Fox 2 News...tonight At 10P

I don't like how it was compared to Canada.... Govt controlled anything is bad

Charlies whole story was one sided. Like the way he compared Can's limit of 5g's to our 2.5 oz limit. He made it sound like ppl consume that much on a daily basis. Cmon Charlie get real! Adding insult he says that MMJ should be regulated by our Govt.

PreviousNext

MARIJUANA-LNE.transfer_20101110225528_320_240.JPGCredit: WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

Regular Photo Size

FOX 2 Focus: The Medical Pot Debate

Updated: Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010, 11:06 PM EST

Published : Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010, 11:06 PM EST

By ROBIN SCHWARTZ

WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

Some call it medicine, while others say it's an illegal drug. No matter what you call it marijuana is at the center of a hot debate.

FOX 2 is weeding through this controversial issue. What exactly is Michigan's medical marijuana law?

Michigan is one of only 14 states where medical marijuana is legal. The law passed two years ago, but there's still plenty of confusion.

It's been the focus of police raids and drug busts for decades. Marijuana illegal to grow, sell and use, but Michigan voters changed all that. They made pot legal for medical use. So, if it's legal, why are clinics being raided and people being arrested?

"They are charging me with manufacturing and delivering marijuana," said Candace Teichman, who was arrested in a raid. "I operated under the state law. I was checking every cardholder that came through that door."

"One of the places there were loose alligators running around protecting the product. This is Michigan. This isn't a Cheech and Chong movie," said Oakland County Sheriff Mich ael Bouchard.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Department and other law enforcement agencies have gone after dispensaries because they're not even mentioned in the law. They say those facilities can't legally exist, but lawyers for the clinics disagree. Both sides are left to battle it out in court.

"This isn't fair to us. We the people voted for this," one woman told FOX 2.

"It shouldn't have to be done in a back room somewhere, and it shouldn't have to be done on the street corner," another said.

"Why (do) they keep harassing everybody? If you're legal, you're legal. If you're not legal, you're going to jail," the aforementioned woman said.

With no regulations for clinics, what is and is not criminal behavior is coming into question. Take Jim Chaney, a convicted cocaine trafficker from Ohio. He now owns the Liberty 420 Clinic on Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor.

"If somebody's convicted selling cocaine, I mean would you hire them to run your pharmacy for you? It's the same thing. There just has to be provisions in place to make sure that things like that don't happen," one man said.

While Chaney, who goes by the name Jim Chainsaw, is being allowed to operate under Michigan's law, some of his marketing tactics are raising eyebrows. A card offers students discounts for referring friends. It also advocates getting certified with no medical records needed as a way to smoke pot without getting kicked out of school.

"I think that medical marijuana is a joke. It's like all you need is the headache and the doctor note," another man told FOX 2.

Joining Robin Schwartz to talk about the medical marijuana law is Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard, Neil Rockhind, who is an attorney for one of the clinics that was raided, and FOX 2 Legal Analyst Charlie Langton. Click on the first video to watch their conversation.

A mod can move this if there is a more appropriate category.

Link to Fox 2 video

Credit: WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

FOX 2 Focus: The Medical Pot Debate

Updated: Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010, 11:06 PM EST

Published : Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010, 11:06 PM EST

By ROBIN SCHWARTZ

WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

Some call it medicine, while others say it's an illegal drug. No matter what you call it marijuana is at the center of a hot debate.

FOX 2 is weeding through this controversial issue. What exactly is Michigan's medical marijuana law?

Michigan is one of only 14 states where medical marijuana is legal. The law passed two years ago, but there's still plenty of confusion.

It's been the focus of police raids and drug busts for decades. Marijuana illegal to grow, sell and use, but Michigan voters changed all that. They made pot legal for medical use. So, if it's legal, why are clinics being raided and people being arrested?

"They are charging me with manufacturing and delivering marijuana," said Candace Teichman, who was arrested in a raid. "I operated under the state law. I was checking every cardholder that came through that door."

"One of the places there were loose alligators running around protecting the product. This is Michigan. This isn't a Cheech and Chong movie," said Oakland County Sheriff Mich ael Bouchard.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Department and other law enforcement agencies have gone after dispensaries because they're not even mentioned in the law. They say those facilities can't legally exist, but lawyers for the clinics disagree. Both sides are left to battle it out in court.

"This isn't fair to us. We the people voted for this," one woman told FOX 2.

"It shouldn't have to be done in a back room somewhere, and it shouldn't have to be done on the street corner," another said.

"Why (do) they keep harassing everybody? If you're legal, you're legal. If you're not legal, you're going to jail," the aforementioned woman said.

With no regulations for clinics, what is and is not criminal behavior is coming into question. Take Jim Chaney, a convicted cocaine trafficker from Ohio. He now owns the Liberty 420 Clinic on Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor.

"If somebody's convicted selling cocaine, I mean would you hire them to run your pharmacy for you? It's the same thing. There just has to be provisions in place to make sure that things like that don't happen," one man said.

While Chaney, who goes by the name Jim Chainsaw, is being allowed to operate under Michigan's law, some of his marketing tactics are raising eyebrows. A card offers students discounts for referring friends. It also advocates getting certified with no medical records needed as a way to smoke pot without getting kicked out of school.

"I think that medical marijuana is a joke. It's like all you need is the headache and the doctor note," another man told FOX 2.

Joining Robin Schwartz to talk about the medical marijuana law is Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard, Neil Rockhind, who is an attorney for one of the clinics that was raided, and FOX 2 Legal Analyst Charlie Langton. Click on the first video to watch their conversation.

Then click on the second video for a closer look at how Canada handles its medical pot program and what we can learn from it.

This is very typical biased attack journalism used by corporately controlled media to paint a bad picture about things they don't agree with. This was basically one supporter vs three opposers. They have done similar attack peices in the not so distant past about gun ownership/open carrying, pit bull ownership , and now medical marijuana. Pathetic...

Fox2 has done more to at least bring the topic to discussion that any other news outlet in Michigan.

They slammed us one day, I lead the writing campaign when that happened and since that time, they have at least "tried" to bring some sensibility to the matter. Look at Charlie's age, I would expect that from him along with his political ties - it would be personal suicide for him otherwise.

Write them - with clear and concise language - they will read your comments and maybe even give adequate time to our issues.

Fox2 has done more to at least bring the topic to discussion that any other news outlet in Michigan.

They slammed us one day, I lead the writing campaign when that happened and since that time, they have at least "tried" to bring some sensibility to the matter. Look at Charlie's age, I would expect that from him along with his political ties - it would be personal suicide for him otherwise.

Write them - with clear and concise language - they will read your comments and maybe even give adequate time to our issues.

altough, in charlies's defense, he was trying to get bouchard to touch on NOT arresting/raiding everytime because 99% marijuana crimes are state not federal.

PB,

I was trying to find out the participants (I know Bouchard was there, who was the Atty.?) on FOX2 MM "investigation" and came across your post and then looked at your web site

and thought it was good. GREAT JOB !!

However, IMHO, I would add citations to the Law to be through (and it will obviously) take some work -- citing the authority, e.g. what citations to the law to what assertions you have

will back up your assertions. The entire law, sections by section is not a good idea, just the part of the MMMA that applies to that paragraph you write.

Murph

Be nice if they read my paper ..

A source of "gray areas" -> http://www.peanutbut...news--info.html

Charlie's whole story was one sided. Like the way he compared Can's limit of 5g's to our 2.5 oz limit. He made it sound like ppl consume that much on a daily basis. Cmon Charlie get real! Adding insult he says that MMJ should be regulated by our Govt.

That is how i see it was one sided am going to make some comments on Fox today Canada i think get a per Gram a day limit

PB,

I was trying to find out the participants (I know Bouchard was there, who was the Atty.?) on FOX2 MM "investigation" and came across your post and then looked at your web site

and thought it was good. GREAT JOB !!

However, IMHO, I would add citations to the Law to be through (and it will obviously) take some work -- citing the authority, e.g. what citations to the law to what assertions you have

will back up your assertions. The entire law, sections by section is not a good idea, just the part of the MMMA that applies to that paragraph you write.

Murph

who was the Atty.? he was one of the Lawyers for the Ferndale people that got Raided

Charlies whole story was one sided. Like the way he compared Can's limit of 5g's to our 2.5 oz limit. He made it sound like ppl consume that much on a daily basis. Cmon Charlie get real! Adding insult he says that MMJ should be regulated by our Govt.

Well this is Faux Newz. At least Comedy Central is honest enough to tell people to expect comedy. Don't expect Faux Newz to be honest.

One example, Charlie says, "Doctors in Canada say that this is the maximum amount of marijuana that one can have for being therapeutic, about 5 grams maybe 10 joints." Then he tries to imply that 5 grams should last 30 days. He is full of schuette.

What the Canadian law actually says under paragraph 19 (1) (ii)

if the new daily amount is more than five grams, the statement required under paragraph 5(1)(i), signed and dated by the applicant.

and paragraph 5(1)(i) says,

"(i) if the daily amount stated under paragraph 6(1)© is more than five grams, that the applicant

(i) has discussed the potential risks associated with an elevated daily consumption of dried marihuana with the medical practitioner providing the medical declaration, including risks with respect to the effect on the applicant’s cardio-vascular and pulmonary systems and psychomotor performance, risks associated with the long-term use of marihuana as well as potential drug dependency, and

(ii) accepts those risks; and

(j) that marihuana will be used only for the treatment of the symptom stated for the applicant under paragraph 6(1)(b).

So the daily amount is set by the doctor. If someone needs more than 5 grams a day they have to discuss the risks with their doctor and sign the form.

Charlie, C'Mon Man!

Archived