Room 90% Done, What To Use?

TheBeagle

If it were me, I'd be starting out in soil, til I got to the point where I felt more comfortable with the whole grow routine. The thing I like best about soil is that it is much more forgiving than any other method, if I were to screw up a soil grow I'd have a couple of days to correct the error, whereas, with hydro, the plants can die overnight. I think you'll be relieved and able to sleep nights using a soil or soil mix. JMHO j.b.

The Beagle,

If you do buy that DWC kit, spend the $1.55 extra and upgrade to the 5 gallon bucket. 4 plants will suck the nutes out of the 3.5 gallon bucket within hours. It will only hold about 2 gallons of nute solution in the 3.5 gallon bucket, because the level needs to be just below the bottom of the net pots.

Why does it cost more for hydro? Is it just the nutrient use? So lets say I had the 5 gallon bubble bucket how often would I need to add or change nutrient solution? Days or a week? I agree with Estimated on the soil I am only growing a couple plants so I can see it being a pain with many plants.

I grow in organic soil and it's pretty labor intensive.

Hauling dirt, mixing supersoil, transplanting, hand watering, etc

It takes work to nurture your soil.

My friends who have their hydro systems dialed in seem to have a much more maintenance free setup, with the benefit of more robust growth.

How long does it take to get "dialed in" ?

The Bubble buckets are very inexpensive. Tote, Net pots, Hydroton. Less labor intensive you just have to watch the PPM's and the pH a lot. You could go with a flood and drain 2x4 table I believe they are $50-$70 each. You use a 15gal tote as the rez. Add a pump + a timer your at $100.00. 6" net pots plus Hydroton. $30-$50. Either system you need a good air pump.

As a soil grower I've never been overly concerned with PH, especially since I only use OMRI rated organics, in the proper amounts. I used RO water for a time, but have found that plain old well water works just as well for my situation. Now that I've gotten my grow routine dialed in I seldom get lockout, when I do it is quite simple to clean up. I feed my soil with micronuterients, folic and beneficials, this helps my soil to be extremely healthy. Healthy soil = healthy plants ... I'd rather haul a sack of dirt than 5 gal containers of water any day. j.b.

My idea is as small as your room is use dirt at first . Sunshine #4 Advanced is all set to go out of the package so no muss and fuss mixing or buying several items to put in there and if you use 3 gallon containers you will get more then one grow out of a single 1 cubic foot bag you can find for $15 bucks on sale . Smart pots with handles and suacers set under . Mix your fertilizer doing that lucus method . I agree with the poster that said hydro in that spot would be problemic . Make sure you put the Panda film down on the floor going about 6 inches up the wall with no damage paint tape . Or a few tacs you can spackle and paint later since it is a closet . Don't forget a cool air intake under the door or somewhere low unless your worried about stealth light inside the home . There is no right or wrong way just tried and true basics your doing great . I think if you use Fox Farms you need to supplement a few other items in the soil . .

well right now im goin on a hunt in my attic to find a vent ...i know their has to be a vent somewhere in there as i believe all attic need some sort of vent i know there is vents ABOVE my room im just not sure it all the attics around my room connect to the attic above my room Id think it would but im not sure, if in fact i do find a vent..then i can toss in some ducting from my exhaust fan (seen ithe pic above the square bit on the wall

you want yield and speed use a bubbleponics RDWC system with the LUCAS METHOD

Dirt for Connoisseur phreaks(mean that in a good way)

if you wanna bubble it PM me i will tell you anything that might help

I have written where I was having trouble with the bubble buckets while my ebb and grow tray system works great . Well I found if I put two airstones in the bucket and make sure the bubbles hit the pot and roots they are doing better . I use a turkey baster to get ph samples and keep them at 5.5 and the water in the mid 70's . My room isn't vented thats my next project . That and getting a new air conditioner after reading how non efficient my twenty year old one is . DTE will give me a discount and haul old appliances off for free . The hard part is being able to function on a scheduled day . I think trying two of each might be a great learnings experience . Dirt usually has less chance of failure . I like the Sunshine mix did you buy the Fox Farms ?

Archived