Blue Cough .. A Single Seed

peanutbutter

I received notice that Green Bees in Ann Arbor had a strain called Blue Cough.

Supposed to be a cross between Strawberry Cough and Blueberry.

This batch was tested in Lansing. It tested out at 3% THC and 15% CBD.

Wonderful effects .. for ADD and ADHD folks it seems to provide an effect that is similar to Ritalin. Clear headed, focused.

CBD has been documented as a memory enhancer. Offsetting the memory loss problems of THC.

It has also been shown to act in a synergistic way with THC in attacking cancer. A case where 1+1 = 5 ..

Out of a half ounce that I purchased, there were three seeds. Looking more closely at the buds, I noticed a couple of "bananas." Hermie flowers that produce pollen so that the plant self fertilizes. Which produces a few seeds that tend to be female in nature.

Tow of the three seeds don't look likely to germinate. One looks like it might.

It is very important that this seed germinate.

I'm asking for any suggestions that could help this single seed to germinate.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treat it like a seed...

float it in water just until it sinks, then take it out and put it in a damp paper towel, humidity dome over it, never let it get cold.

I have heard of people scoring the outside of the seed, makes it easier for the plant to break out, but I have no experience with it.

Good luck, I would love to get my hands on that strain. I have a PT who loves the medical effects of MMJ but isn't really interested in the high.

Cedar

There is already a strain called Strawberry Twist that is KK Strawberry Cough X Blueberry. Been going around out west for quite some time and it is VERY POTENT.

Sounds like someone is selling hermie genetics. There are no labs currently (not even in California) that can give you an accurate THC % or CBD %. There have never been accepted universal standards put in place for testing, and you can test a bud from different sections of the same plant and will get different results.

Peanutbutter , its all about moisture and warmth . Keep her moist and in the dark at a temp no higher than 80 and no lower than 70 . It could take weeks , so dont throw if she does not pop in a few days .. Many use a little bleach in there water to control fungus due to the long terms some seeds need to sprout .

As when watering cannabis , I only use neutral phd h20 for sprouting seeds , its as close to rain water as I can get for free lol I have had seeds pop in less than 24 hours but have seen seeds that took weeks ... OD

:goodjob: :goodjob:

not real sure about the bleach,,but i would give it a try!

Peace

FTW

Jim

The aspect of using bleach to kill fungus on seeds goes well back to the pioneers of modern gardening .. I wanted to drop a little link here for those who may be curious to this practice ..http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx

I couldnt get the adress to open,,,thanks any how,,id try it,,i have heard of many people doing it,,I kinda thought the peroxide mite be less risky,,,,but seems the bleach works for most that try it,,,Thanks!

good luck pb hope you get a beauty from the lil beaner

Peace

FTW

Jim

If you do use either bleach or H2O2 make VERY sure that whatever mediums you put the seed in after soaking are absolutely sterile. By using those you are creating a sprout that is left wide open for root rot (Pythium) and other fungal and bacterial diseases. It's tap root won't have the normal defenses that a seed soaked in tap water or rainwater would naturally have.

and this is a really interesting discussion. Porc, i had no idea those content analyses were contentious. that is especially interesting, given the fact that they cost so much!

That is the reason that CPA/Nuggetry (California Patients Association) in Santa Ana, still won't have their meds checked as of yet, and they are probably the best dispensary out in California. They are seeing how everything pans out in the near future with all the different labs popping up out of nowhere. From what I last heard they were fairly impressed with one outfit in the Oaksterdam area and were watching them pretty closely.

Whatever day you decide to harvest each strain in each individual grow area will make a difference in the testing results, also differing in percentages from the bottom of the plant to the top if it is all harvested at once. So I don't think there will ever be a universal way to test, other than to average out multiple sample tests from the one particular batch being sampled.

I would drop all 3 seeds into a cup of rainwater at room temperature and keep in dark. If in 5 days they haven't split to the point you can see a glint of white, no matter how long you wait they will likely never germinate. After 5 days switch water--put one drop of bleach from a medicine dropper into a gallon of rainwater and use that to stop any fungus--and thereafter change that slight bleach/water liquid every 5 days. I've had seeds soaked for weeks then transferred to soil mix eventually germinate after 65 or so days, but the odds against it if they haven't split after rainwater 5 days? In the thousands if not 100's of thousands, and those that do are usually runts that never develop. When I do % of germination checks (some states require them of seed sellers, for instance, Oregon), I take 300 seeds, put in a cup with rainwater, room temp in dark, and those that split enuf to show white I count as germinated, and at the end of 5 days, those split versus those not determines what to report to the state as the percentage guaranteed to germinate. (Under that percentage the buyer has a claim). (This method has been shown to be as accurate as using a $3,000 germinator). Best of sprouting!

Edited by grewett

Does time matter? That is, time from harvest.

Should it wait to completely dry out? Will it pop directly from the dried bud or should it dry a little longer?

Generally a "good" seed is viable at harvest-time, but most people let their seeds dry for a couple weeks from the time that they harvest.

Generally a "good" seed is viable at harvest-time, but most people let their seeds dry for a couple weeks from the time that they harvest.

And thank you.

I just wanted to be sure that it didn't need to dry out for a month or something..

This is one shot. I need to give it the best chance.

I light run an emery stick or sandpaper against the seed

Then I pop it into a rapid rooter, pushing it about 1/4 of an inch down

then I plant the rooter into a beer cup with a hole in the bottom.

Use a sharpie to id the strain on the side of the cup. keep moist.

No soaking , no transfer which can damage the sprout, then the thing grows directly into the dirt or other medium you may find appropriate.

It works every time.

And thank you.

I just wanted to be sure that it didn't need to dry out for a month or something..

This is one shot. I need to give it the best chance.

I hope it works out for you.

When the time comes to flower it, I would keep it separate from your other stock as you already know it has a tendency to herm, just until you can figure out if it was only a simple light leak or from some other poor husbandry practice. That way in the future you will know whether you can safely run it with your other girls, or if you need to run her separately in order to get those CBD levels you are seeking.

I hope it works out for you.

When the time comes to flower it, I would keep it separate from your other stock as you already know it has a tendency to herm, just until you can figure out if it was only a simple light leak or from some other poor husbandry practice. That way in the future you will know whether you can safely run it with your other girls, or if you need to run her separately in order to get those CBD levels you are seeking.

Another item I've wanted to look at is if a shift takes place when a female goes into seed production.

Plant has a different set of needs at that time. It's possible a shift takes place in productions also.

Several variables.

Made a small batch of Simpson oil with the Blue Cough. I mixed it 50/50 with a batch of oil from a over ripe batch of untrimmed bud. High in CBN ..

It's past 4AM .. It's pretty confirmed that CBD has an "awake" effect. I'm baked yet awake. I lie down to sleep and work out world peace and such other things. They all sound great until I try to remember how it all goes .. Like a constant "twilight" moment.

Looks like I should use the CBD stuff for daytime and the high CBN stuff for night.

PB, don't forget, there are some who say that thc, cbd, and cbn levels are not only affected by genetics, but also by harvest time. so it is possible to harvest a heavy indica plant early that would normally loaded with CBD and CBN. But, because of its early harvest, the plant did not get to develop the cannabanoids as it should have, and winds up not packing the punch it would have.

PB, don't forget, there are some who say that thc, cbd, and cbn levels are not only affected by genetics, but also by harvest time. so it is possible to harvest a heavy indica plant early that would normally loaded with CBD and CBN. But, because of its early harvest, the plant did not get to develop the cannabanoids as it should have, and winds up not packing the punch it would have.

The levels of CBN increase as the tricombs turn amber. Same kind of degradation turns steal to rust. Blue blood to red.

CBD is produced at the same time as the THC is. I could have it wrong but it's my current understanding that CBD also degrades into CBN.

CBN is very well known for its sedative effect. The content of CBN in cannabis depends on these others having been generated and then degraded. Determined by amber color.

The UN reported that the CBD ratio/content could vary with growing conditions. Variations took place around Mg content. To little or to much, both caused an increase in CBD ratio content. Peek production of THC varied with the iron content.

Just received a observation that seeds that were six months old seemed to germinate much easier than fresh harvested. I've done a small amount of seed production and have noticed this also. These seeds that I made before were autoflower strains. I also noticed a similar problem with fresh Free Lenard seeds from Swampy. Stubborn to germinate when freshly harvested.