Conservative Detroit 'red' Newspapers Editorial Opinion.....not Even The Liberal 'blue' One--

Editorial: Stop denying patients access to marijuana

The state Supreme Court's recent ruling that patient-to-patient medical marijuana transactions are not covered by the state's medical pot law leaves Michigan residents with the right to use the drug as a medicine, but with poor options for obtaining it.

That wasn't the intent of voters in 2008 when they approved a ballot measure to make it easier for patients to use medicinal marijuana.

Dispensaries weren't written into the law because of the fear that they would turn Michigan into "the next California," where pot-selling storefronts are so popular that even marijuana-tolerant areas such as Los Angeles are trying to roll them back.

But without dispensaries or the ability to buy from other patients, those who need marijuana have to either grow it themselves or get it from a caregiver authorized to distribute it.

Neither patients nor caregivers should be placed in that position.

If marijuana is a medicine, as voters here said it is, then patients should have a safe, licensed outlet for obtaining it, just like they do for any other medicine.

Ideally, patients should be able to get medicinal pot from a pharmacy. But that would require a rescheduling of marijuana at the federal level, which is not likely.

That leaves dispensaries as the best outlet. We agree with local communities concerned that the pot dispensaries too often became little more than head shops, selling marijuana along with a variety of drug paraphernalia.

Dispensaries should be carefully regulated and monitored by the state, and they should sell only marijuana that is inspected and approved. They should not become a means of getting pot more widely into the community.

And lawmakers should examine, and if necessary tighten, the rules governing who qualifies as a medical marijuana patient and how they obtain certification.

State Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville, has introduced legislation, House Bill 4271, that would allow medical marijuana patients to buy from dispensaries (in the communities that choose to allow them), and transport their medicine without fear of seizure or arrest.

Callton, a chiropractor, told The Detroit News he approaches medical marijuana from a wellness perspective, not a law enforcement one. Though he personally voted against the 2008 law, Callton recognizes that it's not the place of legislators to undermine what voters approved.

He's backing legislation to establish legal dispensaries, and has bipartisan support. Lawmakers should take this opportunity to reconcile the will of the voters with the needs of patients. "There's got to be a reasonable method of access," says Callton. "That cancer patient, that AIDS patient doesn't have four to six months to wait to grow their own. They need relief right now."

It shouldn't be so difficult for the Legislature to craft a law that provides patients with access to marijuana and also protects communities. Patients who need blood pressure medicine don't have to make it in their kitchens; patients who need marijuana shouldn't have to grow it in their backyards.

HB 4271 co-sponsors

Rep. Tom McMillin, R–Rochester Hills

Rep. Pete Pettalia, R–Presque Isle

Rep. Jon Bumstead, R–Newaygo

Rep. Frank Foster, R–Petoskey

Rep. Kevin Daley, R–Lum Twp.

Rep. Greg MacMaster, R–Kewadin

Rep. Ken Yonker, R–Caledonia

Rep. Phil Potvin, R–Cadillac

Rep. Jeff Irwin, D–Ann Arbor

Rep. Brandon Dillon, D–Grand Rapids

Rep. Woodrow Stanley, D–Flint

Rep. Marcia Hovey-Wright, D–Muskegon

Rep. Jim Ananich, D–Flint

Rep. Thomas Stallworth, D–Detroit

Rep. Phil Cavanagh, D–Redford Twp.

Rep. Sam Singh, D–East Lansing

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130226/OPINION01/302260325

Edited by purple pimpernel

And lawmakers should examine, and if necessary tighten, the rules governing who qualifies as a medical marijuana patient and how they obtain certification.

Why would it be necessary to tighten the rules? Perhaps they should try to implement the law as written first.

They haven't really tried that yet.

OOPS their mask fell off for a second there.

Dispensaries should be carefully regulated and monitored by the state, and they should sell only marijuana that is inspected and approved. They should not become a means of getting pot more widely into the community.

They can't do that it's just trying to scare people into dropping out of the program

I would not worry to much what the news paper say

Someone is paying them to print it

Who would that be?

Hint Quote;

But without dispensaries or the ability to buy from other patients, those who need marijuana have to either grow it themselves or get it from a caregiver authorized to distribute it.

They (the politicians) will keep screwing with the MMM Act until they force the people of Michigan to vote cannabis 'fully legal' as has been done in Washington State and Colorado.

The politicians in Michigan should take their blindfolds off and see what is taking place in regards to the cannabis / marijuana issue around the nation.

Do they think 'legalization' can't happen here???

I have news for them.... IT CAN!!!!

They (the politicians) will keep screwing with the MMM Act until they force the people of Michigan to vote cannabis 'fully legal' as has been done in Washington State and Colorado.

The politicians in Michigan should take their blindfolds off and see what is taking place in regards to the cannabis / marijuana issue around the nation.

Do they think 'legalization' can't happen here???

I have news for them.... IT CAN!!!!

Why would the legislature suddenly leave it alone even if the voters fully legalize it? They have not left medical mj alone in spite of voter wants.

I guess I have become jaded by watching the medical MJ process unfold. I think the legislators will continue to meddle with any voter initiatiated mj law until the individual politicians, the police, and the state can all figure a way to get money out of the program.

The arguments presented in this editorial should have been anticipated and a coherent response planned before we collectively decided to call marijuana medicine.

The moment you start calling something medicine, people will expect it to be treated and controlled just like any other medicine. It is inevitable that big money, big pharmaceutical, and big ag will have their fingers in this knuckle deep.

Look for Monsanto's Roundup Ready cannabis, complete with the Terminator gene so that it cannot be pollinated, within half a decade.

At first I heard like others that the Bill had no chance. maybe it's just the folks I am around but I keep hearing it's getting traction and this might have legs. Any thoughts?

Mal your prognostication toward political outcomes is always impressive. Do you see something like this going through, or do you think it's just posturing and it will go away?

^^^^^^^^^thats the spirit guys!!

.....I heard the governer was going to sign it---??

----the last 6mos have been a set up for this.........?

yes I would like to hear the informed opinion....I think it's a 'done deal'---jmo

there is a wonderful Internet tool called google--

-all you have to do is punch in "latest Michigan medical marijuana news"--and you too can find this bunny muffin!

along with other things you may not have wanted to find but are important-

.....I heard the governer was going to sign it---??

yes I would like to hear the informed opinion....I think it's a 'done deal'---jmo

When I first heard about it, I assumed DOA like most of these Bills. But now, after reading opinions here and abroad it appears that there is a lot of support for it, even Editorials like the above in strange quarters.

My basic questions would be if it is going to pass....how long would it take to go through? Weeks, months?

Is there legit support to see this through? Why would the Governor support something his AG seems so desperately opposed to?

^^^^^^wouldnt that be one way to control everything?

no disrespect but ....duh? a homer moment..?

I heard it from a reliable source that Snyder is going to sign it--

to regain the upper hand so to speak.....? ....

right now they are screaming for rules thru the MSP and local municipalities that don't want it in their communities

--this would allow them to be able to tightly regulate/control dispensarie$ and keep control of the 'market'---that would seem to make sense now wouldn't it...?

regardless of the AG opinion and ideologies ....it's here to stay how do you control it? and get $ out of it for your own benefit??

XXXXX dispensaries are going to hand it to them in order to be able to make $$ and legitimize themselves....boycott these mofos!!

all in the name of safe pt access! BS-

but I am just speculating based on my very small bit of info I have from folks who do political campaigns---for repubs...

and retired cop 'friends'--

I guess the mining bill doesn't seemed too far fetched when you view the big picture--

and all the mega corps seeking access to the market here in mich and elsewhere with their patented cannabis 'products'---

if you haven't noticed or aren't aware of the bigger picture.....

this "regulation" rhetoric and zoning ordinance talk is going on in every mmj state in the country right now as I type--

think it is coincidence....?

no it's a very well orchestrated plan by the Feds to put govt on top of the equation--

Hegelian dialectic----thesis ...antithesis.....synthesis how govt works-

all by using di$pen$ary lust as the ways to their means--the fools running the dispensaries are blinded with greed...or don't care

those folks supporting this should google Colorado dispensaries for sale and realize the big picture---

many have sunk their whole life into these only to find that the bigger ones are the only ones making $ and will survive in the end and you may as well get into the restaurant or bar business....competition will be the same

kinda like a 'Walmart' approach to mmj---only the biggest strongest will survive the capatalist mantra--

I mean they know they ain't going to stop the mmj crowd....so what's the next best way to keep the upper hand?

.....outlaw pt-pt transfers for any reason.......and legitimize sales thru tightly regulated and controlled dispensarie$--jm2c

and when would it go effective?

prolly the minute he signs it the way the dispensary folks are all foaming at the mouth for thi$---jmo

and the political whores with their hands out for re-election-

you are aware that harbourside and some of their Colorado allies have shops here in Michigan and are feverishly working to make this happen and have now seemed to get the support they have been so desperately seeking for this....

.using dispensary owners own blind greed against them--

there are shops in Ypsilanti and Ann arbor started with help from harbourside and are affiliated with them and all their teams of lawyers--mayb you aren't aware of this-

it's the Ann arbor crowd going to see this thru and that pisses me off!

Edited by mibrains
removed offensive word

Why would the legislature suddenly leave it alone even if the voters fully legalize it? They have not left medical mj alone in spite of voter wants.

I guess I have become jaded by watching the medical MJ process unfold. I think the legislators will continue to meddle with any voter initiatiated mj law until the individual politicians, the police, and the state can all figure a way to get money out of the program.

I'll let someone else worry about the issue of dispensaries, but cannabis, legalized either for 'medical' or for 'general use' as in Colorado, is going to be controlled by the government in one form or another, no getting around it, so we might as well get used to the idea.

The best we can hope to do is protect the individual patient's right to grow for him / herself or have a care giver do it for them, and the same grow rights should be extended to an individual if MJ is legalized for general use.

And if MJ were legalized for recreational use, far fewer people would be going to jail for its use whether they're medical users or otherwise.

MTCW.