Why Is It When I Medicate With Edibles They Knock Me Out?

Why is it when I medicate with edibles they knock me out? Was it the type of cannabis being used? (Middle to lower quality seeded poo, in most cases because i cannot stand to smoke it.)

My girlfriend makes brownies if i have some stuff i just can't stand to smoke, and in the past at various times i have tryed cooking while closely following recipes. But every darn time i try to medicate this way it's lights out for me, are these recipes calling for too much cannabis for daytime consumption maybe?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :rock:

Guest 1TokeOverLine

The release of THC, CBDs and turpines can't be controlled in the making of medibles to a science. Some turpines can be unbonded at lower temps, some at higher temps. THC is unbonded at lower temps than CBDs. High CBD/THC ratios induce couchlock and body stone, drowsyness.

The amount of unbonded and readily usable cannabinoids depends a lot on the recipe, and how your body handles any medication. Variants like body fat, metabolism, etc control how an element affects your body systems. Strain components are the biggest reason some get high, some get sleepy, and some aren't affected at all. Research the strain used for the THC/CBD ratio to get an idea how it will affect you first, then try different medible recipes.

1T

This is due to the fact that you are a Whimp!

Actually all the above advice is mostly good except cbd does not make one sleepy.

The bit about strain is important. If you start with couchlock mmj it's gonna be bang bang out goes the lights.

Your material begins to break down from day one of harvest, if your sample is typical "middies" it could be 6-9 months old before you even gain possession. Now you cook the material, which further degrades the active ingredients. Keep in mind, it is the most active elements that break down first, leaving dregs that tend to sedate rather than excite. This might not be the only explanation, but most likely is part of the answer.

Yeah it was quality issue for sure. This weekend I went for broke and just used fresh ground buds from Mendocino Purple. My girlfriend cooked about 4 grams of buds into one stick of butter and made some delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. About 14. It had a much more desirable effect than my previous attempts at eating and cooking with cannabis. 2 cookies worked fairly well. Though we may have been too conservative with the amount used in the butter. Thanks everyone.

• 8 months later...

Strain selection makes all the difference to me.

With candy or cookies made the same way, by me, indica strains make me tired about 3 to 4 hours later.

Sativa strains allow me to coast back to baseline without getting tired.

Every strain affects everybody differently, some that make me tired do not make some of my patients tired at all.

Haze x chronic by Willyjack seeds, made into edibles, motivates the hell out of me.

Mango candies cost me about 4 to 5 hours of getting nothing done, no pain though.

THC does not translate well in cooking - I believe it degrades to CBDs

- thus even medibles with sativa dom, it can be a downer.

What I know so far -

"Separation

Cannabinoids can be separated from the plant by extraction with organic solvents. Hydrocarbons and alcohols are often used as solvents. However, these solvents are flammable and many are toxic. Butane may be used, which evaporates extremely quickly. Supercritical solvent extraction with carbon dioxide is an alternative technique. Although this process requires high pressures (73 atmospheres or more), there is minimal risk of fire or toxicity, solvent removal is simple and efficient, and extract quality can be well-controlled. Once extracted, cannabinoid blends can be separated into individual components using wiped film vacuum distillation or other distillation techniques. However, to produce high purity cannabinoids, chemical synthesis or semisynthesis is generally required." (this means, various extraction process or cooking process can change the chemical make up of the THC, CBD/N/G)

and

"Due to molecular similarity and ease of synthetic conversion, CBD was originally believed to be a natural precursor to THC. However, it is now known that CBD and THC are produced independently in the cannabis plant."

and

" CBD is then enzymatically cyclized to THC. For the propyl homologues (THCV, CBDV and CBNV), there is a similar pathway that is based on CBGV. (recent studies show that THC is not cyclized from CBD but rather directly from CBG. no experiment thus far has turned up an enzyme that converts CBD into THC although it is still hypothesized.)"

aaaaaannnnd (glad I am being brief here)

"Cannabinol (CBN) is the primary product of THC degradation, and there is usually little of it in a fresh plant. CBN content increases as THC degrades in storage, and with exposure to light and air. Can Cause negative effects." (I say it also degrades from cooking - thus, the increase of CBN you might have discovered)

You might just be enjoying the negative effects of CBN.

DN

The release of THC, CBDs and turpines can't be controlled in the making of medibles to a science. Some turpines can be unbonded at lower temps, some at higher temps. THC is unbonded at lower temps than CBDs. High CBD/THC ratios induce couchlock and body stone, drowsyness.

The amount of unbonded and readily usable cannabinoids depends a lot on the recipe, and how your body handles any medication. Variants like body fat, metabolism, etc control how an element affects your body systems. Strain components are the biggest reason some get high, some get sleepy, and some aren't affected at all. Research the strain used for the THC/CBD ratio to get an idea how it will affect you first, then try different medible recipes.

1T

This guy explained it the same way, but he is wrong -

"The release of THC, CBDs and turpines can't be controlled in the making of medibles to a science."

Chefs like Capt. Kirk (who won the Detroit Cannabis Cup this year) or anyone working in a lab or controlled settings (like with a GSMS to test the medible process) CAN figure out how to control the release of THC, CBDs, even other compounds like flavinoids and terpenes.

We don't need a scientist from amsterdam to do this for us - even if you can only work out of your kitchen, perhaps grow your own medicine - you can find different extraction or cooking processes that gain the right chemical composition you desire. Each extraction can involve different temperatures, different oils, different times, etc.

DN

After going through your liver delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol(THC) is metabolized into 11-hydroxy-tetrahydracannabinol(THCV, I think), which produces different effects than the normal THC absorbed in the course of smoking. This combined with the more efficient absorption of THC by the body produces the different effect.

I read this in an Ed Rosenthal book: when you smoke or vape the THC goes from lungs-to-bloodstream-to-brain, then of course psychoactive effects are noted. Little/no hormonal activation of CBD receptors so far...you get a cerebral buzz but limited physical effect. [unless it's from Blueberry's Brain Wreck in which case your face melts before you dissolve into the wallpaper.] However, when you -digest- cannabis products then stomach enzymes signal the liver, a major source of hormones, to begin/expand activation of the body's CBD receptors. Likely more psychoactive effects occur as well as that overall bodily lovely glowing golden healing feeling of cannabis therapy. Lots of choices for digestion... dosed butter, oils, peanut or almond butter, tinctures, throat sprays, hard candies, foods containing Simpson Oil (I have a fluids injector and create Slinky Twinkies), and more. Works well, and is economical, to digest something modest like half a cookie or a teaspoon of tinc, then after a bit when you smoke or vape you get more intensely bodily buzzed and it grooves on for hours.

I ate one of Lojos Mojos brownies once........ once!!! I was incapacitated for 16 hours. It was my first experience with medibles. Even folks that say edibles dont effect them get a little kick out of her edibles. I felt absolutely no pain anywhere! Maybe next time i will cut one into four pieces! Medcnman.

I tried a new method of preparing the buds prior to cooking and my medibles increased in strength by about 10 fold. They were in fact so strong that I became a little ill.

I "decarboxylated" the bud by baking it at 300 degrees for 15 minutes prior to adding it to the butter. I then cooked the butter for 8 hours before adding it to a cookie recipe. I licked the bowl out after making the cookies and had approximately the equivalent of 1 cookie. 45 minutes after ingestion I knew that I had over done it due to the speed and strength of the initial onset. I then proceeded to have 4 hours of the most serious couch lock/body effects high I have ever experienced. I did not find it pleasant at all. The next 8 hours were fine and I experienced "relaxed awareness" and no pain to the max. The next time I tried the cookies I used about 1/8th of the cookie and things went pretty well.

Some of you may be thinking "Wow, how do I make some of those?". Everyone who has tried these did not believe what I told them about the strength and they subsequently ate too much. It is not pleasant. Everyone who tried these recalls the You Tube phone call from the cop who ate the brownies and thought he was dying. These cookies produce the same feeling. I and the others who have tried them think that they should be destroyed because they are so strong. I have not and will not give these to other patients.

I also should note that the butter I made was double strength - 2 oz of prime bud in 1 lb of butter.

Woo this was an old thread. I have learned much since posting it, and in fact am still learning. I now make my medibles with only Sugar Trim , and hash-pile, lower quality buds.

No fan leaves, no street-schwag.

No more head-aches, no more run down feeling.

Decarboxylation is also very important to this. The medicine must reach 280 degrees F if it is to undergo it's chemical change so that our bodies can use it better.

Now I use the common "Ganja Butter" Recipe of 1.5 to 2 oz of Cannabis to 1 lb. of Butter using a crock-pot and a cheese cloth.

I wrap my lower buds and sugar trim in the cheese cloth making it kind of like a giant tea-bag. Tying it shut with some hemp string. Put it in a crock pot of melted butter on LOW setting overnight.

Then I boil the tea bag in there on HIGH setting for a final 10 minutes so that I am sure everything has Decarboxylated then its time to throw away the tea-bag and put the butter in the fridge!

Archived