Help Me Decorate My "lounge"

Jipo

Alright guys I have a bungalow style house and the upstairs is kind of useless to me for much of anything other then making a sweet little chillin spot. So I come to you brothers for assistance!! I need to find some good places to order cool decor, this is going to be my smoking and gaming lounge because my family room keeps getting trashed and I feel like a bum when I bring people over and there's 2 bongs and high times mags all over the first room people walk in :lol: So guys, lets see what you got!!

Well, I don't know the places to order cool stuff from, but I have an idea.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, lived a young man and his friend. The friend was an artist, inventor, etc. He did a few things that would take too much time to mention here, but one really cool thing he did was he painted the walls and ceiling in their shared college quarters very dark. He then, using black light paint, painted planets, stars, realms, other worlds, and creatures on the open spaces on the walls (assuming you would still like some posters and paintings or whatnot. A large black light completed the decor. Meds and incense completed the ensemble.

It was awesome. Everyone who visited the two men were happy to have seen the paintings by the artist, who has since passed on.

I am sure your younger friends have a lot of better new, fresh ideas, and I can't wait to see what is happening now!

Good luck Jipo, my friend, with your project!

Well, I don't know the places to order cool stuff from, but I have an idea.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, lived a young man and his friend. The friend was an artist, inventor, etc. He did a few things that would take too much time to mention here, but one really cool thing he did was he painted the walls and ceiling in their shared college quarters very dark. He then, using black light paint, painted planets, stars, realms, other worlds, and creatures on the open spaces on the walls (assuming you would still like some posters and paintings or whatnot. A large black light completed the decor. Meds and incense completed the ensemble.

It was awesome. Everyone who visited the two men were happy to have seen the paintings by the artist, who has since passed on.

I am sure your younger friends have a lot of better new, fresh ideas, and I can't wait to see what is happening now!

Good luck Jipo, my friend, with your project!

Was considering this, however I'm no artist :lol: I already plan on doing all the walls in black since they are wood paneling and I hate wood paneling. The carpets red, I'm torn on leaving it or not, I like it cuz its absurd, but I hate it because its old red carpet. I know the floors are nice oak hardwood underneath, so If I do pull it I may get a rug or two and leave it hardwood. The ceiling is drop, not sure if paint will stick to that good or not either. I'm more so trying to find cool decor such as flags, clocks, trinkets and such, I have a couch and love seat I'm going to put up there, I'm gonna go get a nice little cheap coffee table and night stand to put a tv up on. and then from there I don't know what direction I'm going to take.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in Jackson, there is CK Barrymore'sMy link. He has quite a collection of things. If your ever get that way you have to check him out,Crazy Bob has lots of cool things.

I'm quite a ways from Jackson, but if I'm ever passing through I'll def stop in and check it out!!

I would say it depends on what feeling you want when you are in the space. Are you going for ultra chill lounge pad? or a spot that helps facilitate deep thinking and pondering of one's self? or maybe a place to hang with a small group of friends and connect the way people used to? I love designated smoking/vaping spots. My wife and I have lived in many homes over the years and I've always had a great time carving out the smoking spot for us and making it our own. I assume if its a bungalow you have the angled ceiling on either side? any built in drawers/storage space in the wall? use it all to your advantage. go vertical too. its really simple to build your own shelves with some scrap wood and paint. or hit the goodwill/salvation army and find something with some character. One piece that is so frickin sweet that you build the rest of the room around it. Example: my wife bought me a winged back captains chair from the mid 60s. custard color leather with an ottoman. chrome trim. she picked it up at Volunteers of America for $50. Using that as a centerpiece allowed me to have a loose idea of what else to look for. I had a theme/feeling in mind that I was going for and I kept focusing on finding pieces that would complement the chair. all in all, it took about a month to compile all of my stuff for the smoking spot and it was alot of fun to piece together. Its something I look forward to whenever we move to a new place. My advice: go upstairs, burn one and let the ideas come to you. Dont let your mind muddle the message. Just be still, and hear what the universe is telling you. Before you know it, you'll have a pretty good idea of how you want it and if it's right, then the universe will start dropping exactly what you need in your lap. Have fun! I wish I could be there to help! :)

Still, get a black light. A lava lamp is cool. Can't go wrong with an aquarium, but it is another job or responsibility.

Jipo, don't listen to us old timers. Get some cool, new stuff!! Your younger friends will have plenty of good ideas, to be sure.

I would say it depends on what feeling you want when you are in the space. Are you going for ultra chill lounge pad? or a spot that helps facilitate deep thinking and pondering of one's self? or maybe a place to hang with a small group of friends and connect the way people used to? I love designated smoking/vaping spots. My wife and I have lived in many homes over the years and I've always had a great time carving out the smoking spot for us and making it our own. I assume if its a bungalow you have the angled ceiling on either side? any built in drawers/storage space in the wall? use it all to your advantage. go vertical too. its really simple to build your own shelves with some scrap wood and paint. or hit the goodwill/salvation army and find something with some character. One piece that is so frickin sweet that you build the rest of the room around it. Example: my wife bought me a winged back captains chair from the mid 60s. custard color leather with an ottoman. chrome trim. she picked it up at Volunteers of America for $50. Using that as a centerpiece allowed me to have a loose idea of what else to look for. I had a theme/feeling in mind that I was going for and I kept focusing on finding pieces that would complement the chair. all in all, it took about a month to compile all of my stuff for the smoking spot and it was alot of fun to piece together. Its something I look forward to whenever we move to a new place. My advice: go upstairs, burn one and let the ideas come to you. Dont let your mind muddle the message. Just be still, and hear what the universe is telling you. Before you know it, you'll have a pretty good idea of how you want it and if it's right, then the universe will start dropping exactly what you need in your lap. Have fun! I wish I could be there to help! :)

I feel yeah, I'm shooting for psychedelic-esque theme. I love 50's and 60's stuff so I want it to be like stepping into a time machine when you go up there. The couches I have are rather out of place so I'm thinking some fabric to cover them will be needed. The ceilings do taper as you guessed and shelving is non-existent but a little angle iron and some wood planks can fix that no problem, there is a large closet up which I'm debating on tearing out for the space since it won't really be used for anything but possibly storage at some point. I'm thinking your idea of just going up there getting faded and seeing what comes to me is gonna be the best bet. The main thing I'm looking for is tapestries and other cool things that could be come across not necessarily the design ideas.

Still, get a black light. A lava lamp is cool. Can't go wrong with an aquarium, but it is another job or responsibility.

Black Light is planned for sure. Lava Lamps I don't know about, while they fit the theme a little to hippy like for me but we'll see :lol: I'd love to get a fish tank, however whenever I get fish tanks I get out of control haha, my last collection started as a 20 gallon aquarium to have a piranha or two and turned into a 80 gallon tank loaded with all kinds of crazy expensive toys and fish and I don't wanna even tempt myself with that itch again. :)

Jipo, don't listen to us old timers. Get some cool, new stuff!! Your younger friends will have plenty of good ideas, to be sure.

Oh no, keep em coming man, you old timers knew how to party, and lived through the era's that I only wish I could have been around for!

Guest finallyfree09

if you like the retro stuf just watch an austin powers movie and take your ideas from there! i was just talking to sublime wind the other day and tried to talk him into sharks with laserbeams to guard his room but i think he has other plans! :lol:

watch some old laugh-in episodes man... that'll give you plenty of ideas! :D

Id head to shake down street on leonard in Grand rapids-they have alot of tapestries,posters,cool incense burners and what not-also alot of glass etc it should hit the spot-im not sure if they have a website but I gtg right now,ill check later and post if no one beats me to it,good luck!

I have a spare bedroom that I use for a smoking lounge. I have tapestries I have acquired over the years from headshops and spencer gifts in the mall, as well as posters covering the walls. I have a nice desk I can study, smoke, and chill at. A nice comfy futon so my friends can crash if they need to. A decent sized TV with Wii. And of course black lights, strobe lights and other cool light effects.

PEACE

In my deepest voice. So we are talking interior design? Not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

Seriously you have to pick a style that fits you. Mine is painted a purple so dark it is almost black. I have just two easy chairs with a end table between them. There is a bookshelf and the decoration is part Gothic and part Lord of the Rings. The books shelf features a leather covered 1800s bible and books ranging from Hawkings A Brief History of Time to the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. There are antique candle holders and some reproduction swords hanging on the wall.

But that is my style. If you like to gamble you can buy very nice looking professional green felt and us 3/4 inch plywood to make a very nice looking texas holdem table. Used slot machines from the 60s and 70s are not that expensive. In this economy a lot of things can be purchased used for less than their real value.

Jipo,

Hit up some of the resale shops, you know like Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, and or a flea market. They always have cool stuff that can be repurposed into something decorative and useful. You already have your knowledge of what style you enjoy and want to do in there, so finding cool little trinkets, posters, wall coverings, and rugs can be done at any of those locations and for a fairly decent price.

I had a friend go out and buy up every used board game he could come across at garage/yard sales, and resale places. He took the boards and game cards out and randomly attached them to his panelled walls. When he was satisfied with the coverage, he took some of that polyurethane and sprayed layers until he had the finish he wanted... Looked really cool as a background for his smoking game room... Just a thought.

Can't wait to see pics of what you come up with.

Nice start...........I have a few more......12 all different ones....HJ

DSCN5447.jpg

and I have one that I upgraded for sale if the original poster is interested....

thats a beautiful collection!! if you have a tin i don't have already I'd like the chance to buy it. I just started buying the ones I have a few months ago. I have a few other brands too. but the zig zag are the best. PM if you have something for sale

Archived