Kandy Kush, Lemon Cake, Headband Patient Journal.

Darkmatter

I have always wanted to cultivate cannabis indoors. Now my doctor and the state says I can! WOOOOO!

Buckle-up it might be a bumpy ride!

After much study I have decided on DWC. I am using 5 gallon buckets fitted with 5" net pots filled with hydroton.

I am using a 70LPM air pump to power 6 sites with 4" disc air stones.

I found a cheap bat-wing 1000w HPS

Air intake is brought in with a cheapo 4" blower fan, air exhaust is evacuated using a 6" 400cfm inline fan.

The room is cooled and de-humidified using a 5000btu AC unit.

Walls are lined with 2-faced brand poly.

Using general hydroponics nutes. (I followed the chart on my 1st filling, and have had climbing PH since. I will not do that again, when I change my water i will use the lucas method)

Now I have moved in clones Lemon Cake, Headband, and Kandy Kush. They were stunted at first but they are looking much better now. I will get newer pictures up soon.

*I appreciate any tips but I do have an experienced medical grower teaching me.I spend a few hours a week learning with them. I will listen to this persons advice 1st and foremost.

Thanks for stopping in. I had to work really hard to get all the gear lined up, and had to make some sacrifices. Finally time to go to work!

1650578d1308230923-dwc-medical-grow-kandy-kush-hpim6801.jpg

Kandy Kush:

1650580d1308230971-dwc-medical-grow-kandy-kush-hpim6806.jpg

Lemon Cake: stunted

1650583d1308231012-dwc-medical-grow-kandy-kush-hpim6803.jpg

Headband:

1650586d1308231052-dwc-medical-grow-kandy-kush-hpim6814.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to watching you learn and helping you learn along the way but I have a feeling you won`t need it. I was really happy with my Kandy Kush and everyone knows you can`t lose with Lemon Cake. I have never tried Headband but I have heard it is some tasty stuff. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Peace, Afi

There We Go " Darkmatter "

Looking Good Now ... :thumbsu:

I won't be too much help ,

But I enjoy other peoples hard work

and Progress ...

Really Nice Set-up ...

What Size Room ?

Is this your Veg Room or Bloom Room ?

Anyways looking foward to watching you

become a Master Grower ...

Have to let Us know when Samples are Ready ...

Thanks for Sharing ....

Today we are looking much healthier. PH has somewhat stablized at 5.8-6.0. I have noticed that I seem to have gnats. I used some old hydroton and i am guessing I did not wash it well enough. I will handle them this weekend as I seem to have caught it early. I now have roots poking through the net pots that are white and healthy looking. I have the tops pruned to bush them out. New growth looks ok.

What Size Room ?

Is this your Veg Room or Bloom Room ?

The room is 16'X 16'X 7'

It is both for now. That is why I have them huddled in the corner like that. Next harvest I will build a partition and add some T5s or a MH for a veg/clone area. But for now this is all i could muster financially. I am going for a perpetual harvest in the end-game. This is to get me going before the world passes me by. The area you see will be my bloom room. Right now they are in veg (18/6 Photoperiod)

HPIM6832.jpg

Lemon Cake is doing better:

HPIM6846.jpg

Kandy Kush:

HPIM6835.jpg

Headband:

HPIM6851.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. 1st off I had to cover my lids with tin-foil because i noticed a small amount of brown algae growing on the air tubes inside of my buckets. I changed my water washed everything down and with the buckets now covered, there is 0 presence of it returning.

Things are growing well despite 2 problems I am having but will have to wait until pay-day to fix.

1st off. I am only using the lucas method now. I will be changing to dyna-grow nutes on friday. I did not like where my PH and PPM went with General hydroponics. I mixed 8micro/16flora and came up funky. 5.2 ph and 700 ppm. Also my teacher uses dyna-grow lucas style and has great results.

HPIM6887.jpg

Woot for roots Lemon Cake!

HPIM6899.jpg

Garden Profile:

HPIM6889.jpg

After todays topping and spraying:

HPIM6904.jpg

2 Girls on the right are Headband, 0 pests here:

HPIM6902.jpg

Kandy Kush has some problems (That are my fault): I added azamax to my water and forgot to spray the roots on just this one. It is heavily infected with gnats now. But it is the only one as I am spraying all plants every other day still.

HPIM6898.jpg

HPIM6896.jpg

HPIM6889.jpg

Thats KK in the front in this pic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well things have been going better lately. I have changed to Dyna-Gro Nutrients using the Lucas method, and have been fighting the root gnats back fairly well. My girls have been on their new feeding plan for 2 weeks now. No more goofy PH/TDS levels. I have flushed them with 600ppm solution to get the old nutes out, and they are now sitting in RO water at 5.5ph / 900ppm. It's now time to flower these gals.

HPIM69662.jpg

HPIM69682.jpg

Roots look good enough to eat! (Lemon Cake A)

68546979-1.jpg

Lemon Cake A: I love the way this plant grows, Nodes are close together, and leaves are looking ok.

68126971.jpg

Headband is looking sweet:

68186972.jpg

My Kandy Kush plants still have a few gnats hanging on the roots,and are very lanky. I worry about them, I still give them azamax all over ( In the buckets on water change, and drenching the hydroton, spraying the roots, pots, and leaves every 2-3 days.One is stretching like crazy. The other looks ok.

HPIM6973.jpg

HPIM6969.jpg

One of the lower leaves, new growth is not doing this yet.

HPIM6977.jpg

Learning a lot. I am not 100% pleased with the results so far, but I don't think I will be until the next grow. I will be dumping the bubbling buckets and going for a modified flood and drain bucket system that I have seen do EXTREMELY well. I will also be getting a R/O system. With my pain level increasing I can not keep hauling water forever.

Oh and I moved everything to better use the space I have. I originally wanted to make the whole room a perpetual system so I have it huddled in the corner. This whole grow is moving after this harvest So i don;t need to do that anymore. I noticed I had the buckets laid out wrong when my mentor told me that the light footprint here is 3'X4' So I re-thought that as well.

HPIM6888.jpg

Moved the light and buckets:

HPIM69672.jpg

Hempchef is right, keep electricity "waist high and you won't die"! your air pump and ballast need to be 3 feet off the ground. ask BrownThumbDave what happens when there's a water leak that reaches an air pump and you touch your light hood while standing in that puddle.

good times!

also, I'd concider changing those clear air lines out for opaque (black) ones. 1/4" flex is cheap by the roll at Home D or Lowe's and they have all the fittings. over time alge will grow in the clear tubes, break loose and begin to clog your air stones. w/o air those plants will die in a few short hours

Dyna-Grow and Lemon Cake, you can't go wrong with that combination! :thumbsu:

People have told me Dyna-Grow is old school and I should switch to the newer ferts but I've been using Dyna-Grow for years and have always had great results.

FYI

Lemon Cake benefits more from a long slow cure than any strain I have ever run across. If you can wait for it you will be greatly rewarded. (Although it's darn good without a long cure too)

also, I'd concider changing those clear air lines out for opaque (black) ones. 1/4" flex is cheap by the roll at Home D or Lowe's and they have all the fittings. over time alge will grow in the clear tubes, break loose and begin to clog your air stones. w/o air those plants will die in a few short hours

I have already bought the line. It will be installed monday! :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of bummed. Headband hermied on me today i think.

Yep yep, both of my Headbands hermied. My temp/humidity is fine even today: 81 deg 67% humidity max. There are no lighting problems. 0 pests (the gnats in my garden where on Kandy Kush, but they are gone now as far as i know. They have some nutrient build up and need a flush, so maybe that is what caused it?

Here is the same picture edited.

HPIM7038-1.jpg

I am really bummed out right now it's been a rotten day from the second I got up. Now 2 out of 6 of my plants are getting the axe. 1/3rd of my harvest. It is less than 2 weeks into flower I am hoping lemon cake and kandy kush fill in the canopy to compensate. I am going to get in there tomorrow and do some bending. Hoping that will fill some gaps.

...What a week.I also found out that it will take over 25% of my income to get health insurance and I will have to wait 1 year to get my neck treated (pre-existing condition). :growl: :growl: :growl:

/endrant thanks for listening.

Here is what Headband looked like 1 week ago. I will post new pics tomorrow if I have time. Lemon Cake is looking awesome and Kandy Kush is coming back too!

HPIM6990.jpg

Lemon Cake 1 week ago:

HPIM6986.jpg

I have also got the pump and ballast raised up off the ground now (thanks Hemp-Chef and LongHairBri).

Archived