Simple Soil

rcgrowing

Can you share some of the soils your using, what you add to them, what kind and how much of nutrients you give. I'm going with fox farm happy frog with some per-lite added. its working pretty well. I have to add micro nutrients and give a feeding every week of Alaskan fertilizer (5-1-1 for veg, 0-10-10 fro bud). I'd like to try a different mix but because I live in an apartment, and am trying to be stealth to the neighborhood, I don't want to lug 10 different 40 pound bags of dirt and various additives to the second floor! So I'm looking for your successful soil mixes that get the job done great, but don't require a ton of different elements. Yes, I've looked at the recipes on this site, Like I said, I want a simple, great working mix that contains 3 or 4 compounds. Organic is choice, but please feel free to post! I want it all!! Thanks all! And happy growing!

You'll find that that Fox Farm 'Ocean Forest' just needs a little bit more perlite to make it lighter. Most growers keep it simple - as the soil is tossed out after 3.5 months. The Fox Farm blend can feed the plant for 30 days with just watering, since the soil has nutes - the first 30days I slowly increase the nute strength as not to burn the new plant.

Since you live in an apartment you'll want a tarp to lay on the floor when potting or harvesting.

Make sure you have a very good drainage system - you don't want to leak through your floor!

-DN

for sure dn! My floors are lined with a tarp doubled up. and I flower in a tent. I am concerned about the drainage. I have great drainage, but my dishes are filled about half way up after watering for about an hour. Obviuosly not horrible, but worried it may be a problem with root rot?? Your thoughts?

for sure dn! My floors are lined with a tarp doubled up. and I flower in a tent. I am concerned about the drainage. I have great drainage, but my dishes are filled about half way up after watering for about an hour. Obviuosly not horrible, but worried it may be a problem with root rot?? Your thoughts?

if you let them dry as it sounds like you do i wouldn't worry about 1 hour when i was growing i used a 12 or 16 oz cup and would use the same cup like each plant would get X amount of cups of water

i use straight Happy Frog. I try to go light on feedings after it is first potted for the same reason as the above poster. It will burn the girls. Also, i pot in either Smart Pots or air pots. So i water more frequently. I almost NEVER have water in my trays. But i water once, sometimes twice, a day. It's a labor of love!

Get yourself a large tray for drainage.. You can get them cheap at HD or whatever, they usually go under hot water heaters or whatnot, plastic, 2" deep.. pop a hole in a corner and create a drain... Then water as normal, allowing the excess to drain away.. You might have to place the whole thing on a short table or something, but it's better than individual trays filling up and holding water, or water everywhere.. drain off into a bucket..

Heck, if you wanted to get REALLY crafty, you could put a condensate pump in the bottom of the "catch" bucket for the tray drain, and when it's full enough, it would automatically PUMP your run-off out to a drain somewhere.. !!

I have used schultz potting mix and family dollar $1 potting soil. I mixed them half and half. I used monster bloom and a schultz bloomer. It dont sound good but I got nothing less than 4 and a half dried ounces each plant. I got 5 and a quarter ounces dried from both my AK-47 in this dirt. The smell and the buzz was top notch. My patients loved it. I ran this dirt side by side with straight FF/OC with the Fox Farm nute scedule. And It yeilded around the same. Its alot cheaper than Fox Farm. For about 20 dollars I filled 6 five gallon buckets. Opposed to 20 dollars a bag like the fox farm

Thanks

Wozer

I have used schultz potting mix and family dollar $1 potting soil. I mixed them half and half. I used monster bloom and a schultz bloomer. It dont sound good but I got nothing less than 4 and a half dried ounces each plant. I got 5 and a quarter ounces dried from both my AK-47 in this dirt. The smell and the buzz was top notch. My patients loved it. I ran this dirt side by side with straight FF/OC with the Fox Farm nute scedule. And It yeilded around the same. Its alot cheaper than Fox Farm. For about 20 dollars I filled 6 five gallon buckets. Opposed to 20 dollars a bag like the fox farm

Thanks

Wozer

did you mix the monster bloom and schultz bloomer right into the soil?

Get yourself a large tray for drainage.. You can get them cheap at HD or whatever, they usually go under hot water heaters or whatnot, plastic, 2" deep.. pop a hole in a corner and create a drain... Then water as normal, allowing the excess to drain away.. You might have to place the whole thing on a short table or something, but it's better than individual trays filling up and holding water, or water everywhere.. drain off into a bucket..

Heck, if you wanted to get REALLY crafty, you could put a condensate pump in the bottom of the "catch" bucket for the tray drain, and when it's full enough, it would automatically PUMP your run-off out to a drain somewhere.. !!

Is it possible to reuse the excess water (with nutrients in it already), seems it may save a little on fertilizers

Archived