1 Single 25 Strain Super Plant

Tommy217xxx

Hey has anyone tried to graft marijuana plants? I was thinking about creating like a "Super momma". I wanna take 1 single female plant from seed and graft several different strains onto it. So that way I could have a nice variety/collection and I would only be using up one of my 12 plant sites.

I found a few videos on youtube but I was wounderin if anyone here has any personal experience with grafting marijuana.

Has anyone created a "super mom"?

I read an old HighTimes article about grafting plants together ohhhh back about 18-20 years ago. I am sure if they knew about it back then, it is possible. I don't see much mention of it anymore though, so I wonder about the value of grafting or if its just not common.

I do think if this can be done carefully, and mastered, and implimented in our MMJ grows, we might have some use for it.

Imagine 1 mother, with 12 strains all growing in one plant/root system. Holly bunny muffin, you could have 1 mother and the rest of your plants be clones or flowering plants of different strains to harvest every 10 days or so a new strain.

I still have most of my old HT mags, so if I have it I will let ya know what it had to say, as I cant remember off hand, but I do remember reading about it a looong time ago, and I just thought about it the other day.

Glad this was mentioned, 1 more thing I need to study up on now ;)

I think im gonna try to graft a purple kush branch/limb onto one of my other plants. and I'm pretty sure from my video that it does show the dutch have done this. I'm gonna do a little experiment in the next few weeks. I'm gonna try to create my super plant. I'll keep a detailed journal and photos on the whole process.

Does anyone know of any strains that have just huge root bases? I want something thats gonna suck up some serious water. I'm thinking of starting with a sativa strain as my host mother. I have about 30 sour diesel seeds. Then again it might be a good idea to start with hybrid of some sort. Something with 50/50 sativa/indica genetics. Im not sure if a 90% dominate sativa is gonna provide the best conditions for a 100% pure indica to survive in.

I would some day like to do special combo plants like a fruit bowl plant. It would have like blueberry, strawberry couch, lemon haze, pineapple express and others. You could also do like a kush family tree plant or a white family plant. I could see it taking some serious time collecting strains and getting the plants set up.

Please if anyone has any ideas or knowledge on this subject let me know. I have very little experience with botany and horticulture so any help would be great.

The root system of the "mother plant" will have the controlling genetics. Won't matter what strain you graft onto the mother, you will get whatever genetics reside in the "mother plants" roots. But hey, have fun!!!

Did u watch the video? So your tellin me that the "host" mother will mutate the genetics of the grafted clone? So what your saying is a cutting without roots is a blank canvas and it has no genetics?

I have an apple tree out in my back yard, 20-25 years old. It has 7 different varieties of apples growing from the same root system. It hasn't differentiated to only one apple type. I have to call b.s. on that theory. It is still producing all 7 variety of apples, the same principle should apply to all plants. Show me some proof of your statement sir...Peace...j.b.

The root system of the "mother plant" will have the controlling genetics. Won't matter what strain you graft onto the mother, you will get whatever genetics reside in the "mother plants" roots. But hey, have fun!!!

Ya this guy don't know what hes talking about. The roots and stalk are just a means to deliver the nutes & water.

I'm gonna use the roots and stalk of a harvested plant. The roots and stalk will be large enough to cut good 'V' grooves into, allowing you to easily fit clones in there. ... well in theory. :)

Ya this guy don't know what hes talking about. The roots and stalk are just a means to deliver the nutes & water.

I'm gonna use the roots and stalk of a harvested plant. The roots and stalk will be large enough to cut good 'V' grooves into, allowing you to easily fit clones in there. ... well in theory. :)

There's an idea. Keep me informed on that one. I just started germinating 2 sour diesel seeds. I'm wondering if it would make a difference if it was a male or female plant.

I could see there bein a few issues with using a "recycled" root base/stalk. Are you using a bloom nute? I'm wondering if that would be a problem for veg clones/grafts. I'm also wondering if by flowering the plant your actually aging the stem b/c the plant is an annual. I just curious if the stem and roots would be working at full potential as apposed to a veg plant thats still in the growth cycle of its life. Also I'm wondering if the grafts would heal.

Just something to think about.

incorrect. The Mother plants genetics will not spill into the other strains grafted to her.The fruit and ornamental flower industry has been using this method for years to produce all kinds of stuff we consume. Usually locally wild type root stock is used and other varieties such as Granny Smith are grafted to it.

Yeah I thought about doing this last winter when I was getting bored. I successfully got 2 grafts to take onto one plant. It took some trial and error and next time I attempt this I will set up a small system specially designed for grafting.

The thing with grafting is that the cutting needs to be kept moist just like when cloning. Then direct light will still shrivel the cutting even if you keep it moist and wrapped with a plastic bag.

Then when you get the cutting away from direct light the plant gets sick easily and wants to go into flower mode. The only way I see to do this is by building a small box with florescent lighting like a Phototron. This might provide enough light to keep the mother fairly healthy while not creating too intense of a light for the cutting you are trying to graft.

Yes, grafting cannabis is possible but it's quite tricky.

There's an idea. Keep me informed on that one. I just started germinating 2 sour diesel seeds. I'm wondering if it would make a difference if it was a male or female plant.

I could see there bein a few issues with using a "recycled" root base/stalk. Are you using a bloom nute? I'm wondering if that would be a problem for veg clones/grafts. I'm also wondering if by flowering the plant your actually aging the stem b/c the plant is an annual. I just curious if the stem and roots would be working at full potential as apposed to a veg plant thats still in the growth cycle of its life. Also I'm wondering if the grafts would heal.

Just something to think about.

Yes, you can graft a male plant to a female plant and vise verse.

Yeah I thought about doing this last winter when I was getting bored. I successfully got 2 grafts to take onto one plant. It took some trial and error and next time I attempt this I will set up a small system specially designed for grafting.

The thing with grafting is that the cutting needs to be kept moist just like when cloning. Then direct light will still shrivel the cutting even if you keep it moist and wrapped with a plastic bag.

Then when you get the cutting away from direct light the plant gets sick easily and wants to go into flower mode. The only way I see to do this is by building a small box with florescent lighting like a Phototron. This might provide enough light to keep the mother fairly healthy while not creating too intense of a light for the cutting you are trying to graft.

Maybe a simple shade would work well or putting the plant at the edge of the light coverage and have the graft on the dark side. I want to get a new scalpel and give this grafting thing a go. Maybe I could graft my Maui and Bubba pheno BKxMK onto my OGxSSH. Sounds like a plan.

Great input Tricloud. To prevent light getting in you could use dark plastic from a garbage bag. Still would need to wrap & unwrap daily. Might be a good idea to have some rooting hormone (clonex) mixed in with the water you spray on the wound daily.

I had a few other ideas to try to keep the graft moist. What about wetting a small black piece of cloth and wrapping the graft first then wrap with plastic wrap around the cloth. I was also thinking that I have used lettuce to kinda rehydrate super dry meds. What about using a small piece like a lettuce wrap first then plastic wrap.

I was also thinking about aloe. I wonder if a small about of aloe around the wound would help or hurt? A little tree sap might work to.

Does anyone have any ideas about any other natural plant byproducts that might help our process.

I know these are kinda off the wall ideas but my amateur approach to botany might help a more experienced grower take this method to the next level.

That's what I thought.

I never did find the old HT that had the atricle in it, but it had to be 15+ years ago they were talking about this.

Now that I have been reminded, it id definitely something I plan to try my hand at ;)

Hmmm, been thinking about trying it again too, for a while. Have done it with cactuses and fruit saplings. The cannabis plants seemed too sensitive for me, what age were yours when you grafted? Maybe I need to try older plants....

I have 1 Purple kush, 2 Aurora Indica, 2 Ice and I just started 2 Sour diesel. I also have 5 fem Snow white from nirvana but I'm gonna hold off on those. My plan was to use the Sour diesel as my host mother. I was thinkin that a sativa would be the best bet b/c they grow taller so they would have a larger root base and more graft sites but I did a little more research and it appears that sativa's have hallow stems. Im not sure if a 50/50 hybrid would be a better choice.

Im gonna experiment by moving/mixing some of the branches around. It seams like the Purple kush/aurora graft would be the easiest.

Ok, I did some research on the "host plants" from the video. The Congo haze is 100% sativa and the Oceans 12 is 70/30 sativa dominate. From what I can tell, they only offer both seeds in regular form.

I also looked up as many of the grafts as I could find/see in the video.

Soma's Diesel 70/30 indica dominate. Reg seed. (I'm unsure if this info is correct)

Mako Haze 70/30 Sativa dominate. fem/reg seed.

Cheese X Haze 50/50 Reg

Ray's Choice 80/20 sativa dominate. fem/reg

Cheese 70/30 Indica dominate. reg (unsure about this one also)

So from what I see, It looks like a sativa or sativa dominate hybrid is the way to go for my Host mother.

I found all of the strain info on the Dampkring website.

Archived