How Close To A School?

MikeD

First post here. Have read alot. Great website. I still am unclear on if there is any restrictions for caregivers that are close to a school. Any help here would be much appreciated.

The state says nothing in the law about having a grow near a school, however the federal law says no drug zone 1000ft from any school. Don't know how much this will help, I use to be in a school zone till they closed it down last spring, they even took out the playground equipment so I figured I was golden now.

was at a city meeting and the city PA said that as long as no laws are broke then the school zone is ok.

You can live right next to a school and do your thing, just stay within the law.

keep in mind they (LEO) will count stems and stocks so get rid of them and also watch cuttings, they will count them if it puts ya over.

If they find you in the wrong then the card stuff is basicly void and your gunna get charged with the school zone.

smokey, what do you mean LEO will count stems and "stocks"

4. Protections for the Medical Use of Marihuana.

Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the qualifying patient possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana, and, if the qualifying patient has not specified that a primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility. Any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots shall also be allowed under state law and shall not be included in this amount.

Seems pretty easy to throw the idea that stems and "stocks" will be counted against you.

edit: Threadstarter: I would avoid being within 1000 ft. of a school zone. As my lawyer adviced me, only break one felony at a time. Marijuana is one felony, being in a school zone is another felony. Stay away.

Edited by garyfisher

I had a friend that was very close to a secondary school, he was told that its up to the city if this was against the law or not.. city council meetings probably your best way to find out... but bring that MM question up to any city official is scary to me...

One other thing he went as far as buying one of those messuring balls that roll along the ground and the numbers flip foot by foot, let me give you a visual 50 ft was from one wall of Home depot and he made it couldnt have been but 40 steps... 500 ft would have been around a blk away, 1000 ft well that's probably 2+blks away..

for real give it a shot you don't have to buy the thing at home depot just grab on from the shelf start at one end of the building walk start walking it truly was a eye opener he just set the thing down and said WOW no way am I, 500 - 1000ft..... Needless to say he moved shortly after that..

Good luck

Trix

I had a friend that was very close to a secondary school, he was told that its up to the city if this was against the law or not.. city council meetings probably your best way to find out... but bring that MM question up to any city official is scary to me...

One other thing he went as far as buying one of those measuring balls that roll along the ground and the numbers flip foot by foot, let me give you a visual 50 ft was from one wall of Home depot and he made it couldn't have been but 40 steps... 500 ft would have been around a blk away, 1000 ft well that's probably 2+blks away..

for real give it a shot you don't have to buy the thing at home depot just grab on from the shelf start at one end of the building walk start walking it truly was a eye opener he just set the thing down and said WOW no way am I, 500 - 1000ft..... Needless to say he moved shortly after that..

Good luck

Trix

very good i would also add they will masseur as the Crows fly

One other thing he went as far as buying one of those messuring balls that roll along the ground and the numbers flip foot by foot, let me give you a visual 50 ft was from one wall of Home depot and he made it couldnt have been but 40 steps... 500 ft would have been around a blk away, 1000 ft well that's probably 2+blks away..

Good luck

Trix

Correct me if I'm wrong but the thing to remember is that the 1000 ft. zone starts at the property line not the school building itself. Just stating this because I had a conversation with a person who thought the 1000 ft. zone started at the actual building.

Billy, They consider marijuana in a cat.1 dangerous drug, they say its more harmful then cocaine&heroin

now alcohol, cigs are not illegal by federal law and They are not felony's punishable by 20 years in prison

Edit: we are in a war against drugs, and Marijuana is in the #1 position they say its the most dangerous drug obtainable!! what a joke

Edited by trix

Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the qualifying patient possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana, and, if the qualifying patient has not specified that a primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility. Any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots shall also be allowed under state law and shall not be included in this amount.

Seems pretty easy to throw the idea that stems and "stocks" will be counted against you.

edit: Threadstarter: I would avoid being within 1000 ft. of a school zone. As my lawyer adviced me, only break one felony at a time. Marijuana is one felony, being in a school zone is another felony. Stay away.

State law allows us to cultivate and provide medicine to other patients there is no drug dealing or sales going on its all medical it is not a felony to grow near a school if your within the law and registered and allowed to posses plants .

Please remember this only counts towards local law enforcement the DEA does what they please reguardless of your legal status.

The state says nothing in the law about having a grow near a school, however the federal law says no drug zone 1000ft from any school. Don't know how much this will help, I use to be in a school zone till they closed it down last spring, they even took out the playground equipment so I figured I was golden now.

in the city of Lansing they put an ordidence that you cant grow with in a 1,000 feet of a school,church,playground,or rehab-facility no growing next to an aaa building, Edited by nestacheech

the article was in the Lansing state journal 9/21/2010 and it's a 1,000 feet not yards my bad had to pluck article to make sure I was right.thats schools,churches,substance abuse prevention services,playgrounds.

Billy, They consider marijuana in a cat.1 dangerous drug, they say its more harmful then cocaine&heroin

now alcohol, cigs are not illegal by federal law and They are not felony's punishable by 20 years in prison

Edit: we are in a war against drugs, and Marijuana is in the #1 position they say its the most dangerous drug obtainable!! what a joke

I hear you loud and clear. My point is that a controlled substance within a school zone is illegal, correct? The pharmacy sells drugs, and the bar sells booze. Both, controlled substances according to the school zone law correct? My home is zoned multi use. I can run a business out of it, not that it matters in my argument. Pot for med use is legal in Mich. It just seems wrong to me to be singled out because of it. There are way too many grey areas that need to be addressed.

• 1 year later...

Where does it say "stems" don't count?

Drug Free zones denote areas where there are enhanced penalties for drug activity. It's like work zones on the freeway. You can get a ticket for 75 in a 45 work zone, and double the fine, but it is still only one infraction. Same with a drug free zone.

It isn't as if we have a law against growing MJ and a different law against growing MJ within x feet of a school. The law is against growing marijuana. Enhanced penalties apply if you're close to a park, school, etc.

And be advised that the law specifies that parking and administrative areas apply. So don't measure from the edge of your grow to the edge of the classroom. Measure from the edge of your property to the edge of the school property.