Holy Crap, The Federal Government Is Conceding!

This is a big deal. The difference between this and past memos is that they US AG called both Governors of the two LEGAL RECREATIONAL USE STATES and informed them that the US Government will not attempt to stop their outright legalization. That is HUGE......... Now whether or not they stand by their word is a different story but it is huge that they are not outright trying to throw the Federal trump card.

They are still going to prosecute people not abiding by the state laws in Colorado and Washington.  If you start a large commercial grow operation outside of Spokane, from what I understand, that's illegal according to Washington state law, and the feds will raid and prosecute you.

The memo is stating they will treat the recreational states in the same way they are treating medical states.  How's that working out for us?  Nothing changes for anybody basically.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still going to prosecute people not abiding by the state laws in Colorado and Washington.  If you start a large commercial grow operation outside of Spokane, from what I understand, that's illegal according to Washington state law, and the feds will raid and prosecute you.

The memo is stating they will treat the recreational states in the same way they are treating medical states.  How's that working out for us?  Nothing changes for anybody basically.

Well for one I am not talking about dispensaries, commercial grows or anything like that. I agree but the fact that they say they are not going to flat out try and stop those states from going forward with their legalization is a huge step forward in my opinion.

I don't see it that way......... Almost everything the State and Federal Government does regarding marijuana does nothing but strengthen the drug cartels.

So you're saying that people who buy from a cartel are being left alone?  I guess than means that only people who are buying from CGs are getting messed with? 

What exactly does this statement mean?  :    ' As long as you buy from a cartel they'll leave you alone.'

With or without this statement from the feds, within 4 years I believe at least 4 other states will become 'recreational use' states.

Heck, Michigan might even get there one if these days!

Ya just never know, do ya?

Being stoned is the best way to deal with this place.

This really is a huge change from the federal government. They've said states can allow citizens to use marijuana (medical or recreational) and license people to grow it and sell it- and as long as its kept away from children, the black market, and federal land IT'S OK. Anyone who says that isn't a HUGE shift for the Feds is delusional

Edited by Natesilver

This really is a huge change from the federal government. They've said states can allow citizens to use marijuana (medical or recreational) and license people to grow it and sell it- and as long as its kept away from children, the black market, and federal land IT'S OK. Anyone who says that isn't a HUGE shift for the Feds is delusional

States will now have to pay for the enforcement that the feds once paid for, can Michigan afford this? This might also mean re-writing some laws to make things fit into what the feds want.

They've already said this Nate.  They said it in relation to MMJ states.  This memo says they will treat Colorado and Washington in exactly the same way they are already treating MMJ states.

As I said before, how's that working out for us?  

Just like MMJ states memo, they are still going to raid and bust you for breaking state laws.  Just like they are doing right now in Michigan and California.

They've already said this Nate. They said it in relation to MMJ states. This memo says they will treat Colorado and Washington in exactly the same way they are already treating MMJ states.

As I said before, how's that working out for us?

Just like MMJ states memo, they are still going to raid and bust you for breaking state laws. Just like they are doing right now in Michigan and California.

Did you actually read any of the news? I can provide a link for you if you need one! Edited by Natesilver

Nate Silver:(before edit)  So only large scale commercial etc will have trouble(paraphrase)

And small scale if they violate certain principles; and anyone they feel like depending on the weather that day. ;-)

The memo is definitely a positive thing, but it is only a half step forward(which is good).

Just keep voting for democratic presidents and it will get better. :-)

Just keep voting for democratic congress and it will get better.

Moving forward.

Did you actually read any of the news? I can provide a link for you if you need one!

Did you actually read the memo?  Here's a link to the actual memo, not just a news story where someone wrote their interpretation of it.:

http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

What do you think?  That I'm giving opinions on something that I haven't actually informed myself on, and done some real research into, instead of allowing others to interpret for me.....................

Just keep voting for democratic presidents and it will get better. :-)

Just keep voting for democratic congress and it will get better.

Moving forward.

Just so people don't get frumpy at me for saying that. Here is the last full floor vote they had to allow States to govern use of medical cannabis. Hinchey/Rohrbacher amendment:

Republican: Aye- 15  Noes- 210

Democratic: Aye- 145 Noes- 54

it's a huge deal.

it's a small victory but has such far reaching implications. 

they just gave the green light to 2 states to tax, grow, and regulate cannabis for recreational use instead of medical... 

now the feds have to prove criminal intent instead of just having plants growing someplace which equals criminal conspiracy and intent..

it is small step..

yet

HUGE..

for the time being.. I remain in a "ill believe it when I see it" state of mind and actions.

for now I do support a legalization effort here in Michigan to include industrial hemp and a whole new era of energy production and agricultural shifts to more responsible farming techniques for our countries food productions in general..

im dreaming again LOL

now the feds have to prove criminal intent instead of just having plants growing someplace which equals criminal conspiracy and intent..

i wish i could agree to this but i am sorry i can't

until someone has been to  a court room they won't understand be it State of Fed i have been to both  and it's easy for the PA to prove it because all they need to do in a Fed court house is to say to the jury 

Ladys and gentlemen of the jury i will prove to you that he/she was growing Cannabis 

And in a State court you can't even have a jury yet and be able to say you have a card Yet

Seriously, nothing has changed. There is nothing new in this memo that the feds haven't already said.  They are still going to bust dispensaries in Michigan.  People are misinterpreting this, just like they misinterpreted the last justice department memo.  

Again i do agree 

no one should believe this memo it's the same as the last one only they add to State names to it 

Noticed they stated they can still sue states in the future.

I agree nothing had changed.

You know what a pacifier is,?

No i had to look it up

pacifier (North American English), dummy (Britain and other Commonwealth countries), binky, or soother (in some countries) is a rubberplastic, or silicone nipple given to an infant or other young child to suck upon. In its standard appearance it has a teat, mouth shield, and handle. The mouth shield and/or the handle is large enough to avoid the danger of the child choking on it or swallowing it.

What this means to my mind is that if a state, including  Michigan, passes pro-cannabis laws,  the feds are at least willing to let the 'state' deal with it under 'state law' as long as things don't get out of hand, like MJ going from 'legal states' into states that don't allow cannabis, etc.

I believe the feds realize the cannabis movement is here to stay and there's becoming very little they can do about it.

We just have to get our 'federal reps' to remove their craniums from a lower bodily region, and change the federal laws so that they respect states' rights to allow the use of cannabis... then the federal enforcement agencies will have no other choice but to allow things to progress. 

But that also means we here in Michigan have to be ready to 'help' things change. 

I believe the feds realize the cannabis movement is here to stay and there's becoming very little they can do about it

am sorry but just ask the Lansing 7 how it worked out for them

What this means is that the feds won't mess with anyone unless they are breaking the state law.  That's how they handled it before.  This memo only included the recreational states of Washington and Colorado in addition to the legal MMJ states.  As long as the state of Michigan believes dispensaries are illegal, which it currently does because of the McQueen decision saying the only legal way to transfer MMJ is to transfer it to your legally registered patients, then they are subject to federal raids and prosecution.

Maybe

I tend to agree with Cell, this means nothing for Michigan now but might clear the way for dispensary legislation in the future.

He is also correct in that the system we have here is a caregiver/self growing patient system.  Period.  With this memo we may actually see more raids on ad hoc 'dispensaries' here.  They are not following state law.

Dr. Bob

YUP!