Man Must Choose Marijuana Or Daughter

link

A strange twist to the controversial medical marijuana law. A father is in jeopardy of losing custody of his 10-year-old daughter, all because he can legally smoke marijuana.

Livingston Thompson Jr. has epilepsy. He's been dealing with it for 20 years. And according to him, nothing has really helped except for the marijuana.

"It relaxes me. I'm not as stressed. I discovered that my epileptic seizures -- some of them are stress activated," said Thompson.

But his medication of choice could cost him his daughter, Shylynn.

"If I lost custody of my daughter it would crush me. They'd probably see a lot more episodes."

That's something Shylnn can't handle.

"If my daddy lost custody of me I'd be sad, just as sad as he would be if he lost cusody of me. Because my dad has had me for ten years. And I don't want to lose my dad," said Shylynn.

Last year, Thompson spanked his daughter and Child Protective Services was called. It was decided that Shylynn wasn't in any danger and could return home; but, Thompson now has to get periodic drug testing.

"I explained to the judge that should be modified because my client has a medical marijuana card," said attorney Charles Ford.

The judge has decided that marijuana is not the best treatment for his epilepsy. And, that it's in the best interest of the child that the parents are drug free. But the bigger question here is, with a state law that's so unclear, could other parents fall into the same situation?

"If he tested positive there's a strong possibility that he could lose his child," said Ford.

Thompson says this is a fight he can't afford to lose.

"I don't want to lose my family," said Shylynn.

Thompson can choose to appeal the judge's decision. He can make the case that his medical marijuana does not impair his judgment as a father and that he needs it for his medical condition. If he doesn't appeal, then he has to stop using, otherwise she could be taken from the household. An appeal would be precedent-setting because this is really the first time a judge has interpreted the law like this. If the decision stands, then similar cases could have the same outcome.

link

A strange twist to the controversial medical marijuana law. A father is in jeopardy of losing custody of his 10-year-old daughter, all because he can legally smoke marijuana.

Livingston Thompson Jr. has epilepsy. He's been dealing with it for 20 years. And according to him, nothing has really helped except for the marijuana.

"It relaxes me. I'm not as stressed. I discovered that my epileptic seizures -- some of them are stress activated," said Thompson.

But his medication of choice could cost him his daughter, Shylynn.

"If I lost custody of my daughter it would crush me. They'd probably see a lot more episodes."

That's something Shylnn can't handle.

"If my daddy lost custody of me I'd be sad, just as sad as he would be if he lost cusody of me. Because my dad has had me for ten years. And I don't want to lose my dad," said Shylynn.

Last year, Thompson spanked his daughter and Child Protective Services was called. It was decided that Shylynn wasn't in any danger and could return home; but, Thompson now has to get periodic drug testing.

"I explained to the judge that should be modified because my client has a medical marijuana card," said attorney Charles Ford.

The judge has decided that marijuana is not the best treatment for his epilepsy. And, that it's in the best interest of the child that the parents are drug free. But the bigger question here is, with a state law that's so unclear, could other parents fall into the same situation?

"If he tested positive there's a strong possibility that he could lose his child," said Ford.

Thompson says this is a fight he can't afford to lose.

"I don't want to lose my family," said Shylynn.

Thompson can choose to appeal the judge's decision. He can make the case that his medical marijuana does not impair his judgment as a father and that he needs it for his medical condition. If he doesn't appeal, then he has to stop using, otherwise she could be taken from the household. An appeal would be precedent-setting because this is really the first time a judge has interpreted the law like this. If the decision stands, then similar cases could have the same outcome.

Wow Nazis also took children away from there parents. Is History starting to repeat it self again,I do know this I no longer can celebrate the 4th of July with love and respect for this country as I once did and I will no longer will fly the American flag or even look at it with out shame and disgust I know this sounds a little personal but I took it extremely personal when our Government came to my home with guns drawn and committed armed robbery against me and ,my family with out ever filling charges or having due process in a court of law Just like The Nazis and when you ask these Nazi thugs what about Obahma giving a directive to not allocate resources against medical marijuana patients in Medical Marijuana State who are complying with the States medical marijuana law , These Nazis thugs responded by saying that Obahma is not there President so as long as we have these Nazi thug branches of our Government like the DEA, Law enforcement and Judicial continue to enforce there will against the will of people and a directive of the President of the United States.I can no longer consider myself as an American but only as a Freedom Fighter.and I will fight with the Truth. You can push the people so far and eventually they will revolt, .

What is amazing is next week you will see millions of American wasting money on fireworks and celebrate the birth of this country which used to be an example of Freedom but now is only an example of hypocrisy and this I can not pay honor or respect to only a blind fool can just like the Germans did when they celebrated Hitler when he first came to power Not only are these Nazi thugs playing Judge jury and executioner but they are also playing Dr and dictating to us what we can and can not use to treat our illnesses or symptoms and circumventing the recommendation of our own Dr And since we have Judges who now think they more educated and qualified to give medical advise and enforce there medical recommendations should they not also be subjected to malpractice Law suit when there enforcement of medical treatment harms and injures some one, So whats next concentration camps for ,medical marijuana patients

I'd like to know where the judge got his medical degree. The "Judge" decided that MMJ wasn't the best medication for Epilepsy? And how did he determine this?

If this Judge does not have a medical license he should be brought up on charges of practicing medicine with out a license same goes for anyone how would deny someone treatment recommended by a licensed Medical Dr

Guest knucklehead bob

I'd like to know where the judge got his medical degree. The "Judge" decided that MMJ wasn't the best medication for Epilepsy? And how did he determine this?

Through 80 years of lying Govt. !

Thank you this is just what was needed to be included in correspondence I was working on .. I think when writing representatives giving links to examples of discrimination help . Emotions with negative reactions do not they just fan the flames of anger or distract attention from real issues - facts have a dramatic effect . Our legislators are so busy they often miss hearing real world items and sending a link or a copy in a letter documenting them creates a sense of interest and invites legislators to take our cause more seriously . They then are on the lookout for supportive information on their own and know others are paying attention . They may even help the participants directly and spend more time analyzing the effects of legislation being put in front of them .

Archived