600 Watt Hps ?

GanjaWarrior

I am currently running 2 400 watt hps.... i just signed on another pt and am looking to up grade. heats a complain and 2 points of light is better than one so.... i opt for two 600 watt hps. heres my issue.... where in the hell do i get em. htg ( no i dont work there lol) has the best deal...i mean the best, sometimes 100s less than other places. i have dealt with them and been nothing but happy. My only concern is i see others willingly spending hundresd more and its kinda got me freaked out.... whats the dif why do some people spend so much more on a light?

I buy the same package everytime I buy new light, I spend $357 shipped for my setup and the reason I buy this package is because it comes with the Hortilux upgrade. I use Hortilux bulbs for everything so when I buy it from this company in a package I get the bulb for $30 and its normally $129.99.

The package comes with a 6" A/C cooled hood

1000 watt Hydrofarm XtraSun Ballast ($12more for switchable) 5 year warranty

1000 watt Hortilux Super HPS bulb =)

But to be honest I see people using wing reflector hoods and growing monster plants so.......

I am currently running 2 400 watt hps.... i just signed on another pt and am looking to up grade. heats a complain and 2 points of light is better than one so.... i opt for two 600 watt hps. heres my issue.... where in the hell do i get em. htg ( no i dont work there lol) has the best deal...i mean the best, sometimes 100s less than other places. i have dealt with them and been nothing but happy. My only concern is i see others willingly spending hundresd more and its kinda got me freaked out.... whats the dif why do some people spend so much more on a light?

what is your flower room footprint? have you considered 1000w at all?

ive bought a ton of lights for sure......... but lets find you the right lights first :)

what is your flower room footprint? have you considered 1000w at all?

ive bought a ton of lights for sure......... but lets find you the right lights first :)

um.... ive turned my closet into my veg area. my room is like 9x11 or so..... i have room to use 1000 i think? but then id ask why 1k over 2x600? not arguing just wondering why one is better than the other. heat will be a major pain in my butt.... i do have a ac but if i can avoid using it......im now legal for 24 plants.... just sent in paper work for another 12 so i def need more light. just kinda new to using anything other than the sun. I had always thought two sources of light were better lol sorry im at a loss. what should i do ?

Guest drcanna-pest

I would go to www.plantparadiseonline.com

They are out of Rothbury, MI - (famous for the Rothbury Music Festival) - They specialize in grow room set-up. Cell them at 231-893-5017. They will talk you through any issues and are ALWAYS willing to beat any price. Tell them Randy Jr said to call and you will get special treatment. (owners are close personal friends)- They know their stuff!!!

um.... ive turned my closet into my veg area. my room is like 9x11 or so..... i have room to use 1000 i think? but then id ask why 1k over 2x600? not arguing just wondering why one is better than the other. heat will be a major pain in my butt.... i do have a ac but if i can avoid using it......im now legal for 24 plants.... just sent in paper work for another 12 so i def need more light. just kinda new to using anything other than the sun. I had always thought two sources of light were better lol sorry im at a loss. what should i do ?

oh ok so you pretty much have endless room in that room?

ok. next............ whats your method of growth, media, normal veg time? plant height?

big difference between 600's and 1000's is vertical penetration. if you are in a true sog, then maybe the 600's are the way to go. but if you are growing fewer/larger plants, then there is no reason to not go with the 1000 right now. especially if you plan to expand later down the road.

They are out of Rothbury, MI - (famous for the Rothbury Music Festival) - They specialize in grow room set-up. Cell them at 231-893-5017. They will talk you through any issues and are ALWAYS willing to beat any price. Tell them Randy Jr said to call and you will get special treatment. (owners are close personal friends)- They know their stuff!!!

ok thanks.... i dont so much need a grow room set up just trying to deicide if i should go with a 1k or 2 x 600

oh ok so you pretty much have endless room in that room?

ok. next............ whats your method of growth, media, normal veg time? plant height?

big difference between 600's and 1000's is vertical penetration. if you are in a true sog, then maybe the 600's are the way to go. but if you are growing fewer/larger plants, then there is no reason to not go with the 1000 right now. especially if you plan to expand later down the road.

the room is mine...lol. ive got a desk in there i store my ferts n books on....i grow dirt. will try hempy soon and maybe a bubble here one day but dirt for now. in a dream situation id rather supply all my needs and have plant numbers to play with to try breeding and dif things etc . so yes id rather have a few big yeilders. at the moment i dont grow em too big as i dont have the light for it. i ahve no equipment for a 1k id need to get hood vents ducts whatveer i may need....

checked the site....again seems WAY more than htg thanks though

Guest drcanna-pest

ok thanks.... i dont so much need a grow room set up just trying to deicide if i should go with a 1k or 2 x 600

I think if your flowering more than 12 plants go with 2 600 HPS. Then you won't need a light mover.

What my friend did for me , Had me buy a inline fan 8 inch and a reducer cause i couldnt get a 6 inches. we put a piece of duct work off kooltube and ran it to inline fan put a nother piece of duct work to out side wall, cut a 8 inch hole ran it out thside with a vent thing on the out side

,fan sucks hot air off lite right out side. The next thing is to put it on the other end from another inside wall, and will b all set. When winter comes unhook from out side, and et heat go in bedroom.easy way to control the heat.send it right on through.

hightechgardensupply is the cheapest on the web hands down call them directly ask for Tony tell him Chris from Detroit referred you he will take very good care of you trust me.

darn it all this help and im still just as lost. My concerns with the 1k are heat.... the fact i dont have a crazy tall ceiling so i cant reall grow 6 foot monsters any way...did i mention heat? lol i know i can deal with that with cool tubes duct...money money money.... is it really gonna be all that much crappier to go with 2 600s? arent 600 the best? I love two pints of light...helps. i guess ive just never ran either of them i dont know if the buds are really that much bigger to warrant all the heat/hassle. couldnt i still get a pile of meds running two 600 watters. ahh this is frying my brain lol

Get a dual plugged lumatek 600 watt electronic ballast for $299 + free shipping off of ebay and then two easy cool 6 aircooled hoods and a 6 inch inline fan from HTG to cool them both and your good to go. :thumbsu:

I am currently in the process of purchasing this exact system for my bloom box I'm stoked i cant wait!

I see your question is kinda gettin lost in the shuffle. I am definately not an authority as some of these guys on here. 2 600 watts is 200 watts better than 1 1000 watt. I have 2 600's tip to tip under the same hood. I also threw in a 400 watter just to fill in the dark spots. I think cooling should be about the same with 2-600's vs. 1-1000 watter. If your already rigged with 600's I would go with it. Get a couple of harvest out of these then upgrade as you can. I have had no problem with my current rig, nice tight buds and yeild is right where it should be. These are just my thoughts, I garentee there are more knoweledgeable people on here than me. Good luck.

Confused? Two six-hundreds versus a thousand-watt?

Depends on the bulbs, ballasts and hoods I's say.

Lumens are lumens; a good 600w puts out 95,000. Double it for 190,000 total; or 158 lumens/watt.

A typical 1000w puts out 150,000 lumens; or 150 lumens/watt.

The difference is negligible.

The light foot-print is another story as is the shape of the room but there isn't much difference in the light produced.

There is an HTG supply right in Taylor MI. I may go there it is only 40 mins away from me :) An electrician friend is giving me a 1000w HPS light with hood for free so I guess thats what I will be starting with. Won't 2 600w get pretty hot, compared to 1 1000w? Seems like it would be better for you to go with 1000w in the end it may be more work but I bet it will be worth it.

There is an HTG supply right in Taylor MI. I may go there it is only 40 mins away from me :) An electrician friend is giving me a 1000w HPS light with hood for free so I guess thats what I will be starting with. Won't 2 600w get pretty hot, compared to 1 1000w? Seems like it would be better for you to go with 1000w in the end it may be more work but I bet it will be worth it.

ITs about light FOOTPRINT and how close your plants can get under the lights - how tall is the ceiling in your grow room? The average ceiling height and size of grows - the 600watt is best. Usually people are stuck with normal ceilings of about 8 - 8.5' - if you have room WIDTH - then you want a bigger light footprint, so you add another light system. For these plans, the 1,000 watter is not scalable.

I think if you are looking at lighting needs you should consider the ceiling height and room size.

Watch the lumens math - people say 2- 600watts will be 80,000X2 = 160,000 - but that is not correct as the light is spread out over a wider area - NOT FOCUSED into a single beam of light - i.e. 1,200watts one foot away from a plant - its still 600watts one foot away from the plant - you just have more plants to fit under the light footprint.

-DN

of course 2 600's will out perfom a 1000W in almost every situation. The total draw on the 600's will be like 1320 compared to around 1100 so whenever you have 20% more watts with the same type of lighting its going to be better. Plus with 2 fixtures you have an oppurtunity to run 2 different bulbs for a fuller light spectrum(run both hps and mh, or 1 hortilux eye, 1 reg..etc) another advantage of the 2 600's. Also the wattage draw is around 20% more but in my experience the heat was around 10% more than the 1000W.

So if heat is already problem and your adding in another 400 watts it might be time to air cooled.

makes sense soundless. My room will have 7.5" ceilings. This light fixture my friend gave me is from a greenhouse its pretty big probably 2.3 feet from top to bottom. he says you can use other bulbs in it that so I could use smaller watt's I guess. he gave me a couple 400w bulbs.Since it was free I figure I should use the best bulb I can get for it. Any ideas on the best bulb for me?

I use a 400w and 600w with Hortilux super. I can rotate my plants around them and imitate the sun and the seasons. Also if one goes out you still have one going while you run to the store. ( I have spares tucked away) I am adding another 600w soon. The 1000w sounds great but isn't much different than a 600w. I have wonderful results and my patients are happy! I use T-5's for veg. The heat can be used in the winter to heat the room, I use an open wing and a regular reflector both. I like my one with a glass sheild, it doesn't burn the lady bugs! But my wing I can adjust to spread the light. So many options! Don't worry you'll find in time what suits ya! I grow bubbleponics!

Archived