Need Some Soil Advice

Since I started growing last Feb. I've used Roots Organic for veging my plants. The guy who got me started, an experienced grower, said to use that and feed 1/2 the GH feed chart. It became obvious to me a while back that the plants were getting too much nitrogen, so I quit feeding. The problem now is that they're still getting too much nitrogen, and it can only be coming from the Roots. A while back one of the bags of Roots was so acidic that my plants hardly grew. So, having had these problems with Roots Original, can anyone steer me to another product for veg that won't give me these problems? Tell me why you like it too. Thanks.

I could take pics but I don't know how to post them. I've read two articles that describe the effects of too much nitrogen... 'the claw', dark green leaves, leaves curling under along the edges, leathery, wrinkled leaves, new leaves that twist, and stunted growth. It's happening to all of my plants in veg to one degree or another, so I know it's not just a specific strain. Since I had one bag that was too acidic, could I just have gotten one that's too hot? Even if that's the case, I'd rather use something that's more consistent.

When I flushed my plants, the water I used was around 6.6, and the run-off was just a little lower, but the ppm's were over 2200(my water is about 250 ppm's). In the past I think that may have been part of my problem, as I was ph-ing my water to about 6, and read in the same articles and in Cervantes book that around 6.5 is ideal. Now I'm watering 6.4 to 6.6. The twisting leaves look like a ph problem, but there are the other symptoms too. I sure would like to get this one figured out.

Are there different types of Promix? I use Promix when I put the plants in 5 gal Smart Pots. Is there one for veg?

promix, is a one size fits all,, veg and flower are treated differently by the nutrients that you add, and by the ppm ,,,not the soil..YOU are the one that decides how hot or not it is... nutrient control... ph control.. and i never run over 6.0 ever.. veg or flower.. more like a 5.9 and monitor... there is two types of pro mix, there is pro mix hp... holds more water.. and promix bx holds less water..

Edited by Willy

I use promix, I dont put any nutes in it for at least 2 weeks after i transplant my clones, the directions say dont use any nutes for at least 7 days, use distilled water the first week or 2 at like 6.5 ph, when i first started using it, i was putting nutes in rite away, my water going in was like 579 and ph between 6 and under 7 ph, my run off was around 6 ph and ive had it rise as much as to 3500 ppms, yea,,,one of my plants i took out side and poured 20 gallons of ph'd distilled water to get it back down near like 1200 ppms, that is one of the things i like about pro mix it seems to drain real well, I put nutes in my plant for 2 waterings than i do one with just ph'd water, every 3rd watering i only put ph'd water in it, it seems to keep me under 1000 ppms, and my ph between 6 and 6.5.

I thought i was the only one that took reading on my run off lol!

Peace

Jim

if you are getting too many nutes, why not just grow in straight coco ?

should be ph neutral...

what problems do you get with nitrogen abundance? none of the books explain it.

i read on a forum once that it causes leafy buds? buds have leaves, very confusing.

anyone got a real answer ?

Promix is great for veggie and bloom, i've tried foxfarm, happyfrog, vermicrop, basement mix, and a few unknown brands along the way and i found if your your gona use a organic pre ammended soil its gona make feeding your plants alot tougher than it has to be.I like to run a mix of 50%perlite 25% promix and 25% organic like happy frog.i use this for veg and bloom. This mix requires frequent watering opposed to the 3 or so days with straight outa the bag soil.the amount of perlite in this mix is key, the soil is very airy

if you are getting too many nutes, why not just grow in straight coco ?

should be ph neutral...

what problems do you get with nitrogen abundance? none of the books explain it.

i read on a forum once that it causes leafy buds? buds have leaves, very confusing.

anyone got a real answer ?

http://www.rollitup.org/newbie-central/103677-ph-other-plant-problems-solutions.html

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuanagrowers.net/index.php?/topic/156-self-diagnose-your-plant-problems/

Here are two sites to help with diagnosing plant problems. When they describe a plant that's getting too much nitrogen, that's what mine look like... the leaves get dark green, the tip curls under ('the claw'), the edges of the leaves curl under, they eventually get wrinkly and leathery looking, and plant growth is stunted.

What exactly is coco and how is it different (or better) then Promix?