Miracle Grow

Momma

I know a few people who use it and get descent results. It did take most of them several grows, with lots of friend plants to get down a nute schedule.

I would not feed through veg, during flower.. I would try giving them some potassium.. and a little potash. VERY light doses, work your way up.

Every time you water, the MG soil will release more nutes. The people i know who use MG soil, add the extra P-K to every watering in flower. small amounts..

Personally, depending on the plant and size of it's current pot..,I would Re pot it into a larger container with some different soil, removing any loose MG soil that is not bound up with roots.

Water it light for a week, making the root system expand, searching for moisture. After a week or so, give it a good flush then start a feeding schedule, beginning at 1/4 strength of the recommended dose, work up from there.

My son planted in Miracle Grow soil. I understand there is a lot of controversy over this but I need to now how long it takes before you should start adding nutrients to the plants? Any help and advice is appreciated :)

I used MG Organic Soil for my first grow. I learned a valuable lesson - don't use it. The nutes in it peter out after 30 days (it says on the back of the bag to begin regular feeding after 30 days) and they never seemed to be enough anyway. I got some General Hydroponics 3 Part fertilizer and started using it (per instructions on the bottle and online info) after 30 days. It REALLY made the plants perk up and with it they made it through to the end. I didn't think they were going to. The harvest was good - way beyond my expectations.

The GH 3 Part is a little light in Magnesium - add 1/4 tsp/gal Epsom Salts (dissolved in hot water) to the water with the GH 3 Part.

Already in just a few posts here you see one person say "MG nutes peter out after thirty days" and another person saying they last 4 months.

???

The one thing that sticks out when I read soil comments, is the serious lack of accurate descriptions that would help a new grower decide. I'm not saying people lie intentionally, but they base their opinions on what they've done. Not a surprise, but hardly objective.

A bad grower who uses MG and blows his first four crops using MG....who do think he'll blame for that?,,,,MG....probably won't blame himself.

On the other hand a good grower can probably get a good crop using driveway dirt, but some of those good growers are intimidated by the criticism a good grower takes for using MG,,,so they use more expensive soil, to match their perceived sophistication.

It almost becomes political at some point and certainly personal. Is it cool? Young growers want to be cool...MG__not cool...Fancy 50 dollar dirt with nice logo and smooth name...SUPER COOL! And don't forget the big companies who bag the dirt for 50 cents and sell it to you for $50

Take dirt comments with many grains of salt. Good growers make the best of what they have, driveway dirt or 100 dollar a bag, Super Enriched Himalayan Spider Mojo Extract w/Giant Bat Guano & Supra-Injected Angolan Bio-Fungicide

Somebody will now google that soil I just mentioned and try to buy it... I rest my case

Miracle grow is garbage just goggle using it for cannabis see all the disappointed growers all over the world. :thumbsd:

The #1 complaint Ive seen is it overpowers the plant burning it up by overfeeding it young plants don't need a ton of nutrients right off i myself use the fox farm soils which have the perfect amount of veg nutrients for vegetative growth .

Miracle grow is garbage just goggle using it for cannabis see all the disappointed growers all over the world. :thumbsd:

The #1 complaint Ive seen is it overpowers the plant burning it up by overfeeding it young plants don't need a ton of nutrients right off i myself use the fox farm soils which have the perfect amount of veg nutrients for vegetative growth .

Ok I understand the controversy about whther or not even to use MG at all but as I stated, they are already planted in it. Both plants are about 18 inches high and appear to be healthy except for the part where the lights were too close. I have grown plants all of my life ( not mj of course) and know that the nutrients provided in the soil will begin to weaken at some point. I just don't know what that point is. I have been told if you add nutes to MG soil it will burn the plants up because in soil gowing there is no leeching of the nutrients. Being new to growing weed, I have no clue so I thought that I would ask here. The plants are beautiful at this point and all I am doing is watering and rotating under lights. One of the questions I do have other than the nutes is how fast are plants supposed to grow? These do not appear to be growing very fast.

Already in just a few posts here you see one person say "MG nutes peter out after thirty days" and another person saying they last 4 months.

???

The one thing that sticks out when I read soil comments, is the serious lack of accurate descriptions that would help a new grower decide. I'm not saying people lie intentionally, but they base their opinions on what they've done. Not a surprise, but hardly objective.

A bad grower who uses MG and blows his first four crops using MG....who do think he'll blame for that?,,,,MG....probably won't blame himself.

On the other hand a good grower can probably get a good crop using driveway dirt, but some of those good growers are intimidated by the criticism a good grower takes for using MG,,,so they use more expensive soil, to match their perceived sophistication.

It almost becomes political at some point and certainly personal. Is it cool? Young growers want to be cool...MG__not cool...Fancy 50 dollar dirt with nice logo and smooth name...SUPER COOL! And don't forget the big companies who bag the dirt for 50 cents and sell it to you for $50

Take dirt comments with many grains of salt. Good growers make the best of what they have, driveway dirt or 100 dollar a bag, Super Enriched Himalayan Spider Mojo Extract w/Giant Bat Guano & Supra-Injected Angolan Bio-Fungicide

Somebody will now google that soil I just mentioned and try to buy it... I rest my case

Point well made :) thank you for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend that planted in MG time release..

I asked him to put a cup of soil and a cup of distilled water together and bring it to my house for testing...

About an hour later he arrived, soil sludge in hand...

14-1600ppm

5.4ph

Usually bad mojo in soil..

Just FYI... if it doesn't look broke, don't fix it...

The plant will tell you when it needs food.. will start going light in color, as long as lockouts and/or deficiencies aren't involved..

My son planted in Miracle Grow soil. I understand there is a lot of controversy over this but I need to now how long it takes before you should start adding nutrients to the plants? Any help and advice is appreciated :)

The question is what type of miracle grow soil was used? Everyone is jumping up and down giving you answers without knowing the most important fact. MG makes time release soil in at least 3 different versions that I am aware of--a 2 month, 4 month, and 6 month. So before anyone can answer they should be asking you what type was used.

If you dont know then I would say in general look for the time release beads in the soil. They are a bit bigger than BBs and smaller than a pea. If they're still present in the soil then clearly the nutrients haven't all dissolved. Also, keep an eye on the plants. If they are green and healthy then you're probably okay.

Miracle Grow soil makes it practically impossible to control the amount of nutrients that the plant gets. You are better off using a neutral soil mix and then you can adjust according to the plants needs. I would leave them in the MG until you get ready to flower and then transplant them into something like 1/2 regular potting soil and 1/2 perlite. Then you can start them on a regimen of flowering nutes and flush them before harvest. Generally the biggest mistakes new growers make are overwatering and harvesting too early. If you avoid those you'll probably be OK. Generally speaking it's a very forgiving plant to grow. Good luck and remember it's a learning curve so if is doesn't come out the way you want tweak it a little the next time until you get it right, it will become second nature.

Archived