Home Insurance Pays For Stolen Plants

Scooter

A patient in my area had 7 plants stolen from his legal facility. He reported it to the police immediately upon coming home after work and discovering it. An officer came out, made a report, and left. The officer agreed that the facility was secure and legal, and did not question the patient regarding anything but the break-in. The patient then reported the break-in to his insurance, which I thought was a waste of time and told him so. He was compensated $1,000 per plant!! Apparently the insurance company used the DEA figures regarding plant value, and he was paid $7,000.00. I was present during the police report, and I personally saw the insurance check when he received it. I was astounded. He was ripped on September 20, and received his check October 12. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it? I did not believe they would pay him until I saw the check.

Well, the insurance company could drop this person after settling. One person that had a house fire, the insurance paid for everything, including rebuilding the room (not the meds lost). BUT, then the insurance company dropped them, stating that they failed to get a 'add-on rider for a greenhouse'.

This is important - the insurance company could deny damages for 'non-household' stuff - I suppose if you had a business out of your house and a house fire cost $10,000 in damages due to business items lost - they might say its above and beyond a normal house coverage.

So - my question is - did the person notify the insurance company that they had a grow room and had it insured?

Definitely, I want the name of the company too! They will get my business!

DN

I had spoken to AAA about this type of situation. I was told that if there was a pay-out, it would be to self-sustaining patients. Caregivers would be SOL because business enterprises are not covered under homeowner policies (except in the case of daycare of family members).

Yeah, your policy would be cancelled and noted, thus impossible to get coverage from any other company.

By the way.....we had just switched over our homeowners to them. We had our car insurance with them for a while but, had a different homeowners ins. It was less than 2 months before we were broken into.

They did not drop us. We still have Progressive. They were out of NY, I believe. They had to look into things, but.....because we are legal and it was in the police report. They covered us.

the CEO of Progressive Ins is the Same guy heading up one of the Medical Legalization move in Ohio. I understand he has put 10million of his own into Ohios movement, and if im not mistaken also helped Michigan with a substancial financial gift to the cause.

Hes been a long time proponant of the legalization movement.

no idea Q. i would imagine just a rider for indoor gardening. i understand some flowering plants can pull in as much as 100.00 a pop. I dont recall if it was a geranium or something else, but that is current going rate for one in bloom. so i dont know why MMJ would be any different then a indoor setup for geraniums at 100.00 a pop. until you had to make a claim perhaps.

im with AAA, and im sure i could probably get a rider. been with them for 25 plus years, and have auto and home thru them. they have always treated me Good. so I want to go to progressive, but that would be the only reason id be leaving a long term relationship, with vested benefits.

i am not sure i would include plants unless it meant my patients were going to have to go without, then at least the insurance would allow me to cover their needs...

also

i would defiantly want my gear protected...

some careless robbers are sure to break bulbs, locks, lights, ballasts... anything of that nature....especially if god forbid my house were to burn down....

i intend to switch over to progressive from state farm.

i have used state farm here in my hometown since i could drive... 25 years. however they have recently been giving me grief... sent back a payment then raised my rates... i was done with them already, so for me to switch is pretty easy, i was already shopping...

thank you for posting this thread, it has helped me.:goodjob:

We did not have to tell them we were growing prior to getting our policy, and ABSOLUTELY we claimed the plants! They took not only the plants but any meds they could find cured, dried, hanging.........It was devastating!

The insurance didn't go up (in fact,it actually has gone down a bit since then) , nor get dropped.....nor did we then get inspected.

I guess until you are in the situation, and you are looking at your house that has been ransacked, and someone's nasty hands have been through your under ware drawer, and you can't go to work because you are freaking out that they are going to come back to get a few things they missed...... you couldn't possibly understand wanting to be fully compensated.

They money we got from the insurance we used to increase security. This will never happen to us again.......And, if they TRY.....they will CERTAINLY be caught. (although, in our situation....2 of the 3 people we suspect of doing the break in are now dead...one OD'D on pills and one shot herself)

I recently had a theft and was afraid to have authorities come out unless my health care aid was present as a witness . They stopped showing up as soon as it was discovered afraid themselves or not wanting to be involved . I further heard their evaluations of me were poor . This is the second time I have had a theft when under the care of people from my health care team whom then disappeared as it was discovered - even threatened . When the profits are so high for foster care , as well as discrimination against patients that treat for severe pain it really starts the wheels turning in your head . So many people are in desperate situations with families to support but that doesn't justify theft .These thefts have ruined relationships throughout my life as hard as I try not to let them or the fact I am using a legal viable alternative therapy for irreplaceable comfort . I hope caregivers realize they have a responsibility to their patients .

I too am afraid of loosing my insurance or the premiums being raised . However I know for the benefit of all people where I live I must make sure a report listing the items are on file . I hope law enforcement becomes more encouraging in their support of patients . We should never fear them or arrest but as sure as their have been some who take advantage of the program to sell inappropriately for profit so are some in Law Enforcement making improper arrests and even convictions when a medical defense cannot be raised . The law is fine as written but patients need more protections .

@ irishgreen, sounds like Karma got to them. I swear by it!

Apparently (No pun intended ) Farmers insurance covers such losses. But they are now making it mandatory that you have to inform your insurance carrier that you have them and have photographic proof of them being in your care. I spoke to a friend who owns an insurance agency and he stated they could follow federal law and disallow such claims, but it is apparently up to the company and/or the agency in question. He said his wouldn't, and he runs an Allstate branch.

Now, the only problem here is - like Scooter said - it is still up to insurance companies to decide if they want to pay out or not - they can always point to the Federal CSA laws and say you were illegal.

Get it in writing, so that probably means getting a rider that explicitly states its covered.

DN

Ya know Scooter......I fully agree.........although they say, Karma is only as big a complain as "you" are. (not meaning YOU) LOL However, I fully believe they both along with the third person that is still alive are very tortured.

They are/were all on pills. Everything from Xanax to Soboxin or however you spell it. They were to the point that they were stealing from everyone they possibly could.

They sad thing is they were good people before they got on the drugs. Pills are the worst thing........I swear they are this generations epidemic like Polio or Aids......

Ya know Scooter......I fully agree.........although they say, Karma is only as big a complain as "you" are. (not meaning YOU) LOL However, I fully believe they both along with the third person that is still alive are very tortured.

They are/were all on pills. Everything from Xanax to Soboxin or however you spell it. They were to the point that they were stealing from everyone they possibly could.

They sad thing is they were good people before they got on the drugs. Pills are the worst thing........I swear they are this generations epidemic like Polio or Aids......

Remember on the pills there are people in serious pain that must be treated or they suffer to the point of suicide . There is a problem as we do not have adequate treatment facilities or even protocols in our State or Country to help people . Prescription drugs of all classes often do terrible harm to people whom are ignored . This drug war was killing patients even before the latest rebirth of MM which is helping many where access without fear is available . I truly believe the good pharmacuetical grade cannabis , can be a positive tool to help people in addiction medicine .

Truthfully the medical system let these people down not able to keep them comfortable and then society as there are no easily understood or accessable saftey nets for people starving right now , people are proud and many whom are sick and injured with families sit at home confused unable provide for them in this economy .However that can't be used to excuse theft which destroys communities and unlike medicinal cannabis use is against cannon law . Shame on those in Law Enforcement that are creating a aura that they won't protect patients like any other citizen and encouraging good relations with them with public assurance of it .

If these individuals are are brought to trail I know others of us in the area that would like to follow the court cases to try to put together whether we were also their victims . I have lost over 10% of my total worth to theft in the last several years , I rarely even leave my home and Law Enforcement is unable to catch them even with hard evidence . Stealing from patients and the disabled is as low as you can get in my book these people must be stopped because they will repeat their offenses and use our situations ( being medical cannabis patients ) as a excuse to vindicate their behaviors . Patients are making unbelievable sacrifices and risks so change to occur . We need cannabis back as a medical tool . Please post any news articles on the arrests . Thanks .

Archived