had cuttings lose all of their leaves and new growth, but have still grown roots! of course those go no where because they have nothing to process the light and food. so, finally, after receiving some very healthy cuts in Root Riot cubes, i have started using Root Shooters in a tray similar to those. They have never been happier! Every cut is upright, and healthy. not a single drooper. i have lost a lot of cuts and even entire strains to cloner instabilities or incompatibilities.

but, the larger point is, there are several highly worthwhile means of cloning. each person must do what is successful for their strains, in the environment that they have to grow in. I think i may have found what makes sense for my grow room right now.

Archived