Bubblegrower's Perpetual "Budget Grow" Journal

Grow Thread

yup, thats the pump. i like the #5.

you can power a lot of totes with that thing :)

thanks

is it 1/4 inch air line or 3/8?

i somehow ended up with a 100' box of 3/8 that doesn't seem to fit my new 6" air stones very well

i may need to return it for a smaller stock.

hey

also how do you get your RO water from the tap? do you fill bowls and dump it or do you have some sort of high intensity tote, thats self filling with macgyver attachments?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks

is it 1/4 inch air line or 3/8?

i somehow ended up with a 100' box of 3/8 that doesn't seem to fit my new 6" air stones very well

i may need to return it for a smaller stock.

hey

also how do you get your RO water from the tap? do you fill bowls and dump it or do you have some sort of high intensity tote, thats self filling with macgyver attachments?

airline is 1/4 inch.

i have an r.o. filter attached to a designated tap. it basically runs 24 hours a day.

it fills a raised 55 gallon drum with a ball valve drilled into the side on the bottom. i fill totes/jugs/buckets/whatever from there.

in the little room (the one that i use for this journal) i have a small 100gpd filter, you can set the r.o. hose in an empty 10 gallon tote and set an alarm for 2 hours. alarm goes off, tote is filled.

i figured as much...it doesn't make sense the air line would be different from the stone to the pump.

gotta return that..i thought it looked big while i was at the store but the box clearly says 1/4 LOL

must be inspected as a result of NAFTA

umm

RO water.

i can visualize the drum...i can even assume you empty it fast enough to prevent an overflow...is there a safe guard?

also

is there any disadvantage to using a 1 plant per 10 gallon tote rule? i know you said what you can get away with (different strains needing different space considerations...)

the reason i ask is

i bought several 10 gallon totes today from kmart and they have a"groove" around the tops which prohibits cutting 2 net pots into the space. although one fits really nice.

so other than the obvious space vrs output equations is there any downside to using a one plant per one 10 gallon tote total strategy?

oh

fyi

i am setting up the changes to make my transition into a perpetual grow efficient.

i like the diagram u submitted earlier today regenerated from an older post

12 plants with 90 day rotation

nice..

i have some pictures of my current space if you guys are interested...i didn't want to hijack the thread or anything....

peace

:))

i figured as much...it doesn't make sense the air line would be different from the stone to the pump.

gotta return that..i thought it looked big while i was at the store but the box clearly says 1/4 LOL

must be inspected as a result of NAFTA

umm

RO water.

i can visualize the drum...i can even assume you empty it fast enough to prevent an overflow...is there a safe guard?

also

is there any disadvantage to using a 1 plant per 10 gallon tote rule? i know you said what you can get away with (different strains needing different space considerations...)

the reason i ask is

i bought several 10 gallon totes today from kmart and they have a"groove" around the tops which prohibits cutting 2 net pots into the space. although one fits really nice.

so other than the obvious space vrs output equations is there any downside to using a one plant per one 10 gallon tote total strategy?

oh

fyi

i am setting up the changes to make my transition into a perpetual grow efficient.

i like the diagram u submitted earlier today regenerated from an older post

12 plants with 90 day rotation

nice..

i have some pictures of my current space if you guys are interested...i didn't want to hijack the thread or anything....

peace

:))

first, its impossible to hijack this thread. :) trust me, others have tried. hahahaha.

no i have no safe-guard as far as over flowing. im sure with some $ and a little smarts it wouldnt take much though. i find it easier to just know my filter, how much it puts out per hour, and set alarms. my cell phone alarm goes off multiple times daily for different things.

yes, there are advantages, although not that extravagant to one plant per 10gal tote as opposed to one plant per 5gal bucket.

available space for root growth. although a plant in a 5gal bucket will never truly feel that crowded, i have seen some root systems after harvest that really look like they could have used a bit more space.

simple maintenance. a 5gal bucket with a plant 5-6 weeks into flower is going to be a bucket full of roots. you will only be able to fit a couple gallons of water in the bucket because the roots take up so much space....... you will have to fill more often than a 10gal tote obviously.

first, its impossible to hijack this thread. :) trust me, others have tried. hahahaha.

no i have no safe-guard as far as over flowing. im sure with some $ and a little smarts it wouldnt take much though. i find it easier to just know my filter, how much it puts out per hour, and set alarms. my cell phone alarm goes off multiple times daily for different things.

yes, there are advantages, although not that extravagant to one plant per 10gal tote as opposed to one plant per 5gal bucket.

available space for root growth. although a plant in a 5gal bucket will never truly feel that crowded, i have seen some root systems after harvest that really look like they could have used a bit more space.

simple maintenance. a 5gal bucket with a plant 5-6 weeks into flower is going to be a bucket full of roots. you will only be able to fit a couple gallons of water in the bucket because the roots take up so much space....... you will have to fill more often than a 10gal tote obviously.

post-8052-024937600 1287274403_thumb.jpg

mom, 2 clones, and a few seedlings..babies just blessed into the world

post-8052-078327200 1287274416_thumb.jpg

the babies

post-8052-000558900 1287274436_thumb.jpg

new recently aquired clone machine

post-8052-065516300 1287274464_thumb.jpg

one new bucket HA HA HA

testing one two three

post-8052-079855500 1287274535_thumb.jpg

a shocker from my recent OOPS file...

live and learn i say

fyi

thats what i was refering to when i asked about your sunday routine...

i work alot and i feel like i missed something i should have noticed sooner on this last attempt.

do you check your PH/EC/Temp? every bucket? every time?

when do you feed? morning or night ( by plant on off time of course...not necessarilly light timers)

Peace

i check all my numbers at least twice every day.

i fill when i wake in the morning. could be lights on, could be lights off...(for the plants) .. who knows. im one guy with a lot of plants in different stages of life.

its not like soil..... i dont water, water, feed, ect..... i do not have to water after lights out or any of that..... you water when they need refilled.... my buckets/totes have a level of water/nute mix that that must have in there at all times. i fill as needed.

oh it is possible.... i do it. you have to have multiple plants in the same stage of growth. 12 is diff.

BUT, on a 12 plant perp. grow, you are going to have about 6 plants in flower at any given time.

one plant just went into flower and is about 18 inches tall or whatever the height is that you put your plants into flower.

one plant is going to be 8 days into the 2 week stretch and a great deal taller. how much taller? depends on strain

one plant is going to be just finishing the 2 week stretch and will be WAY taller than the plant that just went into flower.

one plant will be packing on buds and gaining a little height still, but a lot of weight.

oneplant will be a few inches taller than that one, because its got a big azz cola on it now.

one plant will be the tallest of all, at the end of its life, in flush, and getting ready for harvest.

in a gravity fed system, all the totes/buckets must be on the same level (floor). having one higher than another messes gravity up. the totes must be at the same height. no way to have the totes level, and the plant tops level too.

i check all my numbers at least twice every day.

i fill when i wake in the morning. could be lights on, could be lights off...(for the plants) .. who knows. I'm one guy with a lot of plants in different stages of life.

its not like soil..... i don't water, water, feed, ect..... i do not have to water after lights out or any of that..... you water when they need refilled.... my buckets/totes have a level of water/nute mix that that must have in there at all times. i fill as needed.

thank u

i am looking forward to this new system.

**no offense meant to soil growers, but checking and regulating the specific nutes is a bit of a guess work thing for me as a newbie....as far as being confused as to whats in the soil to begin with, what plant am i growing, what phase of life is it in, what light is it absorbing, what air is it breathing, what food is it eating...

oh my...

roger,,,check fluids twice a day or more...

follow the passion

regulate buckets levels based on mathematical numbers per daily multiple readings...

the NON-Lazy man shall rule with minimum effort...

Nice..

i have a shot at maximum success:lolu:

yup, they grow fast :)

once you get it down, you just do it, and leave them alone. no nit-picking and playing with them 10 times a day. now that they all have a couple good sets of leaves to take in light, they will really take off.

within a few more days, these will outgrow this tote and they will be moved to their final 5" net pots.

i'm still trying to find ways to get faster vegging plants, but thats just me :)

that will never end. :)

okay i see the reason behind bubble growing

[1]how does it compare yield wise and ease of maintenance to EBB&FLOW?

[2]i am torn between hydroton in (3 gallon) growbags or hydroton in(3 gallon) buckets for an ebb and flow because i can get rid of the multiple air pump expense or BUBBLE BINS

speaking of... what about shallow bins -i can gain 6 inches but is it worth the hassle and will the airstones work in shallow bins?

cheapest system for me was kiddie pool filled with Grodan with kiddiepool reservoir below- 1 fill cycle every 4 hours- but i i like your totes idea

and does one need to use sterilite(hard plastic) or will the softer roughneck totes work?

i see the advantages with the BUBBLEPONICS system is nice for the aeration -

[3]i grew with aeroponics in the late 80s(best grow ever btw) but the bucket sytem baskets and waterpump clogging with roots is not worth it to me and it seems that system is used for cloning now-now cost prohibitive

so back to the first question which what is the difference between BUBBLEPONICS AND EBB AND FLOW ????? IF ANY?

BECAUSE OF LOW CEILING(6FT) MY GEAR HAS TO BE ON THE FLOOR-THE EXRA FOOT USED UP by tall totes may make things very difficult

[4]what is your oppinion on multiple 250watt lamps instead of 1 1000watt in the 4x4ft area-is it better coverage versus depth of coverage-i will have to use a screen of green to maintain order i think-i need some help

thanks for your time BG we all know your busy on Sundays ;)

okay i see the reason behind bubble growing

[1]how does it compare yield wise and ease of maintenance to EBB&FLOW?

[2]i am torn between hydroton in (3 gallon) growbags or hydroton in(3 gallon) buckets for an ebb and flow because i can get rid of the multiple air pump expense or BUBBLE BINS

speaking of... what about shallow bins -i can gain 6 inches but is it worth the hassle and will the airstones work in shallow bins?

cheapest system for me was kiddie pool filled with Grodan with kiddiepool reservoir below- 1 fill cycle every 4 hours- but i i like your totes idea

and does one need to use sterilite(hard plastic) or will the softer roughneck totes work?

i see the advantages with the BUBBLEPONICS system is nice for the aeration -

[3]i grew with aeroponics in the late 80s(best grow ever btw) but the bucket sytem baskets and waterpump clogging with roots is not worth it to me and it seems that system is used for cloning now-now cost prohibitive

so back to the first question which what is the difference between BUBBLEPONICS AND EBB AND FLOW ????? IF ANY?

BECAUSE OF LOW CEILING(6FT) MY GEAR HAS TO BE ON THE FLOOR-THE EXRA FOOT USED UP by tall totes may make things very difficult

[4]what is your oppinion on multiple 250watt lamps instead of 1 1000watt in the 4x4ft area-is it better coverage versus depth of coverage-i will have to use a screen of green to maintain order i think-i need some help

thanks for your time BG we all know your busy on Sundays ;)

timewise, ebb-n-flow and bubbles are similar.

clean-up in bubbles is much easier though. and there are no system failure worries.

if your pump fails in an ebb-n-flow you are screwed in a matter of hours. plants in bubletotes will live for days after pump failure.

roughneck totes work just fine. i use a 10 gallon roughneck for my "jr. high" tote because it has a larger lid area. its shorther in stature and harder to spread air/bubbles around the water, but yes, roughnecks are fine to use.

i will always swear by a 1k lamp as opposed to multiple lesser wattage lamps.

the lumens and penetration cannot be beat.

and finally, thank you very much for acknowledging that today is sunday. stupid small things like that mean the world to me and i promise you that you will get help before the next guy just because of that.

hope i helped :)

back to trimming.....sticky fingers.

the blubonic are looking very good. (so are the 3 haze x skunk that are tagging along for the ride and to make an even dozen)

med_gallery_13801_60_703250.jpg

BUT........... i need the space that they are in. they are ready to get pumped full of full strength nutes, and they need to get moved from their 3" net pots or the roots are going to become too attached and i will have to let it grow with the plant for the remainder of the cycle.

i had been thinking about trying this for awhile, and finally had a reason. i ruined a new lid before i got it right, but im in the middle of building 2 of these to house them for a week or so.

they will be in their final 5" net pots, ready for moving whenever necessary.

just my regular 10gallon sterilite tote.

med_gallery_13801_60_679882.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_1417022.jpg

36 plants under a 400w MH. ....... budget? :)

i think so.

we have 4 totes on bottom.

the front 2 totes are holding 2 fully rooted and ready-to-veg clones. 4 plants total in those 2 totes.

the back 2 totes have the 9 blubonic and 3 skunkman plants. 12 plants total. 2 totes/6 plants per tote.

the tray has 9 blueberry seedlings on it.

off to the left are 3 mother-to-be bubbledick plants in soil.

in the front is a simple daisy cloner with 8 fully rooted clones.

med_gallery_13801_60_452944.jpg?t=4763532

Archived